Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

Downloading tracks from Foretrex 201 to PC

Created by yagon > 9 months ago, 1 Mar 2008
yagon
NSW, 64 posts
1 Mar 2008 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

I've recently bought a Garmin Foretrex 201. I am having problems downloading tracks to my PC, where I'd like to use GPSAR to review sailing sessions.

Despite following the isntruction, I haven't been able to use either GPSAR or G7to Win to download the tracks.

When using G7to Win I receive a message saying "Serial Port Timeout".

I reasonably fluent with computers, but this one's got me stumped. Any advice?

elmo
WA, 8727 posts
1 Mar 2008 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

Start out by seeing if you can get your GPS ID in G&toWin by:

GPS>Get GPS ID

It should come up with the details of your GPS

If it doesn't come up you may have the wrong port sellected

Let us now how you go

JayBee
NSW, 714 posts
2 Mar 2008 12:50AM
Thumbs Up

It sounds a bit condescending, but try the following....

Make absolutely certain that the mini-din connection is firmly plugged into the GPS unit. It kind of clicks into place. I was getting the same error for ages until I checked the connection.

JB

elmo
WA, 8727 posts
1 Mar 2008 11:16PM
Thumbs Up

JayBee said...

It sounds a bit condescending, but try the following....

Make absolutely certain that the mini-din connection is firmly plugged into the GPS unit. It kind of clicks into place. I was getting the same error for ages until I checked the connection.

JB

Thats a bloody good point, those conections can be a right royal pain in the freckle

yagon
NSW, 64 posts
2 Mar 2008 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the help guys.

I tried the "Get GPS ID" - the computer thought about it for a couple of minutes, then I recevied a pop up window with teh error message "GPS communication protocol error: Msg length".

When I click OK, another pop-up box appears with the message "Serial Port Timeout".

I've noticed int he bottom left of the main window in G7toWin it says "Ready -- GPS is Garmin".

CAn anyone help out?

yagon
NSW, 64 posts
3 Mar 2008 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

Bump - can anyone please help with this? I'm v keen to download some tracks.

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
3 Mar 2008 10:03PM
Thumbs Up

elmo said...

Start out by seeing if you can get your GPS ID in G&toWin by:

GPS>Get GPS ID

It should come up with the details of your GPS

If it doesn't come up you may have the wrong port sellected

Let us now how you go

I don't have a Garmin, but try another port as Elmo said

elmo
WA, 8727 posts
3 Mar 2008 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

The "GPS Is Garmin... Ready" down the bottom left hand corner of the page is just what the programme is set up to read.

The next step is to do what I suggested to check to see if you have the programme set up to look at the correct port.

you should get up the top some thing like

GPS ID Forerex 201.

If it say's can not find then you have the wrong port and have to change the port

Another problem which can give time outs or dicky readings is dirty or corroded terminals

Try moving around the terminals a bit to see if that helps

decrepit
WA, 12139 posts
3 Mar 2008 10:37PM
Thumbs Up

If G7to win says "ready, gps is a garmin" I think that means there's communication, and it must be the correct port.
Not much idea about serial port timeout, sounds like the garmin isn't responding as quickly as windows is expecting. Unfortunately I've no experience with garmins, do you have to put it into a "communication mode"?
Does the garmin give any indication it's connected to your computer?

{EDIT}
obviously sailquick and elmo know what they are talking about, go with them!

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
4 Mar 2008 1:23AM
Thumbs Up

yagon said...

I've recently bought a Garmin Foretrex 201. I am having problems downloading tracks to my PC, where I'd like to use GPSAR to review sailing sessions.

Well that right there is your first problem. You should have got the GT-11. No download issues at all!

Sorry...not much help now is it.

I agree with Elmo. The message about the Garmin may just be what G7toWin is looking for. It is most likely you are looking on the wrong COM port. See the window in G7towin 'File' > 'Configuration' that lets you select the COM port to try a few other ports.

