Forums > Windsurfing General

Is windsurfing popularity still declining?

Created by SWS > 9 months ago, 11 Aug 2011
Mark _australia
WA, 22414 posts
9 Sep 2011 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

Underoath said...

Windsurfing is for pensioners who havent quite hit the nursing home yet.

4.bp.blogspot.com/_RwwKohkEitY/SXW81uU-LOI/AAAAAAAAATw/9UqoLG60f6w/s400/internalrace003.

and cant get it up!

I love this post.

The similarity between the picture of the windsurfers and your avatar is astounding. Learning to windsurf, and a picture if a guy getting dragged by a kite. Both depict the learning stage right?
Difference is the windsurfers will progress thru a never ending learning cyle where there is new things to do. Where it take years to get good, and thus a real sense of achievement is realised.
But the dude in the avatar will continue to dangle under a bar. Sometimes swing his legs left, sometimes to the right, whilst in the air.
Bl00dy fascinating.

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
10 Sep 2011 12:33AM
Thumbs Up

Dr J did you try SUP in any kind of surf?

That would be a no. Far easier to just pay out then actually give it a try really ain't it?

I'm kinda over the thread now, I've been surfing or sailing for over 30 years so I figure I've actually earnt the right to have an opinion that I based in fact. Either accept that others have an opinion or shut the **** up.

DrJ
ACT, 481 posts
10 Sep 2011 6:04AM
Thumbs Up

Dude, have you been on the sauce? I am guessing so, I hope you feel better tomorrow and have some respect and regret.

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
10 Sep 2011 8:02AM
Thumbs Up

Respect is earnt J

KenHo
NSW, 1353 posts
10 Sep 2011 8:30AM
Thumbs Up

Talk is cheap, don'cha know !!
I bin toled that.

Al Planet
TAS, 1546 posts
10 Sep 2011 2:44PM
Thumbs Up

Just a whole bunch of poms who don't realise they aren't truly windsurfing in their funny outfits and their silly paddle boards with sticks and the night windsurfing with jet skis and......they seem to be having fun.....don't they know their economy is stuffed .....stop looking so happy....and stop planning next years event....go and take up golf or tennis or darts.......

#!

Underoath
QLD, 2433 posts
10 Sep 2011 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

Mark _australia said...

Underoath said...

Windsurfing is for pensioners who havent quite hit the nursing home yet.

4.bp.blogspot.com/_RwwKohkEitY/SXW81uU-LOI/AAAAAAAAATw/9UqoLG60f6w/s400/internalrace003.

and cant get it up!

I love this post.

The similarity between the picture of the windsurfers and your avatar is astounding. Learning to windsurf, and a picture if a guy getting dragged by a kite. Both depict the learning stage right?
Difference is the windsurfers will progress thru a never ending learning cyle where there is new things to do. Where it take years to get good, and thus a real sense of achievement is realised.
But the dude in the avatar will continue to dangle under a bar. Sometimes swing his legs left, sometimes to the right, whilst in the air.
Bl00dy fascinating.

Yeah it's a sweet photo, my avatar is one of my raleys over the Pt Walter sand bar........it was a good 30m jump with obvious risk, thanks for noticing.

Not everyone is a slow learner.

If that's is your only the argument as to why windsurfing is kickass..... I just lol

windsufering
VIC, 1124 posts
10 Sep 2011 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

if you have to come on a windsurf forum ummm get a life simple man

Underoath
QLD, 2433 posts
10 Sep 2011 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

windsufering said...

if you have to come on a windsurf forum ummm get a life simple man

Got one the moment I starting using 5 lines.....

dougr
NSW, 34 posts
10 Sep 2011 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah it's a sweet photo, my avatar is one of my raleys over the Pt Walter sand bar........it was a good 30m jump with obvious risk, thanks for noticing.

Not everyone is a slow learner.

If that's is your only the argument as to why windsurfing is kickass..... I just lol

Why is everyone feeding the Troll...

i am early 20's and just started Windsurfing - i didn't pick Kite Surfing because it's like owning an iPhone; not everyone knows why Kite Surfing is Cooler/More awesome than windsurfing, but someone told them before they chose the sport themselves so it must be true...

This thread appears to be actually trying to stimulate intellectual conversation about the topic - not turn into a flame war between windsurfers and the kite surfing 'jock' fraternity; go back to your own forum please:

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/General/

jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
10 Sep 2011 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

I went windsurfing today, what did you guys do???

