Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

Lake George - GPS Event 2013

Created by WsurfingSA > 9 months ago, 21 Nov 2012
sailquik
VIC, 6091 posts
2 Mar 2013 12:46AM
Thumbs Up

Very nice day at the flat lake today!

Lots of PB's. Some fantastic speeds runs considering the wind strength didn't get over 30 knots! To be doing 45, 46 and 47 peaks and even one stupendous 48 peak in that little wind is truly amazing and a big testament to the quality of modern gear and the skills of the sailors!

yoyo
WA, 1646 posts
2 Mar 2013 10:43AM
Thumbs Up

Brad. Top in all GPSTC divisions but no back up!

http://gpsteamchallenge.com/rankings/individual?country=1&year=2013&month=03&state=&team=&age_division=&gender=

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
2 Mar 2013 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

No wind up here just Rain

aussieboats
NSW, 342 posts
2 Mar 2013 2:57PM
Thumbs Up

Any videos posted for the last few days

choco
SA, 4032 posts
2 Mar 2013 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

aussieboats said...

Tim had his go pro on his helmet so you should see something in the near future

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
2 Mar 2013 4:33PM
Thumbs Up

aussieboats said...

No video we are trying to keep the place secret.

Kimba
SA, 453 posts
2 Mar 2013 4:42PM
Thumbs Up

I just had a squiz at the footage and will edit something shortly...I reckon the GoPro cost me 0.1 of a knot

aussieboats
NSW, 342 posts
3 Mar 2013 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

Not the worlds greatest secret, i think next year will have to sell tickets to get on the lake , or put in traffic lights , mid coast mauraders are in the planning stages to head down south next year all it does this time of the year up here is rain

Aus06
SA, 235 posts
3 Mar 2013 9:26AM
Thumbs Up

Some photos from Thursday and Friday - no photos from the water sorry, as I was windsurfing!

The rigging scene:

The amount of downhaul required on Sam Doecke's 6m HSM:

Team Captain 'Kimba' rigging his new Avanti sails:

A decent turn-out with sailors from SA, VIC and QLD:

A couple of sailors on the lake, but this photo does not show the epic speed conditions that the late afternoon produced:

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
3 Mar 2013 8:47AM
Thumbs Up

Aus06 said...
Some photos from Thursday and Friday

Thanks

Kimba
SA, 453 posts
3 Mar 2013 12:50PM
Thumbs Up

firiebob said...
Aus06 said...
Some photos from Thursday and Friday

Thanks

Nice one Chris, you captured the vibe on the beach!

B rad
QLD, 44 posts
3 Mar 2013 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

Just got back to Brissy, & missing Lake George already. The stinky weed the mud the sand the super salty water that burns your eyeballs the flat water & of course all the great speedies. I had a ball!

Without a a computer i didn't get the chance to comment on everyones great results
so would just like to say CONGRATULATIONS to ALL!!

There was such a great vibe all the sailors of the GPSTC are like a big family & i look forward to a reunion next year

Kimba
SA, 453 posts
3 Mar 2013 1:26PM
Thumbs Up

Here are a few video stills of a run down the strip. Stills really don't show the feel of the run though.

The "Choppy" middle section on the run in.

Down the run...

The end of the run...Sammy heading back up.

Hitting the skids.

Recovery behind the point.

Talking numbers with Chris.

The pinch back upwind above the small Island - follow a track for less drag!

samOZ
WA, 86 posts
3 Mar 2013 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

Kimba said...
The pinch back upwind above the small Island - follow a track for less drag!

Nice one Tim, It really shows are shallow it is... and can clearly see the lines left by the fins!! Looking forward on the vid
Like Brad said, just fantastic spot even with the mud and rest, I miss it so much!

choco
SA, 4032 posts
3 Mar 2013 3:12PM
Thumbs Up

hollywood

stroppo
WA, 728 posts
3 Mar 2013 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

Nice vid no wonder those great numbers keep coming thick and fast what a place i think i need to start putting some money in a jar each week with LG on the side of it what a epic place looking at the choppy bit thats the smooth bit over here in WA wow

choco
SA, 4032 posts
3 Mar 2013 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

you can actually see the tail cutouts leaving an undisturbed water trail behind the board so do they work at reducing drag? had more footage but Jacques only wanted a short clip I've sent him the SD Card.... .. prepare yourselves for a HOLLYWOOD blockbuster......

