27 Aug 2010 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

japs
17 posts
13 Sep 2010 10:38PM
Thumbs Up

Blade 2011
all in Pentex, no more X-ply
sizes from 6.3 to 9.5 will be compatible with SDM and RDM and will come with intenchangeable two lowest cams.

Source: www.facebook.com/

flipper4444
VIC, 1214 posts
14 Sep 2010 1:05AM
Thumbs Up

I had the loflip 05 5.2 and totally hated it. It was the worse sail i have ever brought. It had real crap wind range and was so crap in high wind. Ka are much better sails. Another thing too Loft are the weakest sails on the market, built like paper. I put my knee through mine with hardly any effort at all. They use real thin X ply. And just about every batten pocket ripped on my sail.

shear tip
NSW, 1125 posts
14 Sep 2010 10:08AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Flip, I've done over 5000kms on my O2 7.4 and it's still going strong.

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
14 Sep 2010 11:31AM
Thumbs Up

Dunno what they were like 5 years ago but from what ive seen the last couple of years they would probably be one of the strongest sails on the market.
as for wind range 18-35 with my 5.2.

westozwind
WA, 1393 posts
14 Sep 2010 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

18 to 35 with a 5.2.
You need to take it to the kite forum mate.
Same wild exaggerations go on there too.

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
14 Sep 2010 1:09PM
Thumbs Up

I have held it up to 35, gestalt can vouch for that.
They are actually a very nice sail to use you should try one.

Haggar
QLD, 1664 posts
14 Sep 2010 1:15PM
Thumbs Up

vando said...

Dunno what they were like 5 years ago but from what ive seen the last couple of years they would probably be one of the strongest sails on the market.
as for wind range 18-35 with my 5.2.

Does'nt sound a stretch to me

I've used my 5 m Rapid Fire from 18 knts to 32 knts no worries at all ......... granted on flat water

Ian1
WA, 129 posts
14 Sep 2010 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

flipper4444 said...

I had the loflip 05 5.2 and totally hated it. It was the worse sail i have ever brought. It had real crap wind range and was so crap in high wind. Ka are much better sails. Another thing too Loft are the weakest sails on the market, built like paper. I put my knee through mine with hardly any effort at all. They use real thin X ply. And just about every batten pocket ripped on my sail.

Make ya mind up Flip, Ya naughty boy
flipper4444 said...
I was talking to him about my 08 6.6 Koncept. I told him I really love the sail, but it was not really that strong and had to get my one repaired a few times from putting my knee in to it.

japs
17 posts
14 Sep 2010 11:01PM
Thumbs Up

flipper4444 said...

If Loft sails are known for something and all international magazine tests match, is for HUGE wind range and HUGE durability and the best performance/$ ratio

flipper4444
VIC, 1214 posts
15 Sep 2010 1:39AM
Thumbs Up

I meant the ka wave sails are ten times stronger than the loft wave sails, but with the Ka race sails they would be just as weak as loft.

Crash Landing
NSW, 1173 posts
15 Sep 2010 9:37AM
Thumbs Up

flipper4444 said...

I meant the ka wave sails are ten times stronger than the loft wave sails, but with the Ka race sails they would be just as weak as loft.

If I'm right in saying, the blades are almost 100% x-ply? I've never used them but they look seriously tough.

As for the Lips and your amusing sweeping statements, I don't think you could be further off the mark. Lips are 100% X-Ply, double stitched and my 2009's still look and feel excellent - and they get used in big surf. I have no idea how strong KA sails are as I've never used them, but if they are 10 times stronger than Lips, then they'd also be the strongest sail (by a country mile) available to buy anywhere in the world.

In fact, come to think of it - how did you come up with the figure of "10 times"?

As far as range goes, my Lips are no different to the other sails I have used and I am certainly not changing down a size before people with other sail brands. They are very tuneable.

All I can think is you may have had a bad sail, or rigged it incorrectly and may have used the wrong mast. I will also point out that my first Loft sail was bought in Tarifa in 2001. I wasn't overly happy with the batten pockets which had little tears after three sails (the battens were finished very well between the rod met the usual batten) and went to Montys house where he gave me a full refund. I have since had Lips from 2007, 2008, 2009 and now 2011. Each year they get better and better.

I'll post some pictures of the 2011 Lips which I got to try on Sunday - they look amazing and felt great on the wave.

Crash Landing
NSW, 1173 posts
15 Sep 2010 9:38AM
Thumbs Up

And Flip, stop kneeling on your sails - it's not good for them!

flipper4444
VIC, 1214 posts
15 Sep 2010 3:55PM
Thumbs Up

The loft use a very thin x ply, dont know about the new ones tho, but my one was a 05 one. Me and my brother both sail Ka wavesails and there built tuff as a rock. I did a jump last week and landed totally on my Kaos and it held up fine. My bro has the 010 Kult, and he has had a few bad falls on his sail too, but its held up real well with just a few slight hook marks on his sail. I would say Ka wavesails are allmost as strong as Ezzy sails. But the Ka race sails are weak as paper like Neil pryde

Fellas i have put me knee through stacks of sail, if you want to know what holds up? and what does'nt? let me know i will give you a private list.. I am a heavy guy and love to jump, so i give my sails a hard time. To me if a sail designer cant see that this is the most important thing, that a sail should be built to last, then i will convert to a different brand.

DunkO
NSW, 1143 posts
15 Sep 2010 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

flipper4444 said...

The loft use a very thin x ply, dont know about the new ones tho, but my one was a 05 one. Me and my brother both sail Ka wavesails and there built tuff as a rock. I did a jump last week and landed totally on my Kaos and it held up fine. My bro has the 010 Kult, and he has had a few bad falls on his sail too, but its held up real well with just a few slight hook marks on his sail. I would say Ka wavesails are allmost as strong as Ezzy sails. But the Ka race sails are weak as paper like Neil pryde

Thanks for the input on a 6 year old sail, if i ever were to buy a 6 year old sail i would not have very high expectations of its durability though.

As this topic is regarding 2011 lofts and i have recently purchased a set of lip wave and had my first sail on one last weekend, i will give a thumbs up on what felt like a very nice wave riding sail. As for durability time will tell, but from all the feed back i found before switching to lofts, all commented the strength being vgood (excluding flippers 05 sail off course).

As for KA race sails strength i disagree, i have two 08 Koncepts and they have had there fair share of beatings. Not that a race sail should be built to cop such beatings as they are performance orientated.

flipper4444
VIC, 1214 posts
15 Sep 2010 4:16PM
Thumbs Up

The Loft are good for there value tho. I know Ka are a ripp off now any way, cause all of there sails are over 1000 dollars to buy. The new Loft race sail looks great

dism
NSW, 660 posts
15 Sep 2010 11:51PM
Thumbs Up

Disregard what Flipper says about Loft durability (in post 2005 sails at least).

I am still learning to sail and wavesail and have many stacks (on Crash Landing's previous Loft Lip 2008's) and they are still going very strong.

Landed hard on the x-ply with harness hook and it merely dinted.

As for wind range, try the downhaul and outhaul and use the right mast, you'll have the same sail changes as others or less.

Crash - looking forward to seeing the new 2011's.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Loft Sails Lip Wave 2011" started by japs