Forums > Windsurfing Tasmania

Red Bull Storm Chase - Tasmania 2013

Created by Pottssy > 9 months ago, 5 Jul 2013
houston
TAS, 3173 posts
22 Aug 2013 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

Just posted all the pics and videos from the Tassie forum over to all the other states so anyone not watching this site gets to see the action.
Thanks to Ben, Jonno, Izaak, Jordon, Cookie and GavGav for the pics, pretty impressive.

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
23 Aug 2013 5:09PM
Thumbs Up

Houston you would be proud of me I have a new wave board again inspired by the Red Bull

westhammer
WA, 504 posts
23 Aug 2013 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

Fandabbydozytastic,, you Tassie boys must be totally stoked,the whole world of windsurf has been watching,,,now a front like that ain,t everyones cup of tea but beware the invation caus i for one will defiantly wanna one day see for myself what its like round the back of the light tower...Good stuff and for sure these red balls of steel boys have well and truly put you on the map....Did any of the local boys manage to get out!!

FoS
TAS, 1664 posts
24 Aug 2013 8:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TASSIEROCKS said..

Houston you would be proud of me I have a new wave board again inspired by the Red Bull

Are u going to bring the family up to Marrawah for the next session?

Mitch Pearson
QLD, 270 posts
24 Aug 2013 10:19AM
Thumbs Up

Felix spencer got out for a few waves after the comp

houston
TAS, 3173 posts
24 Aug 2013 3:10PM
Thumbs Up

Westhammer the more the merrier though I don't think any of guys have the balls to take on the mighty BOL

T 11
TAS, 811 posts
25 Aug 2013 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

Had a bit more time to look through the pics this is a good sequence. I have found a fair few more what I call good pics if any one wants me to post them.

JohnnyHuett
TAS, 543 posts
25 Aug 2013 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

Hell yea Johnno - there's never too many pics mate. Anyone who says so, been standing in front of the mirror too long ;-)
They are great pics mate.

T 11
TAS, 811 posts
25 Aug 2013 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

Accidentally took 768 pics on day 2 so there should be a couple of reasonable shots poor old motor drive was busy

T 11
TAS, 811 posts
25 Aug 2013 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

The fourth one down in the last lot was a big wave

T 11
TAS, 811 posts
25 Aug 2013 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

Last lot I hope I haven't overdone it

T 11
TAS, 811 posts
25 Aug 2013 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

Good to meet you too Crackerjack just standing to the right of the Redbull flag (Saint Kilda supporter )

FoS
TAS, 1664 posts
25 Aug 2013 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

Great to see all these picks. Especially for those of us who couldnt make it

bazf
TAS, 65 posts
25 Aug 2013 11:28PM
Thumbs Up

These shots are a total blast Johno
They're priceless, especially for those of us who weren't there.
Thanks heaps

houston
TAS, 3173 posts
26 Aug 2013 2:55AM
Thumbs Up

Never too many Jonno theyre as good as any you and Red Bull have posted so far

Sail_Latte
TAS, 114 posts
27 Aug 2013 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

A big thank you to those posting images and videos from an absentee sailer. Pretty wild ocean. Congrats to JPot for convincing Red Bull to come all this way and to Red Bull for supporting extreme sports including ours (well for the somewhat younger, fitter and vastly more skilled anyway) and then to make it a success. It got a couple of minutes on BBC World News in amongst Egypt and the opening of the soccer season so a big plus to Red Bull marketing and great for Tassie. Ant you had better start up a training school at BOL although I suggest the gear hire part might be better left alone given your history on getting your own gear back in one piece?
Over here they have signs everywhere saying Ausfahrt so I comply. The missus says that is not actually what it means. I thought it was great they new about a prime Aus pastime although they know bugger all about cricket. The news on that front has not been good.

Al Planet
TAS, 1546 posts
28 Aug 2013 12:38AM
Thumbs Up

Here are a few photos taken by Chris Flood at Temma

Al Planet
TAS, 1546 posts
28 Aug 2013 7:52AM
Thumbs Up

Kazza
TAS, 2342 posts
28 Aug 2013 10:23AM
Thumbs Up

Sailing in that stuff I definitely would have come out with brown bather bottoms.....infact I don't think I would have come out of it.