Alternatively, look in your device manager (found in the control panel under 'system') and see if your device is showed up as using a COM port. If so, use that COM port number in G7toWin.

Hope this is more helpful.

By the way. I am using the Windows GUI version of GPSBabel now when I download Garmins. Maybe it is worth trying another interface?

get gpsbablelgui from here: bzr.labix.org/gpsbabel/trunk/win32/
I think you need the GPS babel file in the same directory to make it work from here: sourceforge.net/projects/gpsbabel/files/

Looks like this:

yagon
NSW, 64 posts
6 Mar 2008 11:09PM
Thumbs Up

OK - thanks for the feedback. I've tried a few variations but I'm still having problems. Some thoughts:

When I plug the GPS unit into the cable, the GPS automatically turns on. That is, the GPS knows it is being connected to a computer.

I haven't got any further with G7toWin.

I've downloaded GPS babel. i like the format of this program, however, I am still ahving problems. When I try to download the data, I receive the following message:

"GPS_Packet_Read: No DLE. Data received, but probably not a garmin packet.
GARMIN:Can't init com1:"

Can anyone help with this?

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
6 Mar 2008 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

I'm guessing here, but I would think that maybe you need to set the garmin to a mode where it communicates with a PC. At the moment it might just be sending the normal NMEA data stream.

To check this, open HyperTerminal and connect to COM1 (or whatever port you're using). If you see a whole heap of data that looks like GPS co-ordinates then my guess is correct.

Of course this might all be a load of hogwash, I've never used a garmin...

Yann
18 posts
6 Mar 2008 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

Nebbian may be right. I happened to help people with problems related to this in the past.
If so, do as follows :
- In you garmin, find somewhere in the menus the "Interface" item
- It should show two options : "NMEA" or "Garmin"
- If Nebbian is right, your GPS is set on the "NMEA" value, which is not correct for downloading (it's to send live data). Change it to "Garmin", which is the protocol used to send tracks and waypoints.
Yann.

yagon
NSW, 64 posts
9 Mar 2008 11:12PM
Thumbs Up

This thing is driving me mad.

I've installed the GPSbabel software on another computer - my work laptop. It is still not working.

The error message I recieve is:

"[ERROR] GPS_Packet_Read: Timeout. No data received.
GARMIN:Can't init com1:"

Can anyone help?
Does Garmin offer a help service?

decrepit
WA, 12139 posts
9 Mar 2008 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

you're not giving very much info back, you'll need to do that if you want serious help.

This question has been asked before, are you sure you have the right com port????
Is com1 the only port you have???

sailpilot
QLD, 783 posts
10 Mar 2008 12:11AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Yagon,
I too was having problems with uploading tracks to some of the "recomended" software. I'm using a foretrex 101 which is pretty much the same setup as yours.
First problem nailed as already mentioned, it's tight a a crabs cracker to get the plug in, I even shaved off a little of the plastic bit that rubs on the unit to get it in firmly.
If you think your getting connected OK then goto download.com and get the program Easy GPS, set this one up and it will extract the file from the GPS as a .gpx file. The program is crap for analysing anything but just save the file and then drop it into a better program. I'm using the Realspeed one and its OK for what I want. There's probably an easier way but like you....anyway that works will do for now.
Hope this helps.

Herbylyn
QLD, 214 posts
10 Mar 2008 11:55AM
Thumbs Up

My pc does not have a serial port so I had to get a Aten cable and install it...When I download to G7 2 win I have to use a particular port.
i clicked on Configeration and started at port 1 and kept trying untill I got to Port 6
On Lyns laptop I have to use port 3 I find that when it works on a particulat usb port I should use that port each time.

JayBee
NSW, 714 posts
10 Mar 2008 2:27PM
Thumbs Up

If things are still not working then you will have to get back to basics.

You have not stated whether you are using serial of USB cables.
Have you tried making a connection to another PC?
Have you tried connection with Hyperterminal as recommended earlier?

