Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2011 Fanatic Quad 86

Created by CJW > 9 months ago, 7 Dec 2010
CJW
NSW, 1718 posts
7 Dec 2010 9:33PM
Thumbs Up

I noticed there were already a few reviews of the 2011 quad but I thought i'd throw mine up in it's own thread regardless.

The board that this replaces in my collection is a 2007 JP RWW 83L, so it's a fairly direct comparison in terms of 'intended use', IE one that performs well in a wide range of conditions and also a good comparison vs a single fin. The biggest difference I noticed was the tail on the fantic is quite narrow compared to the RWW and it also has very pronounced double concaves, pretty interesting. It's also quite a bit heavier than the RWW (pro-ed), although that is a crazy light board and the reason for its retirement (mast track and board don't like each other it seems).

Since getting the board we've been in somewhat of a wind drought here in NSW, typical! Hence both sessions I have used the board in have been in the 8-12kt range, IE crazy light, but I was desperate haha. Being 72kg I can get away with it and it's part of the reason I bought the 86 rather than the 79 or 72 for example. For my 'day to day' board I prefer to sail a larger board as it gets you out a lot more on the east coast and i'd rather be floating out over the waves rather than through them; I have 75L single for big wind day but to be honest I rarely use it even when it's mega windy.

Session one was down at Gerroa in a 10-12kt NE'r and probably waist high surf. Even in such small surf and light winds the biggest thing I noticed was the drive this thing has through the bottom turn compared to my RWW. You all know that feeling in light winds, commence bottom turn...slowing...slowing....slowing....trying to hit the lip...ah crap all momentum lost. Not so with this thing, it just holds its speed so well, I was quite amazed. It's also very loose on the wave face. Due to the waves being so small it was hard to really get a feel for much else as there just wasn't the speed generated.

Session two, East Corrimal, 8-10kts head high+ surf. Usually in conditions like these on my RWW although you can generate good speed through the bottom turn it is still difficult to hold that speed through the top turn simply as the wind is so light. Again not so in the quad, the thing just hauls arse...can't believe how well it holds that speed in super light conditions. With there being much bigger surf it gave me a chance to test out the top turn shenanigans and all I can say is, yeah boi! So much grip and effortlessly tight arcs, it sails like a WAY smaller board than the volume would indicate .

The other thing I noticed is how it turns when you really get up it on a top turn. It sort of pivots around a point between the mast and the nose, it's acutally quite a weird feeling but I guess it's the combination of rail shape and the fin setup. Normally on a single they pivot around a point between the front and rear footstraps i'd guess, very different. I think this is why they might hold their speed though the top turn so well as you can keep much more weight forward, aiding drive down the face rather than concetrating on getting that fin to bite as on a single, which requires a lot more rear foot pressure. I also had the rear two fins set in the middle of their boxs', I will experiment with fin setup over time.

Anyway like a lot of people I was quite skeptical of all this twin, quad malarkey. I've ridden a 2010 JP 83L twin a few times and to be honest it's not that much different to my RWW, actual board shape is very similar, hence I approached this board with the same cynasism. However I've got to say i'm very surprised at how well it performs, even given my limited exposure to it. I can't wait to get it out in wind I can't actually plane in...looks like tomorrow hopefully. I will update with more feedback then.

Edit: you all know what they look like now so no pics, might take the Gopro out for some action footage though

Gestalt
QLD, 14383 posts
7 Dec 2010 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

to be honest cjw i'd love some pics.

especially the mid, front and rear rails as well as some bottom shape shots and a nice accurate plan shot. seriously.....

swoosh
QLD, 1926 posts
8 Dec 2010 7:24AM
Thumbs Up

i think you need to review that 5.2 SWAT as well

p.s. i'm sailing your quad in wa, hope you realise that.

CJW
NSW, 1718 posts
9 Dec 2010 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Sailed it again yesterday arvo, 23-28kts - 4.7, sweet as Definitely doesn't plane quite as early as the RWW and not as fast on the flat but it's pretty close, loose and fast on the wave and holds speed really well as I expected given it's light wind performance. Stoked with the board!

Swoosh I'll review the SWAT when I get to sail it in planing conditions haha.

Added some pics, apparently you can't add them to the original post after 4 hrs.

Some action shots Forgot to dehydrate my silca gel so the camera housing fogged up after 10min, missed the bigger swell

Gestalt
QLD, 14383 posts
9 Dec 2010 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

cheers for the photos.

exactly what i was keen to see.

CJW
NSW, 1718 posts
9 Dec 2010 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah unfortunately I didn't have a big straight edge I could put along the bottom for the side view but I think you can make out that it's got a lot of rocker :P

Gestalt
QLD, 14383 posts
9 Dec 2010 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

yeah, lots of rocker, i guess that's why the concaves are so deep.

i really like the look of what fanatic does and the lines on your quad look sweet.

p.s. nice photos, i can only ream of doing that stuff...

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2011 Fanatic Quad 86" started by CJW