Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

SPEED FORTNIGHT SANDY POINT 2008 - 5

Created by mathew > 9 months ago, 8 Oct 2008
mathew
QLD, 2036 posts
8 Oct 2008 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

An unexpected wind sprang up today - although crappy, it was good enough very early and quite late in the day. The NSW guys managed a skunkworks, to get out early with the best wind.

Results:
--------
1. Sam Parker : 37.801
2. Nick Edwards : 35.197
3. Craig Hollins : 34.771
4. Chris Christensen : 34.217
5. Andrew Donovan : 32.316
6. Luca Sansalone : 31.980
7. Rick Packham : 31.942
8. Ian Knight : 31.933
9. Craig Hammond : 31.711
10. Trevor Brown : 31.555
11. Grant Larkin : 31.265
12. David Flanagan : 30.899
13. Al Green : 30.366
14. Andrew Daff : 30.15
15. Michael van der Plight : 29.136
16. Mathew Robertson : 28.986
17. Adam Craven : 28.937
18. Alastair Ryan : 28.042
19. Dale Jones : 28.003

Prizes:
------
Adam Craven : Harness lines from Stuart Bell Sails
Sam Parker : Harness lines from Stuart Bell Sails
Ian Knight : Harness lines from Stuart Bell Sails
Grant Larkin : Aerotech backpack from Stuart Bell Sails
Nick Edwards : Gath Helmet with fixed visor from Gath

mathew
QLD, 2036 posts
8 Oct 2008 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

al green
37 posts
9 Oct 2008 5:14AM
Thumbs Up

Another great turnout yesterday considering the conditions were totally crap !! .. To get any good runs in, one had to be totally dedicated and spend the day at the pit just waiting for that odd gust that may have been somewhere in the right direction or find somewhere to sail to get the benefit of the wind direction, the dedication of the guys was awesome and you can see by their times who worked at it hard to receive the results, in the "old days" when a speed course had to be set up it just wouldn't have happened or even worked if it had.
Congratulations and thanks to the guys for putting in such a fantastic effort.

Allan....

al green
37 posts
10 Oct 2008 3:25PM
Thumbs Up

Big BBQ on again tonight Friday, at 80 Sandy point road..

The event is winding up now as no more wind is forecast for the weekend, with a number of sailors already heading home.

The event turned out great with all the top names in Australian speed sailing showing up, the great west south west winds that we prey to the wind gods for just didn't become reality, however some extremely impressive times were reached considering the wind direction and water condition, it is quite obvious that the level of skill of speed sailor has increased over the years.

We hope to have all the final times up late tonight..

I would like to thank all the guys for taking the time and effort to attend Speed Fortnight 2008 and enjoying in the fun..

Allan....

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
10 Oct 2008 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

Back home again had a great time, great bunch of people except Al of coarse.
everyone else was really nice.Well have fun at the BBQ catch ya all next year.

ta Vando

kato
VIC, 3376 posts
10 Oct 2008 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

A very big thanks to Al for once again putting up with ,all of us sailing around him and going faster ,the cold water and the not so strong wind May he next year not have so many swiming lessons Thanks to Jodi from White Caps who stood out there in the wind and sand (Cameras love that stuff) and took thousands of photos and video as we had fun and Matt who did all the nessary computer work to very late into the night. We set a new record for eating dinner, 11pm. To anyone who hasn,t made the trek to the Pit,you won,t regret it. This year was the worst for wind but all who sailed said they had never had flat water like this. We even set a few PB,s on the way. You,ll also never talk as much windsurfing speedtech crap in your life (Thanks CUB)
See ya all next year

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
10 Oct 2008 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

And well done to Luca Sansalone & Rick Packham a couple of guys from Townsville, a place not known for wind, congrats guys awesome effort

If you're still there on the weekend, look out for Dr Cam, he's going to sign you up to the FNQ Mob

pacman76
QLD, 123 posts
12 Oct 2008 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

hi bob,
we are currently taking offers from all teams put your bid in and we will see wat we can do

didnt see cam but we will be at sandy point tomorrow for one final epic day
cheers,

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
12 Oct 2008 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Rick, mate I'm not surprised other mobs are head hunting you & Luca

Start a new team or join one, but just do it

Cam's flying out Monday.

WINDSURFnSNOW
NSW, 1612 posts
Site Sponsor
13 Oct 2008 1:59PM
Thumbs Up

HI Matt,

I feel that the Cockroaches have been slighted a bit by early morning skunkworks allegations. Sure we out early in some nice condition but my best 4 10 sec runs were all in the afternoon session.
Might be a good thing that the rest of the roaches didn't get out later on as crappy conditions are all we know up here .

Anyway thanks bigtime for your help in getting all the data sorted for us while we were there. It was a big job that not many wold want to take on.

Cheers,

Sam.

mathew
QLD, 2036 posts
13 Oct 2008 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

WINDSURFnSNOW said...
I feel that the Cockroaches have been slighted a bit by early morning skunkworks allegations.

Apologies - the skunkworks thing is actually a good thing -> the rest of us could have been out there with you, but we got lazy!

A few years ago we had a "Qld house" vs "everyone else" rivalry going on. The non-Qld'ers got out for a sail on a very light day - we though that we got a 30.05 5x10, thus making the day count -> it turned out that we got 29.97 (or something like that).

It made for a great talking point that night, as we bantered on how to make the most of the light-wind days. Each year since, there has been a mini-challenge for the guys to get out on the water -> to be that years skunkworks team.

kato
VIC, 3376 posts
13 Oct 2008 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

Wot do you mean "We got lazy" Matt You lot just ran out of steam before it got good at 8pm and I need my morning sleep in . The late stayers should have got a great day today at the Pit.SW most of the day (15-20) with a nice lot of sun shine.

pacman76
QLD, 123 posts
13 Oct 2008 11:49PM
Thumbs Up

yeah it wasnt too bad at all. needed another 5knots. saw 4 runs by the maquarie team.............. no record but they got around 48 knots peak in about 15 to 18 knots.

thanks everyone for the two weeks, it was awesome.

cheers,

sailquik
VIC, 6088 posts
14 Oct 2008 12:57AM
Thumbs Up

They did 4 runs? OK, I thought it was only 3......

Uploading a video to youtube now. Will take a while............

latedropeddy
VIC, 417 posts
14 Oct 2008 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

monday...

Tom C

flyby

kato
VIC, 3376 posts
14 Oct 2008 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

Nice shot of Sailquick flying past MI

snides8
WA, 1730 posts
14 Oct 2008 6:25PM
Thumbs Up

faaaaaark that water looks flat....got to get me some of that......1 day

sailquik
VIC, 6088 posts
14 Oct 2008 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

snides8 said...

Yeah, well its is pretty flat when there is barely 15 knots of wind.

snides8
WA, 1730 posts
14 Oct 2008 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

sailquik said...

snides8 said...

Yeah, well its is pretty flat when there is barely 15 knots of wind.

yeah but 15 knots is very sailable and the water is flat as...1 of my most memorable sails has been at yo yo's in 12 to 15 knots.will never forget that sound of the ripples chattering under the hull....drool, drool

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"SPEED FORTNIGHT SANDY POINT 2008 - 5" started by mathew