Forums > Windsurfing Wave sailing

Twin fins

Created by Greenroom > 9 months ago, 22 May 2008
rooster
WA, 243 posts
10 Jul 2008 4:53PM
Thumbs Up

Leech said...

Rider5' made himself a couple of larger twinnies and they go great! Not sure why no one else is bringing out bigger twinnies. Especially now that windsurfers are mostly fat old bastards.

Thats my point exactly Leech mate. Big guys CAN ride big wave boards and rip. Would love to have a go on the rider5 board Hearing good things bout them.
When you heading south again Leech

Leech
WA, 1933 posts
31 Jul 2008 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

Roberto Ricci discusses the RRD Twinzer

(2:22)

and he gives more detail in this one: surfers.se/Pages/tv.aspx?ID=1&playid=8520080728.flv
(10:23)

rooster
WA, 243 posts
31 Jul 2008 2:12PM
Thumbs Up

And rrd do a 99litre

Haircut
QLD, 6481 posts
1 Aug 2008 8:42AM
Thumbs Up

Iballa Moreno - a board you can ride as a twin.. or a single? hehe.....I getit! that has a clever double meaning

damn, i thought that was Boujmaa Guilloul can we please ban the use of steroids in windsurfing

junior freestyle
QLD, 546 posts
1 Aug 2008 3:10PM
Thumbs Up

haha awsum joke boys. not sure it would work well though u out three full size boxes in the tail and thats alot of weight right at the end of the board. the evil twin from starboard felt really heavy in the tail to me donno why.

jw

OESaustralia
SA, 280 posts
6 Aug 2008 12:13PM
Thumbs Up

OES AUSTRALIA Wave 09
Wave Pro
This is our single fin wave boards that can be used on both hi wind flat water and side shore wave conditions.There is 8 boards in the range
Wave Pro 98 L 244 cm x 61 cm x 98L
Wave Pro 90 L 239cm x 59 cm x 90L
Wave Pro 85 L 236cm x 58cm x 85L
Wave Pro 78 L 235cm x 56cm x 78L
Wave Pro 75 L 234 cm x 54cm x 75L
Wave Pro 69 L 231 cm x 52 cm x 69L
Wave Pro 67 L 229 cm x 50 cm x 67L
Wave Pro 59 L223.5cm x 49 cm x 59 L

These wave boards have a continuoes curved rocker that allows greater speed and top end without any loss of control.
We have also shorten the planshape to aid faster turning and give greater control in the air for jumping and looping.
The rail height has also been lowered and given greater tuck in the front of the board to give the sailor more confidance that the rail will not catch and have greater holding power in the bottom turn with the thinner rails.
The bottom shape is a flat in the nose to a progressive vee with a double tail concave.The flat in the nose , combined with the soft rails gives earlier planing, better pop over white water and greater turning off the top of the wave as the the board can redirect it self easier without any thing catching farward of the mast with the water alouded to enter and exit out of this area easier.
The double tail concave give the board three tail rockers with more curve in the centre for easier turning and a slightly flater rocker in the bottom of the concave for faster release of water for greater speed.
This also deepens the vee in the centre for faster rail to rail transition without having too deep of vee in the tail which would slow the boards ability to plane.
The construction is again our Carbon/ Kevlar/ Corecell which is super light but bomb proof.!

Twin Fin
We have been building Twin Fins for the last 4 seasons to give our serious wave sailors a fast but super loose board.
There is again 8 models in the range which have the same outlines , lenghts and widths as our Wave Pro range.
However after months of R&D in Australia , Maui and the Oregan Coast with our team riders Russ Faurot, Harri Rai and Tom Burlingame we have redesigned the bottom ands rail shapes and fins
The twin fin bottom has been changed to a single to double concave botton shape with no vee and the rails height and tuck have also been reduced to give the boards more drive both off the bottom and top turns.
The concave bottom engages the rail harder which helps the smaller twin fins hold better in the bottom turn.
The twin fin loosen the board so you can attack the wave face more vertical then single fins. This then give you more control on the wave face as you can turn easier and stay in the pocket of the wave longer and not out run the wave face was you can do with a single fin.
We are currently using two differnt type of CNC G10 fin on these boards, both are 5.5'' but have differant planshape and foils. For bigger waves we have a more upright thicker foil fin to slow the board down and give it more holding power with the thicker ,curiver foils. The second has more raked shape and a thinner foil for greater speed and and slashier turns, these are are also more suited to bump/jump and smaller less powerful onshore waves.
The construction is our Carbon /Kevlar / Corecell for great strenght and lightest.

