Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Ezzy 2012

Created by ikw777 > 9 months ago, 7 Dec 2011
ikw777
QLD, 2995 posts
7 Dec 2011 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

The 2012 Range is now up on the Ezzy site. The new Cheetah looks particularly nice. Apparently an new model Infinity is coming too.

www.ezzy.com/

barn
WA, 2960 posts
8 Dec 2011 8:07AM
Thumbs Up

I think the link is broken because that's the 1992 Ezzy range.

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
8 Dec 2011 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

Ya can't improve on perfection

ikw777
QLD, 2995 posts
8 Dec 2011 11:11AM
Thumbs Up

barn said...

I think the link is broken because that's the 1992 Ezzy range.

Here's a link for you Barn (a good natured dig - that's all)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Pavlov

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
8 Dec 2011 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

nebbian said...

Ya can't improve on perfection

Before changing over to a speed / slalom quiver I had all Ezzy's from Wave SE's to a big Infinity and found them the toughest sails around with good performance. I've still got a 6.9 Wave SE which I now use to double the kids on my brothers SUP in really light conditions and find the sail refreshing to use (i.e. no cambers, easy to rig and feels nice in the hands even for it's largish size)

Ezzy definitely couldn't be accused of being a follower.

Out of interest from an Ezzy 2011 Infinity sail forum:
[Ezzy staff]David used to do extensive testing with cut away clews and found they really compromised performance. He looked at the concept last year one other time and truly found they did not help the performance of the sails. David firmly believes in doing things for purpose, not for marketing! I would not expect to see cut aways from Ezzy.

[forum user response] From my little research of the cut away clew topic I found that what you gain in shorter boom length you loose in shorter laminar air flow.

ducati
QLD, 470 posts
8 Dec 2011 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

Here's a copy of a email David sent in response to a couple of Questions I sent regarding Infinity's on this subject a couple of weeks ago

Is the 2012 likely to have a Clew cutout and what is your opinion of a clew cutout as far as light wind performance goes???

Apart from being able to use a shorter boom, clew cut in's are the goofiest fad I have seen in 30 years. When you cut the clew in, you are effectively adding lower leech roach, which adds twist to the lower leech. You don't want a lot of twist in the lower leech for two reasons:

1) it makes the sail unstable because the lower leech is constantly moving.

2) it makes the sail less efficient in light wind because the lower leech should be closed to better align with the decreased angle of apparent wind felt at the boom.

The clew cut in seems to be quite popular in wide sleeve race sails. My observation is that they are using the cut-in to open the leech and reduce some power that is generated from the deep double surface leading edge.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

David Ezzy

barn
WA, 2960 posts
8 Dec 2011 11:49PM
Thumbs Up

High aspect, long booms.. lolzzy

ejmack
VIC, 1308 posts
9 Dec 2011 8:06AM
Thumbs Up

Wounder what barn will make of these :)

CJW
NSW, 1718 posts
9 Dec 2011 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

^^ Proto 4 batten Ezzy? Looks like they've reduced the rake in the top batten, which I personally always though looked a little ridiculous as with a wave sail you never 'have the gap closed' which is what is required to make the top batten even close to parallel with the water on a wave Panther. Looks interesting though, will watch with intrigue.

I always loved my Ezzy's! I don't think there is a better built, tougher, more stable, huge wind range sail on the market. However, their downside is how they set, particularly if you are into freestyle or want a sail that goes 'dead neutral' because they don't which in freestyle terms makes certain things a lot more difficult. It's the downside you pay for that stability and wind range and for most a totally acceptable trade off.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Ezzy 2012" started by ikw777