3 Aug 2008 7:18PM
Thumbs Up

more yuk.

nutbag
154 posts
3 Aug 2008 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

Gee Scotty, what an awesome review.
Tell us, what conditions did you test this sail in?

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
4 Aug 2008 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Forums are about opinion and I say all the ezzys including that new one look yuk. Wave sails are not racing gear so I am sure they probally work ok but I am sure they would perform about 2 or 3 years behind the latest Naish, NP, North, Gasstra, Severne and more....

CJW
NSW, 1718 posts
4 Aug 2008 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

And what do you base that on? The alignment of Planet Mars to the sun? Honestly if you don't like them because they look 'crap' that's cool but have you actually sailed all of those brands (including the Ezzy's) which you claim are better?

There is no doubt the Ezzy sails' follow a different design philosphy to the other brands with the amount of preshape they carry and generally the way the sail is shaped. I think it creates an inherently stable foil which is certainly a little different to use in as much as it doesn't turn into a 'flat board' like most of the others. It has its pros and cons but I like it. You see a few comments that they lack power but I certainly have never noticed it, i'll admit i'm only 70kg but I plane before almost everyone else.

I switched to Ezzy in '07 from North (after going through about 3 sails in 2 seasons) and wouldn't go back. Their stability, durability and construction are second to none imo. Have '07 and '08 Ezzy's and look forward to trying the '09s out :)

nebbian
WA, 6277 posts
4 Aug 2008 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

I don't give a flying f at a rolling doughnut how my sails look, it's all about feel for me, and my Ezzys feel sweeeeeeeeeeeeet

I've tried flashy 'look good' sails and they fell apart. If that floats your boat, then you're welcome to them

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
4 Aug 2008 11:31PM
Thumbs Up

Thats for sure, what ever floats your boat. I am 90kg plus a 3/4 wettie. Hey if your in a sport for 25 years you get an eye and opinion for what's good and what's not. They obvioulsy sell a few ezzy, you see a few out on the water. My yuk comment is not about colour or graphics its the shape and outline that doent do it for me. They have a head like a race sail. Not my cup of tea. But like you said, its just my opinion.

Long Reef
SA, 582 posts
5 Aug 2008 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

I think its really positive for the sport to have dissenters- designers trying different things and persisting with them. I'm thinking of the progress made with Twinnies, No cam slalom sails, evo waveboards and Winged Keel single fin surfboards.

Ezzy has been doing sails for a long time. I met him briefly on the beach in Maui a couple of years ago when his son was sailing Hookipa. I had Ezzy rentals and he re rigged them for me on the beach. He was a little annoyed that the rental place did not provide bags so that customers had sails that were more worn than they should be.

I did sail with Ezzys for 2 seasons but found them too spongy when trying to do flicky types moves - they kept power sometimes when I did not need it. I know monofilm does not last as long but I found the vynl window Ezzy uses to be too small to see what the wave is doing. I did switch to Severne S1 which feel very light, easy to see through, have a higher skin tension and look damn sexy. I am much more comfortable with them as I only weigh 69kg.... now 72kg (I had cupcakes for breakfast)

It seems today you can't buy a bad sail - just buy one that does not suit your weight or sailing style.
cheers

hoop
1979 posts
5 Aug 2008 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

Wave Panther? I've got this picture in my head of a panther thats been chucked in the surf and it's not looking too agile. Dont cats hate water. (not bagging the sail, just a funny choice of name)

king of the point
WA, 1836 posts
5 Aug 2008 10:18AM
Thumbs Up

QUOTE scotty mac SA
Thats for sure, what ever floats your boat. I am 90kg plus a 3/4 wettie. Hey if your in a sport for 25 years you get an eye and opinion for what's good and what's not. They obvioulsy sell a few ezzy, you see a few out on the water. My yuk comment is not about colour or graphics its the shape and outline that doent do it for me. They have a head like a race sail. Not my cup of tea. But like you said, its just my opinion. Quote Scotty mac

Scotty Mack.......... from SA
Intresting your strong comments ............about ezzys SHAPE AND OUT LINE .....i just been laying different sails including Severs o9 S (which look sweet) over the O8 ezzys ....and your comments are wired .......the leach of the ezzy is cut with a distinct curve from the clue to the head which may appear like a speed sail but actually twists and release and sets up as a higher aspect. All of the other SAILES have a near straight leach and larger heads out of the back of the boom right up high all the way to the head..... as i understand it will give you more lift and drive up wind ,but will twist off with more sail high and over the back of the boom,this makes the sail over powered eailer as theres more back hand press required and a tighter leach and inverted sail twist when your powered to over powered.