Haircut
QLD, 6481 posts
6 Aug 2008 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

is that you brucie?

WindWarrior
NSW, 1019 posts
6 Aug 2008 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

A mate of mine has one of last years OES Twinnies.
It was around the 98 litre mark and he certainly rates it for a big boys toy.

When the Q-man was ridding OES a couple of seasons back he was absolutely ripping... mind you the Q-mantis could rip on a house brick if he could attach a mast foot to it.

By all accounts, good boards with some good old Aussie input !

stehsegler
WA, 3466 posts
6 Aug 2008 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

How much are the OES board retailing for? ... are they being sold through shops I do I get them from OES direct?

JESUS
WA, 150 posts
6 Aug 2008 11:41PM
Thumbs Up

From the Posting Guidlines

"7. No Advertising"

"Not a site sponsor, but want to promote your goodies?

You'll find your local council has laws saying that it's illegal for you to stick posters and advertising on council property - "Bill posters will be prosecuted". Most businesses accept this and don't put their posters and stickers all over signs, traffic lights, bridges, tunnels, etc.

Please do not plaster your adverts/promos in/around the site - please contact us via the feedback page to find out how we can work out together to find a solution for you."

laurie
WA, 3848 posts
7 Aug 2008 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

WindWarrior said...
Or have you simply appointed yourself as site moderator/Nazi

Nazi is a bit strong! Crikey. Weren't they responsible for killing millions of people?

And some of you wonder why the sport is in decline.

I must be under a rock? I thought windsurfing in Australia is travelling along quite well?

Regards OES; leave it with me - everybody gets a "oops - didn't read the T&C" (lets face it, most don't when they're gagging to promote product on their first post!)

JESUS
WA, 150 posts
7 Aug 2008 11:55AM
Thumbs Up

As your aware others have to pay to advertise on this site. Like all things in society there are rules and regulations so that our society runs fairly smoothly, It’s not that hard for a newbie to take a few minutes to read the rules. I just re quoted them as to educate. As for Nazi and serial sniper well that’s your call. Heres my call your being a bit of a Drama Queen, now go take some valium( the 1960’s houswifes chill out pill), put you feet up and watch some day time soapy.

JESUS
WA, 150 posts
7 Aug 2008 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

Oh and I'll also pray for you.

Haircut
QLD, 6481 posts
7 Aug 2008 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

i didn't mean anything by the brucie post, i just thought we were sposed to say that to new people

Mark _australia
WA, 22348 posts
7 Aug 2008 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

Haircut said...

i didn't mean anything by the brucie post, i just thought we were sposed to say that to new people

No, if Brucie wrote it:

These wave boards have a more continuoes curved rocker than my Bic Samba that allows greater speeds and top end without any loss of control in nasty Boston chop. I can plane mine from 5kn to 55kn but I find downhaul is the issue, what do you think?
They have also shorten the planshape to aid faster turning and give greater control in the air for jumping and looping. I have trouble with my loops and think it may be the fin. Does a shorter chord enable the sailor to push off the lip of the chop hard like a pro, causing more pops?
The rail height has also been lowered and given greater tuck in the front of the board to give the sailor more confidance that the rail will not catch and have greater holding power in the bottom turn with the thinner rails. Though, my rail never catches since I have greased it. Dissimilar greasing regimes such as mine, where the rails are greased but the centreline of the bottom is not, results in good straight tracking but no rail catching. I find silicone spray is good, who used drylube from Walmart or is it better from a yachting supplier?
They say the bottom shape is a flat in the nose to a progressive vee with a double tail concave.The flat in the nose , combined with the soft rails gives earlier planing, better pop over white water and greater turning off the top of the wave as the the board can redirect it self easier without any thing catching farward of the mast with the water alouded to enter and exit out of this area easier. I disagree as in the 1990's we did this with mixed results. Mostly I find modern board designers have no clue.

