Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

Lake George - GPS Event 2013

Created by WsurfingSA > 9 months ago, 21 Nov 2012
WsurfingSA
SA, 391 posts
21 Nov 2012 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

Lake George - GPS Event 2013

The Beachport Hotel is proudly supporting a windsurfing GPS speed sailing event this coming summer on Lake George, Beachport SA.

Windsurfing SA are the event organisers.

Dates: 1st January - 31st March 2013.

Earlier this year Lake George provided outstanding conditions for speed sailing, and there is much anticipation about the speeds that can be achieved there this coming summer.

Final event details are now being confirmed, but it is likely that the categories will be 2 sec, 5x10sec and NM.

The Beachport Hotel has shown keen support and will be providing great prizes like an awesome 12v car fridge, a cool esky and icy cold slabs of beer to reward competitors.

Sessions at Lake George posted to the GPS Team Challenge will all count for this event, and the open time frame of the event will allow you to chase the optimum conditions to achieve the best speeds.

Of course, when you are at Lake George, be sure to pop into the pub to say hi, show your support, and enjoy a great meal and some drinks...

A few things to remember:
- Speed sailing can be dangerous, you enter this event at your own risk.
- Speed sailing is also fun, so don't forget to enjoy it.
- In participating, you agree that safety of yourself and others on the lake is of paramount importance, and that you will always render assistance to anyone needing help.

Keep an eye on this post - more info to come...

Aus06
SA, 235 posts
21 Nov 2012 2:49PM
Thumbs Up

Great stuff!

Looking forward to it.

AUS1111
WA, 3619 posts
21 Nov 2012 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

See you there!

DanP
VIC, 286 posts
21 Nov 2012 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

Reckon it could be busy this season at the lake.

Hope the pub stocks up on beer & rum, reckon they're gonna get a serious workout this summer!!

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
21 Nov 2012 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

Hmmm, ok I don't know how but keen, will try and line the dots, who knows

Bogan speed team
SA, 407 posts
21 Nov 2012 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds good to me:-).

izaak
TAS, 1973 posts
21 Nov 2012 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

Will be back sometime between jan-march

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
22 Nov 2012 12:04AM
Thumbs Up

firiebob said...
Hmmm, ok I don't know how but keen, will try and line the dots, who knows

Firie,
I'm keen if you're keen but you'd have to put up with my inane stories and banter. I'd be happy to drive down possibly before or after Burrum.

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
22 Nov 2012 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

Sweet I might have a go too.

Last summer we had 20 sailors do over 40 knots.

Will have a talk to Chris at the pub this weekend as I know he was keen to have an update board in the pub a bit like I done last year.

also a big THANKS to Chris Dimond (Aus06) for getting this of the ground with windsurfing SA.

izaak
TAS, 1973 posts
22 Nov 2012 5:21PM
Thumbs Up

izaak said...

Someone obviously doesn't want me there...haha As choco mentioned, wish you could see who did it

Bender
WA, 2224 posts
22 Nov 2012 2:31PM
Thumbs Up

izaak said...
izaak said...

Someone obviously doesn't want me there...haha As choco mentioned, wish you could see who did it

fixed it for ya

izaak
TAS, 1973 posts
22 Nov 2012 5:39PM
Thumbs Up

Bender said...
izaak said...
izaak said...

fixed it for ya

Cheers mate, thats you off the list

choco
SA, 4033 posts
22 Nov 2012 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

Jimbob, could you get the publican to speak to the landowners/council to see if they can run a grader along the track into the spit? just tell them about the comp and how it's going to be covered Aust wide and 1,000 sailors will be rocking up over that period, put a bit of spin on it

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
22 Nov 2012 5:27PM
Thumbs Up

choco said...
Jimbob, could you get the publican to speak to the landowners/council to see if they can run a grader along the track into the spit? just tell them about the comp and how it's going to be covered Aust wide and 1,000 sailors will be rocking up over that period, put a bit of spin on it

there was a grader grading up to the gate last week but I think he was only doing tracks in the conservation park, after the gate and out to the spit is private land, I know a few people on the lake management comitee and council, will see what I can do.

I am going to be pushing to have myself included on the lake management comitee to reprent the windurf crew here as there is just fishermen duck hunters and just some old tossers are on it.

Actually I didn't think the track was too bad but then again I have a 4wd.