Being a full sail with twist ...they are not as good for freestyle and clew into the wind tricks. as you loose the tightness in the leach.
But will be super soft in the hands and spounge.

flatter sails will feel twichy and ......help you feel every gust ,but there needs to be a certin amount of full ness dependent on your weight and volume of the board conbined with the wind base so your stable to hang of your harness lines relaxed and balanced in light plodding and strong winds.

Problem last year was the size of the mast sleeve it seemed to collect water and made sail recovery harder.

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
5 Aug 2008 1:48PM
Thumbs Up

King of the point,
I think you are over simplifying how a wave sail works and when. There is no doubt the ezzy's work, infact wave sails dont need to be tha latest and greatest to allow someone to go out, ride waves and have fun. The ezzys sell and some people like them. But the leech, the shape and luff curve and pre twisted shape are complex combination, some sails rig with pretwist, some don't etc etc. On a wave, some like power in the back hand, some like flat sails and so and so on. If people are going to put promo stuff like the ezzy guy talking about his new sails, be prepared for others to comment....it is a forum.
I personally dont like ezzy sails.
Its a democracy.

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
5 Aug 2008 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

Further to the point about durability, I don't see the point of having sails that are heavy because they might last a couple of years longer. Doesnt matter what brand of sails you have and how many years you hang on to them, what's most important is resale value.
So my point is that the sails that are on the market that claim durability don't neccessarily help you at the end of the day if the re-sale value is low. The gap between the most durable and least durable in "durablity" is small compared to the gap in resale value.

If you get my drift.................

ejmack
VIC, 1308 posts
5 Aug 2008 3:50PM
Thumbs Up

As for looks, I personally think some of the more popular brands have quite boring designs and colours but that's personal opinion I guess. It's nice to see an Ezzy (or anything else a little different) in and amoungst them to mix it up a bit.

My decission to buy and continue to buy Ezzy's was based not only on quality, durability, looks, ease of use, etc. but also on David Ezzy's work ethics, which to me was quite important.

Tozza
WA, 160 posts
5 Aug 2008 1:56PM
Thumbs Up

I don't think anyone minds you offering your opinion Scotty, but I think people had a problem with your first post "more yuk" didn't really offer any sort of a review what-so-ever, you need to at least backup your opinion or clarify if you're just talking about the graphics.

I bought an '07 last year and the tuning with the outhaul was awesome. Not sure whether to change over my main sail size (5.2m, 2005) to another 07/08 or go with the 09. Anyone know the main differences between the 07 and 09?

Personally I like the ezzy designs, I find them very clean and rig perfectly also they seem to be very good value for $ also.

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
5 Aug 2008 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

Fair enough. The more juk was a bit over the top.

WINDY MILLER
WA, 3183 posts
5 Aug 2008 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

it looks like a sail that my gran knitted

qwerty
NSW, 807 posts
5 Aug 2008 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Scotty Mac said...

Further to the point about durability, I don't see the point of having sails that are heavy because they might last a couple of years longer.

Actually Scotty, Ezzys have been one of the lightest sails for the last several years. Which probably suprises everyone (that doesn't use them) because of how they look and how they are always referred to as the strongest.

Around 2004..ish I think it was, they were actually the lightest (comparing 5.0m to other brands. I know because I almost got one and that was the first thing I checked). Every other recent year they would rank around 2 or 3 at worst, often ahead of some notable p1ss-weak sails that don't last 5 seconds on the water.
I don't know how they did it but they did. And, as Dave Ezzy said in that video, they are even lighter this year than last year.

Personally, I never used to think much of them (that was without trying them), and used all the other brands you mentioned for years. Pryde were always a great performer, but I'm not going to pay their prices anymore. Gaastra were totally gutless until 2006.
The 2008 Ezzys are as good performance-wise as any other sail I've tried. De-power perfectly and plenty of grunt. I'm sick of gutless sails that don't get going. I'm only 75 kgs but when the wind hits, I want to move! And with a sail that also is the strongest, one of the lightest, and a top performer, I'm convinced.

And as for looks...couldn't give a rats fat. I want to take it sailing, not strut down the Logies red carpet with it as my date for the evening.

qwerty
NSW, 807 posts
5 Aug 2008 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

WINDY MILLER said...

it looks like a sail that my gran knitted

If I send her a ball of wool, can she make me a 4.7?

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
5 Aug 2008 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

SUP Loyalty runs thick. Thanks for the back up but I think its too late, I have dug in and I am out numbered. Save yourself and run for the hills.........

The Grinch
WA, 733 posts
5 Aug 2008 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

I found the Ezzy to be the only sail that can withstand my kackhanded sailing. Getting shore dumped, my head going through it and various other parts of my body coming into contact with it at great speed.
I can't afford to buy performance tat.
As far as I know Ezzys have one of the best resale values in WA.

In his video Mr Ezzy explains that he runs his own factory so he can keep a tight grip on quality. I think it shows in the construction of the sails.

