Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

Burrum Windfest

Created by Gestalt > 9 months ago, 8 Dec 2009
bc
QLD, 700 posts
24 Mar 2010 11:22AM
Thumbs Up

What is the bottom wind limit is it 15 knots ?

Gestalt
QLD, 14373 posts
24 Mar 2010 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

yep simon that's on the money.

we set a 15 knot min wind for the speed, and i am sure we will reach that. it is accepted that at 15 knots slalom boards are faster than formula on a broad reach.

for the distance race a 10 knot min was set.

Chris Ting
NSW, 302 posts
24 Mar 2010 3:47PM
Thumbs Up

I reckon a Formula board will give a few slalom boards a fright at only 15 knots of wind.

In the spirit of the event, then NSW guys are only bringing speed and slalom boards. albeit some very big slalom boards.

Gestalt
QLD, 14373 posts
24 Mar 2010 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

we had a formula class the firat and second year of the event but no one took advantage of it.

looking at the hehum..... sunday is hehum......

also got confirmation today channel 7 are coming along again this year. they will be looking to cover both the distance event and the speed event.

pacman76
QLD, 123 posts
24 Mar 2010 7:23PM
Thumbs Up

The Townsville boys are in the house!!!!!!
Well actually the caravan park but it doesnt have the same ring to it.
See every one out on the water

steller_3
QLD, 123 posts
24 Mar 2010 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Distance comp? are you referring to nautical mile? or is this a separate thing.

Oh and btw gesalt, as i am in youth can i also compete for the open categories of alpha, nm, etc? have no chance of winning just nice to see who my competition is ;)

Gestalt
QLD, 14373 posts
24 Mar 2010 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

the distance event is a 10km event with a lemans start off the main beach at burrum and out past the southern tip of woodgate and back.

yes youth ,womens classes are also in the running to take out the open class.

Gestalt
QLD, 14373 posts
24 Mar 2010 11:37PM
Thumbs Up

just a heads up that we have 55 people registered for the event and there are another 5-10 people who i believe to be coming that are not pre registered as yet.

all up that's a fantastic outcome!!!

a couple of more updates.

i have now cleaned out the inbox and hope that everyone has had a response from me. if you haven't please shoot me through an email or catch up with me at burrum. registration will occur on saturday morning behind the burrum sands. i would like to kick off the registration from 9am onwards to allow enough time to finalise all of the paper work. briefing will be at 11.30am

also, the barge from last year has become unavailable due to damage caused while transporting it after it's yearly overhaul. Sarah from Rays auto and marine unfortunately had to let me know that it will be off the water for another 2 months.
to substitute the barge this year the SES have offered the use of one of their offshore boats. it is big and will be used to transport gear etc as per last year as well as rescue support.

and the final update is regards the opening night bbq. the band that was booked is no longer a working band. But the party will go on!
The Harold Farmer Park Grounds in Burrum heads is the venue. due to the cancelation of the band the cost will be recalculated and will now be $20 per person with children free.

Gestalt
QLD, 14373 posts
25 Mar 2010 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

word on the ground is 20-25 knots expected today. currently blowing 18 knots.

we will have a beginners board available with kids rig at the event for those that would like to take advantage of the setup.

CheekyMonkey
QLD, 53 posts
25 Mar 2010 11:57AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Justin,
I can only make it up on Saturday night for the festivities and Sunday. Can I register on the day or is it best to pre-register via email? Should I pay the fees on the day or before?

Thanks and good luck for wind today.

S.

mike nelson
NSW, 105 posts
25 Mar 2010 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

Chris - Gestalt reckons there will be a beginners board - so you should be able to get a sail in after all!!!

Chris Ting
NSW, 302 posts
25 Mar 2010 4:02PM
Thumbs Up

uncle mike said...

Chris - Gestalt reckons there will be a beginners board - so you should be able to get a sail in after all!!!

That's great this means you'll have the Kazoo all to your self....

The van all packed ,and Sean on his way. Thanks to Sam for lending us the Wind Surf N Snow van.

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
25 Mar 2010 3:39PM
Thumbs Up

Chris Ting said...

uncle mike said...

That's great this means you'll have the Kazoo all to your self....

The van all packed ,and Sean on his way. Thanks to Sam for lending us the Wind Surf N Snow van.

Chris,
Where will you fit the stripper in for your big night.

hooray
QLD, 335 posts
25 Mar 2010 3:59PM
Thumbs Up

Chris,
Thats only enough gear for one, how do the other three intend to get their gear here?

Chris Ting
NSW, 302 posts
25 Mar 2010 6:21PM
Thumbs Up

hooray said...

