Where are you Windsurfing this weekend? 06-071110

Created by K Dog > 9 months ago, 5 Nov 2010
K Dog
VIC, 1847 posts
5 Nov 2010 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry Windrider!

Who is going where this weekend?

Me and Ozbiker56 are going to Keast Park on Sunday morning - all things being equal and the wind is a Northerly...... in the morning, circa 10 AM start.

Architect is a possible, with Jermaldan putting in an application for wind leave with the wife.

matcoburn
VIC, 203 posts
5 Nov 2010 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

Gunnamatta on SE or Woolamai. Swell has been defeated....some easy waves without being knuckled.

mr love
VIC, 2348 posts
5 Nov 2010 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

Triathlon at Green Point Sunday morning. Beach Rd closed until after 10.00 and probably bugger all access to the carpark until 12.00

WindRider
QLD, 834 posts
5 Nov 2010 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

Bonbeach Sunday morning if the wind comes through, fingers crossed.

ginger pom
VIC, 1746 posts
5 Nov 2010 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

mr love said...

Triathlon at Green Point Sunday morning. Beach Rd closed until after 10.00 and probably bugger all access to the carpark until 12.00

could be the excuse we've all been looking for to try bonbeach as a superior northerly destination?

glass half full etc

kato
VIC, 3391 posts
5 Nov 2010 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

Just finished my sail for the weekend,too stuffed for any more

Leman
VIC, 672 posts
5 Nov 2010 10:11PM
Thumbs Up

Hmm may consider bonbeach too. I usually hit Rye in a northerly but usually dies off down there as we get closer to summer.

Old Salty
VIC, 1271 posts
6 Nov 2010 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

Skippies for me on Sunday

ejmack
VIC, 1308 posts
6 Nov 2010 10:20AM
Thumbs Up

Leman said...

Hmm may consider bonbeach too. I usually hit Rye in a northerly but usually dies off down there as we get closer to summer.

Sounds like we may be fighting for rigging space!

waggles56
VIC, 204 posts
6 Nov 2010 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

mr love said...

Green Point is also closed today, (Saturday). Perhaps Dendy if the northerly gets up.

ginger pom
VIC, 1746 posts
6 Nov 2010 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

Today isn't going to happen.... We're going to Bonbeach first thing tomorrow morning...

Rosobot
VIC, 384 posts
6 Nov 2010 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

Keates Park or Bonbeach assuming it is windy!

Leman
VIC, 672 posts
6 Nov 2010 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Rosobot said...

Keates Park or Bonbeach assuming it is windy!

Hey Tom, if we go by seabreeze, looks might we might have to make it an early morning sail. Seems to be dying by midday.

Leman
VIC, 672 posts
7 Nov 2010 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

Ok Nic, don't say you never get any photos. Lol. Caught this on the Rye webcam at about 3pm, think it is you.

Bonbeach ended up being a little disappointing, very up and down. Was fun when it blew though, and met a bunch of the northern sailors.

ginger pom
VIC, 1746 posts
7 Nov 2010 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

ah

Rosobot is Tom, the English guy who does 360s and talks about willies a lot?

Leman is Aussie guy who was sailing Ezzy kit?

Leman
VIC, 672 posts
7 Nov 2010 5:39PM
Thumbs Up

ginger pom said...

ah

Rosobot is Tom, the English guy who does 360s and talks about willies a lot?

Leman is Aussie guy who was sailing Ezzy kit?

Lol roger that. Although I don't normally get called Aussie guy, except perhaps by a Pom. Usually get, "that big dark fella."

You certainly look like your names sake. Hope you enjoyed your 5km+ sail straight out. You went a bloody long way out.

off da wall
VIC, 29 posts
7 Nov 2010 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

Nice try Lee, but I was out of the water by two, maybe next time

windjunky
VIC, 398 posts
7 Nov 2010 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

Nice to meet a couple of you guys at Bonbeach - finally some faces to names. GingerP was obviously still hung over from his birthday celebrations because a) he told me about being hungover from his birthday celebrations - twice, in 20 minutes b) he let someone else sail his beloved birthday board. And Leman, i reckon it was pretty dam good - though i wasn't game to go as far out as some. Though maybe i'm being relative; good as compared to a northerly at the G-Spot (a.k.a Green Point).

AB/windjunky (i.e., the guy on a Gaastra Poison who wasnt Ginger Pom/who sat on his car for half the morning muttering about going to Mt Martha and still went in at Bonny anyway!)

Leman
VIC, 672 posts
7 Nov 2010 8:50PM
Thumbs Up

Tom aka Rosobot (the other Pom) was recovering from his one year old's birthday party. They party really hard in Mt. Eliza (slight sarcasm).

Common theme: The Brits like to drink but will still get up early for some wind (hats off)

Edit: where on earth is Flipper? He's been quiet.

Rosobot
VIC, 384 posts
7 Nov 2010 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

Classic Ginger Pom! I think it is you that talks about willies a lot

flipper4444
VIC, 1214 posts
7 Nov 2010 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

Leman have you seen my pics son?? i posted them in the wave forum. we had some nice wind at the PIT fridy. I went down to keys park today there were about 20 guys out then i packed up and moved on to green point where the wind was still up green point was crowded it was full of chicks windsurfing and sun baken.HANG TEN

K Dog
VIC, 1847 posts
8 Nov 2010 10:39AM
Thumbs Up

flipper4444 said...

