Forums > Windsurfing Wave sailing

NSWWA Event 1, Spring Bash, ILLAWARRA 11/12th Sept

Created by Crash Landing > 9 months ago, 15 Aug 2010
dan berry
WA, 2562 posts
26 Aug 2010 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

Good for you, you managed to get it out. Its been in there for over an hour though.

qwerty
NSW, 807 posts
26 Aug 2010 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Crash Landing said...

It amazes me that every year, every comp and even every posting relating to the NSWWA we always come back to the same old topic "it would be better elsewhere"...

well...I didn't say that at all.

Was merely pointing out how often viable suggestions to improve the comps were continually dismissed during the time I was attending.

Yes there are risks in trying new spots. The biggest risks are if the spot is unknown for its reliability, or if its not conveniently located.
The spots raised in this topic are 100% tried and tested (by people who live there and sail there more than anywhere else), and a few mins up the road from base camp.

Given that there are a few Gerroa comps throughout the season, it always seemed like a safe experiment to at least try it once for one comp. Especially as the comp would always find its way back to Gerroa if the weather didn't play ball.

Nothing is guaranteed. Some ideas work, some don't. But some are certainly worth considering. When they're not, then people have every right to question whether the decisions are in the best interests of the association and its members.

I love this sport and loved the comps as much as you or anyone else, and I've put in at least as much time as you or anyone else. If I have an idea or an opinion, then I'm going to raise it.
Don't take it as an attack on your efforts to run the show. Just offering another angle.

Personally, I applaud anyone who volunteers to run the comps. I know exactly what a thank-less sh!tfight it can be.
So keep up the good work, and I sincerely hope the conditions fire for every comp, no matter where they're held.

roberto
NSW, 190 posts
27 Aug 2010 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

I think the problem is in the waterways and council approvals required for each venue. They all want a piece of pie to use their beach, so it gets costly to cover every location.
I would have thought Warilla would have been covered by Windang anyway along with Port Kembla, its all the same strip?Tim can you answer that one?
As for other locations like corrimal they sound good,
Whyner you still spraying the binbies at Warilla

peto
NSW, 406 posts
27 Aug 2010 1:31PM
Thumbs Up

I totally agree with Qwerty. The Gerroa thing is probably the most debated out of all the comps. When you hear some locals say how good the conditions were 20-30min up the road and the comp just sailed 1ft boat wake it is frustrating. Especially when it was extremely possible to sail the good stuff. I think Stehshelger had a good idea about checking the swell size in the morning before the wind kicked in, knowing that the wind is forecast anyway, and then choose the spot. There are plenty of locals with excellent knowledge of the area to make a good call. If though it didn't happen, there is no harm in trying, especially when Gerroa is definately under 2ft ect. This whole topic is why some members have not gone for a while, due to the fact each year this would get mentioned and then knocked. Current members talk about progression etc. Isn't this a form of progression instead of the same old...again I would like to take the time like Qwerty to say I am not having a dig at all to the organisers/volunteers. It would be frustrating to see these knid of comments I am sure, but they are just ideas to be considered.

dan berry
WA, 2562 posts
27 Aug 2010 12:40PM
Thumbs Up

The thing I find most amusing / confusing is this thread is about the first comp of the season. The location of the event IS port kembla which IS a new location. It was put foward by tim Knowles I think at the previous agm and voted in as the members WERE open for a change. So I don't really see where carl is coming from ( admittedly it was to replace birubi as the winter westerly comp but got moved back to early spring though). The only reason that gerroa is in the comp name is because the BBQ and accommodation is down that way as suggested by tim also. Everyone who actually attend these comps seems completely happy with it so where's the problem.

qwerty
NSW, 807 posts
27 Aug 2010 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

roberto said...

I think the problem is in the waterways and council approvals required for each venue. They all want a piece of pie to use their beach, so it gets costly to cover every location.

Definitely have those rules to obey, but there is still some flexibility there.
Especially when contest sites fall within the same zone of that council.
Waterways never seemed to have an issue with granting approval to multiple sites on the one certificate, or spanning a long stretch of coastline (but not Gerroa up to Coffs unfortunately).

Even though rounding up those documents is a bit of a pain, I still found them to be quite reasonable to deal with.
Dealing with the same person in the council and waterways each time is a bonus, plus there is years of history of requesting the same thing.

Still can't get around the extra cost? Bump up the association membership fee by $5, and tell everyone it now allows for an extra contest venue.
or get Waterways to sponsor an event in exchange for free approval.

But maybe they'll make everyone wear lifejackets.

qwerty
NSW, 807 posts
27 Aug 2010 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

dan berry said...

The thing I find most amusing / confusing is this thread is about the first comp of the season. The location of the event IS port kembla which IS a new location. It was put foward by tim Knowles I think at the previous agm and voted in as the members WERE open for a change. So I don't really see where carl is coming from ( admittedly it was to replace birubi as the winter westerly comp but got moved back to early spring though). The only reason that gerroa is in the comp name is because the BBQ and accommodation is down that way as suggested by tim also. Everyone who actually attend these comps seems completely happy with it so where's the problem.

