Forums > Windsurfing Victoria

Where are you Windsurfing this weekend? 12-130311

Created by WindRider > 9 months ago, 11 Mar 2011
WindRider
QLD, 834 posts
11 Mar 2011 7:52AM
Thumbs Up

Where is every one windsurfing this weekend?

Myself:
I'm heading down to Inverloch to teach the wife how to windsurf. I'm hoping for sail down there later today this evening.

With regards to the informal clinics on the bay, keep an eye on this post and future 'Where are you Windsurfing this Weekend' posts.

Refer to the extract from BOM forecast below for Port Philip Bay.
Local Waters Forecast for Port Phillip

Issued at 5:16 am EDT on Friday 11 March 2011

Forecast for Friday until midnight
Winds: East to southeasterly 5 to 10 knots becoming variable during the morning then afternoon seabreezes around 10 knots developing. Winds tending easterly 15 to 20 knots during the evening and reaching 25 knots in the south. Seas: Below 0.5 metres rising up to 1 metre in the evening.

Forecast for Saturday
Winds: East to northeasterly 5 to 15 knots, 20 knots in the south at first, tending north to northwesterly about 10 knots around dawn then tending south to southeasterly up to 15 knots during the afternoon. Seas: Up to 1 metre.

Forecast for Sunday
Winds: Light, generally northwesterly to 5 knots shifting south to southwesterly 10 to 15 knots around midday. Seas: Below 0.5 metres increasing to 0.5 to 1 metres during the evening.

Forecast for Monday
Winds: Southerly 10 to 15 knots decreasing to 10 knots during the morning then tending south to southeasterly 10 to 15 knots during the afternoon. Seas: 0.5 to 1 metres.

Please note; this is not a WV event and this post is to be used as information only. The intent of this post is for windsurfers to post where they could be going to windsurf this weekend and for other windsurfers to possible come and join them.

K Dog
VIC, 1847 posts
11 Mar 2011 3:00PM
Thumbs Up

hmmm....

Sat gf duties, sun gf duties, Monday think the 7.5 cammed first thing in the morning, maybe st Kilda.....

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
11 Mar 2011 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

K Dog said...

Sat gf duties...

Surely that wont take you longer than 5 minutes...;P

ejmack
VIC, 1308 posts
11 Mar 2011 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

Nice sail at Inverloch this afternoon - 15-20 knots from the east. Nicely powered on a 7m.

Jman
VIC, 873 posts
11 Mar 2011 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

I got the weekend of to a good start with a sail at Waratah bay nicely powered with 5.0 on 96L

ejmack
VIC, 1308 posts
11 Mar 2011 11:01PM
Thumbs Up

Must have been quite a bit stronger at Sand Point than Inverloch. Although it did seem to pick up around 4pm. Tempted to head out again on the smaller gear at the Angling club but didn't.

Jman
VIC, 873 posts
11 Mar 2011 11:35PM
Thumbs Up

ejmack said...

Must have been quite a bit stronger at Sand Point than Inverloch. Although it did seem to pick up around 4pm. Tempted to head out again on the smaller gear at the Angling club but didn't.

We got on the water about midday I think and it was pretty consistant all arvo with just the odd lull.

WindRider
QLD, 834 posts
15 Mar 2011 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

Had good sail Sunday afternoon at Inverloch and at Mentone late Monday afternoon.

K Dog
VIC, 1847 posts
15 Mar 2011 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

Elwood was good late in the afternoon - turned on and no lulls. Guessing 15-20 knots consistently.

windaddict
VIC, 1121 posts
15 Mar 2011 12:51PM
Thumbs Up

Jman said...

I got the weekend of to a good start with a sail at Waratah bay nicely powered with 5.0 on 96L

How many K's Jman ?

Jman
VIC, 873 posts
15 Mar 2011 6:44PM
Thumbs Up

windaddict said...

Jman said...

How many K's Jman ?

WindRider
QLD, 834 posts
15 Mar 2011 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

WindRider said...

Had good sail Sunday afternoon at Inverloch and at Mentone late Monday afternoon.

Add Tuesday after work seabreeze at Bonbeach. Three days in a row. Today was the best of the three days.

TristanF
VIC, 229 posts
15 Mar 2011 11:20PM
Thumbs Up

Reckon Elwood yesterday afternoon was the best sail I had since December. Nice southerly, not too gusty, that built through the afternoon. Started out on an 8.5 and was powered up oddly from 2:30, then by 4pm even with the downhaul and outhaul completely in was totally overpowered.

I'd forgotten that sensation of a sail dragging you forward over the nose while you're desperately pulling the front hand upwind, and pointing as high as possible, just to keep things under some sort of control!

Changed to a 6.6, which felt light as a feather by comparison, and managed to sail until 5:15pm. Still managed a couple of serious catapults when bigger gusts came through - but nothing wiped the smile from my face.

This is what a Melbourne summer is about!

Blisters galore, acching from head to toe, and the tops of my feet are a little raw from being in and out of the footstraps... but I AM HAPPY!

WindRider
QLD, 834 posts
16 Mar 2011 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

WindRider said...

WindRider said...

Add Tuesday after work seabreeze at Bonbeach. Three days in a row. Today was the best of the three days.

Now add Wednesday as well. Another seabreeze at Bonno. More SSE this time.

Squid Lips
WA, 708 posts
17 Mar 2011 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

I got to Elwood Sunday arvo and tried to rig in what felt like a 30 knot squall without my sail blowing away. Got to the waters edge and it had dropped to about 15 knots. Quickly changed up from 5.3 to 6.6. Wind dropped again. Switched to big board (still haven't got in the water by this stage) and looks like it's dropped right out. Waited around for 10 or 15 mins and seems like it's picking up a bit again so I get in the water. Slogged out 100m or so, turned around. Almost got planing on the way back in with a gust and a bit of chop. Carried my board up the beach and tried to step up onto the path while carrying it all so I didn't get it all sandy. Couldn't make the step up with my second foot. Dropped board on path and scraped the ** out of my shin on the edge of the concrete. Went home. Awsome day!

WindRider
QLD, 834 posts
17 Mar 2011 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

Squid Lips said...

I got to Elwood Sunday arvo and tried to rig in what felt like a 30 knot squall without my sail blowing away. Got to the waters edge and it had dropped to about 15 knots. Quickly changed up from 5.3 to 6.6. Wind dropped again. Switched to big board (still haven't got in the water by this stage) and looks like it's dropped right out. Waited around for 10 or 15 mins and seems like it's picking up a bit again so I get in the water. Slogged out 100m or so, turned around. Almost got planing on the way back in with a gust and a bit of chop. Carried my board up the beach and tried to step up onto the path while carrying it all so I didn't get it all sandy. Couldn't make the step up with my second foot. Dropped board on path and scraped the ** out of my shin on the edge of the concrete. Went home. Awsome day!

Doesn't sounds like a great day on the bay last Sunday.
I know your pain. Even though I had a sail at Inverloch last Sunday, some num-nut scratched my van with his board. What sort of person parks so close in open parking bay and then decides to carry their board down to the beach through the tight gap they have created, instead of using the other side that had more room? My wife went nuts and most of the windsurfers at Inverloch were trying to call me back in. I had no idea as I was blasting up and down. No I have deal with getting it fixed and insurance companies. Not happy Jan.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Victoria

"Where are you Windsurfing this weekend? 12-130311" started by WindRider