Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

110 l or 120 l JP x-cite ride

Created by crawdaddy > 9 months ago, 2 Jun 2010
crawdaddy
11 posts
2 Jun 2010 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

Hi,
I've decided on a new x-cite ride, I'm 82kgs. and my biggest sail is a freeride 7.0m2. I sail in ocean and there's always some chop and usually onshore or side on conditions with anywhere from 1' to 3' chop. I sail in winds from 12 knots to 20 knots with gusts to 23 knots. and want an all around board for these conditions. I'm sold on either the x-cite 110 or 120. Any suggestions, advice, etc would be greatly appreciated, thanks. I'm 54 years old.

mineral1
WA, 4564 posts
2 Jun 2010 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

Sent you PM.
Mineral

crawdaddy
11 posts
3 Jun 2010 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

Hi again,
Some say the jp x-cite 120 feels more like a 105, any thoughts? My "big" board right now is an old Fanatic Shark 125L from the mid 90's and it's ungainly over 20mph. With my weight at 82kgs. and my biggest sail a 7.0 and smallest a 5.5 would I get more use out of the 120 or the 110? I'll be forking out loads of cash for this board which I hope will last me years so wanna make good decision. Experience lots of lulls here with choppy onshore conditions. At over 20mph I have an old Bic tempo from the late 90's I use, so really need a board for 6.0 to 7.0 winds.

mineral1
WA, 4564 posts
3 Jun 2010 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

dantren
QLD, 301 posts
4 Jun 2010 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

I had the 2009 110. It's got plenty of volume for my 80kg. Try & negotiate a custom fin with your purchase - the standard one is junk.

flipper4444
VIC, 1214 posts
6 Jun 2010 4:10AM
Thumbs Up

get a carve or code there heaps better boards

Wood Duck
157 posts
6 Jun 2010 7:10AM
Thumbs Up

flipper4444 said...

Get a life ya flip !!!

flipper4444
VIC, 1214 posts
6 Jun 2010 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

Wood Duck said...

flipper4444 said...

Get a life ya flip !!!

whats ya problem?

jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
6 Jun 2010 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

I'm 95kgs and have a 120 X-cite(awesome) and it is very floaty, I think 110 would be the go for you. If you can, Get the pro-edition....I made a huge mistake this year by getting the FWS version. I had the 2009 pro-edition and replaced it with the 2010 wood and the difference is very noticeable...Is a pro-edition worth the extra $600...yes it is, I'll never make that mistake again. Don't let anyone tell you they are not worth the extra coin. I sail in similar conditions and use a JP FSW 112 Pro and it's much better at handling big chop then the X-cite. If your going to run a 7.0 you will need a bigger fin as well, you can make do with the stock fin but to get the most out of the board a bigger and smaller fin will increase the boards range.

Cheers.

Mobydisc
NSW, 9029 posts
6 Jun 2010 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

Wood Duck said...

flipper4444 said...

Get a life ya flip !!!

Seabreeze said....
What we expect from you:

Do your best to keep it clean, fun and informative.

Be understanding of others - they may be stressed, arrogant, stupid, smart, young, old, right, wrong .. who knows!

Don't take the forums too seriously! Topics often go off the rails when people start reading far too much into others comments.

Keep focused on what's being said and not who's saying it.

Waiting4wind
NSW, 1871 posts
6 Jun 2010 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

82kg and 7.0m then the 110L would be the go. But if you spend more time at the bottom end of the wind range you mention then the the 120L will give you more TOW but a bit more of an exciting ride in the 20K+ range.

crawdaddy
11 posts
7 Jun 2010 4:42AM
Thumbs Up

Hi again,
Thanks for everyone who gave thoughtful comments. They are really appreciated. Nothing worse than forking out 2 grand of hard earned cash and finding out you bought the wrong item. I've decided to go with the 110 not only because my weight still leaves me with a reserve of about 30 kgs. and would be better in chop than the 120 but especially because I prefer windsurfing in more than just planing in 15 or so knots. I usually don't sail unless its at least that so the 110 FWS is for me and not the knee buster Pro edition. A little arthritic in my right knee from a parachute jump accident 30 years ago. Pray for wind!

