Forums > Windsurfing   New South Wales

Canton Beach 17 March 2013 - pictures and a vid?

Created by Mobydisc > 9 months ago, 18 Mar 2013
Mobydisc
NSW, 9029 posts
18 Mar 2013 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

An exciting day of windsurfing was experienced by many yesterday at Canton Beach. With the strong winds and comparatively flat water many personal bests were achieved, close to 15 so far.

Well done to everyone who got out there yesterday, especially those who sailed through the day as the wind got pretty strong later on.

Of course high winds means fast speeds which can lead to accidents. There was one yesterday. Best wishes to those involved.

So onto the pictures:

Anticipation

Milsy and Michael blasting

Larko heading out

Spencer blasting

Michael mid gybe

Pete doing his thing

Byron on his way to about 180 kms

James on the old HiFly and on the way to a few PBs.

Mick sailing along

I took a few more photos so if you windsurfed at Canton Beach yesterday, let me know what you were sailing and I'll see if there are any photos of you.

I took the photos over the day, having a rest from the strong winds. Some video was taken but I have not checked out the footage yet. If its any good and I get motivated I'll try to make up a clip of some of the action.

In all it was a very memorable day of windsurfing and one of the most enjoyable ones I've had, both because of the conditions and the company.

jamesf
NSW, 992 posts
18 Mar 2013 10:26PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for sharing Karl, yep it was a great day!

MattDowse
NSW, 173 posts
18 Mar 2013 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Karl
Great photos!
I wished I could of been out there as well (Family Commitments) may be next time.
What Camera and lens do you use?
I am looking the forecast and Thursday looks OK, will anyone be sailing and where?
Regards
Matt

Mobydisc
NSW, 9029 posts
19 Mar 2013 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

The photos were taken with my Canon SX40HS. Its a compact and has a fixed lens.
Its pretty hard to take decent photos of subjects moving so fast, especially when zooming in.

I checked out the video files and there is some reasonably good video footage of a number of sailors blasting so I'll try to make a film clip to upload to youtube. I already have some original music made so there is no need to worry about nasty emails from youtube about copyright infringement.

WaynoB
NSW, 393 posts
19 Mar 2013 12:13PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Karl,

Nice photos, well done. Did you use a tripod?

Looked like a super day for the speed demons, some great numbers by all. What was the "big stack" all about?

I chose to go wave sailing and got blasted on my 4.7 sail and 80L wave board. Pretty hairy in the afternoon, some gybes were just about impossible in the big gusts!!

byronmc
NSW, 503 posts
23 Mar 2013 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

unreal photos carnt wait to see more. It was a great day sailing with so many friendly windsurfers. A testimate of how good a day it was, is fun number one, and two how many new PBS were smashed.

Mobydisc
NSW, 9029 posts
23 Mar 2013 12:16PM
Thumbs Up

Byron,

if you message me your email address I'll post some photos taken of you on Flickr or Google Drive and send you the link.

A tripod was used to take the photos as generally better results are achieved that way. Its primarily a photography tripod which reflects the way video is shot.

A video clip has been put together of footage of the day. Once its processed and uploaded I'll share the link. Its not of the professional quality of the clips you see coming from WA but at least it shows us how it is over here.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Unfortunately I did not take more photos as I was windsurfing myself during the day and did over 80kms. The photos and video was taken as I was having a rest form the hell strong winds last Sunday.

Mobydisc
NSW, 9029 posts
23 Mar 2013 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

No windsurfing today so I spent a bit of time putting together the music and video for the sailing last Sunday.

If you like the video then why not sign into Youtube and liking it?

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8023 posts
23 Mar 2013 9:20PM
Thumbs Up

Can't be bothered signing into You tube but great job! Good footage!
Wish I'd been able to stay but I would have been really overpowered on my 3.8m + 78ltre board.

fanatic02
NSW, 300 posts
23 Mar 2013 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

Great video Karl !!!!
It shows its not super flat like the deceiving photos !!!!!

Milsy
NSW, 1176 posts
24 Mar 2013 8:34AM
Thumbs Up

great video karl,,, loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!, needs more miller, less spencer[}:)]

Rus13b
NSW, 270 posts
24 Mar 2013 2:07PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for rubbing it in. I new it would be a great day. I was using a 4.2 at
valentine so must have been so sweet down there.
With the video try mounting it out on the water, if its water proof. can get some good shoots, realy low on the water or high using a long pole.
Next time i will get there with my new toys, thats why there is no wind.
The new gear curse strikes again.

Mobydisc
NSW, 9029 posts
24 Mar 2013 11:23PM
Thumbs Up

The camera is not waterproof so it's not going out on the water. It has a 35x optical zoom so it doesn't really need to be that close. However it's difficult to smoothly follow a fast moving object like a windsurfer going over 30 knots.

I'm looking at buying a fluid head for my tripod in the hope of improving video quality. Photography/video is like windsurfing. Gear oriented and quite expensive. You definitely get what you pay for but I'm not spending $1500 on a tripod.

Last Sunday was a fantastic day for windsurfing up and down the coast. I feel privilidged to be involved and am happy I could document it at Canton Beach.

mauiboy
NSW, 52 posts
25 Mar 2013 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

nice video mobydisc.

byronmc
NSW, 503 posts
26 Mar 2013 2:20AM
Thumbs Up

Nice video I loved it it was a great day with so many friendly sailers.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8023 posts
26 Mar 2013 9:53AM
Thumbs Up

byronmc said...

I'm so glad I've found out about Canton. I used to sail all winter on the lake in gusty choppy conditions with generally no one else in sight ( especially mid week). There's always someone to talk to at Canton.

FormulaNova
WA, 14734 posts
26 Mar 2013 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

sboardcrazy said...
byronmc said...

I'm so glad I've found out about Canton. I used to sail all winter on the lake in gusty choppy conditions with generally no one else in sight ( especially mid week). There's always someone to talk to at Canton.

I think the fish and chip shop is more important! Where else can you go for a hamburger and coke and then go sailing again! Mmmm.... health food....

PhilSWR
NSW, 1104 posts
26 Mar 2013 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

Good pics and Video Karl!

I'm all amped now, only 3 weeks til I'm down there :). Hope there's some wind. Keen as to sail the lakes, plus wanna meet some of the local Marauders and crew.

Cheers,

Phil

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8023 posts
26 Mar 2013 3:11PM
Thumbs Up

FormulaNova said...
sboardcrazy said...
byronmc said...

I think the fish and chip shop is more important! Where else can you go for a hamburger and coke and then go sailing again! Mmmm.... health food....

Wheres the shop?

Milsy
NSW, 1176 posts
26 Mar 2013 3:20PM
Thumbs Up

ha, the ol shop, its just up the road a couple hundred metres, its where the newish looking apartments are,, yeah, he was a nice guy, but no business, canton isnt exactly a holiday destination anymore, ha,,,

stevewalsh
NSW, 56 posts
26 Mar 2013 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

I hear seaweed is a delicacy in some areas

FormulaNova
WA, 14734 posts
26 Mar 2013 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

They got rid of the shop? We were their only customers when there was a decent southwester in winter. Everyone else stayed at home.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8023 posts
27 Mar 2013 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

FormulaNova said...
They got rid of the shop? We were their only customers when there was a decent southwester in winter. Everyone else stayed at home.

bummer..

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   New South Wales

"Canton Beach 17 March 2013 - pictures and a vid?" started by Mobydisc