DrJ
ACT, 481 posts
10 Sep 2011 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

jh2703 said...

I went to Sydney to pick up my sister from the airport, and had to watch thd trees bending in the wind all the way home.... Thinking of leaving my new board in the garden tonight, if it rains at least it will have got wet ...

That said, even if I could have gone windsurfing I don't know if I would have?

It's just not as popular as it used to be !

Mobydisc
NSW, 9029 posts
10 Sep 2011 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

I had to drop off my wife at the airport for a flight. Stopped off on the way home to La Perouse to say g'day to a mate who was windsurfing. It looked pretty good. If the wind moderates a bit tomorrow I'll give it a go as I've got to take it easy right now.

I think windsurfing is becoming more popular. I saw a fair few people out windsurfing today.

Haircut
QLD, 6481 posts
10 Sep 2011 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

DrJ
ACT, 481 posts
10 Sep 2011 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

Haircut said...

Priceless

razzmatazz
NSW, 184 posts
10 Sep 2011 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

went to Narrabeen and struggled in the gusts. still managed #.5 hrs on the water or better say !.5 on the water the other two in it. Luckily it's not to deep but I reckon I still have to find that spot in Sydney for Westerlies.
And there is no decline. There was at lest one other newbie out there with me so it's actually increasing - +2- at the moment.

albers
NSW, 1737 posts
10 Sep 2011 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

DrJ said...

Haircut said...

Priceless

Hairless

confused
NSW, 175 posts
10 Sep 2011 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

Chatted to 3 people who were either new to or getting back in to windsurfing at lake dangerous today, not bad for a pretty cold and all over the place wind session.

Mrgob
116 posts
10 Sep 2011 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

Over here (U.K.) the continuing good health of windsurfing is not a given.

The current absurd pricing structure of new gear .... boards £1,500+, sails £500+ etc, ...has had two main effects.
1) New board sales are in the doldrums, and all the windsurfers I sail with refuse to pay such prices, They are all buying second hand or older discount stuff, but that cannot last. When that supply chain is exhausted, what then?
2) The dealers who remain in business are on the edge, and having to diversify to survive, especially under recession conditions. (Bikes, kayaks, clothing lines, kites. S.U.P.'s etc.)

Whether or not newcomers wish to take up windsurfing the declining market structure (and dealers know it is declining) will effectively deter them, and push them into the growing 'band wagon' sports. Biking shop sales are BOOMING despite the downturn, and there seems to be more biking magazines on shop shelves than you can shake a stick at. It is a virile and rapidly growing market, whereas windsurfing seems to the young to be fading out.

Those who live in prime windsurfing areas (good winds and good surf on tap) are in denial at the real picture. As a long time water sports enthusiast (windsurfing 30 years and on the water more than most) I sense the stench of decline in 'our' sport. Yesterday was quite good 5.4 conditions yet only a handful (3 of us to be precise) turned up, and 2 of them spent half the day talking in the car park before rigging!

starboarder
QLD, 187 posts
10 Sep 2011 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

Its almost like 20-30 year olds dont exist, they are either super young or super mature

fjdoug
ACT, 548 posts
10 Sep 2011 11:27PM
Thumbs Up

the reason it died is because school teachers don't windsurf anymore.
in the early eighties half our club were school teachers.
every wednesday they would bring half a dozen students to the lake and go windsurfing.

the final nail in the coffin was the introduction of the sputnik270.
everyone bought one then found they could not turn without doing laydowns.

pierrec45
NSW, 2005 posts
11 Sep 2011 4:26AM
Thumbs Up

fjdoug said...

the reason it died is because school teachers don't windsurf anymore.
in the early eighties half our club were school teachers.

Sorry but in the 80s, everyone - not only schools - would teach friends, cousins and GFs and the likes. At any given time at Narrabeen or Balmoral or even Kurnell, you'd see people teach friends. Plus the schools, of course.

This kind of "altruism" died around or before 1990, I guess general attitude coming with the fancy equipment and the 2-week-holiday a year windsurfing pros, perhaps it's sign of the modern times - not sure. I know many who claim they are "too good" to teach. (what is the smiley I could insert here for a cough and a wank?).

Price of boards: you're right brand new equipment is expensive, almost prohibitive. Well deserved.

