Forums > Windsurfing Victoria

SHQ Breakwater to Beacon & Learn to Windsurf 15/01

Created by WindRider > 9 months ago, 9 Jan 2012
K Dog
VIC, 1847 posts
16 Jan 2012 11:54AM
Thumbs Up

Good job Evan - pretty decent distance! I stacked around the buoy and tried to quickly water start as soon as a I could.... probably quite funny for the dudes in the boat to watch...

Sorry to hear about the breakin Steve. So two peoples cars got broken into and stuff stolen..... that stuff sh/ts me.... people who steal from others should be shot in the head...makes you want to hide in the bushs and wait for ferals with a bat and beat the cr@p out of em..... most likely out of town ferals coming down to their usual spots to steal....

WindRider
QLD, 835 posts
16 Jan 2012 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

steveBayside said...

Getting my carlock screwdrivered and my wallet, keys and phone stolen from the Sandy beach carpark sort of took the shine off the day for me.

I think they deliberately targeted a windsurfing car guessing my stuff would be in it, so watch out... (and they didn't even have the decency to take the car!)

After that I didn't even get out sailing.

It looked good though!

That sucks dude. I was wondering where you went.
I assume you contacted the police. Two break ins one day is bad. Where did you park?

matcoburn
VIC, 203 posts
16 Jan 2012 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

commiserations. Good to stake out the car parks and catch the low life.

baywavebill
VIC, 266 posts
16 Jan 2012 6:07PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry to see you were robbed too Steve. Hope they didn't get my sunnies you were looking after for me
Maybe we can get a better deal if we buy 2 new phones together. Didn't you leave another phone in England when on hols???

steveBayside said...

Getting my carlock screwdrivered and my wallet, keys and phone stolen from the Sandy beach carpark sort of took the shine off the day for me.

I think they deliberately targeted a windsurfing car guessing my stuff would be in it, so watch out... (and they didn't even have the decency to take the car!)

After that I didn't even get out sailing.

It looked good though!

kweir
VIC, 1 posts
16 Jan 2012 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys, My Phone and Wallet was taken on the 13th Jan from SHQ cafe carpark!! They are targeting windsurfers...
K-Time

Windsurf0709
VIC, 136 posts
16 Jan 2012 10:06PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like the local police should be informed about all these incidents. Wonder if there is any video surveillance down there (at the cafe or yacht club)?

jakranz
VIC, 126 posts
16 Jan 2012 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

That sucks big time Steve, you didn't even get to sail my 6.6m Koncept in the race. I thought the car locks are quite safe. May be not a good idea to let them dangling on the tow bar next time. Have to think about a new spot to hook them up.

iwindsurf
VIC, 44 posts
17 Jan 2012 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

Photos of the day.
After trying 4 times to get some photos of the day posted here, I had to put them up on WV's facebook page.
www.facebook.com/

K Dog
VIC, 1847 posts
17 Jan 2012 10:44AM
Thumbs Up

Got a couple from the GoPro...

ejmack
VIC, 1308 posts
17 Jan 2012 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

Great shots K Dog. GoPro takes decent stills eh. Is that the Jman I see blasting past you too the finish line!

K Dog
VIC, 1847 posts
17 Jan 2012 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

ejmack said...

Great shots K Dog. GoPro takes decent stills eh. Is that the Jman I see blasting past you too the finish line!

Lol - I believe so - and he did fly past

Snaps taken from video screen grabs. Quality is pretty good, but I just cut them down in res for seabreeze.

WindRider
QLD, 835 posts
17 Jan 2012 9:59AM
Thumbs Up

Thats me to the left of Kurt at the start. The GoPro did hit me when heading out from the beach.

K Dog
VIC, 1847 posts
17 Jan 2012 2:27PM
Thumbs Up

WindRider said...

Thats me to the left of Kurt at the start. The GoPro did hit me when heading out from the beach.

Just keeping it real!

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
18 Jan 2012 10:35AM
Thumbs Up

Learnt my lesson on the day when taking out the RS1 "always check your gear". Whilst on the way out the mast base unclupped from the base sending me into a backflip and twisting my right wrist. Managed to get the base back in with the help of the guy on Jet ski support, but it ended up futile as once I tried to uphaul or hold onto the boom my hand couldnt hold on or grip. Got rescued in the end by some onlookers.

