Forums > Windsurfing Victoria

Port Phillip Downwinder 2013

Created by jermaldan > 9 months ago, 3 Oct 2013
Bondalucci
QLD, 1579 posts
9 Oct 2013 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

Bonbeach to Ricketts, around a yellow post and back would be a good group session.

pluses include:
- starts and finishes at same spot (way easier for logistics)
- squarer to the wind in a SW
- sail both tacks equally
- similar distance (20 km) as the Breakwater to Beacon, but closer to land all the way
- get blown into shore if something goes wrong
- more likely that the 1 sail size will be correct for the whole duration
- more social, as people go back past one another, so we get to see the speed guys doing their stuff
- I'm sure someone could trailer a BBQ and have a cook up and quiet ale afterwards

8/8

Makes good sense to me!!

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
10 Oct 2013 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bondalucci said..

Bonbeach to Ricketts, around a yellow post and back would be a good group session.

pluses include:
- similar distance (20 km) as the Breakwater to Beacon, but closer to land all the way
- more social, as people go back past one another, so we get to see the speed guys doing their stuff
- I'm sure someone could trailer a BBQ and have a cook up and quiet ale afterwards

8/8

Makes good sense to me!!

Good Practice, but its not really a downwinder. Its its own event. You should organise it!

Bondalucci
QLD, 1579 posts
10 Oct 2013 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

Don't feel the need to.
It was just a suggestion if you wanted to make yours safer and simpler based on advice from Kato.

WIndsurfVic
VIC, 55 posts
10 Oct 2013 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kato said..

I still don't get why you wouldn't go through WV and do it safely with some form of organised back up and insurance

Windsurfing Victoria will not be running or organisinsing this attempt or event. The length of the proposed trip and the short time frame to organise all the required support craft, permits, etc; make it impossible for WV to be involved at all.

WIndsurfVic
VIC, 55 posts
10 Oct 2013 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bondalucci said..

pluses include:

8/8

Makes good sense to me!!

Stay tune for something similar to this.

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
11 Oct 2013 2:29PM
Thumbs Up

New Webpage is up. Has more info and registration form:

jerzyfilatow.wixsite.com/home

mathew
QLD, 2045 posts
11 Oct 2013 2:09PM
Thumbs Up

J, the form says 36 km's... even if you had a perfect wind angle (SW), you are still well over 40kms.

In a seabreeze (southerly), you are more likely going to sailing in excess of 60kms (sine 30 deg); given that most people have really trouble sailng downwind at 120 deg, the final distance will be longer still.

You might want to update your info to reflect this.

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
11 Oct 2013 3:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mathew said..

J, the form says 36 km's... even if you had a perfect wind angle (SW), you are still well over 40kms.

In a seabreeze (southerly), you are more likely going to sailing in excess of 60kms (sine 30 deg); given that most people have really trouble sailng downwind at 120 deg, the final distance will be longer still.

You might want to update your info to reflect this.

Different people will take different angles and routes.

I have plotted a number of different routes, (5 -7 gybes) and it didn't come to anything near 60 (48km's).

Can you draw the route on a screenshot in paint or something on a map that you are proposing in a SW, and I will plot it for the distance?

kato
VIC, 3399 posts
12 Oct 2013 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

Here you go Jez,

This is the best and shortest run that you could without going to dream land and stating that you can run 45deg off the wind. All these maps are for a SW wind, if the wind goes to a WSW the run would be shorter in distance but the legs would be longer on the one tack and SSW even worse.

The total is 52 km with the longest being 30km and 30 deg off the wind. Hope your Right leg is fit.

This one is more real world, a bit squarer to the wind with short off the wind runs back into the swell for control. The longest run is 14km and total distance is 78 km. Your right leg is still going to hurt.

Different people will take different routes but the physics and the swell remain the same.
Matt and I tried to stay together on the Lake George distance trip but we found it very hard, found the same running swell lines with others at the Pit.
Do a short run to Rickets (12km on a SW) and back or do some long runs from Rye to Safety Beach (16km on a NW) which I have done and is great fun and safe and you can extend it to Mornington 25km

Please do a trial run with a small number of fit people with a support boat that if it all goes pear shaped will not attract the attention of media, authorities and make our life so much harder to run organized events. Yes be a rebel and do something amazing but don't do it stupidly without careful thought for everyone else.

Shark Slayer
VIC, 56 posts
13 Oct 2013 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

I don't recommend doing this with a large group without a support boat as at least 1 person will get into trouble ! I also suggest carrying hand held smoke flares . Anyone wanting to test their endurance , try rigging up in the backyard in light wind & see how long you can hang on for .

mr love
VIC, 2352 posts
13 Oct 2013 3:52PM
Thumbs Up

Gents, seems to be quite a few concerns over this proposed event, I for one think the idea of a downwinder is a great but frankly I think the distance is going to prove too challenging. Sailing downwind on the Bay in a SW seabreeze is difficult, you cannot relax, constantly looking at the wave in front of you to keep the nose out and the back foot will load up big time. Fatigue is going to set in early and you are going to expect at least one over the front if there is a decent breeze.
I think you need to look at an amended distance, Bonbeach to Green Point??? Hampton LSC or Sandy (where the B to B starts) to St Kilda might be more appropriate.
My 2c

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
13 Oct 2013 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

Guys, I'm hearing you, and will be looking into the options. Thanks Kato for the route mappings.

As it stands there is probably only a handful of people that are capable enough to make the full trip from Bonbeach.

I will be trying to arrange a trial run. If you think you are up to it, please PM me.

I'll be using Live GPS tracking to monitor the progress of the trial runl sailors from land.

