Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2012 82 starboard quad

Created by zacd > 9 months ago, 26 Mar 2012
zacd
VIC, 103 posts
26 Mar 2012 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

I know its late in the season but I figured this board deserved a review.

I've had it pretty much since the beginning of the season I bought it to replace a 86L kode and a 74L nude chopper (both for sale). I weigh somewhere around 75-78kgs.

So first thoughts were this pretty good middle ground between the 2 previous boards, eg not as fast as the kode but quicker than the nude. The extra speed makes it a bit better for jumps than the nude.

It did take a few sails to get used to. I found that I was probably coming up the wave with more speed than I was used to and kept breaking the fins out in the top turn resulting in an uncontrolled crash. Once I got used to this I have actually found it to improve my sailing and really like this quality. Whereas the nude was incredibly easy to turn and put in the right place without losing speed you are never going that quickly in the first place. The starboard goes a little quicker to begin with so you car hit sections with a bit more confidence and make bigger turns. This is only my opinion though

I think this board really excels in bigger waves when its cross to cross off. The board was tested in margeret river and you can definatly tell.

Main worries I had when buying this board was would it be ok for bump and jump in port phillip bay where I think the Kode really was the best board for the job. I dont think it is as good as the Kode and I definatly think a single fin is the best thing for pure jumping and anyone who says any different is just trying to sell you something/following fads. It does a good enough job and the upwind abilities help certainly better than what the nude. But it still needs an extra push and has a bit of draggy feel that all multifins seem to have.

I bought an 82 rather than a 77 because I tend to go wavesailing in light winds often. when the wind is light and there is a proper wave this board is awesome it has heaps of float and planes early. It does a pretty good job when its windy but can be a bit scary when its 4.2 weather and theres a reasonable swell.

Fins - It came with 13 and 11cm fins, which is a fair bit smaller than most other brands and I gave the stock fins a really good try. I did find for my weight the front fins were a little too big unless the swell is big. I now use the original 13cm at the back and 10cm maui ultras at the front. I gave the board to a mate and he chucked his fins in the board I think they were 14cm and 8cm this made the board feel heaps more like my nude twin a much more in control turny feel.

Overall I think its a good mix in all conditions and certainly not just a freeride board that some brands might try and sell as a wave board.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2012 82 starboard quad" started by zacd