Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2011 KA Kult & Kaos

Created by Gestalt > 9 months ago, 26 Nov 2010
Gestalt
QLD, 14367 posts
26 Nov 2010 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

very stoked today when my new quiver of KA sails arrived!!!!!

rigged up the 6.4 kult and the 5.3 kaos, have a 5.8 kult in the bag still. grabbed some photos.

as luck would have it today is the no wind day after a week of 15-20 knots.

this years kults & Kaos look excellent. they look like amac and the team have again improved on the shape and the new graphics i love. i've been using KA sails for over 10 years now by choice so i'm a fan

can't wait to get them out on the water. the 6.4 is my 12-18 knot sail and the 5.8 for 15-22 knots on my freestyle board. this year i switched from the 5.3m kult to the 5.3m kaos for a more throw about sail in the smaller sizes.

kults look as powerful as previous years which is why i love them so much. changes this year appear to be more static shaping to the panels, more even twist and the coe is lower and more forward. the boom has been shortened slightly also to improve power feed so i'm keen to find some wind. straight out of the bag the 6.4 rigged on my 430 sdm no problems. battens popped without any issues so on the water rotation should be as good as previous years. pumping felt very nice also, even though there is more static shaping the sail still remained springy.

Kaos was rigged on a 400 rdm unifiber. straight out of the bag rigged without effort. the kaos has less draft than the kult being a pure wave sail. compared to previous years (my 2008) it looks to have a touch more static shape and a slightly different twist. seems a little smoother with the layoff. there seems to have been some refine,ents to the coe in the kaos also. the draft looks just a little bit sweeter.

can't wait to get some wind! will finish off the review once i've tested them out for real.

oh, i forgot to mention.

all ka sails this season have twin eyelets at the boom! excellent addition which increases the wind range of the sails.

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
26 Nov 2010 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

Nice looking sails Gesty

climber
NSW, 1125 posts
27 Nov 2010 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

ohhhh shiny new sails..

On ya gesty. Looks like you may even get a chance to use them today Its windy at Manly

Gestalt
QLD, 14367 posts
28 Nov 2010 12:58AM
Thumbs Up

cheers guys, yep i'm very happy,

took the 6.4 out for a grovel today in very light winds. didn't plane to speak of but had to get it on the water. it's a lot easier to tune than previous years and doesn't need as much outhaul.

felt very well ballanced and a little easier to throw around than previous years. i know it;'s an odd thing to say but it is way more comfortable dredging than previous model i have. the shorter boom makes a difference. i think the heavy wave guys and sup sailors would really like it for light wind waves where you are not always planing.

it feels lighter and felt small for a 6.4

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7965 posts
1 Dec 2010 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

Id love some..I was given a 6.6m Koncept a while ago & it is a very forgiving sail even though cambered.It would be nice to be rich & get some smaller Kults without cambers..

Gestalt
QLD, 14367 posts
1 Dec 2010 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

it would be nice to be given a sail......

i've won a sail before and that felt pretty special.

Gestalt
QLD, 14367 posts
4 Dec 2010 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

i managed to fit in a 3/4 hour session today at wello on the 6.4m, rigged the sail on minimum downhaul so there was just a slight hint of drop in the top head panel. will give it a touch more downhaul next time probably another 1/2cm as i felt i may have under downhauled a little. still had no problems with batten rotation on the very light downhaul.

on the water all of the usual kult power was available. the rig pulled me onto the plane without any issues in the light winds. pumping (when i did) was really comfortable and the power translated into forward momentum instantly. planing the 2011 feels more balanced and responsive than my previous model. the most noticable improvement in the sail is the power feed, which is now very very smooth. the 2011 also feels much lighter in the hands. to me the sails wind range has been improved further, i'm guessing this is to do with the improved twist and shorter boom. off the tops of swells the sail was rock solid allowing me to forget about the rig and just blast!.

gybing the sail was effortless in the rotation, even in the lighter winds when exiting the gybes meant falling off the plane the sail felt balanced and didn't unbalance me.

below is the wind graph from today. i was planing the entire session. i sailed from 10am till 11am. the wind in the graph is 16-18knots from 10 till 10-30 and then drops off to 13-15knots from 10.30 to 11am. the spot i sail is usually a few knots lighter than this graph.

i didn't change rigging at all other than adding a touch more outhaul after my first run. the 6.4m is the biggest sail in my quiver. i weigh around 110kg and my board is 125lt. there's not much more i can say about the 6.4 kult. it's excellent, it's balanced, light on the water, it's power feed is very smooth and it's wind range is superb. excellent lightwind power sail.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2011 KA Kult & Kaos" started by Gestalt