Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

GREEN ISLAND Speed Week JUNE 21-28 2009

Created by hardie > 9 months ago, 8 Aug 2008
hardie
WA, 4083 posts
8 Aug 2008 8:30AM
Thumbs Up

This is it guys check it looks unbelievable check it: http://gpsteamchallenge.com.au/temp/green_island_2009.php

Somehow I've gotta get there!!!!!!!!!!!!

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
8 Aug 2008 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

Warm and windy. Thats 2 out of 3. Is there a flat water course? Photos?

hardie
WA, 4083 posts
8 Aug 2008 9:13AM
Thumbs Up

sailquik said...

Did you check the link, some photo's in that, don't think there is a Pit style speedstrip though

yoyo
WA, 1646 posts
8 Aug 2008 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

sailquik said...

And it's downhill as well :-))

and as a handicap Slowie will have to sail from Cairns..

Al McLeod
VIC, 633 posts
8 Aug 2008 4:49PM
Thumbs Up

hardie said...

sailquik said...

Did you check the link, some photo's in that, don't think there is a Pit style speedstrip though

when the tides are really low then there is super flat water. around the island there is a reef so this is exposed creating flat water along a sandy strip that is a great direction for speed. the dates are chosen to coincide with the super low tides so flat water is guaranteed.

some photos:

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
8 Aug 2008 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds very exciting although can someone give me a heads up on costs for daily returns on the boats as accommodation in Cairns rather than on GI will probably be easier with the possibility of 3 kids and a wife tagging along.

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
8 Aug 2008 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

sausage said...

Sounds very exciting although can someone give me a heads up on costs for daily returns on the boats as accommodation in Cairns rather than on GI will probably be easier with the possibility of 3 kids and a wife tagging along.

At $400+ a night doubt to many would stay at Green Island resort.
So what are the plans for trasfers from the mainland to GI may get exy traveling back and forth every day.

ta Vando

kato
VIC, 3403 posts
8 Aug 2008 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

I don,t think the email address is correct for Cam,I just got a return to sender.The best price I got for accomation was $538 PN. Anyone got some cheep idea,s for a Fam of 4. Love to come up but don,t want to sell all the gear to get there

Cam Mcleod
QLD, 68 posts
8 Aug 2008 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the interest in Green Island speed week guys.
I'm out of town for the WE so if your emails bounce back send them again on MONDAY
We sailed today in 28-32 knots ( we got some reasonable peaks -see gps team challenge)
There are 2 speed strips-the Northern one only works when the tide is < .7m -during speed week there will be six of these super low tides.
Basically the water glasses out & becomes super smooth .
Major issues are the bommies which are readily identifiable .
THe Eastern Strip is over shallow reef -works really well when tide 1.5-1.8 metres
Its rarely smooth but the chop is small (looks a lot smoother than ferteventura)
The run is as long as you want to make it-we normally make it around 500m -you can achieve very good averages over that length-Peak Speed comes just as you hit the Eastern side of the Island.
Either way its a Great time of year to Escape the southern doldrems ...
Keep in touch
We'll post some more photos,Cam

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
8 Aug 2008 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

Cam Mcleod said...

Thanks for the interest in Green Island speed week guys.
I'm out of town for the WE so if your emails bounce back send them again on MONDAY
We sailed today in 28-32 knots ( we got some reasonable peaks -see gps team challenge)
There are 2 speed strips-the Northern one only works when the tide is < .7m -during speed week there will be six of these super low tides.
Basically the water glasses out & becomes super smooth .
Major issues are the bommies which are readily identifiable .
THe Eastern Strip is over shallow reef -works really well when tide 1.5-1.8 metres
Its rarely smooth but the chop is small (looks a lot smoother than ferteventura)
The run is as long as you want to make it-we normally make it around 500m -you can achieve very good averages over that length-Peak Speed comes just as you hit the Eastern side of the Island.
Either way its a Great time of year to Escape the southern doldrems ...
Keep in touch
We'll post some more photos,Cam

Just got off the phone with dr cam its blowing a gale up there at the moment.
Nice speeds today mate (37.5) just awsome wish I was there.

ta Vando

Troppo
WA, 887 posts
8 Aug 2008 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

FFFFAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRKKKKKKKKK!!!!!

the week I go back to perth and its bloody blowing everyday!!!!!