Chris,
Thats only enough gear for one, how do the other three intend to get their gear here?

Theres about 15 boards, 16+ sails, plus matching booms, masts, extensions etc and at least 40 fins

Sean still needs to load his gear when he gets to Brisbane sometime early tomorrow morning.....

Gestalt
QLD, 14373 posts
25 Mar 2010 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

a wise man once said when travelling to windsurfing events don't leave anything at home.

AusMoz
QLD, 1438 posts
25 Mar 2010 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

Are the doors able to close at all????

Gestalt
QLD, 14373 posts
25 Mar 2010 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

CheekyMonkey said...

Hi Justin,
I can only make it up on Saturday night for the festivities and Sunday. Can I register on the day or is it best to pre-register via email? Should I pay the fees on the day or before?

Thanks and good luck for wind today.

S.

Sorry i missed this one earlier, there was a flurry or posts.

yep you can register on the day no problems.

fingers crossed with the wind.

mikey100
QLD, 1048 posts
29 Mar 2010 10:28AM
Thumbs Up

SO... what happened, who won the different divisions? Couldn't make it up this year, but keen to know. The observations I saw for Hervey Bay Airport didn' look great.

mikey100
QLD, 1048 posts
29 Mar 2010 10:06PM
Thumbs Up

7 pages of comments leading up to the Windfest, then.....NOTHING. What happened? All you speedsailors kidnapped? I know there are lots of laptops and wireless internet taken up there or Hooray's house is hardwired for internet...

NotWal
QLD, 7428 posts
29 Mar 2010 11:16PM
Thumbs Up

Notwal hit 45 knots but his Navi failed to make a file :)

NotWal
QLD, 7428 posts
29 Mar 2010 11:57PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^ just kidding.

We all had a lovely time but not by going fast. The Wind blew from the east so the speed bank didn't work, and it was light to moderate. I doubt that it got up to 15. There was plenty of sailing, lots of dredging and occasional (very few) bouts of powered up blasting.

The boards were scattered far and wide. Stationary sails stood like quills stuck upright on the horizon while here and there others caught a lucky gust and planed off. At other times everyone was going but full powered sailing was rare. All the big gear was out. From a wind and speed point of view the previous Burrum events were much better.

Just the same its a fabulous venue and the event has a nice vibe. I'll certainly try to catch the next one.

hmmmmm... next Sunday and Monday at Burrum? Do we dare to believe the arrows?

wormy
QLD, 679 posts
30 Mar 2010 7:04AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Pacman, Hows the golf

ULF
QLD, 261 posts
30 Mar 2010 4:25PM
Thumbs Up

Great spot, the wind just wasn't strong enough. Anyone with 8 or bigger was okay.

icesurf
QLD, 113 posts
31 Mar 2010 10:06AM
Thumbs Up

Wish I read this before I left.

Gestalt said...

a wise man once said when travelling to windsurfing events don't leave anything at home.

Oh well, great place to holiday & enjoyed the return 6km walk along the sand bar.

AusMoz
QLD, 1438 posts
31 Mar 2010 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Michael

I bet it was 25 knotts plus when you got back home?

GCMOZ

icesurf said...

Wish I read this before I left.
Gestalt said...

Oh well, great place to holiday & enjoyed the return 6km walk along the sand bar.

Bluedog76
242 posts
31 Mar 2010 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

Just got back yesturday after having a fantastic time. I would say I was planning 95%+ of the time on flat to dead flat water compared to where I usualy sail (this is where being 75kg helps)

For me it was the first time using a GPS, entering an event and being on the gear I was using (8.4m RSS / 121l isonic) so there was plenty of novalty factor and it was just great to sail around so many others. I've come away pretty keen to get out heaps more often with the GPS and try and set some faster times.

A fantastic holiday and event. Thanks to Gestalt for organising and all others involved. Can't wait to next year.

pacman76
QLD, 123 posts
31 Mar 2010 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

wormy said...

Capricorn Resort Golf course at Yepoon was a bit dodgy... But then again where else could i have got 27 holes in a golf cart for $38 .... sweet... and i am still counting how many shots i had.

Haggar
QLD, 1664 posts
1 Apr 2010 12:08AM
Thumbs Up

choco
SA, 4027 posts
1 Apr 2010 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

pacman76 said...

wormy said...

Capricorn Resort Golf course at Yepoon was a bit dodgy... But then again where else could i have got 27 holes in a golf cart for $38 .... sweet... and i am still counting how many shots i had.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Burrum Windfest" started by Gestalt