Dan, there's no confusion. This isn't about Port Kembla at all. And like I said, thumbs up to that for giving it a go.

My point was following on from Whyner's comments about how Warilla is often going off when Gerroa may not be.
This discussion is centred around suggesting alternative NE locations other than Gerroa, and how good these locations are, and how many times they've been suggested in the past, and the pros and cons of trying them.

That's all.

Yes it strayed off topic from the original post, but what thread doesn't on here?

p.s I'm going to red-thumb you now

dan berry
WA, 2562 posts
27 Aug 2010 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

Personally I don't care where they have them as long as I get a weekend away I'm happy. I think gerroa gets the nod largely due to being a nice place to get away to, which in the case of having no wind and alot of families is a big bonus.
As far as " progression" of the sport goes, what the volunteers in the assoc do each year does a hell of a lot more to progress the sport than talking about it on a chat room

peto
NSW, 406 posts
27 Aug 2010 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

Gerroa is a beautiful place and to hold the 'night time' activities there is sensible. It's the fact the COMP (the actual wavesailing that is held in the water, not on a hot plate) does not seem to stray from there or the heads (in NE season not westerly season ie, PK comp). Hope you've been getting some wind Dan. We've had too much up here...

qwerty
NSW, 807 posts
27 Aug 2010 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

dan berry said...

As far as " progression" of the sport goes, what the volunteers in the assoc do each year does a hell of a lot more to progress the sport than talking about it on a chat room

Yes, but talking about it in a chat room is promoting the sport, and it costs nothing. Reap the benefits from wherever you can.

dan berry
WA, 2562 posts
27 Aug 2010 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

Know what you mean peto, seems to be a sh£€load of wind up Newcastle way this year, even more than normal

stehsegler
WA, 3469 posts
27 Aug 2010 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

the real irony is that Birubi has had better waves over the last few days than we have seen down here on the South Coast.

btw, what are they charging in fees per beach to hold a comp? Do they offer discounts if you expand the area.

Long Reef
SA, 582 posts
27 Aug 2010 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

Great to hear about new spots. I'm keen to try some NE spots in the Gong as the race to Gerroa and back in a day is pretty tight. I will take note of the suggestions!

One of the issues with a highly roving comp is that for it to work fees have to be paid for foreshore land and waterways access. If you cross different waterways areas and want to use different council parks/beaches then you incur more fees just to have the option. Relocating and resetting up is ok, but remember we are an entirely self funding club - and yes we do fill out lots of paperwork for grants etc.

AS for fees some councils charge $120 per day! After building up good relationships with other councils we don't pay fees. But in every case the club covers the waterways fees and insurance. BTW anyone want to guess what the premiums for a "high risk" sport requiring $10Million cover are!

At the end of the day picking a weekend with the best chance of 3 hours sailable wind with some waves is what we aim for. Plus safe at night, suitable accomodation, presentation venue and even family friendly. For EVENT 1 PortKembla/Windang with Gerroa as a light NE option give us a good chance of getting the planets to align at that time of year. But looks like a few other potential places may tick all the boxes.

(I remember a day at MAMBO a few years ago racing 90minutes down the coast, climbing down a steep stair case with gear, wobbling out thruough the river mouth to try to sail 6' surf in 12knots with no cover - them were the days!)

What really worries me is the need to have powered surf rescue available at each venue. Remember there are more kids and newer sailors now and a certain level of safety is legally manadatory. So a big request is that everyone is really vigilant when watching and scoring. I have checked in another favour to get the boat for event 1.

Finally, I have PM a few people with a great format for a comp that would suit expert level sailors.

see you on the water!

Tim Williams
NSW WA President

peto
NSW, 406 posts
28 Aug 2010 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tim Williams said...

Great to hear about new spots. I'm keen to try some NE spots in the Gong

Finally...

Tim I agree the Waterways issues is a drama. But, it would be great to have more flexability to move the venue.

As for having powered rescue (is this an insurance requirement?), when in the last say ten years has there been an incident where that sort of rescue has been required? Most of the NSWWA members and judges have enough common sense and skill to determine when to pull the pin if conditions are bad enough.

Brien
NSW, 172 posts
28 Aug 2010 10:40PM
Thumbs Up

This thread reads like something off the tea baggers forum.

peto
NSW, 406 posts
29 Aug 2010 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

Im prety sure peoples occupations don't need to come into this thread thanks Dan.

Last time I heard, a rescue board was all that was required. Obviously I am wrong. If you actually read my post I asked a question, third paragraph, first sentence, about the laws/requirements. Re-read the post. And by the way, I don't deal with civil liability you idiot.

dan berry
WA, 2562 posts
29 Aug 2010 10:28AM
Thumbs Up

I agree with brien. I'm out.
Ps I wasn't taking a swipe at your job as much as pointing out the fact there are plenty of stupid laws floating around such as the Assoc legally having to have a powered rescue vessel.

