Forums > Windsurfing   New South Wales

Southerly - Botany Bay 7/4/2012

Created by GusTee > 9 months ago, 7 Apr 2012
GusTee
NSW, 262 posts
7 Apr 2012 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

Random shots from today, approx 1pm, when it was pumping. 30kn gusts here and there.

Enjoy!

GusTee
NSW, 262 posts
7 Apr 2012 10:52PM
Thumbs Up

Some more here...I've counted at least 15 sails on the water. Good to see so many out.

CaptainHadoc
NSW, 128 posts
7 Apr 2012 11:23PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks a lot mate for the pic... Looks like being slightly north of everyone else was the right choice, we got nice pictures... :p

We arrive there at 11ish, just to see the south kick in... Seeing all these white caps progressively take over the spot was an amazing sight, after so many months of sh** wind.

shear tip
NSW, 1125 posts
8 Apr 2012 9:58AM
Thumbs Up

Great pics GusTee! It was a cracker of a southerly!

Waiting4wind
NSW, 1871 posts
8 Apr 2012 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

I gotta say that yesterday was a stellar sail. Warm in and out of the water (Its April!) and a great southerly / SE.

I was on my 78L B&J board all day. Started with a 4.7M (which hasn't been out of the bag for years) and then on the 5.8 for the rest of the day.

Bliss- reasonably consistent wind and some nice bumps to keep it interesting, even reminded me of Maui at times.

TheRodder
WA, 319 posts
8 Apr 2012 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

It was great at La Perouse. There were nice 2 to 3 metre high rollers coming in through the heads. I spent over an hour playing in the waves. Wind was more like ESE at the entrance. As usual, I didn't see anyone else sailing.

GusTee
NSW, 262 posts
8 Apr 2012 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

Every one up north near the runway seemed well powered up. We decided to try sailing further south for a change.

We went out to the right of the Georges River Sailing Club. First time there. To my surprise, I was struggling to get going on a 5.4. Went back in got the 6.6, and it still wasn't much joy. There were too many holes in the wind, so full power or off the plane. It was very inconsistent, made it very tough.

Those with local knowledge, is that the norm near the GRSC?

powersloshin
NSW, 1688 posts
8 Apr 2012 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

GusTee said...

Every one up north near the runway seemed well powered up. We decided to try sailing further south for a change.

We went out to the right of the Georges River Sailing Club. First time there. To my surprise, I was struggling to get going on a 5.4. Went back in got the 6.6, and it still wasn't much joy. There were too many holes in the wind, so full power or off the plane. It was very inconsistent, made it very tough.

Those with local knowledge, is that the norm near the GRSC?

I go there often when it is southerly, but yesterday was the worst I ever had. Normally it is pretty bumpy in the middle of the river, but the wind never so inconsistent. Most windurfers tack upwind into Quibray bay, where a sand bank at low tide creates an area of flat water great for jibying and speeding

robhow2
NSW, 56 posts
9 Apr 2012 11:14AM
Thumbs Up

I hope you meant St George Sailing Club which is 1.5km to the SW of Georges River Sailing Club. In SE to SSW winds the land mass of Towra Point makes short board sailing from GRSC really difficult. The lee shore creates massively inconsistent winds in which to sail.
However in front of St George SC you have a few kms of Woolooware Bay that in the main generates a fairly consistent southerly breeze. Most short board sailors leave the Riverside Drive rigging area and sail upwind to the sand spit off Pelican Point to enjoy the flatter water offered. On Saturday many were enjoying the 20 - 28 knots of SSE wind that stayed for several hours from 11.30 on.
Care must be taken in this shallow area to avoid old hidden oyster lease racks, that if stuck can remove ones fin. Do a test run at low speed whilst looking ahead through the hopefully clear water to spot these underwater obstacles.
Quibray Bay is by the way much further to the east and directly adjacent to Silver Beach at Kurnell.

GusTee
NSW, 262 posts
9 Apr 2012 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the tips. I won't persist with GRSC. I'm going to try other spots as suggested, or simply stick to northern part of the bay where majority of the sailors hang out.

Roar
NSW, 471 posts
9 Apr 2012 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

the wind at the airport in a SW is a bit more consistant than down at st george yaght club as it come acroos most of the bay however there is a lot more wind swell as well. most of us who were sailing at the sand bar were using 6.2 slalom / race sails.

look at the tracks we puit up on gps team challenge to see where we sail

www.gpsteamchallenge.com.au/sailor_session/show?date=2012-04-07&team=5

the area on the right is where you sail down the sand bar then gybe in nice flat water. gets a little choppyin the middle section when you go thru the channel but its no where near the chop at the runway.

GusTee
NSW, 262 posts
10 Apr 2012 9:02AM
Thumbs Up

I had a look at the tracks, got a clear idea now. We could just see people sailing there in the distance, always on the plane with a lot of pace. Thanks again.

Powersloshin, were you the one with the red sail and freestyle moves?

powersloshin
NSW, 1688 posts
10 Apr 2012 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

GusTee said...

I had a look at the tracks, got a clear idea now. We could just see people sailing there in the distance, always on the plane with a lot of pace. Thanks again.

Powersloshin, were you the one with the red sail and freestyle moves?

I wish ! I was practicing waterstarts :-) I had a KA5.8 Black,white,red. I got there late, was all over the place.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   New South Wales

"Southerly - Botany Bay 7/4/2012" started by GusTee