Forums > Windsurfing Victoria

Where are you Windsurfing this weekend? 16-170411

Created by WindRider > 9 months ago, 15 Apr 2011
WindRider
QLD, 834 posts
15 Apr 2011 8:47AM
Thumbs Up

Where is every one windsurfing this weekend?

WV and PYC with support from SHQ are hosting a windsurfing beginner clinic from Parkdale Yacht Club this Sunday. In addition WV and PYC are holding extend windsurfing course race event in the afternoon. Please refer to this post for more details.
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Victoria/Extended-Windsurfing-Course-Racing-PYC-170411/

Myself:
Saturday – if time permits I may get an early afternoon sail at Parkdale or Bonno to prepare for Sunday's race, if I'm lucky with all my other duties I have on for this weekend.
Sunday – I will be at Parkdale Yacht Club helping host the clinic and competing in the extend windsurfing course racing.

With regards to the informal clinics on the bay, keep an eye on this post and future 'Where are you Windsurfing this Weekend' posts.

Refer to the extract from BOM forecast below for Port Philip Bay.

Local Waters Forecast for Port Phillip
Issued at 5:21 am EST on Friday 15 April 2011

Forecast for Saturday
Winds: South to southeasterly 10 to 15 knots becoming southerly 15 to 20 knots during the afternoon then tending south to southeasterly 10 to 15 knots by early evening. Seas: 0.5 to 1 metres.

Forecast for Sunday
Winds: Easterly 5 to 10 knots becoming light during the afternoon then tending northeasterly up to 10 knots during the evening. Seas: Below 0.5 metres.

Please note; this is not a WV event (except for the Sunday event as Parkdale Yacht Club) and this post is to be used as information only. The intent of this post is for windsurfers to post where they could be going to windsurf this weekend and for other windsurfers to possible come and join them.

latedropeddy
VIC, 417 posts
16 Apr 2011 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

last night sailed willy beach - around 18kts on 6.6 & 120L with my mate kurt, wind angle SE with a really good angle to sail to altona & back.

After some errands I reckon I'll hit the beach again around 1-2pm, rotunda end of the beach.

matcoburn
VIC, 203 posts
16 Apr 2011 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

went down to woolamai and to my suprise saw 4 Pt Leo regulars carving the crap out of a 4 ft right hander all afternoon. Oh yes they were on short SUPs with sails attached. Its about time they tried this.
Went to Gunnamatta and it was cross shore all arfo. One bloke was on RRD 120 litre SUP and another on a 170 litre thereabouts starboard. Once again, good to see people making the best equipment choices to suit the conditions.

WindRider
QLD, 834 posts
16 Apr 2011 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

I took out my new raceboard at parkdale and blast. Got up to about 22 knots of speed with only 8-12 knots of wind. Should be a great course race kit above 5 knots. Tomorrows race will be a good test.

ejmack
VIC, 1308 posts
16 Apr 2011 11:05PM
Thumbs Up

matcoburn said...

went down to woolamai and to my suprise saw 4 Pt Leo regulars carving the crap out of a 4 ft right hander all afternoon. Oh yes they were on short SUPs with sails attached. Its about time they tried this.
Went to Gunnamatta and it was cross shore all arfo. One bloke was on RRD 120 litre SUP and another on a 170 litre thereabouts starboard. Once again, good to see people making the best equipment choices to suit the conditions.

That would have been Bondy and Dan by the sounds of it!

Bondalucci
QLD, 1579 posts
16 Apr 2011 11:38PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, that was Dan and I. Dan on the RRD and myself on the 9'8" Starboard Element with a 5.7 sail.

Had an awesome afternoon, given that there was not enough wind for a wind surf. We went, thinking that we would be paddling into some waves, but the wind was just enough to make it no good for paddling, so we put the sails on.

Conclusion, -no poley should ever buy a sup that doesn't have the windsurfing option.

It was really good fun on a beautiful weather arvo!

There were 2 other guys out and together we sailed upwind a few breaks, to find a nice left hander with no surfers.

Wish you could have joined us Evan. (thats 2 invites you've missed that turned out to be great sessions) -maybe next time!

matcoburn
VIC, 203 posts
17 Apr 2011 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Evan,
that blue ezzy 5.5 u sold me has been great. You got get down on the backbeaches 4 a wave sail. Easterlies with a swell of 2m and under on the swell bouy.....lots of options.
Mat

ejmack
VIC, 1308 posts
17 Apr 2011 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

Bondalucci said...
Wish you could have joined us Evan. (thats 2 invites you've missed that turned out to be great sessions) -maybe next time!

Maybe I shouldn't then! I'd hate to be the jinx.

Sounds like another good session I missed. I've still only used the SUP in flat water.

Mat - Glad the 5.5 Ezzy is still going strong. I liked my old 5.5m I sold you so much I recently got a new one. Little bit lighter in feel from the 09 models. Hope to get down there soon, even if it's just on the sup paddling or with a sail.

matcoburn
VIC, 203 posts
17 Apr 2011 7:18PM
Thumbs Up

Tommorow morning .......not sure whether you guys are working...we have a 15 to 20 knot NW and a small swell. Lok and i are gunna do gunna, or flinders big left right hander. Both locations would be good on NW in the morning.

cheers Evan

WindRider
QLD, 834 posts
18 Apr 2011 9:08AM
Thumbs Up

The windsurfing clinic and the extended course racing last Sunday at Parkdale Yacht Club was a great success. Thanks to all that came down.

The day started off with about dozen kids and adult windurfing lessons. After a great lunch at the club we had our first of three windsurfing course races. These three included an open class on top of the Windsurfer One Design class. The windsurfers who sailed in the open class had all differeent styles of gear and from locations around the bay, etc. Some from other yacht/sailing clubs and others who wanted to be part of the first of many fun days at PYC. This sort of program will be expanded to other yacht/sailing clubs as well next season.

Some of the clinic photos can be seen from the link below. More photos to follow later. I'm not sure if there was any photos taken of the 3 exntended windsurfing course races, as most of us were on the water.

https://picasaweb.google.com/117562559878883170513/WVPYCSHQWindsurfingClinic1711?authkey=Gv1sRgCLeSqrfLj-O0LA#

windaddict
VIC, 1121 posts
18 Apr 2011 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

windaddict
VIC, 1121 posts
18 Apr 2011 10:47AM
Thumbs Up

WindRider
QLD, 834 posts
18 Apr 2011 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

windaddict said...

Thanks for coming down and taking some happy snaps.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Victoria

"Where are you Windsurfing this weekend? 16-170411" started by WindRider