Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

PD sl 115

Created by seanhogan > 9 months ago, 2 May 2013
seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
2 May 2013 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

Okay, got my new toy yesterday, my faithful Firerace had totally delaminated...so it was time to reach the next level : carbon !!

First impression : it's very well wrapped (count 10 minutes to unwrap the blessed thing !)

Lucky I had my team mate with me

Fitting the straps : easy

Adjusting them : 5 tacks

Fitting the fin : surprisingly easy considering the incredibly deep hole for the screws !

Was joined by another team member with his 2013 freestyle edition

Getting TO the water : so light to carry !! you already feel like a pro and you're not even on the water yet.

Beach start : considering you drew attention while unwraping on the beach (yes we do have our boards delivered at the beach here ), you know you have a crowd behind watching you, ready to have a good laugh if you fail.... so you wait for the correct gust and off it goes... and without warning it's already starting to plane.

Planing : as mentionned above, it takes off quite fast (same as firerace) but speeds up much more, ie : you better be quick to get your back foot in or you're in trouble when hitting the chop

Speed : conditions weren't that flash, but I could feel the speed ready to be released if only there were a couple of extra knots. Will report on that later on, when conditions are more suitable.

Control : now here's where it's a winner, so smooth over hte chop, so easy to handle and mostly a jibe machine !!
ex : I was getting to duck island (for those in the know...) was a bit crowded to jibe so I opted for a big fat u turn and stop, the PD didn't stop it carved through the curve and started heading back, just like that !! without any unstability or speed loss.... how cool !!

I then headed for the second island (paradise/maitre), to get there you need to cross the channel (big, big chop) didn't even feel it ! no sore knees, so turning away from waves...just perfect !!

It doesn't seem to enjoy too much back foot pressure, mind you I was using my 36 F4 fin with a 7.0m.

Side note, it has those funny inserts under the cut outs, been told you remove them when overpowered, will see !

All in all a very good buy !!! can't wait to use it overpowered to see how far I can take it !!

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
2 May 2013 6:44PM
Thumbs Up

edit : no sore knees, no turning away from waves...just perfect !!

Wineman
NSW, 1412 posts
2 May 2013 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

Nice one Sean!

Your team member has your smile.
Nice when they get involved. Enjoy

Peter

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
3 May 2013 7:11AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Peter,

yes fortunate to have both my kids sailing with me.... Can't wait to the boy pull his first air jibe... (or whatever they call it...)

Check what he already does with his slalom gear....

Waiting4wind
NSW, 1871 posts
3 May 2013 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

seanhogan said...
edit : no sore knees, no turning away from waves...

so is the board even smoother than the RRD, my knees like the sound of that!

Just need to tell Patrick he needs a bit of go fast red on those boards, the B&W looks a bit no frills home brand.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
3 May 2013 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

Much smoother than the RRD, don't get me wrong, I loved my firerace for it's speed and accessibility, but the control and chop handling of this Patrik is so much better !!

And black is the new orange !!! (it will match my future sails ;-) )

Roar
NSW, 471 posts
4 May 2013 12:22PM
Thumbs Up

Waiting4wind said...
seanhogan said...

Just need to tell Patrick he needs a bit of go fast red on those boards, the B&W looks a bit no frills home brand.

Your welcome to give my patrick 115 a run - can usually find me around botany bay when its windy.

I use the 115 with both 7.8 and 6.2 - up to about 25 knots of wind. I was using a 38 fin but changed to a 42 recently which realy improved the ride.
Bigger fin lets you lift the windward edge and fly the fin making the board skim across the top of the chop.

Waiting4wind
NSW, 1871 posts
4 May 2013 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

Roar said...
Waiting4wind said...
seanhogan said...

Your welcome to give my patrick 115 a run - can usually find me around botany bay when its windy.

I use the 115 with both 7.8 and 6.2 - up to about 25 knots of wind. I was using a 38 fin but changed to a 42 recently which realy improved the ride.
Bigger fin lets you lift the windward edge and fly the fin making the board skim across the top of the chop.

Thanks, I'd like to give it a run if the wind decides to happen sometime soon!

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
31 May 2013 2:02PM
Thumbs Up

+

Just got a new PB on the patrik yesterday, big chop, 25 knts with gusts @30
115 L + F4 35 fin (I had to grind it down after hitting the reef) + hot sails gps 6.0
rider : 90....ok.... 93 kg

37.27 knts

happy frenchie !!

Waiting4wind
NSW, 1871 posts
31 May 2013 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

Congrats Sean, great result for a big board. Will definetly have to have a ride on one of those!

Roar
NSW, 471 posts
1 Jun 2013 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

Nice one !

I Tried out the patrik 135 the other day and was impressed at how way the board gets up and goes.
It rides very smooth like the 115 but gets up and going about 5 knots earlier.
Hope to get a ride on the 100 and 90 soon

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
1 Jun 2013 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..

+

Just got a new PB on the patrik yesterday, big chop, 25 knts with gusts @30
115 L + F4 35 fin (I had to grind it down after hitting the reef) + hot sails gps 6.0
rider : 90....ok.... 93 kg

37.27 knts

happy frenchie !!

Nice speeds Sean. new board looks nice

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
1 Jun 2013 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks W4W, Roar & Vando !! I'm really chuffed with it !!

I think they look sweet....

paddymac
WA, 936 posts
1 Jun 2013 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome Sean!

Great review on the board. Have you got any advice for someone 80kgs considering the 110 or 115?

JustinL
NSW, 467 posts
Site Sponsor
1 Jun 2013 11:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
The world cup team use the 115 as the medium wind board
exceptMaciek Rutkowski
<div class="pwasailor-single-sail">Sail#: POL-23

<div class="pwasailor-single-height">Height: 185 cm

<div class="pwasailor-single-weight">Weight: 82 kg

<div class="pwasailor-single-age">Age: 21

<div class="pwasailor-single-nationality">Nationality: Polish

<div class="pwasailor-single-residence">Residence: Poland

<div class="pwasailor-single-debut">Debut: 2003

he uses the 110 as his medium board

Karin Jaggi uses the 115 as her light wind board

All the men and women use the 92Litre as the high wind board.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
2 Jun 2013 9:33AM
Thumbs Up

@Paddy, for your weight the 115 would be a light wind board, I tried the 110 on demo and had issues at getting it to plane quickly.(really must be too fat....)

The PD dealer here is around your weight and uses it (110) all year round with a 6.3 and 7.3.
What I noticed about the 110 was how well it went upwind with no effort.

I guess if I could afford an extra board in my quiver I would go for the 100 or 105, but after all the 115 is so comfy even in strong winds and big chop, why bother...

paddymac
WA, 936 posts
16 Jun 2013 2:53PM
Thumbs Up

Sean, Justin - Christmas came early this year. I bought my first new equipment in many years and have gone Patrik all the way.

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Western-Australia/Im-sorry-2/

Now we just need some wind!!!!

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
16 Jun 2013 5:17PM
Thumbs Up

nice ... very nice !!!! Now I'm jealous !!!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"PD sl 115" started by seanhogan