Forums > Windsurfing General

Surfersgroup boards ? SG-R 380 any info?

Created by blazing928 > 9 months ago, 16 Aug 2016
blazing928
VIC, 106 posts
16 Aug 2016 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

Hi
looking at boards- as you do after a bottle of red...hmm- training I say!, these look interesting but very little info
Any one have any thing to add?
Surfersgroup boards . SG-R 380 any info

www.surfersgroup.com

joe windsurf
1480 posts
17 Aug 2016 5:49AM
Thumbs Up

the way it goes through the water - reminds me of the RSD2

John340
QLD, 3116 posts
17 Aug 2016 8:21AM
Thumbs Up

Looks very similar to the Exocet D2 Raceboard

blazing928
VIC, 106 posts
17 Aug 2016 9:21PM
Thumbs Up

yes, seen those vids. looks like a cross between D2 board & raceboard

blazing928
VIC, 106 posts
27 Aug 2016 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

some info I've got from Surfers Group after I mentioned the bow in a email!

The SurfersGroup 380 is a complete different board than the D2. The 2012 worlds was a bit of a disaster for the Exocet boss who was on site. They promoted the board in Europe using Stephan van de Berg in marketing. But during the event all the riders (without 1, a Dutchman body weight 150 kilo) who raced the D2 gave up after 2 days. Even some passed champions we know who would ride that board didn’t show up I myself actually was in love seeing the first presentation of the D2 during the worlds in 2011. But after I have seen the first trailer of Stephan van den Berg in low wind conditions
I was disappointed as I’m heavy weight 105 kilo and Stephan is still <70 kilo (it glides slower than a Laser) and started to build the proto of the SurfersGroup 380.

Some major differences: Weight : +/- 5% without dagger and foot straps.
SurfersGroup 380 is 12.5 kilo The D2 is 24 kilo,
We measured 3 different D2 boards at Masters Worlds in 2012.
Width: SurfersGroup 380, 65cm D2, 77cm
Volume: SurfersGroup 380, 290L D2, 428L
Shape: SurfersGroup 380 has an box rails flat tail D2 has an round rails bevel tail
nose: SurfersGroup 380 has a positive nose, it follows the wave. The D2 has a negative nose that points in to the wave. The shape differences make the SurfersGroup glide earlier and box rails will lift the tail as the D2 still is sticky. The buoyancy of the D2 should be a benefit of that board but the shape and the weight are against.

The SurfersGroup out classes the D2 and the 377L the new Exocet RS 380 in the up wind course The position of the tail foot straps of The SurfersGroup 380 is closer to the rails than Exocet RS 380 and 377L wings and gives a better downwind control it makes the SurfersGroup easier to ride than ten 377L and New RS In 15 to 20 knot wind I hunt and kill slalom boards. ;-)

There are also major differences in the construction. The SurfersGroup boards are hollow and build like a kayak/ race car using prepreg fibers and vacuum infusion technique. We have a multi fibber layup on the deck /bottom and inside. The core is designed in using different materials and strength. As we do not have an 0,20 x290l= 5,8 kilo EPS core. That weight benefit makes it that we are able to double/triple fibre/layup materials compared to other raceboard manufacturers.
The Production boards like Starboard 377l and Exocet never are the weight of Officials ISAF registration. Simple mathematics show that. The EPS core weight of the D2 428 litre board is 10 kilo the PVC core 2 kilo. Build in, the Fin box, mastrack foot strap inserts, vent, dagger board casket and strips, some kind of coating and non-skid weight close to 5 kilo. Is a total of 17 kilo so if the board registration is 14.5 kilo then there is nothing left for the fibber and epoxy.????

The weight and construction of Mistral One Design or the older Mistral competition epoxy and the Mistral board you ride now, build some time ago are tougher and lighter than the new raceboards of Starboard and Exocet build now.

AyreForce1
NSW, 339 posts
20 Sep 2016 11:05PM
Thumbs Up

I like the look of the shape as detailed in one of the youtube vids.
But where can you get these boards, at what cost, etc?
Apart from these 2012/2013 videos there's not much info available.
www.surfersgroup.com does not seem to be a valid address?
Apart from one entrant in the 2014 worlds, have any been used in recent championships?

blazing928
VIC, 106 posts
20 Sep 2016 11:59PM
Thumbs Up

yes, not a lot of info...Apparently Pedro Cortez got third in the 2013 worlds or euro champs.
A chap on International Raceboards facebook page has sailed all the raceboard; said they are very good in light winds, super fast upwind, he reckoned that in 20 knots the sailors skill was more important than the board.
For some reason the main site is not working at the moment, but the shop site is. They cost Euro 3200. The production of 2017 boards has started in September. I haven't heard back from Surfers Group as to availability.
All in all, not much info!

http://windsurfwarenhuis.nl/catalog/sgr-380-2016-p-275.html

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Surfersgroup boards ? SG-R 380 any info?" started by blazing928