Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

Lake George - GPS Event 2013

Created by WsurfingSA > 9 months ago, 21 Nov 2012
pedro e
VIC, 257 posts
19 Mar 2013 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

How does LG go in a westerly wind? And how would this affect lake water levels?

Bogan speed team
SA, 407 posts
19 Mar 2013 9:43AM
Thumbs Up

Choco,

Western side.

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
19 Mar 2013 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

Pedro sent you a pm, oh yeh the forcast for thursday is oh **** hang on.
Westerly is no worrys just sail from the spit half way up the weed beds out from there are absolutely sweet.

www.windguru.cz/323632

www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Beachport/forecasts/latest/six_day

wind.willyweather.com.au/sa/limestone-coast/beachport.html

www.buoyweather.com/wxnav6.jsp?program=nww3BW1&grb=nww3®ion=AS&latitude=-37.5&longitude=139.5&zone=9&units=m

DaGodfather
SA, 280 posts
21 Mar 2013 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

Wow! Thats impressive - according to this there'll be 40-50 knot AVERAGE wind down there later today:

sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
21 Mar 2013 5:17PM
Thumbs Up

Robe AP had 30-42 knots around midday! Might have been more on the lake!

Can't wait to hear the reports.

Aus06
SA, 235 posts
21 Mar 2013 5:17PM
Thumbs Up

I'm with you Andrew. I couldn't make it today, but I know Kimba and Jimbob are there, and hopefully a few others.

Super keen to hear how it went...

sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
21 Mar 2013 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Chris, I heard you were going!

I just had a call from Peter Johnson and Jimbob. Sounds like it was out of control. Crashes, broken gear and gusts smoking the water. Peter said he could not get comfortable, even on a 4m Koncept!

Conditions were very gusty, with gusts up to 45 knots!

The water was flat though!

I look forward to hearing all the war stories!

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
21 Mar 2013 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Man that sounds like fun!!!

Hope Peter had a blast on that 4.0m

Gestalt
QLD, 14392 posts
21 Mar 2013 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

just checked out gps team challenge but nothing up yet.....

keen to find out how the guys went.....

hardie
WA, 4082 posts
21 Mar 2013 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

43.6kts peak by choco

Aus06
SA, 235 posts
23 Mar 2013 2:18PM
Thumbs Up

Wednesday is looking like a very strong northerly. Would this push the water from the big lake down into the middle lake, and help make it sailable?

Is there still the chance of some speed sailing to be done at LG, or has it now passed for this summer?

I can wangle a day trip on Wednesday if it's on...

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
23 Mar 2013 8:30PM
Thumbs Up

Chris on thursday arvo i went to drive to cockys to recover my gear and couldn't get there, the usaul track across was about a foot deep and bottom of middle lake full and pouring into top lake, the channel that cuts across from drain m was full as,
would not suggest driving across there for a while, that said you can drive in from robe road right next to drain m bridge and then turn right before the next bridge and follow fence line around, a bit slip slidy if rain but overwize ok, call me as i'm on days off still then wouldn't mind one last blast before I go into winter hibernation and hit the dunes on the dirt bike,

Herbylyn
QLD, 214 posts
24 Mar 2013 7:56AM
Thumbs Up

Wow, Interesting.

WsurfingSA
SA, 390 posts
27 Mar 2013 2:26PM
Thumbs Up

We are nearly at the end of March, which means we are nearing the end of the 3 month Lake George GPS Event.

With around 30 competitors, and nearly 20 of them achieving 40knots or more, and countless PBs, I think its fair to say that the event has been a success. Add to this the fact that there have been nearly 14,000 hits on this forum topic!

Big thanks to the three organisers Jimbob (Jamie McCourt), Tim Hemer and Chris Dimond, and of course to the major event sponsor the Beachport Hotel.

Big thanks also to the Beachport Motel for offering discounted accommodation to windsurfers throughout this 3 month period.

Please give us a few days after the end of the month to tally the results and allocate the prizes. Results will be posted here.

Also, any feedback from entrants on this years event is kindly appreciated as we begin to make arrangements for next year's event.

