Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

SPEED FORTNIGHT SANDY POINT 2008 - 4

Created by mathew > 9 months ago, 7 Oct 2008
mathew
QLD, 2037 posts
7 Oct 2008 10:11PM
Thumbs Up

Wind blew again today (Tuesday - second week) so it was time for some serious face plants... as the wind come from the WNW all day. It was just enough to get the on the famed speed run for a short distance, before hitting the whoop-dee-doos - culminating in a hole in the water... But the 40 was broken!

Results:
--------
1. Dan Engdahl : 40.817
2. Sam Parker : 40.193
3. Chris Lockwood : 39.948
4. Michael van der Plight : 39.251
5. Craig Hollins : 38.483
6. Andew Daff : 38.018
7. Chris Adamson : 36.059
8. Trevor Brown : 34.828
9. Mathew Robertson : 34.211
10. Rick Packham : 33.993
11. Chris Christensen : 33.882
12. Ian Knight : 33.625
13. Luca Sansalone : 33.446
14. Craig Hammond : 32.999
15. David Flanagan : 32.022
16. Andrew Donovan : 31.634
17. Nick Edwards : 29.938
18. Grant Larkin : 29.938
19. Dale Jones : 27.191
20. Dale Keating : 27.124
21. Alastair Ryan : 23.288

Prizes:
------
Dales Jones : Aerotech uphaul rope from Stuart Bell Sails
Luca Sansalone : SPT lockable tie downs
David Flanagan : $50 gift voucher from Surf Sail WA
Grant Larkin : Mast base protector from Stuart Bell Sails
Alistair Ryan : Harness lines from Stuart Bell Sails

AUS1111
WA, 3619 posts
7 Oct 2008 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Matt

I though I better mention I gave you the wrong file by mistake - that was yesterday's. My 5 X 10 was 38.84. IF you PM me your email addess I can send it to you.

Thanks,

Ado

Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
7 Oct 2008 11:17PM
Thumbs Up

Cool

Sad to have missed the event. Had to look after sick ones at home and work.

Gotta love those short run whoop-dee-doos though. Ouch!

Looking forward to November fun.

mathew
QLD, 2037 posts
7 Oct 2008 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

Waiting4wind
NSW, 1871 posts
7 Oct 2008 11:55PM
Thumbs Up

mathew said...

Looks a bit cool down there!

Some good speeds on the board, hope the wind plays ball.

sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
8 Oct 2008 12:54AM
Thumbs Up

Waiting4wind said...

Looks a bit cool down there!

Some good speeds on the board, hope the wind plays ball.

Nah. Today was quite mild...

It was very difficult speed conditions today. 20-25 knots for the most part with the odd gust close to 30. Very broad and very choppy with the standing waves from the incoming tide making interesting 'whoop de doos'. It was a day where fitness and perseverance really counted and those that had it reaped a just reward.
The level of speed sailing is increasing all the time and I would have loved to see what these fellows could have achieved in really good conditions. Alas, it looks like the wind will evaporate for the rest of the week so we will have to wait a while to find out.
I was quite surprised there was not more carnage given the conditions but I did see a couple of 'interesting' moments:
Sam Parker (who sailed exceptionally well and fast all day) was coming down the course towards me as I was walking back. He was hugging the bank, obviously trying to avoid the worst of the rolling 'whoop de doos' when a brief lull caused him to lose power and his board swerved towards the sand. I was certain he was headed for a huge stack on the bank when miraculously he managed to bear away and save it. Don't know how his fin missed the bottom when he was 2 feet from the sand!!
Mike Van de Plight was also having a great day, sailing with aggression and great skill through the chop and bumps for well deserved PB's. He had his board trimming beautifully and as he passed me a few times he was just skipping across the tops of the 'whoop de doos' I could clearly see at least half of his fin clear of the water. It made me flinch in anticipation but he just kept driving hard and to my great surprise survived every run!
There were a couple of very near misses when people crashed at the end of the course and were just missed by a following sailor. Craig Hollins can attest to that. He was probably more concerned for his new green toy than his personal safety though.

The speed course was the busiest I have seen it for a very long time today with over 25 sailors going for it. It was a great credit to all involved that it all went safely and due courtesy and consideration was shown by all. Well done guys!

Gestalt
QLD, 14374 posts
8 Oct 2008 12:38AM
Thumbs Up

congrats vando,

well done mate!

seahorse
QLD, 133 posts
8 Oct 2008 8:29AM
Thumbs Up

Mat & Al,

Sent my file through as soon as I could after drive home but seems you didn't get it in time. My 5x10 doppler was 36.209. Another awesome day - pity to have to leave early. Turns out my early runs were some of the best and I didn't have to contend with the whoop de doos then. Bit stiff in the neck after big stack but really enjoyed the day.

John

Goo Screw
VIC, 269 posts
8 Oct 2008 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

Great effort guysI can only try to imagine how gnarly it was

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"SPEED FORTNIGHT SANDY POINT 2008 - 4" started by mathew