Lake George Speed Sessions 2014

Created by Aus06 > 9 months ago, 30 Aug 2013
AJEaster
NSW, 696 posts
20 Dec 2013 10:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jimbob SA said..

up to 34 SE forcast tommorrow on buoywether might have to get the missile out been a while as normally sail the surf till chrissie but the local pointer has been hanging around too much the last couple weeks so the lake might be a safer bet.

Looking fwd to a report on your expedition Jimbob, regarding water levels and weed length. I have the option to come down late January for two weeks, or the first two weeks of March. So whatever offers the best wind and water conditions I will run with. I assume due to School holidays it might be a tad busy at the van park in mid-late Jan?

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
22 Dec 2013 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

Hey AJ check my post on the team challenge for some info.

Aus06
SA, 235 posts
4 Jan 2014 3:48PM
Thumbs Up

Day trip to LG for me tomorrow

Forecast is NW to SW up to 30 knots. These are both directions which are not good for flat water, but I've got the leave pass and I'm going for it.

Maybe in behind the islands I might find something flat?

sick_em_rex
NSW, 1600 posts
5 Jan 2014 11:14AM
Thumbs Up

only 5 weeks to go for me.....mmmmm I'm Big Kev excited
Hope you get a cracking day Chris!

Aus06
SA, 235 posts
6 Jan 2014 8:57AM
Thumbs Up

I was on the water early at LG in a cranking NW'ly with heavy rain squalls, and got smashed. Within a couple of hours it had moderated slightly and swung to the west. I rigged my 6.0 NCX on the W54 with 23 Delta Speed Weed and had a ball. No huge numbers, but it was good to get out on the lake and get some time on the speed board again. My new sails should arrive today

The water depth behind the islands was about an arm's length from the surface to the top of the weed...

Some pics:
(sorry, was a bit bored behind the wheel early on)

Mobydisc
NSW, 9029 posts
6 Jan 2014 9:41AM
Thumbs Up

Those pictures tell a thousand words. The water looks incredibly flat for those wind strengths.

It looks like a whole bunch of people are coming down from Sydney in February. Yesterday at Kyeemagh there seemed to be two types of windsurfers. Those who are excited about going to Lake George next month and the dejected ones who are not.

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
7 Jan 2014 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Chris by your tracks you didn't go behind the islands on the big lake like we talked about and when I said of the end of the spit I meant right of the end not the tree line in a nw to w. Check my tracks from today on gpstc to see what I mean was sweet there today. On my phone so will put up pic tomorrow when on laptop,

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
8 Jan 2014 10:51AM
Thumbs Up

tonyd
QLD, 397 posts
8 Jan 2014 10:54AM
Thumbs Up

Just wondering if weed fins are compulsory or can you get away with small Slingshots or Vector delta Speeds at LG ?

PJCiesa
SA, 72 posts
10 Jan 2014 10:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tonyd said..

Just wondering if weed fins are compulsory or can you get away with small Slingshots or Vector delta Speeds at LG ?

The smaller the better. Slingshots or Vector delta should be okay. I'll be trying out some UFO Wide 30's and 40's (www.mxrwindsurfing.com/}
If you get a weed fin try for a 24cm with matching board if at all possible.
It's the starting that takes forever as the water level drops off at LG.

Cheers PJ

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
11 Jan 2014 12:04AM
Thumbs Up

C3 Slingshots have worked well there the last two seasons. They have just enough rake to shed the weed once you are up and going. They can sometimes catch a bit as you are trying to start in the really thick stuff, but once going they are fine.

Anything with 30 degree rake or more on the leading edge is OK. I also used KA assy speeds, MXR wide 30's and Lessacher Duo Rake 30's there with great results. I also tried Vector Delta 40's and they were fine but I felt there was scant advantage in the extra rake. The weed at LG seems to slide past or off the raked fins very easily.

I didn't use a fin deeper than 23cm there at all and that was only one Hr session attempt with a Vector speed weed 40 23cm. It felt a bit big on my IS50 actually! For my best 1 hr I used the Lessacher Duo Rake30 at 22cm, a Slingshot 19cm for my best NM and for all other speed sessions KA 20cm or MXR wide 30 16cm.

I am looking forward to trying the new Tribal (Lockwood design) assys in 18cm and 16.5cm there this year if the water level cooperates.

Boombuster
QLD, 571 posts
11 Jan 2014 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

Leaving Bris for LG trip on the 21st Jan driving down should I take my time getting there for the windy time is early Feb best or can it be best any time I see good winds were March last year or is it like any place as i can blow anytime.
Will be looking for good places to sail on the way down 1st Port Macquarie, Syd, inland too SA then Vic, S Point, back up the east coast too Bris home again. Would love to hear from anyone wanting to sail with on my trip.
PM me if your keen to show me your spots local knowledge is welcome as I hate hitting things while sailing.
Thanks Boombuster.

Bogan speed team
SA, 407 posts
11 Jan 2014 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Glynn,

It looks like February / march this year will be good...
Let us know when you are going to be there and hope to catch up..
Always good to meet fellow speed freaks

Boombuster
QLD, 571 posts
14 Jan 2014 8:55AM
Thumbs Up

Is Willy Weather the best wind forecast indicator for LG Beachport?

Herbylyn
QLD, 214 posts
14 Jan 2014 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Glynn, www.windguru.cz/323632

Take a look here....there are 1 or 2 substantial weather stations anchored on LG.

Take Jimbob's advice as to when will be the best time to arrive.

Hi Sue /

Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
14 Jan 2014 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..

C3 Slingshots have worked well there the last two seasons. They have just enough rake to shed the weed once you are up and going. They can sometimes catch a bit as you are trying to start in the really thick stuff, but once going they are fine.

