Forums > Windsurfing Tasmania

A look at Henty today 2/9/13

Created by cookie01 > 9 months ago, 2 Sep 2013
cookie01
TAS, 172 posts
2 Sep 2013 11:37PM
Thumbs Up

Today i went to the Henty for the first time. I picked a day with no wind so i could have a good look around.

The track had been recently slashed up each side, so no scratches to the car.
It was also quite dry and not boggy at all.
I walked in from the sand dune because i was on my own, but i am sure you could drive all the way in.

The first part of the video is from the northern end, the river runs out to the sea part way along the run.
I dont know if it is normally like this or not.
The second part shows the southern end, the wind was northerly so there was a lot of foam at this end.
There was a big swell today as well.

It looked sailable to me, what does anyone else think?

izaak
TAS, 1973 posts
3 Sep 2013 8:27AM
Thumbs Up

Nice one Jeff!! Sounds very sailable to me, It sounds like its back to it first days, when Dave a dad were going. This could bring some fast Speeds!!

Second half looks wrecked (too close to sand dune for wind?)...But where it heads out to sea, that's what we should be looking at. For a NW, when it shapes up better. Looking good!

anthony perkins
TAS, 376 posts
3 Sep 2013 8:30AM
Thumbs Up

good work mate,it looks like two years of fun coming up.

Kazza
TAS, 2342 posts
3 Sep 2013 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

The slashing of the track with no scratches on the car sounds really good to me.

buzzy
TAS, 2433 posts
3 Sep 2013 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

She looks pretty stuffed!! Dave was in there a couple of weeks ago. Be interesting to hear his thoughts.

Steve Charles
QLD, 1239 posts
3 Sep 2013 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

Dave was there last week and he said it looked pretty bad Need Dave to confirm.

izaak
TAS, 1973 posts
3 Sep 2013 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

The thing is....Its looking like, it'll be back to it's early days in going there....Hopefully by early next year, it'll be like early 2007/2008. Making it really only an awesome speed venue. On a more NW direction?

Wont take much for that second half to shut down....And make all that water flow focus on the new cut, out to sea....Reforming a new run.

Kazza
TAS, 2342 posts
4 Sep 2013 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

I'm so keen to go there, I haven't been yet. I can't seem to make the video work so I'm missing out again.

Jezstrt
TAS, 1471 posts
4 Sep 2013 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

Would good to take the sup out there on a day like that

Jezstrt
TAS, 1471 posts
4 Sep 2013 12:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kazza said..
I'm so keen to go there, I haven't been yet. I can't seem to make the video work so I'm missing out again.

Dont worry about Henty Kazza, your focus is the t-shirts haha

Kazza
TAS, 2342 posts
4 Sep 2013 1:17PM
Thumbs Up

That's 2 less tees for you then cheeky young Jezabell! The back Speed Seekers logo's are printed, now for the fronts.

I could play the video on the Vimeo website, nice bit of sludge at the end there, looks as though someone let their septic go The track in looks very easy going, I think I'll have the green light to take the Prado through that

AUS02
TAS, 1992 posts
5 Sep 2013 8:11AM
Thumbs Up

I couldn't see the video for some reason, but I was there last week and the run now stops before where we rig up and heads out to sea in a curved, cut through the beach. As Izaak says, give it some time and it may turn back to a sailable run (perhaps epic run, as Perks says), but at the moment, not sailable. I think it had only just cut through the beach as where the run was still had an edge and lots of weed where the river had gone down in level. That middle photo makes it look like there is a sailable section, but it would be in the lee of the sand-dunes and not a long run even if wind was OK. Maybe need to check again in a few months. You could see the cut was already eating it's way south, which is what we're after.

Jimmy b
TAS, 116 posts
11 Sep 2013 10:07AM
Thumbs Up

Comparing Daves photos to the video, they look different. It is worth mentioning we are dealing with the west coast and water and sand, three variables that can change overnight depending on rainfall and swell. In my opinion when it rains hard the river gains flow momentum and this is when it cuts its straight long speed strip along the beach eventually breaking out 2k down or whatever. But when there is a large swell combined with little rain(flow) the river quickly fills in along the beach and breaks out at a much shorter point because it requires the flow to hold up the banks.

Daves Photos are from a low flow situation and the video to me looked like a high flow, you could see the water was deep enough or the track had been cut however the break out seemed still apparent...

Izaak, Jordan and I are going to go down soon anyway so well see how it pans out.

T 11
TAS, 811 posts
11 Sep 2013 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

JB Not sure you will have the correct visa certification to allow a run at Henty, you being a FNQ rider.

izaak
TAS, 1973 posts
11 Sep 2013 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

Yes he sneaked back into, the Tas team last week!

Kazza
TAS, 2342 posts
12 Sep 2013 10:03AM
Thumbs Up

Did you miss us James?

Stewmckay
TAS, 11 posts
12 Sep 2013 10:51PM
Thumbs Up

This is worth a look for those interested. Follow the link below and type in Henty River and zoom in. Seems to break through and reform every year or so, particularly in the 2000's.
world.time.com/timelapse2/

bazf
TAS, 65 posts
13 Sep 2013 1:18AM
Thumbs Up

Well done Stew. Works well for Stanley too.
Quite an eyeopener watching the channels evolve and shift.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Tasmania

"A look at Henty today 2/9/13" started by cookie01