Nice speed Cam was that on the little one??

did u have ur 9m up??

Cmon bob get off the rum and post the speeds!! Ya killing me here!

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
8 Aug 2008 11:41PM
Thumbs Up

Benny it was nearly as good as big Wednesday and more to come
Cam had a 36.8 on the 50L Isonic when we left him, he had given up buggered but as Capt I ordered him out again, so he must have got the 37.5 then, he was changing boards.

Rowdy Rosey
QLD, 16 posts
9 Aug 2008 2:03PM
Thumbs Up

Captains orders

Even though Docs legs had claret pouring out and he was just getting over some heavy cramps he changed boards and went out again.

Firiebob is tough on the team

Have not been back to green since 98 and it was great to get back. If you guys come up and it blows hard, you will have a ball. I forgot how amazing it is over there. Shame my fitness let me down and i couldn't sail all of the day.

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
9 Aug 2008 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

I've got the same question as Kato. Where is the nearest camping or cheap accommodation and how do you get access to the island every day? Would it help if I brought a tinny or is it too far and too rough when it's windy?

DAM71
QLD, 498 posts
9 Aug 2008 5:45PM
Thumbs Up

You'll have to stay in Cairns and commute. Green island would cost an arm and a leg. Catch one of the boats over daily - around the $50 mark for a return trip. But as they look to have quicksilver on board it, maybe they can get the price down. If you want to camp then the best would be at coconut village caravan park on the south side of town. About a 15 min drive into the wharf along the southern access. This place has camping, caravans and even little semi permanent tent things (strange but true) try this link for info on Cairns www.cairnsconnect.com/accommodation/camping

If you do not want to drive then there are a number of hotels within walking distance of the wharf - hilton, etc. There are also a huge number of backpackers hostels maybe $20-30 night pp - which if your doing a group thing would be best - again all around the esplanade and waterfront. (gear storage may be an issue) If i remember the yacht club is around the same area - so it might be worth a call to them to see if you can store gear there. Or maybe the resort on green would offer this service?

Travel to the island at this time of year is best done on the charter boats. Whilst it is flat inside the reef, it definitely is not on the trip over. We have a 6m tinnie and too rough in that wind.

I'm looking forward to what arrangements have been made - great excuse to go home and visit the folks.

Haggar
QLD, 1664 posts
9 Aug 2008 6:13PM
Thumbs Up

To ask a stupid question to get your kit to Cairns, do you just rock up to Qantas or Jetstar and book your gear in ? About how much might it cost ? Will most people take a few boards ??? Its a longgggggg drive from Brissy By the way I've been to Green Ilsand on the boat, and the trip can get rough, there was a lot of paper bags being used

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
9 Aug 2008 6:44PM
Thumbs Up

Haggar said...

To ask a stupid question to get your kit to Cairns, do you just rock up to Qantas or Jetstar and book your gear in ? About how much might it cost ? Will most people take a few boards ??? Its a longgggggg drive from Brissy By the way I've been to Green Ilsand on the boat, and the trip can get rough, there was a lot of paper bags being used
Rougher the better its going to be.

Virgin blue i think is the best to fly with you should be able to take 1 board 2 sails with no cost. so ya coming haggar

Al McLeod
VIC, 633 posts
9 Aug 2008 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

yep virgin is the way to go. i've never really had problems taking a massive quiver bag and a board. we always leave gear on the island. you wont have to worry about storage in cairns and taking it back and forth.

Ian K
WA, 4049 posts
9 Aug 2008 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

No it looks real. Go to

www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/

the chart archive and fill in the loop control for this winter so far. Watch the highs roll by. The highs just seem to stick in the right position for SE wind during winter. Note that the Coriolis effect is reduced closer to the equator, so you need a strong wind to balance the relatively ( for us southerners) widely spaced isobars.

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
9 Aug 2008 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

Al McLeod said...

yep virgin is the way to go. i've never really had problems taking a massive quiver bag and a board. we always leave gear on the island. you wont have to worry about storage in cairns and taking it back and forth.

Leaving gear on the island sounds like the way to go cool.

? why june isnt it best july august up there.

Al McLeod
VIC, 633 posts
9 Aug 2008 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

the last week of june is usually the windiest of the year. i think dad had about 4 days of solid 30-35. when i was up in july school holidays for we had about a week of 15-25 knot days then 4 days of 30+
it seems to go in a cycle of 2-3 windy weeks to one relatively calm one.