In Australia, I believe the new Windsurfer goes for under $2k. One can sail this in nearly all winds, from 8-25 knots, until one decides to go waves or freestyle and so on. Even if you ditch it later, it's not that expensive a rental in the end.

pierrec45
NSW, 2005 posts
11 Sep 2011 4:35AM
Thumbs Up

jh2703 said...

Exactly.

I took a neighbour's daughter who was interested in trying SUPing. 20yo and already obviously in need of a sport. Went out with her at 7am, dead calm, she went far and had fun, good for her (I read a book, she's boring to watch).

Then wind picked up to a mere 13-14 knots. Decided to do freestyle longboarding whilst swapping equipment with a friend who had shorter board and huge sail. Frankly it was border-line, but in the end we both had fun. (Had not played water switcheroos in yonks).

Bunch of guys on the side, waiting for the non-wind to pick up.

Typical Great Lakes day - borderline, some have fun, others don't.

DrJ
ACT, 481 posts
11 Sep 2011 7:54AM
Thumbs Up

Ahhhhh the problem with nostalgia is that it is simply not as good as it was when I was a lad!

petermac33
WA, 6415 posts
11 Sep 2011 6:16AM
Thumbs Up

saw these prices on speedsurfing forum,not a cheap sport.

BRAND NEW, never used, Severne Reflex II (2011)

7.8 retail € 969 --> now €775

7.0 retail € 909 --> now € 750

6.2 retail € 869 --> now € 725

With 1 year warranty!!!!

barn
WA, 2960 posts
11 Sep 2011 7:48AM
Thumbs Up

Al Planet said...

Just a whole bunch of poms who don't realise they aren't truly windsurfing in their funny outfits and their silly paddle boards with sticks and the night windsurfing with jet skis and......they seem to be having fun.....don't they know their economy is stuffed .....stop looking so happy....and stop planning next years event....go and take up golf or tennis or darts.......

http://www.you***tube.com/watch?v=sjalENCziSo&feature=player_embedded#!

It can still draw a crowd from the social side of things, the age old saying, 'Windsurfing is not about the windsurfing, it's the talking about the windsurfing' Those UK events never get any wind, people go for the same reason people go to the Mambo..

I am good mates with all the 'I'll be there' guys, and they all work seasons, spending ten months living a year in windy locations.. In the quest of getting time on the water, like me, they packed up and moved to somewhere windy.. Unsurprisingly those guys are the best windsurfers in the UK..

When these guys move back to the real world, they really notice how windless the real world is.... And conclude that it's a silly sport..

Thats the difference, I've lived in locations where it's windy, I know how good windsurfing can be as a sport.. People don't realise how much better windsurfing every day is compared to once a week..

I think longboards are being seriously over rated around here... We all have testimonials about a fun Weekend doing lightwind freestyle, or cruising around an island with mates, but in reality, nobody does that every afternoon..

Imagine if body builders got as much time in the Gym as your average Sydney Freerider..

This thread is running on empty, page 15 here we come..

SWS
SA, 196 posts
11 Sep 2011 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

petermac33 said...

saw these prices on speedsurfing forum,not a cheap sport.

BRAND NEW, never used, Severne Reflex II (2011)

7.8 retail € 969 --> now €775

7.0 retail € 909 --> now € 750

6.2 retail € 869 --> now € 725

With 1 year warranty!!!!

I guess they have to pay for Bjorn!

I think windsurfers have to take there blinkers off and look around there are a lot of brands out there that make good sails and and much cheaper.

Mrgob
116 posts
11 Sep 2011 8:38AM
Thumbs Up

Methinks you protest too much (and too frequently) Mr Barn!

Where, in your philosophy of life, does forging a career, raising a family, and taking part in all the other wonders and diversions of our time on earth fit in?

Has it not occured to you that the majority of people do not treat windsurfing, fascinating and compelling as it undoubtedly is, as their sole reason for living?

You come across mainly as trying to convince yourself that you are right, and the rest of the world needs to learn from you.

ma
NSW, 374 posts
11 Sep 2011 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

I dont live in a windy place [Newcaslte] I have one waveboard and 3 sails and sail more or less 2-3 days a week in summer. Sailed the first seabreeze of the season last week and it was more fun windsurfing than all of the surfing I had been doing all winter.

qldnacra
QLD, 455 posts
11 Sep 2011 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

KenHo said...

Talk is cheap, don'cha know !!
I bin toled that.

Funny that me too Ken

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Is windsurfing popularity still declining?" started by SWS