If there is anyone that can lend a UHF radio that would be appreciated.

ginger pom
VIC, 1746 posts
15 Oct 2013 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

This is all great. I think it illustrates that we have a lot of interest in some sort of event. I'm confused about whether people want to do a downwinder because they want to race but would rather not have to gybe in the race or because they like going long distances...

For my two cents, I like the idea of some sort of comp but I don't want to buy all the nerdy kit.

A short course race set close to the beach with an emphasis on gybing and a ban on fins longer than 30cm and sails bigger than 6m. Three gybes (one in the shallows) with a beach start and a beach finish.

Race to be run in ugly conditions when there are no swimmers......

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
15 Oct 2013 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ginger pom said..

This is all great. I think it illustrates that we have a lot of interest in some sort of event. I'm confused about whether people want to do a downwinder because they want to race but would rather not have to gybe in the race or because they like going long distances...

For my two cents, I like the idea of some sort of comp but I don't want to buy all the nerdy kit.

A short course race set close to the beach with an emphasis on gybing and a ban on fins longer than 30cm and sails bigger than 6m. Three gybes (one in the shallows) with a beach start and a beach finish.

Race to be run in ugly conditions when there are no swimmers......

Again, this is a different event. Great Idea, but completely separate event.

This is a point to point, nothing else.

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
15 Oct 2013 12:59PM
Thumbs Up

Just for the record... its been nearly 12 months since a topic on the Vic Forum has had this much traffic.

The last time there has been over 1500 hits was this:

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Victoria/Downwinder/

Windsurf0709
VIC, 136 posts
15 Oct 2013 4:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jermaldan said..

Touche

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
15 Oct 2013 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

mr love
VIC, 2352 posts
15 Oct 2013 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

See, it only takes 2 minutes and 3 seconds, whats everybody worried about?

ginger pom
VIC, 1746 posts
16 Oct 2013 9:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jermaldan said..

Apart from king of the bay that got 3500...

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
16 Oct 2013 10:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ginger pom said..

jermaldan said..

Apart from king of the bay that got 3500...

Don't bore me with facts. ;)

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
24 Oct 2013 1:13PM
Thumbs Up

Just in case anyone was wondering if this is still happening... it is!

Currently we are securing primary event sponsorship, and investigating the safety requirements and agreeing a risk management strategy.

We have also had in principal agreement that if we can lock down the event safety aspects ,we will then be able to run as a formal WV event.

A small steering committee has been assembled to work on this.

We have a technology support from "FollowMee", a GPS app developer has agreed to provide tracking for the event. Users will be able to download their free version and once they register with the Port Phillip Downwinder account (which will be provided later) it will upgrade to the DELUX version. Live event tracking will be published here: jerzyfilatow.wixsite.com/home

More details on the app can be found on their site: www.followmee.com. The app works on just about all versions of smartphone OS (Blackberry, iOS, Windows, Android, Kindle etc...)

It will allow us to track your location on the day of the event within a minute of your last location.

If you don't currently have a waterproof pouch for your smartphone, here is the best deal I have found ($12.50):

www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Camping-Gear/Dry-Camera-Pouch#90029336

More info to follow shortly.

Retzy
VIC, 130 posts
29 Oct 2013 1:06AM
Thumbs Up

www.epirbhire.com.au/

Insist on them - these guys might do you a deal.

SpaceCoyote
VIC, 147 posts
29 Oct 2013 8:47AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Guys,

We did a kitesurfing downwinder from Rosebud to Port Melbourne last year and there is one being organised for early next year as well. See www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/Victoria/Full-Crossing-and-Half-Crossing-update/

Perhaps speak to Cesar and Peter (the organisers) and share the knowledge. We had support boats, epirbs, support of coast guard and water police. I'm sure a lot of safety and organisational aspects would apply to both events.

Cheers

red
VIC, 738 posts
29 Oct 2013 11:04AM
Thumbs Up

In the late 80's , the Geelong windsurfers used to race the local catamaran club from point henry to point richards - 18 km. I remember doing this on one tack and bloody hell that was hard work ( and thats when i was young and fit!) I think that you might be biting off a little more than you can chew... Maybe a smaller distance to start off with?

latedropeddy
VIC, 417 posts
29 Oct 2013 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

I reckon you want a course that will avoid having to cross the shipping channel. Big ships wont see you and will not stop. I sail mainly out of williamstown, in a S-SW'er we run out the channel and beyond, it is not the best place to get into trouble (rocks, breakwalls, bogan fishos). If the snapper are on you may also get a fair few fisho's out there up to 20kts all along the channel and to Pt Gellibrand.
Awesome idea though!

mathew
QLD, 2045 posts
6 Nov 2013 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

Retzy said..

www.epirbhire.com.au/

Insist on them - these guys might do you a deal.

There are a few problems with EPIRB's... this device is what diver's now use -> basically an EPIRB on steroids:

nautiluslifeline.com/

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
13 Dec 2013 10:35AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys,

The Downwinder dates are shifting to the other side of the new year. Most part on account of the planning and logistics involved make it hard to have everything prepared in time.

Please look to book in an early FEB date.

We are not far off putting out a major update to the event format and details.

PortPhillipDW
VIC, 58 posts
3 Jan 2014 9:35AM
Thumbs Up

Antler Australia has come onboard as the sail sponsor for the Downwinder. Antler will be providing 20cm x 50cm numbered vinyl cut sail stickers for the event, as well as waterproof smartphone pouches, so no worries if you haven't got one!

Here is a design mock up of the sail sticker:

PortPhillipDW
VIC, 58 posts
18 Jan 2014 12:19AM
Thumbs Up

The sail stickers and numbers are ready

PortPhillipDW
VIC, 58 posts
21 Jan 2014 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

Waterproof phone pouches have arrived...

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Victoria

"Port Phillip Downwinder 2013" started by jermaldan