Forums > Windsurfing Wave sailing

2012 Australian Wavesailing Nationals - Update

Created by Willaus0001 > 9 months ago, 2 Aug 2012
Willaus0001
QLD, 333 posts
2 Aug 2012 2:09PM
Thumbs Up

Hello all - just a quick update on the progress of the organisation of the Nationals this year - being held at Woolgoolga NSW from Sat 29th Sept to Sat 6th Oct. Here is the answers to a few of the FAQ's to keep you all in the loop.

1. Is it still on??

Firstly - a few rumours floating around about the event being cancelled - Im not sure the basis of these, but we are full steam ahead with the organisation for the event and all is moving forward as planned - so dont fret! Its happening baby!!!!

2. How do I enter and how much is it?

This year, for ease of admin and the application process, we are putting together an online entry form which will ensure your application doesnt get lost in the fax/post/email matrix of doom. This is in the hands of some trusty web developers and will be up very soon. Entry fees at this stage will be around the $90-100 mark for early bird entry and $120-130 for last minute entries. Exact amount is to be confirmed due to a balancing act with sponsor contribution, event costs etc - this will be announced once the online form is complete. Payment will be via EFT transfer will allow easy accounting for all!

3. Where do I stay?

There are a few caravan parks located very close to the event site: coffscoastholidayparks.com.au/woolgoolga-beach-caravan-park/ and
coffscoastholidayparks.com.au/woolgoolga-lakeside-caravan-park/ as well as www.watersidecabins.com.au/.

There are a fair few holiday rental houses as well, and these could be a good option also if you want to share with mates.

Be aware these dates for the event do coincide with QLD and NSW school holidays so its important to get your accommodation sorted soon to avoid missing out.

4. What are the predominant conditions for wavesailing?

The contest area seems to be borne out of a wavesailers dream. The spot works on both SW/S/SE - starboard riding conditions and NE/N - port tack riding. The predominant conditions for the spring season is the NE seabreeze, so the probability is high for port tack riding conditions. Along with the sailing, Woolgoolga plays host to an incredible array of beach and point breaks for surfing and SUPing, so light wind options are covered! Dont forget your surfboard :)

5. Where do I go for the latest contest info?

The main point of contact for contest info and updates is via our facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/2012AustralianWavesailingNationals

This is the central point of contact for the event, so LIKE this page to keep up to date.

I personally am getting pretty excited - we have a sponsor who is providing a videoographer and editor for the event so we will be aiming for contest coverage on international sites such as continentseven.com, boardseeker.com and MPORA. We have some amazing locations here on the east coast of Aus (as well as West Oz of course, and it will be a great opportunity to showcase our talent to the world also. "Secret" dicussions are also happening with a beer sponsor who are interested in providing some "liquid-based" support for the event - stay tuned on that one!!!

Finally, if you have any queries about the event, or wish to offer support in some way, please contact me via private SB message or via the facebook page and I will endevour to contact you back asap to help if I can!

May the wind blow and the waves peel for you all in the meantime.

Will Johnston
Contest Director
2012 Australian Wavesailing Nationals

bowsa
QLD, 602 posts
8 Aug 2012 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

I'm pumped for the nationals! Woolgoolga is such a good spot on both port tack and starboard tack. That time of year is awesome for sea breezes and big southerly low's and i'm sure there will be surf / SUP comps in the mornings early! Can't wait!!!!

Accomodation booked too!!!

Come on Australian wavesailors - get pumped!!!!!

gm1
NSW, 107 posts
10 Aug 2012 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

Well today should have been epic at Woolgoogla, Gale Force winds, rising south swells. What did we get? Beautiful sunshine, on and off SW winds 5-20kts, great for surfing but the wave sailing may have to wait until tomorrow. Looks like down south got the strong winds. Sand banks are great though. Should be good for the Nationals in 6 weeks!
GM1
Coffs Harbour

robbo1111
NSW, 631 posts
10 Aug 2012 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

Good to see you're still sailing Gary, I'll be up there for the comp but no match for you in the old man category
Steve

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Wave sailing

"2012 Australian Wavesailing Nationals - Update" started by Willaus0001