Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

KA 2012 Koncept

Created by Spotty > 9 months ago, 28 Sep 2011
Spotty
VIC, 1619 posts
28 Sep 2011 12:16PM
Thumbs Up

Sailed the 2012 6.6 Koncept on the weekend, its just got better again!
Wind was not much more than 16-18 knots E' at the Pit on Sunday arvo, would normally run the 7.5 or 8.5 to be really powered. I had peaks around 30-31, 10 sec's were b/n 28-30, very efficient power on tap.

Read about Koncept and the entire 2012 Ka range @ www.kasailwindsurfing.com/en/

izaak
TAS, 1973 posts
28 Sep 2011 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

So KA fins have finished?...They will be rare now.

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
29 Sep 2011 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

Shame about the dalay in production arrive early November now.

Hopefully sooner

Cheers Russ

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
29 Sep 2011 1:09PM
Thumbs Up

izaak said...

Damn, those fins rock(ed)

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
29 Sep 2011 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

izaak said...

We are still hoping the factory can do another run. I would not write them off just yet..

Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
29 Sep 2011 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

izaak said...

Hey Izaak,

I have a very large mortgage, and a small KA Symmetrical 23 Speed fin that I'm willing to part with for a few thousand sheckels to help pay for the mortgage.

No seriously, if enough orders are received, KA should be able to run some more fins, I would have thought...

izaak
TAS, 1973 posts
29 Sep 2011 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Bonominator said...

izaak said...

Hey Izaak,

I have a very large mortgage, and a small KA Symmetrical 23 Speed fin that I'm willing to part with for a few thousand sheckels to help pay for the mortgage.

No seriously, if enough orders are received, KA should be able to run some more fins, I would have thought...

I still have my KA SYM 23cm but using my C3's both brilliant fins.

mr love
VIC, 2356 posts
30 Sep 2011 8:11AM
Thumbs Up

Still some Assy speed fins available.

K-100
102 posts
30 Sep 2011 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

mr love said...

Still some Assy speed fins available.

What sizes are available Martin?

mr love
VIC, 2356 posts
1 Oct 2011 12:18PM
Thumbs Up

I,ll get a full list of AMAC but I know there are all sizes of Assy left but very, very limited numbers.

pepe47
WA, 1381 posts
1 Oct 2011 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

No symmetrical left?

K-100
102 posts
2 Oct 2011 1:26AM
Thumbs Up

mr love said...

I,ll get a full list of AMAC but I know there are all sizes of Assy left but very, very limited numbers.

Excellent, have the 20cm Assy and 23cm Assy and wish i bought the 23cm Symmetrical at the same time but think there's a few people after the Assy's here in the UK and Ireland

Walt
264 posts
2 Oct 2011 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

Any photos of the sail in real image

K-100
102 posts
30 Oct 2011 12:01AM
Thumbs Up

mr love said...

Do you know anyone that has a 23cm KA Symmetrical for sale mate?

30 Oct 2011 7:40AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Walt

Not sure if Spotty got any photos from the day he used the new 6.6 2012 Koncept?

Here is a picture from Turkey, where we did some testing earlier on the year.
It is a 7.5 Koncept on the pic. If you compare with the KArace 7.1 in the pic, you can see the 2012 Koncepts are a lot more low aspect compared to the previous year,,

We lent the sail to one of the competitors (PWA Slalom- Alacati) that was unlucky to break a sail, and she was so pleased with the easy performance that we had a "hard" time getting the sail back from her,,, :)

We will soon get some more product shoots.

www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=250294018316858&set=a.250293448316915.74635.127507403928854&type=3&theater

Cheers

Jesper

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
31 Oct 2011 12:17PM
Thumbs Up

I broke a new 2012 6.6m Koncept out of the plastic yesterday and used it in a fun slalom race minutes later to win the first heat! Sail handled perfectly with great power and stability. The lower center of power was immediately evident and felt great. :-)

Windxtasy
WA, 4014 posts
31 Oct 2011 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

sailquik said...

I broke a new 2012 6.6m Koncept ...

Had me worried there!

Walt
264 posts
1 Nov 2011 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Jesper,

Thanks for posting the photo,

I see what your saying about it being more low aspect and the head is alot wider.
I am waiting for the koyote photos to be ready.

thanks
kind Regards
Walt

mr love
VIC, 2356 posts
1 Nov 2011 11:52PM
Thumbs Up

Andrew, How come your brand spanking new 6.6 went faster than my brand new 6.6??? oh now I remember, I am fat and my jibes suck!!!

Sails work great, 6.6 felt really powerful with great accleration. Had a small sail on the 8.5 Koncept in crap conditions, pulled like a trooper and got me planing really easily.

The sail that is really impressing me though so far is the Race. The 7.9 was just magic, powerful and super stable and appears to be very fast. Noticably heavier than the Koncept though and stiffer through transitions so the Koncept will still be the better choice unless you want a full blown race sail.
Rigged the 5.5 Race but not the conditions to use it. Looks unreal. This will be my secret weapon to beat Spotty!!!!

sick_em_rex
NSW, 1600 posts
2 Nov 2011 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Martin,
I'm interested to hear your opinion (and Jesper's and Spotty's for that matter) as to why then you would take the Race over the Koncept....You yourself say that the Koncept is the pick unless you want a full on race sail...so just what advantage will the Race give you if you choose it?

mr love
VIC, 2356 posts
2 Nov 2011 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

Jesper is the best to talk to for sure but this is my take.
With the Race you will be able to sail with a bigger size in the same wind strength due to the super stability. So for Slalom racing you have more horsepower at the start and at crowded jibe marks.
The trade off is a heavier sail and slightly stiffer handling.
So serious Slalom racers should consider the Race over the Koncept and of coarse its the sail for Formula racers.
Most people who GPS speed surf would be better off on Koncept I think, but there will be a bit of personal choice there, Lighter, slightly softer feeling sail vs heavier stiffer feel but superior top end stability.
Downwind speed sailing the Koncept is still the go but I am interested in what the little race can do, it just looks fast!!!!!.
But Jesper has spent more time than anybody on both so he is the most qualified to answer the question accurately.