WindWarrior
NSW, 1019 posts
7 Aug 2008 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

Apology to all German & Jewish folk.
I have removed the post.

Donning flame suit now.
serial snipers please continue.

Jesus were you a hall monitor by any chance before you became omnipotent ?
I guess you must have skipped Sunday school the day they taught spelling and grammar... or maybe you spent too much time reading up on rules and regulations so you could pull up the vengeful and merciless who dare to flaunt the posting rules.
Give yourself a pat on the back... you're a true champion of the people.
You're obviously the messiah and I'm a naughty boy.

There I was thinking people were interested in information relating to this post and would have found the info 'enlightening'

Will 3 Hail Mary's do ?

junior freestyle
QLD, 546 posts
7 Aug 2008 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

man u guys talk some **** i let u off cause its winter though hey kev cya in 2 weeks for birubi good to catch up again

stehsegler
WA, 3466 posts
7 Aug 2008 3:47PM
Thumbs Up

I think WindWarrior was referring to site Nazi in the same way as Elaine referred to the Soup Nazi in Seinfeld.

While the OES post seems like advertising I think there was a post prior were someone asked about them...

JESUS
WA, 150 posts
10 Aug 2008 8:32AM
Thumbs Up

Apology to all German & Jewish folk.
I have removed the post.Thanks after all I'm king of the Jews

Donning flame suit now.not the Satan suit
serial snipers please continue.they will

Jesus were you a hall monitor by any chance before you became omnipotent ?No just a chippy
I guess you must have skipped Sunday school the day they taught spelling and grammar... Yep or maybe you spent too much time reading up on rules and regulations No did a lot of fishing so you could pull up the vengeful and merciless who dare to flaunt the posting rules.
Give yourself a pat on the back...OK will do you're a true champion of the people.Thanks
You're obviously the messiah and I'm a naughty boy.Yep you said it

There I was thinking people were interested in information relating to this post wrongand would have found the info 'enlightening'

Will 3 Hail Mary's do ?better make it 6, 3 extra for trying to sell tshirts with an upside down logo on it

It's Sunday off to church now.

WINDY MILLER
WA, 3183 posts
10 Aug 2008 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

OESaustralia said...

OES AUSTRALIA Wave 09
Wave Pro
This is our single fin wave boards that can be used on both hi wind flat water and side shore wave conditions.There is 8 boards in the range
Wave Pro 98 L 244 cm x 61 cm x 98L
Wave Pro 90 L 239cm x 59 cm x 90L
Wave Pro 85 L 236cm x 58cm x 85L
Wave Pro 78 L 235cm x 56cm x 78L
Wave Pro 75 L 234 cm x 54cm x 75L
Wave Pro 69 L 231 cm x 52 cm x 69L
Wave Pro 67 L 229 cm x 50 cm x 67L
Wave Pro 59 L223.5cm x 49 cm x 59 L

These wave boards have a continuoes curved rocker that allows greater speed and top end without any loss of control.
We have also shorten the planshape to aid faster turning and give greater control in the air for jumping and looping.
The rail height has also been lowered and given greater tuck in the front of the board to give the sailor more confidance that the rail will not catch and have greater holding power in the bottom turn with the thinner rails.
The bottom shape is a flat in the nose to a progressive vee with a double tail concave.The flat in the nose , combined with the soft rails gives earlier planing, better pop over white water and greater turning off the top of the wave as the the board can redirect it self easier without any thing catching farward of the mast with the water alouded to enter and exit out of this area easier.
The double tail concave give the board three tail rockers with more curve in the centre for easier turning and a slightly flater rocker in the bottom of the concave for faster release of water for greater speed.
This also deepens the vee in the centre for faster rail to rail transition without having too deep of vee in the tail which would slow the boards ability to plane.
The construction is again our Carbon/ Kevlar/ Corecell which is super light but bomb proof.!