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
12 Mar 2013 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

put up the new score board at the pub last week and was there yesterday having a coldy and the boss was having a go at me for be so far down the list, bloody hell I had a pb of over 42 and i'm only in 17th, then i realised we have had 30 sailors over 40 this summer.
may be some action on the weekend just been too hot here the last week.

Magnus8
QLD, 364 posts
12 Mar 2013 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

jimbob SA said...

Do you think it will blow SE again in the next month, if so will the lake be high enough to sail?

Mobydisc
NSW, 9029 posts
12 Mar 2013 3:52PM
Thumbs Up

Magnus8 said...
jimbob SA said...

Do you think it will blow SE again in the next month, if so will the lake be high enough to sail?

If the ACT's/NSW Lake George is empty then the one in SA should be full.

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
12 Mar 2013 11:59PM
Thumbs Up

Magnus8 said...
jimbob SA said...

too late in the season now to risk a trip from qld, weekend looks way south and frontal maybe a bit of west in it not ideal, we have really had no rain since november, flat as out the middle but getting out now is a pain in the ars* but once out it is nirvana, but nearly the autumn doldrums here now,

had some learners intermediates last week from vic with no weedys told them to sail in the bay but they didn't lisen and just got bogged in the weed from the 5 mile and had a **** day,

what we speed saiors say is bloody fantastic is a nightmare for learners and intermediates its a fine line for us both.

Yetti
SA, 253 posts
17 Mar 2013 1:12PM
Thumbs Up

jimbob SA said...
Magnus8 said...
jimbob SA said...

too late in the season now to risk a trip from qld, weekend looks way south and frontal maybe a bit of west in it not ideal, we have really had no rain since november, flat as out the middle but getting out now is a pain in the ars* but once out it is nirvana, but nearly the autumn doldrums here now,

had some learners intermediates last week from vic with no weedys told them to sail in the bay but they didn't lisen and just got bogged in the weed from the 5 mile and had a **** day,

what we speed saiors say is bloody fantastic is a nightmare for learners and intermediates its a fine line for us both.

Yep hard to get out there, what a dream to sail But felt the weed touching in places, had the 31 JP weedy on the Hawk with 7.5 NCX and sailed all day in 16-18 SW Wednesday, got the hawk up to a bees todger off 32 knots. The wife even had a ball on the shark and 6mtr Gator.
Thanks for the tour of the new Palais :-)

Aus06
SA, 235 posts
18 Mar 2013 9:31AM
Thumbs Up

The SA Speed Demons were lucky enough to get onto one of the last days at the Lake this summer on Saturday. Winds around 22-28 knots saw a host of new PBs for some windsurfers in the most categories.

gpsteamchallenge.com.au/sailor_session/show?date=2013-03-16&team=22

The water was super flat and once clear of the muddy shoreline, the sailing was effortless and FAST.

Bit of damage to Carl's board though...

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
18 Mar 2013 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

At least you didn't damage the fin box Carl

Rolz
QLD, 161 posts
18 Mar 2013 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

wow... looks like I gotta get down to SA next year... bit nasty about the board break... is that because there are random bommies one has to be aware of?

Bogan speed team
SA, 407 posts
18 Mar 2013 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Snags,

The rest of the board is perfect - just the rear end doesn't look good. Surely it is worth someone buying for 3/4 of it's value.

Hi Rolz,

Just not sailing too close to Barbie island and you will be okay.

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
18 Mar 2013 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

Gee Barbie was just going to name the rocks out the front of the island after you but you have claimed the whole island.
fair enough you have paid for it.

choco
SA, 4032 posts
18 Mar 2013 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

Which side of the island did you wreck your board Carl?

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
18 Mar 2013 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

That looks nasty!!

Cam Mcleod
QLD, 68 posts
18 Mar 2013 8:55PM
Thumbs Up

Carl I have exactly the same board sitting in a garage in Melbourne unused for the last 3 yrs in VGC-let me know if you can use it !!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Lake George - GPS Event 2013" started by WsurfingSA