Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Stone keel quad 115

Created by jsnfok > 9 months ago, 14 May 2012
jsnfok
WA, 899 posts
14 May 2012 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

stone keel quad 115

I called up mark and see if he could make something bigger then my last board, and his answer was sure, ill make you a big keel quad, his new design which he has been trying out...

im 115Kgs, not fat, but fit

well, tried it out the other day, and straight off the beach it was good, very efficient, and glides onto the plane, the supplied fins are fantastic for lighter days, have a smaller set coming for the strong days.

Was out in head to head and half high waves at sewers, easy to get up wind and stay planing, i was worried that the keel quad would affect tight turning because of the tail width, but instead, the board accelerates out of the bottom turn and provides plenty of speed to hit the lip, the harder you pushed and leant into the rail the tighter it would turn, and if you stall the board at the lip on a fat wave; just lean forward and slides back down.

it doesnt take to much effort to turn the board but good heel pressure through the top turns helps to make the board stick. On the wave it feels very controlable, its not as loose as his pintail, but its far easier to judge where your turn will be on the wave....

im absolutely stoked with this board, and found it really efficient and fun, it makes wave sailing that little bit more fun...

and the board looks awesome, i mean who doesnt want a keel quad

Jens
WA, 342 posts
15 May 2012 10:34AM
Thumbs Up

I reckon it is really good that there are so many different designs for wave boards these days. Lot's of interesting shapes to check out. Makes me wonder why singles ruled for so long?

Anyone sailed these keel quads in big waves? I remember the old days of the Starboard Fish. That could just about handle mast high Margies, but only if sail choice was spot on. When it was light and clean they did the job nicely, but if you were only slightly too powered up, bottom turns were really dicy, especially on the main peak!

Cheers, Jens

gooey
NSW, 89 posts
15 May 2012 12:45PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the review. I'm in the que for one a size or two smaller and reviews like this just get me salivating at the prospect of riding one. Really looks the goods.

AJEaster
NSW, 696 posts
15 May 2012 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

JF....that looks smashing! thanks for sharing

jsnfok
WA, 899 posts
15 May 2012 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

still waiting to get out in some bigger waves,

inreply to the feeling a dicey on the bottom turn ill definetly comment on that when ive tried, however i think because of the weight of the board and the width in the tail it should stabslise it, but ill definetly try...

Jens
WA, 342 posts
16 May 2012 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

jsnfok said...

still waiting to get out in some bigger waves,

inreply to the feeling a dicey on the bottom turn ill definetly comment on that when ive tried, however i think because of the weight of the board and the width in the tail it should stabslise it, but ill definetly try...

That'll be good. I'll be really interested to see how it hangs in. It'll probably be fine; after all that fish tail is much deeper than in the old Starboard-maybe that will give it more of a pin to slash into the wave? Also I guess that the quads are going to provide more rail support than the SB thruster arrangement? (On the SB Fish the side fins were really quite small, and the standard size single fin in the middle must have done most of the work?)

roberto
NSW, 190 posts
16 May 2012 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

Looks nice. What size fins are those and what are the smaller ones you are getting?
Thanks
Rob

Reflex Films
WA, 1446 posts
16 May 2012 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

heres one in action- shot in Esperance last summer

some nice lines here for sure

jsnfok
WA, 899 posts
16 May 2012 7:47PM
Thumbs Up

fins are 100, 160mm, the smaller ones are going to a touch smaller but with more flex

wsurfn
85 posts
30 May 2012 10:45AM
Thumbs Up

Super sick looking stick. I would love to try one someday.

What are the dimensions?

jsnfok
WA, 899 posts
31 May 2012 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

wsurfn said...

Super sick looking stick. I would love to try one someday.

What are the dimensions?

Come to aus.

wsurfn
85 posts
1 Jun 2012 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

It would be a dream...everything I see looks amazing. You guys have it good and you rip! I will get there one day.

jsnfok
WA, 899 posts
1 Jun 2012 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

wsurfn said...

It would be a dream...everything I see looks amazing. You guys have it good and you rip! I will get there one day.

wellwe might see you then, we are planning a trip to america, plus the windy wavy parts out to sea on that mysticl island maui

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Stone keel quad 115" started by jsnfok