Leman have you seen my pics son?? i posted them in the wave forum. we had some nice wind at the PIT fridy. I went down to keys park today there were about 20 guys out then i packed up and moved on to green point where the wind was still up green point was crowded it was full of chicks windsurfing and sun baken.HANG TEN

Hey Flip, what time where you at Keast Park?

mr love
VIC, 2348 posts
8 Nov 2010 10:58AM
Thumbs Up

Sailed at Green Point, had to rig down the road a bit due to the triathlon stuff. Was a bit patchy at first then filled in great. Was on my Stoney and 2011 Koyote 5.9 ( sweet) and having a ball. Was contemplating changing to a smaller sail when my beloved Stoney suffered what I think may be a terminal injury, tore the fin box out,split it in half and delamed the whole back of the boardDevestated!!!!

flipper4444
VIC, 1214 posts
8 Nov 2010 11:30AM
Thumbs Up

ooops is it Keast park? i thought it was keys park he,he any way i got there K-dog late about 12 i think... i have never windsurfed there in a northly, when the wind was up it was great fun. swell is easy to jump and nice and smooth at the back..

Gorgo
VIC, 4969 posts
8 Nov 2010 11:31AM
Thumbs Up

You guys should go up to Kite Beach opposite the Savoy hotel in a northerly.

The wind is cleaner with less wind shadow on the inside.
Parking is free.
There's plenty of rigging space.
No bushes and shrubs to avoid walking up and down the embankment.
No used frangas on the ground.

There's a few kiters to avoid but that's not too hard. The odd sailboarder that rides there manages that and so do the gumby kiters.

The wind picks up and is much cleaner as you head north near the Brighton YC so you can get out by yourself in the stronger wind.

K Dog
VIC, 1847 posts
8 Nov 2010 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

flipper4444 said...

ooops is it Keast park? i thought it was keys park he,he any way i got there K-dog late about 12 i think... i have never windsurfed there in a northly, when the wind was up it was great fun. swell is easy to jump and nice and smooth at the back..

I think I was down there at the same time. Was on the big blue Bic that everyone was probably trying to steer clear off

I found it to be a pretty good spot in a northerly.

CROWEMAN
VIC, 268 posts
8 Nov 2010 12:51PM
Thumbs Up

Gorgo said...

You guys should go up to Kite Beach opposite the Savoy hotel in a northerly.

The wind is cleaner with less wind shadow on the inside.
Parking is free.
There's plenty of rigging space.
No bushes and shrubs to avoid walking up and down the embankment.
No used frangas on the ground.

There's a few kiters to avoid but that's not too hard. The odd sailboarder that rides there manages that and so do the gumby kiters.

The wind picks up and is much cleaner as you head north near the Brighton YC so you can get out by yourself in the stronger wind.

Thanks for the hint. I've often wondered why there aren't more sailboards out on this beach - parking is certainly easier. I put it down to boating restrictions etc? I've noticed recently that there are increasing numbers of kites using this spot - including the occasional kite school, but there's plenty of room and it doesn't seem to attract as many swimmers as other nearby spots.

Gorgo
VIC, 4969 posts
8 Nov 2010 1:18PM
Thumbs Up

It's the best (only) beach near Melbourne that's good in a northerly so you get a fair number of people there. It's been known as Kite Beach for nearly 10 years.

It's quite crowded in a Southerly and I would not recommend it then. There's other and better beaches for Southerlies.

Keast Park is lovely in a northerly. The water quality and sand is as nice as ocean without the swell. It's a bit of a drive and the facilities are a little dodgey since they redeveloped it. Cars have been broken into.

Leman
VIC, 672 posts
8 Nov 2010 3:40PM
Thumbs Up

K Dog said...

flipper4444 said...

Hey Flip, what time where you at Keast Park?

I could see you guys sailing at Keast from Bonbeach. Really doesn't look far when looking down the beach. I was at Bonbeach from 8:30 to about 1:30pm. Tom and I were going to do Keast Park but no one mentioned they were heading there and we thought we would be a little more social.

Gorgo
VIC, 4969 posts
8 Nov 2010 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

It's worth mentioning that the reef between Kite Beach and Dendy St is pretty shallow. Your fins would be in grave danger if you tried to ride over it.

waggles56
VIC, 204 posts
8 Nov 2010 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

Gorgo said...

It's the best (only) beach near Melbourne that's good in a northerly so you get a fair number of people there. It's been known as Kite Beach for nearly 10 years.

It's quite crowded in a Southerly and I would not recommend it then. There's other and better beaches for Southerlies.

Keast Park is lovely in a northerly. The water quality and sand is as nice as ocean without the swell. It's a bit of a drive and the facilities are a little dodgey since they redeveloped it. Cars have been broken into.

Is Kite Beach any better than going out at Dendy? 500m apart. I guess when the new regulations come in, Dendy will be watched closely by parks victoria. Kite Beach will be very attractive then, (but sooooo crowded).

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Victoria

"Where are you Windsurfing this weekend? 06-071110" started by K Dog