Stay tuned...

Erik Loots
WA, 15 posts
29 Mar 2013 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

Little introduction, I am Erik Loots (from speedsurfingblog.com) from the Netherlands. Soon I will head for a consulting job in Sydney, after this job I reserved 2 weeks holiday. One of these 2 weeks between begin May till 19 May I would like (if possible) to do some windsurfing. Lake George sounds like an interesting place, any tips? (I will not bring my windsurfing stuff with me)

sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
30 Mar 2013 3:03AM
Thumbs Up

Erik Loots said...
Little introduction, I am Erik Loots (from speedsurfingblog.com) from the Netherlands. Soon I will head for a consulting job in Sydney, after this job I reserved 2 weeks holiday. One of these 2 weeks between begin May till 19 May I would like (if possible) to do some windsurfing. Lake George sounds like an interesting place, any tips? (I will not bring my windsurfing stuff with me)

Hi Eric,

Unfortunately, you will be a couple of months too late to get the best conditions at Lake George. It really only works best for a few months in Summer. There is a possibility of catching frontal winds there at other times of the year if the water level and the weed beds are still good, but even then, those winds are very gusty and difficult to do well in.

May is not a great time at Sandy Point either. It is our Autumn doldrums, although it is still possible we might get a good strong cold front sometimes. If it looks like a good forecast and you want come down here, let me know and I can find some gear for you to have a bit of fun.

keef
NSW, 2016 posts
30 Mar 2013 9:16AM
Thumbs Up

Erik Loots said...

Erik if there was any chance of getting a sail it would be lake illawarra about 1 1/2hrs south of Sydney at that time of year you should get away with a 3x2mm steamer, I have a van full of n/p rsraceing from 4/6 to7/2 the biggest board I have is a ca55 your welcome to borrow what ever im not using , you will need your harness, wetsuit and maybe booties
after saying that I sailed one day in may last year and 4 times the year before
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Gps/GREAT-MORNINGS-SAILING-WITH-A-COUPLE-OF-PBS/
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/New-South-Wales/Lake-Illawarra-3/

Erik Loots
WA, 15 posts
30 Mar 2013 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

Thank you Keef and Sailquik!

I will get in contact if I see a chance of windsurfing, it would be great to meet you and do some windsurfing . To windsurf at sandy point would be a dream, just the experience. But I know most good sessions at Sandy Point are at the end of each year.

Any wind prediction websites I should look at or is this website the best?

sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
31 Mar 2013 1:58AM
Thumbs Up

Windguru is pretty good for Sandy Point.
There is a Windguru custom spot for Lake George called 'The Spit, Lake George' made by WNormanClarke that is also pretty good for Lake George.
Both should give you a good indication a week to a few days out. Then just watch the excited posts on this forum.

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
1 Apr 2013 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

Erik Loots said...

Dude i am always around lake george but as sailquick said the duldrums have started here, long way from sydney to here and no flights close by, that said i have a missile and sxs and Ka sails you are welcome to have a blast on but the good conditions are past us now. pm me when the time is near to see whats happening but nsw spots may be the go. jimbob.

Erik Loots
WA, 15 posts
6 Apr 2013 6:56AM
Thumbs Up

Thank you Jimbob!

Gestalt
QLD, 14392 posts
6 Apr 2013 10:54AM
Thumbs Up

Erik Loots said...
Thank you Jimbob!

you could try burrum heads. flights are direct from sydney to hervey bay and then 1/2 hour car trip.

if you post in the qld section you might find some help with gear and company on the water.

we are also heading into our doldrums but there is still some wind around.

WsurfingSA
SA, 390 posts
6 Apr 2013 1:21PM
Thumbs Up

FINAL RESULTS FOR LAKE GEORGE - GPS EVENT 2013

PRESENTATION OF PRIZES FOR LAKE GEORGE - GPS EVENT 2013

The Organisers gratefully acknowledge the generous support of the Beachport Hotel and GPSTC in providing the prizes for this event. After considering the calibre of entrants and the number and value of prizes, we decided to award the most valuable prizes to the overall 2 sec winner, and to raffle the other prizes to entrants to reward their participation.