Anything with 30 degree rake or more on the leading edge is OK. I also used KA assy speeds, MXR wide 30's and Lessacher Duo Rake 30's there with great results. I also tried Vector Delta 40's and they were fine but I felt there was scant advantage in the extra rake. The weed at LG seems to slide past or off the raked fins very easily.

I didn't use a fin deeper than 23cm there at all and that was only one Hr session attempt with a Vector speed weed 40 23cm. It felt a bit big on my IS50 actually! For my best 1 hr I used the Lessacher Duo Rake30 at 22cm, a Slingshot 19cm for my best NM and for all other speed sessions KA 20cm or MXR wide 30 16cm.

I am looking forward to trying the new Tribal (Lockwood design) assys in 18cm and 16.5cm there this year if the water level cooperates.

I can vouch for the mighty C3 Slingshot 19cm when I took out Daffy's board last year and got the top max and Av speed of the day. Very nice behind the Island. Using the same board and sail, it was 1.5-2 knots faster than with a KA20 in the back end. Couldn't see any other reason for the difference.

Daffy, where can one get the new Locky fins?

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
15 Jan 2014 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tonyd said..

Good luck with that, weedys only for me when its on,

kato
VIC, 3403 posts
15 Jan 2014 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

How's that water level looking Jamie,getting a little impatient and very keen for a warm speed sailing session

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
15 Jan 2014 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

Kato
Level is still high I sailed with a 30 pointer last few days but seems to be dropping now especially these 45 degree days, still no super flat water but sailed in 25 knots with no white caps in most areas, sat on looks like 5 days of se breeze back to work tommorrow but finish at 3 so will hit it then but if there is swell will be at the beach as that is my preferred sailing. i have been sailing of cockys just have to drive up around the top the last bit and not much of walk out at all(20 metres) but if the wind is forcast to go to the west or north you will be stuck there with no way out as the water from the big lake floods into the middle lake. the nm run from behind the islands and then along the spit is not too far away (daffy knows the one he followed me last year the bugger)
the bottom is really good and firm around the spit and out from cockys but if you go from the 5mile drift at the end of the road it is mud slush.

Yetti
SA, 253 posts
16 Jan 2014 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

Cya there again this Saturday jimbob, staying till tuesday, forecast looks alright I must say :-)

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
16 Jan 2014 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

How different is it from when I came over in Jan last year Jimbob? Is the water level up to the spit beach or do you have to sail well out like last year? Is the water across the gap between lakes reasonably flat yet? (NM )

Thinking of coming over for a few days since I am on holidays.

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
16 Jan 2014 11:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bonominator said..

I can vouch for the mighty C3 Slingshot 19cm when I took out Daffy's board last year and got the top max and Av speed of the day. Very nice behind the Island. Using the same board and sail, it was 1.5-2 knots faster than with a KA20 in the back end. Couldn't see any other reason for the difference.

Ahhh.... probably something to do with the KA20 being assy for starboard tack and we were on port tack!! The slingshot is symmetrical.

Select to expand quote
Bonominator said..

KA sails Australia: Peter is producing them under his 'Tribal' logo. Not sure if they are on the website yet. Contact Peter direct or try Chris.

All the ones we got for Luderitz were Starboard tack. Not sure if they is doing Port tack or symmetrical versions.

Roar
NSW, 471 posts
17 Jan 2014 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

Will be wnadering down there first week of Feb.

You still owe me a BBQ Jimbob! be good to catch up with you again.

We also off to maui again in june this year :)

Craig

Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
17 Jan 2014 1:08PM
Thumbs Up

Oh

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..

Bonominator said..

Ahhh.... probably something to do with the KA20 being assy for starboard tack and we were on port tack!! The slingshot is symmetrical.

Bonominator said..

KA sails Australia: Peter is producing them under his 'Tribal' logo. Not sure if they are on the website yet. Contact Peter direct or try Chris.

All the ones we got for Luderitz were Starboard tack. Not sure if they is doing Port tack or symmetrical versions.

Thanks mate! Yeah, must have had the 23 Symmy in then! That would explain it.

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
17 Jan 2014 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bonominator said..

Oh, Thanks mate! Yeah, must have had the 23 Symmy in then! That would explain it.

Yes, I remeber now. You were using the KA23 Symmy. Quite a bit bigger fin would explain the difference. And a lucky gust!

Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
17 Jan 2014 3:11PM
Thumbs Up

Hey three lucky gusts! It was one of the best averages of the day too might I add!

I'm fixing my mind on early Feb when the water level's down a bit so keen to share a ride again if that suits you. Maybe late this month when you're still on holidays?

sick_em_rex
NSW, 1600 posts
17 Jan 2014 3:42PM
Thumbs Up

Come the second week of Feb boys. It'll be just like Sandy Point but a real speed spot !!!

boardboy
QLD, 554 posts
17 Jan 2014 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

2nd week in Feb - ill be there.

AJEaster
NSW, 696 posts
17 Jan 2014 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

Has the water level ever got too low to speed sail with say a 20-23cm fin by March? I cant make it down till the first two weeks of March and am worried that I may be leaving it too late. Still potentially good breezes in March?

choco
SA, 4034 posts
17 Jan 2014 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AJEaster said..

Has the water level ever got too low to speed sail with say a 20-23cm fin by March? I cant make it down till the first two weeks of March and am worried that I may be leaving it too late. Still potentially good breezes in March?

I think March will have the lake level at it's best and this is when the REAL winds crank look at the last 2 years gone by(35+ knts and 45+ knts).

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Lake George Speed Sessions 2014" started by Aus06