Forums > Windsurfing General

SB Community OEM board ?

Created by Macroscien > 9 months ago, 13 Oct 2012
barn
WA, 2960 posts
23 Oct 2012 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

dan berry said...
Genius!!!! Um but how would you get the rods inside the balloon ??

Spiders! We'll train spiders...

We could use Chinese spiders and bring them over for free in microscientologist's containers. He always has free space.. This way we keep the price below $300..

(page 7!)

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
23 Oct 2012 12:17PM
Thumbs Up

OK I know cheap board doesn't sound good for those looking for their ego extension.
Similar like cars or jewellery, the pricer the better .
So I found solution to this problem also. To rise the value of the board.
To cheap reliable board you could attach fancy designer foot straps -Dakine-Luis Vuitton made or from crocodile skin a $2000 a pair.
Then you can have excuse to go shopping with your wife to Luis gallery outlet.
One bag for her and a pair of footstraps for you.
or fins made of protected sawfish or at least order custom art paint work.

stehsegler
WA, 3457 posts
23 Oct 2012 10:34AM
Thumbs Up

barn said...
Has anyone thought of Papier-mâché/cardboard construction? This is the obvious solution, 100% carbon boards, cheap... Plus you would never get any water inside cause there is a balloon in there!!!

Actually... I have done some experiments at Uni while studying structural engineering. You can hold quite a bit of weight on sheet of paper if it's rolled into a tube. In theory you could coat the paper with resin that prevents it from disintegrating when it gets wet.

The only problem is no such technology is currently at a stage where it can be used for the mass production of windsurf boards. So who would pay for the R&D? The people building $400 RRP boards?

Sailhack
VIC, 5000 posts
23 Oct 2012 3:07PM
Thumbs Up

stehsegler said...
barn said...
Has anyone thought of Papier-m?ch?/cardboard construction? This is the obvious solution, 100% carbon boards, cheap... Plus you would never get any water inside cause there is a balloon in there!!!

Actually... I have done some experiments at Uni while studying structural engineering. You can hold quite a bit of weight on sheet of paper if it's rolled into a tube. In theory you could coat the paper with resin that prevents it from disintegrating when it gets wet.

The only problem is no such technology is currently at a stage where it can be used for the mass production of windsurf boards. So who would pay for the R&D? The people building $400 RRP boards?

This guy (Sheldrake) might be onto something...

www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/05/what_happens_when_a_computer_programmer_decides_to_build_a_cheap_surfboard-2/

blog.merseabeaucoup.com/2009/05/cardboards.html

barn
WA, 2960 posts
23 Oct 2012 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

Al Planet
TAS, 1546 posts
23 Oct 2012 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

....has eclectic taste in music.

FormulaNova
WA, 14453 posts
23 Oct 2012 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

Oh no, this is going to get Macro started again!... if he reads it of course

barn
WA, 2960 posts
23 Oct 2012 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

FormulaNova said...

Oh no, this is going to get Macro started again!... if he reads it of course

Cardboard is too cheap, there is no way we'll get boards under 300 unless we get NASA on board.

Only then will we have people smart enough to somehow compress carbon paper enough that it turns into a sheet of diamond!! Then build the boards skin out of our diamond paper and fill it with laughing gas to 9000psi...

dan berry
WA, 2562 posts
23 Oct 2012 3:38PM
Thumbs Up

Al Planet said...

Yip. No labour involved there at all.

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
24 Oct 2012 9:43AM
Thumbs Up

Al Planet said...

and that is how look complete product

This is new computer designed modern shape board , completely rectangular.
Unlike ordinary boat very easy to calculate buoyancy
made of best quality recycled paper carton filled with sea grass.
Paper is protected from soaking water by optionally available polypropylene big rubbish bag , that could be drawn onto the board.
I want to draw your attention to modern straps that go all along the board so you could use at any desirable position.
We managed to drawn the price down from promised $500 to only $350 a piece
All you need to do is drill a hole for mast base and screw in a fin, Happy sailing

stehsegler
WA, 3457 posts
24 Oct 2012 8:00AM
Thumbs Up

dan berry said...
Yip. No labour involved there at all.

Yeah, but it's all small pieces so perfect for little children's hands in an indian sweatshop. They already have experience with sowing footballs. Putting a Mechano board together would be childsplay.

stehsegler
WA, 3457 posts
24 Oct 2012 8:03AM
Thumbs Up

Macroscien said...

Well there is a quality packing job if I have ever seen one.

dan berry
WA, 2562 posts
24 Oct 2012 9:43AM
Thumbs Up

That's not the packaging. That's macros finished shape, $299.99 self packaging. Just don't ding it and let the spiders out

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
24 Oct 2012 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

MacroScience...