Wrist is getting better, but ego still bruised.

ejmack
VIC, 1308 posts
18 Jan 2012 11:43AM
Thumbs Up

jermaldan said...

Learnt my lesson on the day when taking out the RS1 "always check your gear". Whilst on the way out the mast base unclupped from the base sending me into a backflip and twisting my right wrist. Managed to get the base back in with the help of the guy on Jet ski support, but it ended up futile as once I tried to uphaul or hold onto the boom my hand couldnt hold on or grip. Got rescued in the end by some onlookers.

Wrist is getting better, but ego still bruised.

I would'nt worry about it too much jermaldan. I'm sure most have had similar experiences.... it's just one of those sports... but very rewarding when it all goes to plan. At least you came in fairly close to where you started. Sorry to hear about the wrist though.

WindRider
QLD, 835 posts
18 Jan 2012 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

For those who missed the event, I believe the top spots were out of about 33 sailors;

1. Ian Fox
2. Luke Meyers
3. Joshua Flipp

For more photos
accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?passive=1209600&osid=1&continue=https://plus.google.com/photos/117562559878883170513/albums/5698533024184776417&followup=https://plus.google.com/photos/117562559878883170513/albums/5698533024184776417

SHQ
VIC, 322 posts
Site Sponsor
22 Jan 2012 1:01PM
Thumbs Up

Well it's been almost a week and I've only just now got the chance to finally get the results up!

From my perspective running the on water safety it was great to see 35 windsurfers flying out to the beacon in perfect 17knot Southerly wind which increased to well over 20knots by the end. There was a hugely diverse mix of equipment from Formula gear to RSX to wave kit, long boards and several of the new RS-One one designs. There were definitely some competitive tussles and races within a race between evenly matched competitors which hopefully made it an enjoyable race for all involved. I know for many people this is the only time of year that they sail 6km offshore so just to complete the event is an achievement.

So the official top 10 results were:
1. Ian Fox
2. Luke Meyers
3. Josh Flipp
4. James Neeson
5. Vaughan Furniss (not bad on a JP FSW 107)
6. Peter Wilson
7. David
8. Sebastien
9. Simon Hansen
10. Simon McCormick

We were really stoked with the great turnout and support from all those that competed again this year in the SHQ Breakwater to Beacon race and excited that there were a few first timers who seemed to really enjoy it and will hopefully be back again next year. We were definitely fortunate with the conditions which seem to have confirmed the move to January as good one to increase the likelihood of a seabreeze.

This event caps off a great year of successful windsurfing events for SHQ, which started with the Sandy Point Melbourne Cup Speed, Slalom and Wave extravaganza back in October followed by several Learn to Windsurf Demo weekends most notably in Hampton and Inverloch plus our ongoing support of the WV kids club and finally this iconic race. We at SHQ are definitely excited about the seemingly increasingly healthy state of windsurfing in Victoria and look forward to continuing to trying to do our bit to maintain and build a friendly and fun windsurfing community.

As with all our events the SHQ Breakwater to Beacon was fortunate to have the help of many people to make it a fun and successful day.

Special thanks goes to:
- WV for helping with the registrations for the event
- Ian Hawkey for his impressive boat which formed the turning mark and provided a new level of safety and support to the competitors (thankfully we managed to avoid putting it on the reef at Sandringham beach...just) along with Norts and Boonie on the jet ski and fishing boat.
- Pete Wilson for his excellent skills on the BBQ after the event
- Mike Meyers for the use of the SBHQ facilities
- All the SHQ team, especially Hudson from JP/Neilpryde for helping to organise the day and running the start

We're already looking forward to next years events but the season's not over yet - seabreezes seem to be returning to a more normal pattern so hopefully there'll be another few months of good summer wind.

See you all soon on the water and hopefully in the store!

Fletch

WindRider
QLD, 835 posts
22 Jan 2012 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

Guys you might want to check the results table as the photos above would have Kurt after Jerry.

SHQ
VIC, 322 posts
Site Sponsor
22 Jan 2012 1:47PM
Thumbs Up

Good pick up Steve - Jerry had vest number 6 on but it was Pete Wilson who actually came 6th - I've updated accordingly... was a big night last night - sorry for the confusion

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Victoria

"SHQ Breakwater to Beacon & Learn to Windsurf 15/01" started by WindRider