Forums > Windsurfing Victoria

Point Henry - 22nd/23rd August

Created by CROWEMAN > 9 months ago, 9 Aug 2009
Monty
VIC, 36 posts
24 Aug 2009 9:33AM
Thumbs Up

Pat and Pete consider their options in the lolly shop.

OceanBlue64
VIC, 980 posts
24 Aug 2009 10:01AM
Thumbs Up

drift said...

Hi everyone,
I have chucked together a quick highlights for the day.It's 10.50 pm Sunday and the file will be available for viewing in another half an hour or so....

Enjoy!
Mick

UPDATE>>>video is now loaded and accessable!

Still coming up Private

Old Salty
VIC, 1271 posts
24 Aug 2009 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

Well everyone has forgotten the highlight of the day. The handing over of the "Sacred Sand". The Elders of the ancient tribe - Inverloch Windsurfing Club - in the time honoured sacred ceremony passed over the sacred container of Kmart filled with Inverloch sacred sand. It was then cast over the fine beaches of Point Henry with a blessing of strongs consistant winds to be blessed on this location. In return the Geelong Tribe did a virgin sacrifice of sausage and muffin thanking us for our blessing.
It was great to see Steve and Cara - (not Karry as described by Steve) pushing the limits and going out in conditions that where on the edge for them and not only staying out there but mastering them on boards that where way to big - 160 - 180 ltr I think.
Lots of smiles and helpful hints flying around, my guess 15 - 20 people over the day.
Mick and Pat - thanks for taking time off the water to capture a few shots and Cobby as well.
Steve I agree with you, Evan is definitely on report and is summoned to the tribunal for a hearing. His efforts where disgraceful. Not getting wet, taking all three boards out 133 ltr, 111 and 80 ltr and stepping out of the water onto the sand with only his feet wet. Where is the fun in that.
Windy kid - Just keep asking questions and keep jumping back on the bike.
Carry and Wendy - for taking the time out before heading off on a 3 month adventure a special medal goes to you for commitment.
To me, others say the damage to my nose was from the boom after I attempted the triple forward loop but I believe that it was Evan throwing the leopard skin handbag with a brick in it after he zoom past.
I had a brillant day enjoying the long runs that we do not get at Inverloch and am starting to master the move from the 144 ltr barge to the 105 missile. Feet position and trim has played a major part in it along with a very old article from a WINDSURF MAG - thanks Easty.
To many names to mention to thank from the Geelong crew on making the day a success but a big pat on the back to Red and Pat for their warm welcome. Red your analogy of OB and the little terrier dog is perfect

drift
VIC, 737 posts
24 Aug 2009 12:27PM
Thumbs Up

Allrighty....I know you're all itching to view it so maybe NOW the vid is ready to be viewed....I'd like to blame the technology but this one was purely operator error!

ejmack
VIC, 1308 posts
24 Aug 2009 12:39PM
Thumbs Up

well worth the wait.......... awesome vid. Mick.

Old Salty
VIC, 1271 posts
24 Aug 2009 12:39PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Drift

Great stuff, the music track goes well with it and professional editing - you might want to consider it as a profession. The shots off the boom with Evan look fantastic and we have proof he got wet!

drift
VIC, 737 posts
24 Aug 2009 1:10PM
Thumbs Up

I particularly like Old Salty's body drag and the next shot of Crowie shooting past- pure poetry in motion!!!

Old Salty
VIC, 1271 posts
24 Aug 2009 3:40PM
Thumbs Up

Body drag! - you are so kind

Monty
VIC, 36 posts
24 Aug 2009 3:45PM
Thumbs Up

Nice vid Drift. I am sorry that I was on shore knocking back a sausage n muffin n having a chin wag during the filming and not on the water with the other stars of the movie. Sorry about the ding on the nose Salty, we forgot to warn you that Pt h does demand its blood sacrifice from time to time. But small price to pay - no one went home with a foot full of urchin spines or stingray lacerations around the ankles. Great day guys. Cheers Geoff

ejmack
VIC, 1308 posts
24 Aug 2009 4:53PM
Thumbs Up

Old Salty said...

Body drag! - you are so kind

It was good to see you doing well on the F2 Doug! I know you've had a few frustrating sessions on it but it sure did look like your persistence is starting to pay off. Would be good to get a few good days down at Sandy Point!

drift
VIC, 737 posts
24 Aug 2009 5:21PM
Thumbs Up

Aside from the super freaky locals (ie Red and OB) who were 30knots plus, has anyone else checked their GPS yet???

newjibe
VIC, 5 posts
24 Aug 2009 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys, thanks for an awesome day on Sunday Great winds, Great crew, heaps of fun had by one and all. So good to see everyone braving the gales. Thanks for the hot tips on jibing from Red and Adam I will get there in the end!!!!
Drift, Great vid, love the boom shots, Where's the one with Old saltys nose on it????

CROWEMAN
VIC, 268 posts
24 Aug 2009 6:07PM
Thumbs Up

drift said...

Allrighty....I know you're all itching to view it so maybe NOW the vid is ready to be viewed....I'd like to blame the technology but this one was purely operator error!

any chance of loading it onto YouTube. Having probs with Vimeo up here in Qld with wireless.

drift
VIC, 737 posts
24 Aug 2009 6:25PM
Thumbs Up

CROWEMAN said...

any chance of loading it onto YouTube. Having probs with Vimeo up here in Qld with wireless.