The draw was conducted last night under strict supervision, and the allocation of prizes is as follows:

> Highlander Scotch Whiskey Car Fridge - Brad Anderson QLD as winner of the 2 sec fastest speed (47.96 knots)

> Coopers Surfboard - Mike Layzell WA

> Coopers Esky - Dan Poynton VIC

> Hydrodynamix Boom - Samuel Malfroid WA

> Hydrodynamix Boom - Craig Hollins VIC

> Coopers Pale Ale carton - Herb Halloran QLD

> Coopers Pale Ale carton - Richard Cane SA

> Coopers Pale Ale carton - Anthony Perkins TAS

> Coopers Pale Ale carton - Mathew Robertson VIC

> Coopers Pale Ale carton - Dave Mossop SA

Can the winners please PM Windsurfing SA, or AUS06 to arrange delivery of these prizes.

Prizes can be viewed on the event blog > lakegeorgegps.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

On behalf of the event organisers (Jamie McCourt aka 'Jimbob', Tim Hemer aka 'Kimba' and Chris Dimond aka 'AUS06'), thank you to everybody who entered this great event, and of course special thanks to our generous sponsors - The Beachport Hotel, and GPSTC. Special thanks also to the Beachport Motor Inn for the generous discounts on accommodation for event entrants.

Thanks to Jimbob our 'man on the sand' for his PR skills and welcoming hospitality to all who made the trip to the lake. Thanks to Kimba for his IT skills and collating of event data.

Next year's event will be bigger, better and faster (subject to the conditions of the lake), so now is the time to start planning your leave passes and polishing your fins.

We will be chasing additional sponsors for next year's event, so could any potential sponsors please contact me (Chris Dimond AUS06) to register their support.

Thanks everyone.

elmo
WA, 8722 posts
6 Apr 2013 2:44PM
Thumbs Up

Well done peoples

Sounded like a brilliant and friendly event

Awesome stuff

YP1
SA, 133 posts
6 Apr 2013 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

WoooHooo I won a carton

Thanks to the crew for arranging the event & Sponsors, I had some dam good feeds at the Pub I did clock up a few more Kms that would have made me 5th in distance as I cant seem to crack that 40 yet I will be back to give it a go next year.!

Super Sailing & meeting some superb blokes,, Life's Good

shear tip
NSW, 1125 posts
6 Apr 2013 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome results fellas! I wonder how many of those are PBs? I know of at least two world records in there...

Herbylyn
QLD, 214 posts
6 Apr 2013 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

Well I had a wonderful time at the lake George event. I have to admit that I missed a lot of sailing because I decided that on many occasions the wind was just too strong for me.
Proud to meet such a great lot of sailors.

S018
SA, 338 posts
6 Apr 2013 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Great event and nice to meet up with a bunch of good sailors.
pulled the last carton out of the draw........ Yeah !

the results missed my alpha 24.24 !
so I really finished in 24 place
no matter it's a great event

decrepit
WA, 12083 posts
6 Apr 2013 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

Fantastic event people, huge thanks to everybody involved.
I think the 3 month format is a stroke of genius!
Lets us interstate travellers, come and stay for a few weeks with a good chance of getting it "on".

And to top off all the social fun, increasing my PBs by almost 3 kts, I've won a surfboard for my troubles!!!!!

How could I ever top that?

kato
VIC, 3393 posts
6 Apr 2013 11:27PM
Thumbs Up

A big thanks to everyone who helped put on the Lake George comp it was great fun and I really enjoyed catching up with everyone and meeting some new faces. I love this great community that has developed and passion that we have for our sport. Keep up the great work.

Thank you to all the sponsors for supporting this event ,especially Hydrodynamix as it looks like I have a new boom headed my way

As I have some support with gear from Ka and Mach 2 the boom will go into the Inverloch Windsurfing Club,s fundraiser for our Victorian speed team to send them to Sth Africa. Thanks, Kato

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Lake George - GPS Event 2013" started by WsurfingSA