CrackerJack
TAS, 160 posts
28 Aug 2013 2:06PM
Thumbs Up

Have held off posting as I most likely would have embarressed mysef with over the top comments. However, nearly two weeks later, and seeing all the latest photos, I just have to add it was the most amazing experience to see these guys in action - especially day 2. Nice to meet you to Johno and the other northern crew, and may I say your wife has a bloody good camera - great photos. And yes being a St kilda supporter is tough, but I suspect not as tough as one other team at the moment

AUS02
TAS, 1992 posts
29 Aug 2013 5:31AM
Thumbs Up

What an event and what great coverage. WOW!! I was stuck overseas for work while it was on, but was great to be able to follow a lot of the action on-line. Wish I could have been up there to see it live though. Fantastic photos from the guys who were there!

Pottssy
QLD, 136 posts
29 Aug 2013 4:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
houston said..

In 2006 Johnny Pott arrived in Marrawah, loved it so much decided to live there. Wasn't long before he discovered BOL which was a world class reef on our doorstop that we never even knew was there.

Eight years later his passion and love for BOL all came together and he pulled off one of the most epic wave events the world has ever seen.

Well that's all that needs to be said.

JOHNNY YOU ARE THE LEGEND !!!!!!!

Thanks Anthony for those words mate - but I want to also say thanks to you guys from the beginning. When we first decided to chase conditions instead of a fixed date - Ant, Kaleb, Simon and Nick, have always been there when we called it - no excuses. You guys are the legends because we met at BOL by ourselves freezing and went hard out their in the water. It was pure and true - I know you guys loved this event as much as I did. BOL spoke louder than we ever could about why we love this place.

A massive thanks to Stefan Froelich - PWA jetski team was at the January Nomadic (2008 the good one) - he is largely responsible for pumping Tasmania to RBSC.

Thanks to everyone who helped out with the event - without you guys this would not have happened. Thanks to Red Bull off course but mainly to the crew at BSP media. Thanks to Tappo for filming during all the nomadics and helping again with this. Thanks to all the locals as well as - Stephen Gardiner and Lachy McDermott, Felix and Mitch. (you guys are going to step up and showcase BOL now right?!!)

Finally - what should be said. Credit must be given all the people who have ran events in Marrawah from the begging. These guys are all part of today and the future. I am talking about the people who did the organising, insurance, sponsorship, permits, the format, etc. All the Australian Titles organisers form the past. Smackfest with Quentine Bye, Hudson Godfrey Smith with the 2008 and 2009 Australian Titles and Nomadic. Its all part of it..... Thankyou for all getting up and making it happen.

Where to go now?
Someone blow up that f#*king bombie at the end of BOL!!!! Its great at 7m and above swell but such a bastard the rest of the time!!!
Seriously though - Parks are an issue with this place. I am going through it with some people to see what can be resolved. We need to pressure them to stop being so precious about the tracks, or at least improve them.

For future comps - I think this format is the only way to hold wavesailing events and the footage shows this. If you guys want help to organise future events in this format - let me know. My work is here in WA - the more I build business the more I stay here. Lets see what the future brings.

Thanks everyone again!!!!!!

houston
TAS, 3173 posts
6 Sep 2013 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

CRISIS AS TASMANIAN DEVILS CONSUMPTION OF RED BULL FLYS OFF THE RADAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As the Red Bull Storm Chaser hits the headlines internationally a team of muli-talented extreme athletes lead by a cracking National Parks Ranger heads to the west coast to determine what effect the Storm Chaser has had on the native flora and fauna.........................
On 1st assessment they find a cache of empty cans ............................ as they delve deeper they realise it's not the trusty Red Bull helpers that have deviously consumed the liquid but something far more sinister ....................

Get the full story:

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Tasmania

"Red Bull Storm Chase - Tasmania 2013" started by Pottssy