Twin Fin
We have been building Twin Fins for the last 4 seasons to give our serious wave sailors a fast but super loose board.
There is again 8 models in the range which have the same outlines , lenghts and widths as our Wave Pro range.
However after months of R&D in Australia , Maui and the Oregan Coast with our team riders Russ Faurot, Harri Rai and Tom Burlingame we have redesigned the bottom ands rail shapes and fins
The twin fin bottom has been changed to a single to double concave botton shape with no vee and the rails height and tuck have also been reduced to give the boards more drive both off the bottom and top turns.
The concave bottom engages the rail harder which helps the smaller twin fins hold better in the bottom turn.
The twin fin loosen the board so you can attack the wave face more vertical then single fins. This then give you more control on the wave face as you can turn easier and stay in the pocket of the wave longer and not out run the wave face was you can do with a single fin.
We are currently using two differnt type of CNC G10 fin on these boards, both are 5.5'' but have differant planshape and foils. For bigger waves we have a more upright thicker foil fin to slow the board down and give it more holding power with the thicker ,curiver foils. The second has more raked shape and a thinner foil for greater speed and and slashier turns, these are are also more suited to bump/jump and smaller less powerful onshore waves.
The construction is our Carbon /Kevlar / Corecell for great strenght and lightest.

keep up the good work OES....your boards look the goods....need more of your breed in oz

WINDY MILLER
WA, 3183 posts
10 Aug 2008 3:18PM
Thumbs Up

Greenroom said...

swoosh said...

Iballa Moreno from PWA Gran Canaria

a board you can ride as a twin.. or a single?

Or a triple!

YEAH....triples are DEFO the way TO GO......smokin.

rooster
WA, 243 posts
10 Aug 2008 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

Im with you Windy Miller the OES boards are NICE Glad someone is talking about the subject topic again

OESaustralia
SA, 280 posts
11 Aug 2008 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

The new twin fins are here to stay ,as they give you another option in wave boards.
The new shorter lenghts ,curvier planshapes and G10 CNC milled fins gives these boards tighter turning ability and control in all wave conditions.
It all depends on what you want , and if this suits your sailing style.
If you are more interested in blasting around on flat water then stick with a single fin.
The fins on a Twin Fin are positioned closer to the rail and the inside fin more upright once the board is rolled over in a turn, you don't have to put so much pressure with your back foot to keep them holding the rail in the wave face on bottom turns compaired with a single fin. A single fins which are deeper and are more on its side in turns , this cause more lift as the fin is trying to hydroplan itself out of the water. This is why it starts bouncing and then spins out with single fins in high speed turns. For years sailors have had to draw out their turns or run straight down the line to control this excess speed. The twins now allow you to turn tighter and get more turns on a wave, as you can go back up the wave face more vertical and then turn off the top and then drop down the wave face again more vertical again setting up a faster / controlled bottom turn to go back up the face again.
The extra control of the Twin fins allows for flatter faster rockers,slighty wider mid points and tails and higher volume wave boards to be used which increase the sailing range of these wave boards.
It is now possiable to build a 90l to 100l wave board the can turn as well as a smaller volume board.
So make sure you give them a try this summer as they might just improve your wave sailing.
Better end up now as I might be struck down by a bolt of lighting for advertising by Jesus!

rooster
WA, 243 posts
12 Aug 2008 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

Love your work Pete

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
13 Aug 2008 10:07AM
Thumbs Up

Well done Pete,
Long time no see.
Have you moved to Maui?
Hey me and a couple of SA boys have been wavesailing in very light winds eg. 10 knots using short boards with volume around 120 litres. With the shoter wider boards you can acually wavesail in almost no wind as long as the direction is good. We started out on SUP boards but then went short i.e 235 so they turn better. Just a concept I wanted to tell you about that may become popular in the future, especially in the eastern states.
Regards,
Scotty

