Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

Lake George - GPS Event 2013

Created by WsurfingSA > 9 months ago, 21 Nov 2012
Dylan72
QLD, 633 posts
6 Jan 2013 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

If anyone is looking for a club to join in order to meet the insurance requirement for this event, we may be able to assist.

We are offering discounted membership in WindWanderers for people that are entering the Burrum Windfest, and we can potentially extend some discount to people keen only on entering the Lake George contest too.

As we are AWA affiliated, that should cover your insurance requirements.

I'd hasten to add that generally speaking, it is usually preferable if you join a local club, just from a value-for-money perspective. We run a long speed competition as well, but only for sailors in Queensland waters.

www.windwanderers.org.au/

Cheers,

Dylan Tusler
(Membership Secretary, WindWanderers Inc.)

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
6 Jan 2013 11:11PM
Thumbs Up

WsurfingSA said...

An important bit of info for anyone speed sailing at Lake George is the contact details for the nearest first aid:

Robe Medical Centre
1 Smilie Street
Robe
08 8768 2012

Approx 20-30 minute drive from the lake (depending on how much pain you are in).

They have an after hours service, so ring when you start driving to give them notice. Hopefully this will not be required by anyone...

Sail safe!

Richard there is also a local doctors setup a Beachport, It is in the same building as the tourist centre.

Aus06
SA, 235 posts
6 Jan 2013 11:52PM
Thumbs Up

Jimbob, that was me.

When I needed stitches in my foot last summer, there was no one available to assist me in Beachport. I was sent to Robe.

I thought it wise to alert others to the first aid location. From my experience, Robe Medical Centre was far better equipped than Beachport, and Kingston Hospital is better again (another 20-30 mins up the road).

Hope you got out on the water this weekend...

yoyo
WA, 1646 posts
7 Jan 2013 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

Daffy's Lake George tracks

Nice upwind angles on a 19cm fin.

WsurfingSA
SA, 390 posts
7 Jan 2013 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

Regarding Insurance and State Association Memberships - John Rohde from the Australian Windsurfing Association has stated:

"All participants must be a member of a State Windsurfing association. It is not OK to accept any other third party liability insurance that they may already have. The event organisers should be able to accept new memberships at the event. It doesn't Matter that they will be joining Windsurfing SA. If they are not on the national register (see AWA website), they would have to join up. The membership fee would need to cover AWA insurance and affiliation - $15+$3 so that Windsurfing SA is not out-of-pocket."

So $18 will get you covered for this event if you are not already a current member of a State Windsurfing Association.

Once again, go to www.windsurfing.org/insurance.htm for details.

Or www.windsurfing.org/files/info/AWA_Members.pdf to see if you are a current member.

You can join Windsurfing SA online here:http://wsa.roundtablelive.org/

Kimba
SA, 453 posts
9 Jan 2013 3:52PM
Thumbs Up

A Ranking and Sponsors page have been added to the Event Blog...

A reminder to participants, remember to add the event in the pull down at the top of the session page when posting your results...)

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
10 Jan 2013 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

Just some data I have for the board in the pub from the first weekend,

Kimba will have the official data on the website,

Ado VIC Melbourne 42.22
Hamma SA Barmera 42.10 Daffy VIC Sandy Point 41.93
Jarques Kint VIC Geelong 41.90
Sam Doecke SA Murray Bridge 41.48
Gaz Qld Cairns ? 41.08
John Kane VIC Warnarbool 40.64
Carl Mac SA Adelaide 39.97
Hardie WA Perth 39.79
Dan P VIC Melbourne 38.80
Jimbob SA Beachport 38.59 PJ Ciesa SA Adelaide 33.16
Danny Q SA Mt Burr no data Chris Scott SA Adelaide no data
Geoff Shut SA Adelaide no data
Ricky SA Barmera no dat Norman SA Adelaide no data
Shane Q SA Mt Burr no gps
Max VIC Warnarbool no gps
JKs mate VIC Warnarbool no gps
Flea SA Mt Gambier no gps
2 unknown VIC Melbourne

stringer
WA, 703 posts
18 Jan 2013 2:57PM
Thumbs Up

so i take it we are looking for southerly winds as best forecast? 25-30+ kntos?

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
18 Jan 2013 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

Beachport Motor Inn Discount

Hi crew just letting you know that the Beachport Motor Inn has offerd a 10% discount to all windsurfers staying there over the event time, all you need to do is let them know you are a windsurfer.

Have also taken pics of the prizes from the pub and Kimba will update the website after he gets back from his holiday.

Stringer SE 20 to 30 is best over summer but a Westerly front will still give great 2 sec speeds, but for speed alpha nm and hours the SE seabreeze is very constant here.

was planing through some mirror water yesterday but was a light 6.6 day,

lakegeorgegps.blogspot.com/

Aus06
SA, 235 posts
18 Jan 2013 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome work Jimbob!

Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
20 Jan 2013 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Jamie,

How's the weed/water level looking?

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
22 Jan 2013 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

Bonominator said...
Hey Jamie,

Sorry Ado for not replying Quicker on bloody night shift,
sailed last sat on a northerly from cockys point, hard to tell about level as it was north and water had pushed in from big lake, that said I had some mirror water behind the islands with ful wind across it could even do planing gybes there as well, wind was only light tho and I had a 24 fin.

looking good tommorrow arvo and will get out in the arvo and sail with Hardie who is coming tonight and camping out the spit, will sail from cockys and go around the midle lake but its looking good.