Long Reef
SA, 582 posts
29 Aug 2010 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

and back to Event 1,

We will have some new Hoodies for the 2010-11 season. The NSW WA design crew have been project runwaying some new designs and testing them out on Australia's next top model.....

OK they are green and they are a hoody with some logos. But they will look cool. No price increase this year, $40 bucks at Event 1.

Plus the usual t-shirt and some great new stickers for full season sign ups.

Btw did anyone sail Sat - looked like enough of a southerly (SE) with swell for Makaha or Newport reef to be working!

Cheers
Tim

stehsegler
WA, 3469 posts
30 Aug 2010 12:24AM
Thumbs Up

don't know about North Shore but here a video of some smaller waves from Windang last Saturday (sorry for the poor quality, was shot with my phone):

WindWarrior
NSW, 1019 posts
30 Aug 2010 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

Crash Landing said...

We will have some new Hoodies for the 2010-11 season. The NSW WA design crew have been project runwaying some new designs and testing them out on Australia's next top model.....

Is it the same 'design crew' who developed the series poster ?

Crash Landing
NSW, 1173 posts
30 Aug 2010 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Nope.

whyner
NSW, 762 posts
30 Aug 2010 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry for the huge issues I have caused, take a chill pill, was just pointing out a possible location close to the event base that is also good to sail.

Hope to see everyone at the event.

Finally, if we do get conditions like last year, I will be sailing Warilla.
Bye

peto
NSW, 406 posts
31 Aug 2010 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

It's all your fault Whyner..

qwerty
NSW, 807 posts
31 Aug 2010 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

whyner said...

Finally, if we do get conditions like last year, I will be sailing Warilla.

Maybe we should have a comp there. What do you think?

Crash Landing
NSW, 1173 posts
31 Aug 2010 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

The key thing is that I can see the NE'r whitecaping on Sydney Harbour. This means two things:

1. The season is (almost) here

2. If it's white caping in Sydney, it must be really windy at Warilla

stehsegler
WA, 3469 posts
31 Aug 2010 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

Crash Landing said...

The key thing is that I can see the NE'r whitecaping on Sydney Harbour. This means two things:

1. The season is (almost) here

2. If it's white caping in Sydney, it must be really windy at Warilla

just came back from a quick sail in Gerroa. 2 to 3 footish and 20 to 25 knts NE as predicted... quite a good size crew out on the water too.
However, had to briefly drive to Kiama and it does seem to be windier further North. Not so sure about wave height and haven't see the Heads... my guess is there is too much North in it.

whyner
NSW, 762 posts
14 Sep 2010 3:20PM
Thumbs Up

Its good to see you get some good conditions but here is some food for thought regarding what I was saying earlier, good 3-4 hours of over 20 knts....

I'm not trying to piss anyone off, just trying to provide a suggestion using some of my local experience.

BTW - I was stuck in Canberra working so I missed out completely.

Crash Landing
NSW, 1173 posts
14 Sep 2010 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

What I'm more interested in is this:

Friday
Dangerous conditions as S groundswell builds from 5 - 6ft+ early to 8 – 12ft south facing beaches into the afternoon and to 6 – 8ft+ open beaches. Larger 12 to 15ft surf at deepwater reefs. WIND: WSW 10 – 20 knots tending SW to SE during the afternoon.

If anyone heads out at PK can you take some pics please.

Good luck!

stehsegler
WA, 3469 posts
14 Sep 2010 2:27PM
Thumbs Up

Crash Landing said...

What I'm more interested in is this:
If anyone heads out at PK can you take some pics please.

Hm... forecast says: peaking at 15.4 feet with a 16 second period... holy smokes that's going to be absolutely mega big. I think the 13th of August was 12 feet with a 14 second period.

It looks like there will be a bit of SW around in the morning. I guess the real question will be where can you sail without risking sudden death.

Hey Dan. Up for a sail at the second bomby? I'll film/ take photos if you are up for it. Probably would need to get hold of a boat or jet ski though.

If all fails looks like the weekend should still have some decent size waves and a bit of southerly. Windang anyone?

dan berry
WA, 2562 posts
14 Sep 2010 2:48PM
Thumbs Up

whyner said...

Its good to see you get some good conditions but here is some food for thought regarding what I was saying earlier, good 3-4 hours of over 20 knts....

I'm not trying to piss anyone off, just trying to provide a suggestion using some of my local experience.

BTW - I was stuck in Canberra working so I missed out completely.

Yea but the norwester was suuuuuper consistent til 9 then the 35kt gust around 1pm allowed for some fun????
Does anyone know where the windmeyer is in gerroa? Seems to be in a hole with a cow playing with it.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Wave sailing

"NSWWA Event 1, Spring Bash, ILLAWARRA 11/12th Sept" started by Crash Landing