OESaustralia
SA, 280 posts
13 Aug 2008 1:10PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Scott
Yeh, its been a while, you will have to come over to the West coast more often once the seabreeze kick in this summer.
I set up a second factory on Maui to give me all year round testing. Just got back from 3 month there, half of Adelaide sailors were there, Dean Riles and co. We had a bqq with 18 Aussie just before we left. Rik and Maya from Sailwest stay along side of us for 3 weeks also.Plan to get some demo/ Rental boards happening up there ASAP, so guy can come up to Maui and test the new season boards while its winter here, before the Summer starts here.
I have built a 237cm x 66cm 120L Twin fin last year to test , for when we travel up to Walkers and there no wind but swell.
I had to put some deeper 6.5'' fins on it for the wider tail but it works great.
I built this board after we begain to use one of my Xcross 250cmx 77cmx 135l in the waves with a single fin. This work OK but the tail width and deep 34cm single was a bit of a hand full to turn. You had to sail around with your back foot out of the straps on the wave then move it closer to the rail you want to turn with to get to come around.
So I shaped up this smaller Twin fin and it works great for low wind / swell condition.

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
13 Aug 2008 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

I ma about to make one myself in a quad. 235 X 68. I recently learnt alot about how a sup turns and I am going to partly use this in my design. I think the quad will work well on a board that is pure wave riding board, especilly that size.
I let you know how it goes.

OESaustralia
SA, 280 posts
13 Aug 2008 11:26PM
Thumbs Up

Let me know how you get on, as I have thought about this design myself.
Quads wouldn't work for any other boards because of the excess drag they would be just too slow to plan.
But with these boards we don't need to worry about getting them planing in super light winds.
Just sloging out then catching the wave in.I personally never used a large sail on my 120l twin, 5.2m or 5.5m max as there is enought floation in the boards. So once you catch the wave the smaller sail are easier to handle .
The Quads should slow you down on the wave face, which is not a bad thing to happen, as this will make the turn more controlable with the wider tails.
I have found this with the thicker foiled twin fins I have tested. They hold you up on the pocket of the wave face longer instead of out running it.We tested them in Mast + outter Sprecs on Maui in march.It just slowed the board down enought to keep everything in control to really attack this size wave.The down side is you have to get yourself in a position to take off earlier as you haven't got as much speed and tend to fall off the back of waves easier.
But once you get your head around ''it good to be slow'' these large boards can open up alot more time wavesailing in lighter winds.

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
14 Aug 2008 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

Actually Pete,
My experiences with quad surfboards, I have found them to be very quick which I guess sounds weird cos of the extra fins. They feel and work very similar to twin fins but provide a little extra drive. I think the fin thickness you mentioned is a much greater factor to speed than how many fins you have except for something you find in thrusters. When surfing a thruster, when you loose speed, you have to tick tack to change the water flow accros the fins because the angle of the side fins is different to the centre fin. This does not seem to happen in twins and quads. You can also change the amount of drive by the fin placement of the quads. I have a burton quad tow board thats the fasted, most drivey and loosest board I have ever ridden. Its got it all......

With some extra R&D, I am sure quads could become the new standard on all wavesailing boards also. It will just take the effort that has been put in like recently on twin fins to refine the board designs.

Rider5
WA, 567 posts
14 Aug 2008 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

OESaustralia said...

I have built a 237cm x 66cm 120L Twin fin last year to test , for when we travel up to Walkers and there no wind but swell.
I had to put some deeper 6.5'' fins on it for the wider tail but it works great.
So I shaped up this smaller Twin fin and it works great for low wind / swell condition.

Interesting!
About 7 years ago I shaped a 59cm wide twin fin with a 44cm wide tail for the lighter days I went twin fin as I wanted the fins closer to the rail with such a wide tail (well it was considered wide back then) the board worked a treat, my current board is a 60cm wide twin and I was thinking of shaping a 62cm wide one for the ultra light days, but now I'm thinking I could probably go wider after reading about your 66cm wide one.
What tail width is your 66cm wide twin? and can you post any pics it or of your 6.5"fins?

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Wave sailing

"Twin fins" started by Greenroom