Just for you Crowie-

Enjoy!

OceanBlue64
VIC, 980 posts
24 Aug 2009 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Just a few photos from Sunday.

CROWEMAN
VIC, 268 posts
24 Aug 2009 11:29PM
Thumbs Up

drift said...

CROWEMAN said...

Just for you Crowie-

Enjoy!

Superb Mick. Loved the birdsong at the beginning...SFX or was it something you caught and keep chained up in your yard?

ejmack
VIC, 1308 posts
25 Aug 2009 3:07PM
Thumbs Up

drift said...

Aside from the super freaky locals (ie Red and OB) who were 30knots plus, has anyone else checked their GPS yet???

Managed a 26.61 in the afternoon.....seemed fast at the time

Old Salty
VIC, 1271 posts
25 Aug 2009 3:44PM
Thumbs Up

I got a 22 on the F2 without putting the foot down and committing to the back strap. I need bigger cohunnas to commit. 22 on the small board seems a heck of a lot faster than 26 on the barge.

OceanBlue64
VIC, 980 posts
25 Aug 2009 3:54PM
Thumbs Up

Well I managed a distance of 49.44 km before I was too tired and sore to go any further. Its always interesting to look at the tracks to see just how deep you bear away on a gust.

Dartboy
VIC, 172 posts
25 Aug 2009 4:23PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All ,

Really interesting those tracking maps .
What do you all use to do this . I assume some sort of GPS speed .
Whats a good one to get ?

Cheers and looking forward to joining you on the water or in the carpark ;-).

Ant .

ejmack
VIC, 1308 posts
25 Aug 2009 5:32PM
Thumbs Up

Dartboy - I use Realspeed to open the GPS file and check my speeds. From there you can then export as a GPX file. Then just open in Google Earth and away you go. I'm no expert though and just started playing with the GPS stuff, so there may (most likely) be an easier method.

Ob64 - Interesting.... I see what you mean looking at yours compared to mine, and I thought I was bearing away quite a bit. Having trouble getting past the 27kts so maybe that's part of my problem? Cheers for posting your track data.

Doug - I was thinking the opposite, 26 knots on the 86 seems slower than on the 111.

OceanBlue64
VIC, 980 posts
25 Aug 2009 6:09PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Dartboy

I use a Locosys GT-11 gps which generates the gpx files used by google earth. The current model of GPS is the GT-31. It too generates these files.
Even though they say they are 'waterproof', most people put them in a waterproof pouch strapped to their arm.

OceanBlue64
VIC, 980 posts
25 Aug 2009 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

ejmack said...

Ob64 - Interesting.... I see what you mean looking at yours compared to mine, and I thought I was bearing away quite a bit. Having trouble getting past the 27kts so maybe that's part of my problem? Cheers for posting your track data.

Yeah I think that is what was stopping me from getting to the 30 for so long. When I finally listened to Red and went real deep, the speeds increased.

kato
VIC, 3398 posts
25 Aug 2009 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Now that you,ve all had fun in the west and got your 30,s. Who,s keen to join us at the Pit for "Speed Fortnight" and turn that 30 into a 35. This is not a Comp,its just a gathering of like minded souls who like to sail.Beginners,Intermediate and even Old Salty are all welcome. Lots of people for advice and help. I,m hopping to run a few night sails if the conditions are good and I will have 2 speedboards for people to use if their keen. The,re old so don,t worry if you dint them. So who,s up for it....Even,Salty

red
VIC, 738 posts
25 Aug 2009 7:18PM
Thumbs Up

Good fun day - as for speeds - if its flat or you've got big goolies go broad! but sometimes line up the troughs and try to pick up a smooth line..

wantmorewind
VIC, 115 posts
25 Aug 2009 8:50PM
Thumbs Up

kato said...

Now that you,ve all had fun in the west and got your 30,s. Who,s keen to join us at the Pit for "Speed Fortnight" and turn that 30 into a 35. This is not a Comp,its just a gathering of like minded souls who like to sail.Beginners,Intermediate and even Old Salty are all welcome. Lots of people for advice and help. I,m hopping to run a few night sails if the conditions are good and I will have 2 speedboards for people to use if their keen. The,re old so don,t worry if you dint them. So who,s up for it....Even,Salty

Can't wait to get down there and have a chop at 35 when does the speed fortnight kick off

red
VIC, 738 posts
25 Aug 2009 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Jacques - thinking about checking out the river in the late morning, you keen?

wantmorewind
VIC, 115 posts
25 Aug 2009 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

Always keen you know that..... SMS me in the morning let me know what time, i'll see what's going on at work, pretty hard with this weather at the moment

kato
VIC, 3398 posts
25 Aug 2009 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

wantmorewind said...

kato said...

Can't wait to get down there and have a chop at 35 when does the speed fortnight kick off

26 Sept to 11 Oct

wantmorewind
VIC, 115 posts
25 Aug 2009 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

kato said...

wantmorewind said...

kato said...

26 Sept to 11 Oct

Sounds good see you there, weather pending

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Victoria

"Point Henry - 22nd/23rd August" started by CROWEMAN