Aus06
SA, 235 posts
22 Nov 2012 5:34PM
Thumbs Up

Not sure where we will sail from this summer, but if anyone ends up out at the spit (camping), then the Beachport Pub can come and pick you up in their new minibus and bring you into the pub each evening - and drop you back out there at the end of the night when you are completely 'downhauled'!!

Chris (at the pub) is very keen for a chart up on the wall listing event speeds throughout summer, and he's pretty amped up about this event. Nice to have such generous support from the town.

kato
VIC, 3403 posts
22 Nov 2012 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

Already warned work that there will be another dash off to SA at short notice. Carn,t wait

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
22 Nov 2012 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

izaak said...
izaak said...

Not me junior that's for sure

wantmorewind
VIC, 115 posts
22 Nov 2012 10:24PM
Thumbs Up

Ita gunna shape up to be a great couple of months i think, new faces from all over Oz and a chase for numbers!!!! Let the banter start!!!

Great Job Chris D, and ya gotta love the generosity of a small community, won't get that kind off help from the citys

Bring on the sun and sea breezes

hardie
WA, 4083 posts
22 Nov 2012 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

Hopefully there in January for 5 to 10 days?

S018
SA, 338 posts
22 Nov 2012 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Fantastic......
Bring on the wind

Be safe every one
no more Kimba/Choco Clips !!

lelos12345
NSW, 453 posts
23 Nov 2012 12:51PM
Thumbs Up

IN :_)

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
24 Nov 2012 3:02AM
Thumbs Up

I think it would be great to have all the categories of the GPSTC on the board and in the comp!

aussieboats
NSW, 342 posts
24 Nov 2012 8:10AM
Thumbs Up

where is the best places to stay , and is there any storage facilities to ship gear to and fly down there

issac
NSW, 17 posts
24 Nov 2012 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

wiil be there. if body comes good

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
26 Nov 2012 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

The forecast for LG tomorrow looks quite nice.

Any reports on how the water level and weed is? Jimbob?

bushfire
NSW, 354 posts
26 Nov 2012 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

Very keen! Just got to fit it around the racing champs in late Jan/early Feb.
Sorry if this has been asked before, but what is the go with camping in the area?

Trousers
SA, 565 posts
26 Nov 2012 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

bushfire said...
Sorry if this has been asked before, but what is the go with camping in the area?

the 'spit' is reasonable camping if you don't mind roughing it...there is a long drop there, but that's it for frills. you can camp among the tea trees and get some good cover from the elements. bring your own firewood (assuming there's no fire bans in force)

the drive from the nearest town Beachport is about forty minutes if you want to 'commute' from the caravan park or other accommodation.

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
27 Nov 2012 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

Trousers said...
bushfire said...

the drive from the nearest town Beachport is about forty minutes if you want to 'commute' from the caravan park or other accommodation.

Gee Trousers what do you drive a Gopher ,
it's a 10 to 15 minute drive tops out to the spit, there is also camping areas at the 3 mile camp about 5 minutes.
the spit is private land but the 3 mile is in the conservation park and they charge I think 5 bucks a day not shure thou.
the pub now has a little bus and will pick up and return you for free.

Sailquick,
Yes the forcast for this arvo looks sweet but alas i'm on arvo shift and go to bloody work when it's coming good.
water level is still up and you can sail along the spit easily but it has peaked a few weeks ago and is now dropping as we haven't had rain here for a few weeks, the weed is there but too low at the moment but the water is also warming up and seems to be growing well, there is one spot on the big lake behind the islands that is looking good now though.

Aus06
SA, 235 posts
28 Nov 2012 8:59AM
Thumbs Up

Keep those lake reports coming Jimbob!!

Aus06
SA, 235 posts
20 Dec 2012 8:28AM
Thumbs Up

Attention SA Speed Demons >

As the hosting team of the Lake George GPS event, I think it is fair that we handle all aspects of the comp ourselves. Therefore, I'm looking for someone who speaks 'tech' and can liaise with Dylan (KA72) with regard to downloading data and compiling results etc.

I've contacted Dylan, and he is super keen to help us out, but I am not the best person to deal with this side of the comp.

Any takers?

Please PM me, or chris at dimond dot com dot au.

Looking forward to some windy months ahead on Lake George!!

Kimba
SA, 453 posts
20 Dec 2012 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Chris,
I should be able to help out with a website and maintenance of posted times.
Cheers, Tim.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Lake George - GPS Event 2013" started by WsurfingSA