2 Nov 2011 2:14PM
Thumbs Up

KArace is designed purely to win races.

Martin already pointed out some good points,,

Design brief for 2012 KArace was following:

More acceleration. We achieved this firstly from a more low aspect outline (longer boom). Power is lower and can more efficient transfer the power to the fin.

Instant low end power: We need power at all times and don't want to over sheet the sail on the back hand getting into lulls. This is partly eliminated from the longer boom length, but also the horizontal shaping through the bottom battens helps a great deal here, to stabilise the foil to sit very steady.

Stability: 8 battens and 4 cambers and a moderate skin tension holds the stability in place. Moderate -wide luff sleeve holds the leading edge rigid and smooth. But most important we have a dynamic twist when hitting gusts that allow the sail to breathe above the boom and keep the rider position exactly the same at all times. We eliminated any leach flutter and have a full engaging dynamic leach.

Expect to have a great deal of power after the jibes when you sheet in!! and a little heavier feeling in the transition - compared to Koncept,,

If you want to win races gusty places and don't mind a more powerful (in jibes) feeling, as well as a little more fine-tuning of the sail. Then go for the KArace...

With both 2012 Koncept and KArace we has done some big steps forward in performance. So you can't really go wrong with any of them...

I would still recommend the Koncept for Speed of the wind and for slalom / free ride sailors wanting the best, easiest, high performing, hassle free sails on the market,,,

You can also sail a slightly smaller Koncept compared to race and be more efficient with the gain of a lighter feeling rig,,,

Hope this helped a bit,,,

Cheers

Jesper

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
2 Nov 2011 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Jasper,

Can you explain how the dynamic twist works

Is this a new idea for 2012?

Cheers Russ

3 Nov 2011 9:21AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Russ

I should probably have explained it a bit better,,

The dynamic leach twist idea is not really that new, but to build / design it into the sail and make it work under different wind strengths is the magic.

When you get it right it create a huge wind range, acceleration, speed and stability.

What is does it to keep the draft in the sail stable and you don't end up with more backhand power in the gust / stronger wind, that can force you to sheet the sail out and loose control.

If you look closely at the KA sail powered up, you will notice the batten above the boom "breaking" away a little in gusts (sitting further out)- this releases the pressure on the back hand. All the battens above the boom will have a very uniformed "release" under load. (Dynamic leach)

Draft stays the same or even move forward a bit and this means endless acceleration...and you keep your body position the same for max control.

In other words you want as much power from the leach tension you can get away with in light wind and for getting going and then in gust you want it to bend / twist away in combination with the mast bending more.

This I would call the dynamic leach twist. It is engaging all the time but change "shape" for the different wind strengths in a very smooth transition..

It is all achieved by a combination of luff curve, tension, materials, horizontal shaping, battens, sail outline and lots of testing on the water...

Cheers

Jesper

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
3 Nov 2011 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

Fantastic to see this depth of design consideration placed into our KA sails.

So looking forward to giving the new race a run.

Cheers Russ

Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
5 Nov 2011 5:22PM
Thumbs Up

mr love said...

Andrew, How come your brand spanking new 6.6 went faster than my brand new 6.6??? oh now I remember, I am fat and my jibes suck!!!

Sails work great, 6.6 felt really powerful with great accleration. Had a small sail on the 8.5 Koncept in crap conditions, pulled like a trooper and got me planing really easily.

The sail that is really impressing me though so far is the Race. The 7.9 was just magic, powerful and super stable and appears to be very fast. Noticably heavier than the Koncept though and stiffer through transitions so the Koncept will still be the better choice unless you want a full blown race sail.
Rigged the 5.5 Race but not the conditions to use it. Looks unreal. This will be my secret weapon to beat Spotty!!!!

I have a secret weapon too. 5.5. Spanking new yellow and black KA Race! Plus new 4.4 Koncept so look out lightweights!

choco
SA, 4034 posts
5 Nov 2011 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

Bonominator said...

mr love said...

I have a secret weapon too. 5.5. Spanking new yellow and black KA Race! Plus new 4.4 Koncept so look out lightweights!

great to see some of the KA crew using the race sails this season, I'm sure they'll fly

kato
VIC, 3403 posts
5 Nov 2011 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

Bonominator said...

So do i except its a red 4.4....and we all know that red ALLways goes faster

sick_em_rex
NSW, 1600 posts
5 Nov 2011 10:43PM
Thumbs Up

Is that why Shelby always smokes you Craig.....

mr love
VIC, 2356 posts
6 Nov 2011 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

My new 8.5 2012 Koncept waiting patiently for that final ingredient, WIND!!!!!!!!

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
7 Nov 2011 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

Sweet

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"KA 2012 Koncept" started by Spotty