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
9 Aug 2008 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

Al McLeod said...

the last week of june is usually the windiest of the year. i think dad had about 4 days of solid 30-35. when i was up in july school holidays for we had about a week of 15-25 knot days then 4 days of 30+
it seems to go in a cycle of 2-3 windy weeks to one relatively calm one.
One calm day thats fine with me

Haggar
QLD, 1664 posts
9 Aug 2008 8:49PM
Thumbs Up

........... so ya coming haggar

Luv to if I can

Cam Mcleod
QLD, 68 posts
9 Aug 2008 10:58PM
Thumbs Up

Stayed overnight at the resort guys-the way to go
We'll be aiming top get locals rates for all participants so $299 per night 2 people with free (fantastic)breaky & transfers thrown in .
Daily Transfer Rate for locals is $48.30 from Cairns to Green IS so again will be working to have this fee either waived for participants or minimised.
Wind not so strong today but still a brilliant day .
Waves on the Western Side of Island were really peaking as the boat was leaving .
Such an amazing array of conditions!!
Andrew Daff-would leave the Tinny at home -with the Southerlies blowing its a nightmare trip out .
We have a big house which your welcome to stay in ....
Forgot to mention -Green Island is a great place to teach your kids-we have some learners rigs on the Island so make the most of it
Thanks for the enthusiasm-am trying to get a good quality aerial photo so I can point out the Sailing areas,speed zones ,no go zones etc

kato
VIC, 3403 posts
9 Aug 2008 11:38PM
Thumbs Up

Starting to get very exy $300 per night or $50 per person each day.Carn,t see the family buying into this one. Sorry

yoyo
WA, 1646 posts
9 Aug 2008 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Cam Mcleod said...

so $299 per night 2 people with free (fantastic)breaky & transfers thrown in .

Kato that sounds like $149.50 per person with breakfast and transport to and from the island... unless Dr Cam left out something (like pp twin share). So it would be less than 1/2 what you think.

OK it is a lot more than petrol to SP and sharing a house for a week but many people pay more to go to the Cocos or Maui.

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
10 Aug 2008 11:12AM
Thumbs Up

kato said...

Starting to get very exy $300 per night or $50 per person each day.Carn,t see the family buying into this one. Sorry
Hopefully they will get the boat transfers for nothing or discounted rate.
So staying on the mainland would be the cheaper option for most people.
Mind you I would love to stay on the island, I remember my Parents taking me there when I was a kid it was paradise

Cam Mcleod
QLD, 68 posts
10 Aug 2008 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

No excuses Kato !!
Again -we'll be working hard on the quicksilver people re rates
We have a 5 br home at Clifton Beach so Plenty of room for those short on Cash if you need somewhere to sleep ...
An extra job ?? over the next 6/12 to pay for it ...
Prizes will be great
Mcleod St Medical (my medical practice)keen to make a sponsorship contribution
($3000-)towards prizes & thats just the beginning...
Happy sailing
Cam

ka43
NSW, 3075 posts
10 Aug 2008 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

Gidday Cam and Firie,
this sounds like a brilliant thing to do.
What sort of gear are you likely to need or use at that time of the year??
Obviously it looks bloody windy but do you need normal slalom gear as a back-up?
I have the time (long service) so will be interested to see how the prices check out.
Great work, very keen to participate. just cant handle Sydney in winter anymore.
Cheers

Cam Mcleod
QLD, 68 posts
10 Aug 2008 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

Hi ka 43-event is to coincide with really strong winds & big tides
On the high tide waves break on shallow reef so a wave board with a 4-5.5 m2 sail is a lot of fun.
Middle of the tide the Eastern speed run works well -see latest team gps sessions fnq mob for photos to give you an idea -so 50-90l board with 5-7m2 race sails

Low tide Northern Speed run goes off -same as eastern speed run for gear .

Bring spare fins !!

Regards,Cam

mikey100
QLD, 1052 posts
10 Aug 2008 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds great, tho being the week before the Qld school holidays may make it difficult for those with school-aged kids.....or those who work in schools. Pity it wasnt the following week.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"GREEN ISLAND Speed Week JUNE 21-28 2009" started by hardie