Given the computer could not make a connection using "GPS>Get GPS ID" the I have to state the obvious!

1 - Your GPS is broken - try another
2 - Your cable is broken - try another
3 - Your PC is broken - try another
4 - You have not selected the correct com port - try another.

Note that 1-3 can be easer tested by trying another PC. Where are you located Yagon? It might be easier to catch up with soemone else with a pc (and cable) that we know works. I am in Syd (Brighton Le Sands area) and am volounteering if you are close by (or even sail close by).

JB

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
4 Apr 2008 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

I've got a potential new team member (local FNQ) who has just done a 39 @ sandy

But he couldn't get his tracks off his Garmin, so gave me a go.
I couldn't get g7towin to reconize his Garmin via USB or a com port, tried heaps
So i went into Device manager, and found 4 ports in use, but when I connect & unconnect his Garmin there are no more or less ports in use.
I think then the prob must be his Garmin, cable or connection, right

Cheers,
Bob.

mineral1
WA, 4564 posts
4 Apr 2008 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Fire PM off to pugwash, he has garmin and is up to speed on how to sort em.

Wait a minute, that means your going to jump us on the table, pugwash? pugwash who

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
4 Apr 2008 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

mineral1 said...

Fire PM off to pugwash, he has garmin and is up to speed on how to sort em.

Wait a minute, that means your going to jump us on the table, pugwash? pugwash who

He's going back to the shop Min, as you can understand, I'm desperate for that file
I'm doing your trick [}:)]

sailpilot
QLD, 783 posts
5 Apr 2008 11:42AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Firie,
Having just joined the CQ rippleriders team, I shouldn't divulge anymore of the "secret garmin info". Kind of like the 'secret womens business' saga as we sail like old women!!

The connection via foretrex is naturally a serial connection, the data cable is made for a serial port so that is the best way to go. If your using a serial-USB adapter then I'm not not sure what to do, maybe find an older computer with a serial port.

Cheers

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
5 Apr 2008 5:21PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for your interest sailpilot, yeh he had the serial to USB adaptor, but I tried it just using the serial cable and it didn't come up in device manager on my computer. It did flick up for a few sec's on port 5, so I'm guessing cable or conection. We'll see what the shop comes up with

sailpilot
QLD, 783 posts
6 Apr 2008 12:54AM
Thumbs Up

Whats the program your trying to extract the data into? I'll give it a go with one of my tracks if you post a link to the file
I tried a couple of programs with no luck but found EasyGPS sucked it all out no problem. THere a simple setup routine and a 'recieve' button, just click it and wait for it all to come through, it does take about 5 minutes for a two hour session to upload tho.

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
5 Apr 2008 11:07PM
Thumbs Up

Hi sailpilot, I'm pos it's the cable or connection because I went into my computers Device manager, and found 4 ports in use, but when I connect & unconnect his Garmin there are no more or less ports in use. So my computer isn't seeing it, that's before I open any software.

Cheers

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
6 Apr 2008 12:28AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Firie,

A serial connection won't pop up in the device manager. USB yes, serial no.

Use Hyperterminal to figure out what's going on.

sailpilot
QLD, 783 posts
6 Apr 2008 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

I think nebbian is correct as it didn't register in my list of comm ports either. Inside the software you can specify which port to look at, just use a process of elimination. Also the garmin needs to be firmly plugged in and switched on. The garmins don't come with any software to run the transfer so you need to be extracting from the software program your trying to use.
Keep going mate it'll all be worth it in the end.
Gotta go sailing now, great forecast. Pity work has kept me from getting down to Burrum, that looks like a great set-up.

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
6 Apr 2008 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Nebs & sailpilot, worked yesterday & today, I'll get onto my mate and relay that info
Told him to get a Navi when available again, but I do want that 39+ session

No work tomorrow, sunny skies and wind, our season is kicking in, yippy

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Downloading tracks from Foretrex 201 to PC" started by yagon