Oh and I found the summer cup too, was a bit surprised to find a milk container in the closed fridge as well.

KJ
VIC, 156 posts
22 Jan 2013 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

I've got a 20-25knot forecast for Sat afternoon, so i'll most likely be over for a jett dog at about lunch time. Might see you at the Cafe then Jimbob.

JK

sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
22 Jan 2013 10:11PM
Thumbs Up

jimbob SA said...
Bonominator said...
Hey Jamie,

sailed last sat on a northerly from cockys point, hard to tell about level as it was north and water had pushed in from big lake, that said I had some mirror water behind the islands with ful wind across it could even do planing gybes there as well, wind was only light tho and I had a 24 fin.

looking good tommorrow arvo and will get out in the arvo and sail with Hardie who is coming tonight and camping out the spit, will sail from cockys and go around the midle lake but its looking good.

Oh and I found the summer cup too, was a bit surprised to find a milk container in the closed fridge as well.

Opps! Sorry about the milk! Completely forgot about it. It must have been well curdled!

decrepit
WA, 12061 posts
22 Jan 2013 7:18PM
Thumbs Up

At Nullabor roadhouse tonight, possibly make LG Thursday/Friday

elmo
WA, 8716 posts
22 Jan 2013 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

Drive safe Decrep, watch out for mad Sth Aussies chucking u turns

Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
23 Jan 2013 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

jimbob SA said...
Bonominator said...
Hey Jamie,

Thanks for the update Jamie. Glad you found the cup! Have a good one!

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
23 Jan 2013 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

decrepit said...
At Nullabor roadhouse tonight, possibly make LG Thursday/Friday

Have fun Old Fella, I hope you Herby get to cross paths, he's on the road somewhere

decrepit
WA, 12061 posts
23 Jan 2013 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Firey, yes hope to catch Herby and Mal.

Engine light came on today 10kms out of Penong, mechanic there read the logs, which said misfire on number 3, he said it was probably the coil, but had no time to fix it.

Found a nice mechanic in Ceduna who worked on it this arvo, not coil, not spark plug, not injector. Least obvious the gas conversion computer wasn't sending no 3 injector enough jolts. Smart bloke, disconnected gas conversion lead to injectors and reconnected original cable from main computer. 2hrs later we're back on the road, but can't use gas, and staying at Ceduna instead of Port Augusta, so ETA is now Friday arvo.

hardie
WA, 4081 posts
23 Jan 2013 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

Lake george is a magic place to sail, its like a magic carpet ride, so many places to bear away so flat in such a large area, and Jimbob, reckons its still choppy, that it gets much flatter Fastest I've ever sailed. Makes my past fave spot shark bay look difficult by comparison. An annual trip now If its possible!!!!!!!!

sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
23 Jan 2013 11:40PM
Thumbs Up

hardie said...
Lake george is a magic place to sail, its like a magic carpet ride, so many places to bear away so flat in such a large area, and Jimbob, reckons its still choppy, that it gets much flatter Fastest I've ever sailed. Makes my past fave spot shark bay look difficult by comparison. An annual trip now If its possible!!!!!!!!

It sounds like you have caught the bug as well Hardie. There's a bit of it going around..........

Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
24 Jan 2013 9:53AM
Thumbs Up

sailquik said...
hardie said...

It sounds like you have caught the bug as well Hardie. There's a bit of it going around..........

Hell I'm in love with the place!

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
24 Jan 2013 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

Decript make sure you are here by monday as it looks mutch like we had yesterday with Hardie a sweet Se breeze, hollywood and red will be around too. you camping or moteling as the long weekend is always very busy here on the coast for aussie day after that it qiutens right off.
I have your new 4.4 sitting in my shed waiting for you.

decrepit
WA, 12061 posts
24 Jan 2013 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

JimBob,

We have a house booked for Sunday, Friday and Sat nights we'll look for a motel or something.

Looking forward to trying the new sail, I'll PM you about pickup

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
25 Jan 2013 10:51AM
Thumbs Up

Better have it flat to the floor Mike been blowing 30+ WSW all morning here. I'm just too stuffed after nights so having a rest day.
About the sail I think I might just keep it
no really i will be around Beachport all weekend so will chuck it in the trailer and catch up.
Aussie day is looking good. actually it nearly always good SE beeze every year on Aussie day remember having lots of wave days a pebbles in the past years.

yoyo
WA, 1646 posts
25 Jan 2013 11:00AM
Thumbs Up

Windxtasy
WA, 4014 posts
25 Jan 2013 2:11PM
Thumbs Up

I had to laugh when reading the clues for the cyptic crossword in today's Australian.

12 down: Plight of decrepit man seen wandering (11)

Let's hope it is not lack of wind! (Hang on, that's only ten letters)

decrepit
WA, 12061 posts
25 Jan 2013 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

Anita, you could have found decrepit man wondering along Lake shore, trying to find where on earth they sail!!!!!! Lake George looks bigger than the Mandurah estuary.

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
25 Jan 2013 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

decrepit said...
Anita, you could have found decrepit man wondering along Lake shore, trying to find where on earth they sail!!!!!! Lake George looks bigger than the Mandurah estuary.

I will be around in the morning, should be able to drive you around and fill you in on the spots and wind directions, also areas to steer clear off,

Windxtasy
WA, 4014 posts
25 Jan 2013 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

decrepit said...

I've got it! plight of decrepit man wandering:
11 letters - cantfindrun

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Lake George - GPS Event 2013" started by WsurfingSA