dantren
QLD, 301 posts
7 Jun 2010 9:31AM
Thumbs Up

Why don't you put the word out & try to get a test ride. Maybe a local shop has an 09 demo? Might help you decide on what volume is best for you.

crawdaddy
11 posts
7 Jun 2010 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

Wish there were a shop or rental I could access locally but,alas, none around these parts. Not enough consistent wind and not enough windsurfers. That's where the forum comes in so handy. You guys have owned and used these boards under real world conditions and have helped me tremendously and with that and my 30 years on and off experience I'm comfortable making a decision based on the info available barring actually sailing on a 110 x-cite which would've been the ideal! Looking forward to receiving it soon. Our summers here in Bahamas are without much wind unless, of course, we're visited by a Tropical Storm or God forbid a Hurricane. Don't mind waiting 'till early October for the winds to freshen. The forecasters are predicting a doozy of a Tropical season this year. It runs from June 1 to November 30. The peak time being August, September.

timford
NSW, 510 posts
7 Jun 2010 2:09PM
Thumbs Up

110 for sure.... did 31.7 knots the other day on the wife's Xcite 110 '07 FWS. find it a great board that can be altered so much by changing the fin to suit.

Ben 555
NSW, 453 posts
7 Jun 2010 3:49PM
Thumbs Up

Tim - can you teach me how to persuade my wife to buy a board for herself

timford
NSW, 510 posts
7 Jun 2010 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

Ben 555 said...

take her to Maui a couple times. that will do it..

Ads72
NSW, 362 posts
7 Jun 2010 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

timford said...

Ben 555 said...

take her to Maui a couple times. that will do it..

Ben & Tim,.......

"Don't take the forums too seriously! Topics often go off the rails when people start reading far too much into others comments.

Keep focused on what's being said and not who's saying it".

crawdaddy
11 posts
8 Jun 2010 7:23AM
Thumbs Up

?????????????

Wineman
NSW, 1412 posts
8 Jun 2010 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

crawdaddy said...

?????????????

Don't worry Crawdaddy - just Sydney boys talking s^it, we haven't had much wind of lately.

I too, have ridden Tim's wife's board (check: yes, expressed that correctly ) & the 110 is a sweet board

Ben 555
NSW, 453 posts
8 Jun 2010 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
[

Ben & Tim,.......

"Keep focused on what's being said and not who's saying it".

Adam - what was being said was -you can have another board in your quiver - I dont care who says it - so long as they can teach me how to do it

BTW - just added Iso 101 so I no longer have to do SR slalom on formula kit

Ads72
NSW, 362 posts
8 Jun 2010 12:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ben 555 said...

[

Ben & Tim,.......

"Keep focused on what's being said and not who's saying it".

Adam - what was being said was -you can have another board in your quiver - I dont care who says it - so long as they can teach me how to do it

BTW - just added Iso 101 so I no longer have to do SR slalom on formula kit

Oh I see,...silly me. r.e. Isonic,....now how the hell are we gunnu keep you in our sights? Nice board. Good stuff

sick_em_rex
NSW, 1600 posts
8 Jun 2010 1:16PM
Thumbs Up

sick_em_rex said...

Wineman said...

crawdaddy said...

?????????????

Don't worry Crawdaddy - just Sydney boys talking s^it, we haven't had much wind of lately.

I too, have ridden Tim's wife's board & is a sweet board

For a minute there I though he meant he'd ridden Tim's wife. Seriously Pete, anyone with dyslexia would be vey suss of your comment. Tims bored wife....
OK, I am going to shutup now

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"110 l or 120 l JP x-cite ride" started by crawdaddy