That said, Panther is a bloody daft name and I don't like the colours. But I would still buy one.

dan berry
WA, 2562 posts
6 Aug 2008 5:02AM
Thumbs Up

qwerty said...

Scotty Mac said...

Further to the point about durability, I don't see the point of having sails that are heavy because they might last a couple of years longer.

Actually Scotty, Ezzys have been one of the lightest sails for the last several years. Which probably suprises everyone (that doesn't use them) because of how they look and how they are always referred to as the strongest.

Around 2004..ish I think it was, they were actually the lightest (comparing 5.0m to other brands. I know because I almost got one and that was the first thing I checked). Every other recent year they would rank around 2 or 3 at worst, often ahead of some notable p1ss-weak sails that don't last 5 seconds on the water.
I don't know how they did it but they did. And, as Dave Ezzy said in that video, they are even lighter this year than last year.

Personally, I never used to think much of them (that was without trying them), and used all the other brands you mentioned for years. Pryde were always a great performer, but I'm not going to pay their prices anymore. Gaastra were totally gutless until 2006.
The 2008 Ezzys are as good performance-wise as any other sail I've tried. De-power perfectly and plenty of grunt. I'm sick of gutless sails that don't get going. I'm only 75 kgs but when the wind hits, I want to move! And with a sail that also is the strongest, one of the lightest, and a top performer, I'm convinced.

And as for looks...couldn't give a rats fat. I want to take it sailing, not strut down the Logies red carpet with it as my date for the evening.

sounds like you sold the van and got some ezzies qwertyuiop. I think youll find that when people talk about the weight of ezzies they are refering to the feel of them in your hands as oppossed to the weight on the scales. I guess with all the xply and pvc thats the price of durability. Personally I agree with scotty, give me the lightest feeling, best performing sail available and have a much better time.

qwerty
NSW, 807 posts
6 Aug 2008 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Dan. Yeah but Scotty's comments were clearly aimed at the actual weight, and that is the assumption I was referring to when people see them without trying them (which certainly used to be my opinion too). What people think of them on the water is a different matter.
While I agree with you that pryde have that great light feel (despite what you used to say about them ) I can assure you the Ezzys are a match for any of the top performers. And like you, I also picked them so i would have a much better time. Give them a try next time you venture down this way. You'll be surprised.

and yep, no more van. back to a wagon. its nice to be able to drive up hills again quicker than i can walk.
Quiver of Ezzys, and a new Carbon Art 72L on the way as we speak. So of course that means there won't be any wind for ages.

peto
NSW, 406 posts
6 Aug 2008 10:20AM
Thumbs Up

So qwerty you have a few new toys ay...what sort of wagon did ya get and is the Carbon Art a custom or the production line. Sounds like a nice size litre board for your area. Are your ezzys the 08 or 09 models?

king of the point
WA, 1836 posts
6 Aug 2008 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

Scotty Mac .......i totally understand your response......... its a Fourm and as for the clip above well ?

Others have responded to the weight issue , i believe the balance and a locked in sweet draft spot in plodding/powered conditions and is far more important than a few grams of weight in any sail brand.

qwerty
NSW, 807 posts
6 Aug 2008 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

peto said...

So qwerty you have a few new toys ay...what sort of wagon did ya get and is the Carbon Art a custom or the production line. Sounds like a nice size litre board for your area. Are your ezzys the 08 or 09 models?

Just an older Hyundai. Nothing flash, but was mega cheap, and in good condition (and just down the road from home).

Ezzys. 4.5 and 5.5 in the 08. Waiting on a 2009 5.0
Carbon Art (where the rest of the car budget went )....bit of both. Slight modification of the current 73L (and custom graphics of course!). But I think it may become their standard for next year. Can't wait. Should be here in about 3 - 4 weeks.

dan berry
WA, 2562 posts
6 Aug 2008 1:15PM
Thumbs Up

werent you getting quatro customs??

qwerty
NSW, 807 posts
6 Aug 2008 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

nope. I prefer southern hemisphere boards.

dan berry
WA, 2562 posts
6 Aug 2008 4:13PM
Thumbs Up

and you chose a pretty choice country to have it made eh

CJW
NSW, 1718 posts
6 Aug 2008 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

I think qwerty should be banned from buying new gear, because since he has there has been little wind outside of work hours :o BANNED I SAY!1

qwerty
NSW, 807 posts
6 Aug 2008 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

dan berry said...

and you chose a pretty choice country to have it made eh

My board is probably their biggest export for 2008.

qwerty
NSW, 807 posts
6 Aug 2008 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

CJW said...

I think qwerty should be banned from buying new gear, because since he has there has been little wind outside of work hours :o BANNED I SAY!1

Who needs wind?? I only bought it so I can rig it on my lawn and gaze at it.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Wave sailing

"2009 Ezzy Wave Panther" started by Leech