Forums > Windsurfing General

Maui windsurfing clinic 2013

Created by Yuppy > 9 months ago, 8 Nov 2013
Yuppy
VIC, 664 posts
8 Nov 2013 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

Maui windsurfing

I have wanted to go to Maui since 1993 when I watched my first Robby Naish video.

I just returned from my first trip and am happy to share my experience.

I opted for the Aloha clinic run by Matt Pritchard and Shawna Cropas. It runs on spreckelsville beach just 10 minutes around from the very famous Hookipa beach.

The windsurfing here suits all levels from bump and jump to advanced wave riding. You launch through a small beach break (like st Kilda in 20knots) and sail a large area of bump and jump. If you want to hit the waves you tack upwind 4 times and you are in the thick of it. The beauty of this break is if you don't want to jibe in the break. You can simply sail in on a wave to a bay conveniently located between the breaking waves and the beach. Plenty of time to fall in here and then line yourself up for a broad reach straight into the breaking waves....big jumps if you are game.

I am an advanced bump and jump rider but this was my first venture into the waves. My goal was to learn the safety aspects of wave riding - eg duck diving a sail - and gain the confidence to wave sail. Matt and Shawna gave me this.

The first two days were only 12 to 15 knots with 3 foot waves. Matt and Shawna told us to rig 5.0 sails on SUP boards. At this point I was considering going for a game of golf. SUP with a sail? This is lame!

I was wrong.

The SUP rides the waves like a Malibu. Whilst I slowly tacked out to the back of the break, as soon as the wave picked me up I leaned into the bottom turn with pace to do a massive carve and find myself surfing down the line. Matt joined me on a number of waves with his gopro attached.

The accommodation was basic, clean and comfortable. The location was the best! The rooms open onto a grassed area where you rig up and do tutorials. The beach directly adjoins this area.

Matt and Shawna are two of the most patient people I have met. They both still compete on the wave sailing world stage and offer a deep understanding of technique.

Vela (the booking agency) took care of everything except the flights. They booked:
Equipment, car hire, accommodation and the clinic. It was hassle free.

The equipment was all JP boards and Neil Pride sails. All of it was in good condition and no more than 2 years old. Someone in our clinic swapped equipment every day and Oliver at the shop was very accommodating. But just remember if you break something you have to pay for the repair. Just like it was your own kit.

Here are my top tips:
1. Do the clinic. You will not be disappointed.
2. Unless you sail 3 times a week, wear gloves. You don't spend much time in the harness when wave riding.
3. Add ten knots to the forecast at Maui. It is something to do with thermals.
4. If you can tack a beginner board, you are good enough to give this a go

I am going back in April. Even though I now know my way around, I would still hook up with Matt and Shawna again.

Here are Matt and shawna's links
www.pritchardwindsurfing.com
http://www.shawnacropas.com/alohawindsurfingclinics/

One day we had no wind at all so we all went to the Quattro factory where we were shown how they make everything... Sails and boards. I met a guy named Francesco Goya. He was seemed to know what was going on.

albers
NSW, 1737 posts
8 Nov 2013 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Yuppy said..

One day we had no wind at all so we all went to the Quattro factory where we were shown how they make everything... Sails and boards. I met a guy named Francesco Goya. He was seemed to know what was going on.

Hey, didn't you also meet a guy named Marcilio Browne

PS: Looks like you had a great holiday!

Yuppy
VIC, 664 posts
8 Nov 2013 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

Yep. Marcilio chatted with us for a good 20 mins. Lovely guy.

We also had a theory lesson from Jason diffin the Goya sail designer. He is the guy with his back to the camera.

The guy on the left of this shot is levi silver. He won the aloha classic the following week. You will all be interested to know the small board they use on Hookipa is about 82 liters!!,!

Dezza
NSW, 921 posts
9 Nov 2013 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like a great trip!

AJEaster
NSW, 696 posts
9 Nov 2013 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for sharing, it sounds like a great trip. I am going in July and intend on doing one of Matt and Shawna's courses as well. I am sure I have 20 years of self taught bad habits that need stripping back to make my sailing better.

Is that Pascal to the right in the last picture?

Yuppy
VIC, 664 posts
10 Nov 2013 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dezza said..

Sounds like a great trip!

hi dezza

it was your recommendation that got me over the line. so a BIG thanks to you.

EJ. yep the blond dreadlocks guy is pascal. he did the full factory tour for us

Dezza
NSW, 921 posts
10 Nov 2013 12:01PM
Thumbs Up

hi Yuppy that's great to hear! That clinic experience will stay with me forever, will be doing another one that's for sure :)

bzhpunishers
NSW, 37 posts
10 Nov 2013 12:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dezza said..

hi Yuppy that's great to hear! That clinic experience will stay with me forever, will be doing another one that's for sure :)

Hi guys,
Getting inspired... Always wanted to do a maui trip. How much is the clinic? What is the average budget all up for 2 -3 weeks?
Thinking of hitting the island in May, should be a good combination of wind and waves.
Any advise on accommodation, tips would be much appreciated!
Cheers

Dezza
NSW, 921 posts
11 Nov 2013 10:01AM
Thumbs Up

You'd probably looking at around $3k-$4k plus flights. I'm lining up to go on the May 14 clinic, 11 nights accomo and car hire, 10 days kit hire and the week clinic is $4k, will be cheaper if you're travelling with someone to share car/accom. The clinic dates for next year that Vela gave me are March 15-22, 2014
May 17-24, 2014; June 14-21, 2014; plus another one on October to be confirmed. The Vela contact is Karl @ info@velawindsurf.com, really helpful guy and will look at pricing a range of options if you want.

Flights on jetstar Sydney to Honolulu and a transfer from Honolulu to Maui, or you can go Haiwian Air which makes the transfer a bit easier, the airfares are pretty cheap at the moment compared to what I paid in March, lets hope the aussie $ stays up there a bit longer.

Yuppy
VIC, 664 posts
12 Nov 2013 12:11AM
Thumbs Up

bzhpunishers said..

Dezza said..

Hi guys,
Getting inspired... Always wanted to do a maui trip. How much is the clinic? What is the average budget all up for 2 -3 weeks?
Thinking of hitting the island in May, should be a good combination of wind and waves.
Any advise on accommodation, tips would be much appreciated!
Cheers

Hi BZ
I paid $2771 usd for my clinic, gear and accomodation right on the beach at spreckelsville. The clinic was 7 days. I am currently booking flights for April and am looking at jetstar for $1200 return to Honolulu and Hawaiian to Maui for $190 return. Add car rental to this.

When I go back in April, I'm taking the lovely wife and two kids so I need a bigger place. I will stay at coconutcovemaui.com/surfside/ You can launch from here.

The two places above have on site storage for you kit. Very easy!

The Paia inn is a great spot? Www.paiainn.com if you want to stay in town.

Just do it! It sparked something new in me. I've been a pig in mud ever since getting back.

Dezza
NSW, 921 posts
12 Nov 2013 9:22AM
Thumbs Up

coconut cove looks beautiful!

bzhpunishers
NSW, 37 posts
12 Nov 2013 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers guys!
Looks like I'm booking May!

starlasmith