...wait a minute. Have you misspelled your own username?!

Macroscien (sic) is an ideas man. That's all. Literally.

Personally I have a file on my phone called "Highdeas" for things just like this. Never to be released but often funny in retrospect.

FormulaNova
WA, 14453 posts
24 Oct 2012 10:04AM
Thumbs Up

stehsegler said...
Macroscien said...

Well there is a quality packing job if I have ever seen one.

Well, that is after the main product has already been removed from the container

Carantoc
WA, 6519 posts
24 Oct 2012 10:16AM
Thumbs Up

Don't you all realise this is how Nazi's planned to make boards.

Hitler sailed a 90 litre freewave.

objc
WA, 67 posts
24 Oct 2012 10:45AM
Thumbs Up

I can do them for free - just come to church with me on sunday and we can have a good pray about it. Jesus will provide

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
24 Oct 2012 2:16PM
Thumbs Up

FormulaNova said...
Well, that is after the main product has already been removed from the container

Port?

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
24 Oct 2012 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

Carantoc said...
Don't you all realise this is how Nazi's planned to make boards.

Hitler sailed a 90 litre freewave.

Actually Hitler had better idea and I saw myself huge ocean going ships made completely of reinforced concrete.
Some still standing by the river bank in Europe- you could see them at your nearest trip.
I saw also oceanic going yachts made of concrete, but I will be very reluctant to use reinforced concrete for our boards simply too strong for our requirements and need a couple of strong block to carry on the beach.

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
24 Oct 2012 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

objc said...
I can do them for free - just come to church with me on sunday and we can have a good pray about it. Jesus will provide

As far I know church service is not completely free either...
holy crap ... what if other "church" will fill our boards with TNT foam ?
Windsurfer busting aircraft carrier ?
so advice at least for some sailing near military important objects - shave your face clean or take burka off - you may be shot dead otherwise.

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
24 Oct 2012 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

WTF!!! Why is this muther ****ing **** still going on?

Al Planet
TAS, 1546 posts
24 Oct 2012 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

time to invoke Godwins Law.

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
24 Oct 2012 4:13PM
Thumbs Up

A cheap board for the masses... This **** stinks of communism.

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
24 Oct 2012 3:31PM
Thumbs Up

Good, we have already following contra arguments:
Hilter and Nazi, communism , anti Chinese, recycling and green topic, religion also covered...
what else ?
what about color? should our boat be made black or white?
Are women rights respected in this design ?
nobody said g** require special treatment
What about animal rights ? Should we do with soft fin - do not harm a jelly fish either ?

objc
WA, 67 posts
24 Oct 2012 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

FormulaNova
WA, 14453 posts
24 Oct 2012 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

Al Planet said...
time to invoke Godwins Law.

Hey, that's good, and obviously true!

r2908
NSW, 214 posts
25 Oct 2012 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

Is this topic about ripping off board shapes, Macro I have a robotic laser . . I can email you a 3d model of any board as long as I can get my hands on it for 20 mins.. $200 mate .. bargain ..

pirrad
SA, 850 posts
27 Oct 2012 6:58PM
Thumbs Up

I be ideas man just like u Macroscien, how about this, also incorporate inflatable technoligies to expand +volume deflate -decrease volume, chinese carbon equivalent rod joiner and make a component board that can have sections removed/ added to make bigger or smaller even velcro rail addons to make slalom board into waveboard,use suction technique to change concave.

I believe the technoligy is out there to do this and with chinese labour you could end up with multi-use board at very good price.

This thread is getting a little long, i should have starded a new thread, let me know Macroscien if you wish me to.

jn1
2454 posts
28 Oct 2012 8:13AM
Thumbs Up

Macro, this is very off topic (may need a new thread), but have you considered getting rid of that bulky pole that destroys the noses of so many boards, and something that is integrated into the sail itself so that mast/sail is one piece ? (less equipment = less confusion).

Paul Kelf
WA, 678 posts
28 Oct 2012 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

I finally found the photos

Paul Kelf said...
jermaldan said...
Really? 4 pages on this???

A board within a board within a board??? What would that weigh like 1 million kilo's???

While we are at it, lets discuss putting a little outboard motor on the back of the board just incase the wind dies... Fly screens on submarines. This is daft.

I made one back in 2002 I think.
Back when the big boards first started to appear.
It fitted over an F2 Ride 115L board & increased the width by about 30cm & volume by about 30-40 litres.
It was a twin fin & the connection was through the inner board's fin box.

It was called the "Overboard" but nicknamed "The Shoe"
It actually worked well but the construction was crap & it filled with water

I would be happy to sell the manufacturing rights
I will see if I can dig out a photo

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"SB Community OEM board ?" started by Macroscien