Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

What will be the fastest board and sail in 2012?

Created by SWS > 9 months ago, 14 Aug 2011
SWS
SA, 196 posts
14 Aug 2011 7:31AM
Thumbs Up

What will be the fastest production board and sail on Australian waters in 2012?

pepe47
WA, 1381 posts
14 Aug 2011 7:02AM
Thumbs Up

Probably the one with the best sailor on it.

choco
SA, 4034 posts
14 Aug 2011 9:01AM
Thumbs Up

pepe47 said...

spot on!

SWS
SA, 196 posts
14 Aug 2011 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

What about the luck of getting the right conditions

choco
SA, 4034 posts
14 Aug 2011 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

SWS said...

What about the luck of getting the right conditions

True if you say travelled to Sandy every good forecast then your odds would increase on getting in a good session

Haggar
QLD, 1664 posts
14 Aug 2011 3:20PM
Thumbs Up

pepe47 said...

+ 1 and eats chop for breaky

jsnfok
WA, 899 posts
14 Aug 2011 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

Production speed board or slalom board, big difference in top speed

petermac33
WA, 6415 posts
14 Aug 2011 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

anyone else find sailing in flattish water or off-shore conditions boring as fk?

have not sailed at Sandy Point, but if it's as flat as Point Walter, then after 5 minutes i'm bored.

curious to know, what is the the mindset of someone that sails in a mill-pond?

decrepit
WA, 12166 posts
14 Aug 2011 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

Agree with Pepe,
The fastest gear will be the one with the fastest sailor on, in WA probably slowy.

petermac33 said...

anyone else find sailing in flattish water or off-shore conditions boring as fk?

have not sailed at Sandy Point, but if it's as flat as Point Walter, then after 5 minutes i'm bored.

Can't see what you find boring about it, perhaps you haven't gone fast enough?

For me dead flat water is almost addictive.
Crasher was out yesterday on very flat water with his big nude, the board wasn't going dr-dr-dr-dr. It was just a low rumble like a jet plane, never heard a sailboard make a sound like it. He had the biggest grin on his face, told hardie it was like a magic carpet ride.

I also love being able to crank as many Gs in a gybe as possible with a huge rooster tail.
I for one have no chance of that in choppy conditions.

Give me head high peeling waves, or dead flat water any time.
Short chop is no fun at all!

sailquik
VIC, 6094 posts
14 Aug 2011 11:50PM
Thumbs Up

petermac33 said...

curious to know, what is the the mindset of someone that sails in a mill-pond

I never get tired of sailing on really flat water. But speed sailing is not really about sailing flat water at all.
You never get mill-pond flat water in conditions where sailing over 45 knots is possible. In these conditions it is razor edge stuff and the adrenalin is flowing freely. When you get to top speed you are hammering over following chop and can have a painful spin out and crash at any moment (just ask Peter J! ). By the time you have peaked the water is usually big, close and confused chop and stopping without wiping out is a huge challenge. No way you can get bored with that stuff!
The pictures you have seen of speed sailing at Sandy Point are very deceptive.
I don't think there has been a picture taken yet at Sandy Point which shows the true nature of the water state and the speed at the fast end of the course in record conditions. Every photo and video I have ever seen is taken at the run-in end of the course where the water is very smooth and most in pretty mild conditions. Lets just say that in 45+ knots conditions, most photographers are heading for shelter from the stinging sand and trying to protect their expensive equipment from the extreme elements. Not to mention the daunting slog on foot through ankle deep soft sand for more than a kilometer to get into position. Very few have attempted it.
BTW: To all you budding sports photographers out there, here is a big opportunity for you to make a name for yourself.

Bender
WA, 2224 posts
14 Aug 2011 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

petermac33 said...

All i can say is you must not have been going fast enough, rigged big enough or sailed broad enough to enjoy flat water because sailing in excess of 35knts (speed) no matter what the water state is NOT boring........its addictive

slowboat
WA, 554 posts
14 Aug 2011 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

Stop feeding pm33. He doesnt sail downwind cos he gets too scared

GalahOnTheBay
NSW, 4188 posts
15 Aug 2011 10:43AM
Thumbs Up

petermac33 said...

Mindset as follows:

SWS
SA, 196 posts
16 Aug 2011 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

jsnfok said...

Production speed board or slalom board, big difference in top speed

The fastest regardless of what it was designed to do. A speed board will most likely be fastest in perfect conditions but then you have to get perfect conditions.

Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
19 Aug 2011 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

Mine. In my dreams.

SWS
SA, 196 posts
19 Aug 2011 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

You will never be if you don't dream you will be!

AUS02
TAS, 1995 posts
20 Aug 2011 8:17AM
Thumbs Up

Time will tell, lets revisit this 01-01-13.

SWS
SA, 196 posts
20 Aug 2011 7:59AM
Thumbs Up

It will be too late then!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"What will be the fastest board and sail in 2012?" started by SWS