Forums > Windsurfing Wave sailing

Twin fins

Created by Greenroom > 9 months ago, 22 May 2008
OESaustralia
SA, 280 posts
15 Aug 2008 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

Heres some photo's of a 235cm x 66cm twin fin with a 17''/ 43cm tail
As you can see I have put heaps of volume in the nose so I can get the maxium amount of floation out of this size board.
With my weight at 90 kg I need this extra width for sub 15 knot winds. So dont be too worry about going wider in the mid point ,as the fins on the rail will do most of the turning work for you.

Rider5
WA, 567 posts
15 Aug 2008 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

Cool pics thanks, yeah looks chunky up front.
This is the outline I had drawn up but I will be changing that soon.

OESaustralia
SA, 280 posts
16 Aug 2008 7:33AM
Thumbs Up

Here the only photo of our 5.5'' fins I got until the new website goes later its month.
Your outline looks good,keep up the good work as us Aussie shapers still have lots to contribute to the international sailboard industry.

russh
SA, 3025 posts
19 Aug 2008 9:08AM
Thumbs Up

Would a big freestyle board (112l -68cm) with a twinnie set up work better in waves than its current single powerbox - slides like a mad thing trying to bottom turn too hard - but floats out nicely and gets goin pretty easy?

how hard would it be to convert one - or is are they just too flat and a waste of time

Mark _australia
WA, 22348 posts
19 Aug 2008 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

I am thinking the same question.... I've got an old Carve123 that may work well with two 6.5's ???????
Way I figure, the rail is soft enough and there is just enough rocker that they turn OK, just a very long bottom turn and no looseness. Can you loosen one up with twins and maybe while I'm at it I'd just give it a couple mm more tail rocker?

Rider5
WA, 567 posts
19 Aug 2008 4:32PM
Thumbs Up

Check out my my pics of a single to twin conversion.
www.seabreeze.com.au/Members/Profile/Details.aspx?member=Rider5
I think there might not be enough tail kick in those bigger boards to work with the fins.

Mark _australia
WA, 22348 posts
19 Aug 2008 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah I saw yours. Was thinking about ripping the box out, inserting D'cell block/s, then using a speedfile sander (like a looong planer with sandpaper if you haven't seen one) to just give it that little bit more tail kick... like 1mm... before I glass it all. Needs a big delam repair on top anyway so it will be under the knife for a while so why not

I figure the fins' toe-in, plus a tiny little more tail kick will give me just enough extra looseness to make it a light wind wave?

OESaustralia
SA, 280 posts
22 Aug 2008 3:22AM
Thumbs Up

While you can convert a single fin over to a twin fin, we haven't had much success.
As the bottoms and rail shape have to be differant to get the twin fin to work at their max performance.

elmo
WA, 8723 posts
6 Sep 2008 11:21PM
Thumbs Up

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
7 Sep 2008 12:24AM
Thumbs Up

HOLY SH1T ELMO!!!
Watching that vid made my freckle invert

elmo
WA, 8723 posts
7 Sep 2008 8:35AM
Thumbs Up

Greenroom said...

HOLY SH1T ELMO!!!
Watching that vid made my freckle invert

Wouldn't stop you waxing your board though to go out for a paddle

How was the speed Shane Dorrian came flying out of the barrel when he got knocked of his board, and the nice little chop hop over the step at shipsterns.

hardie
WA, 4082 posts
7 Sep 2008 8:41AM
Thumbs Up

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
10 Sep 2008 10:33AM
Thumbs Up

There you go, i knew quads would feature in all of this....

starboarder
QLD, 187 posts
10 Sep 2008 5:08PM
Thumbs Up

can anyone give us the verdict on twin fin early planning, i read some contrary reports.. is twin fin only suitable for 25+ knots how about 20 or even 15+ knots?

is there such thing as all round twin fin board on the market now?

marco gribi
WA, 196 posts
10 Sep 2008 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Starboarder,

I can only comment on the Starboard Evil Twin 74 (wood carbon edition) and in my opinion it planes just as early as my Evo 75, if not even a little earlier.

I am 79 kg (bit of extra winter fat) and in a solid 20knts on a 5.6m I was zipping around very comfortably. I did notice that I was a bit more agile than others around me and especially going upwind. This is where the ET blew me away and how easy it was to get upwind.

Cheers

Marco

Diggers
WA, 42 posts
10 Sep 2008 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

Here in Wellington, NZ, the guy who runs the main windsurfing shop here has, after heaps of demoing, decided to only stock twin fins this year! They get great feedback from any of the local crew who tries them. We get mostly cross on conditions, and the word is that they have the edge on the single fins in these conditions.

That's a big call for a shop owner to make eh?

Paul
WA, 346 posts
10 Sep 2008 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

I was never really interested in twins as I had only ever ridden Bluejuice's twinny boards which were too big for me. So I thought "whatever" about the need for twinnies. I also remember well the old twins from the nineties.
I also thought the new stuff would be all fad and hype.

Having now tried the new models a couple of times I am convinced that there is no point to a single fin unless you are in real big fast waves (not that know much about that) or doing alot of flatter bump jump sailing on your wave board.
For smaller, junkier (perth,lano style) waves you don't need anything else. they are so good for gumby sailors like me and so nimble in short radius turns that anyone can ride them and enjoy it.

I have spoken with four buyers of twinnies in the last week and they are all stoked.
If the guy in the pic like them then they must be okay as he is very pickie.
Eviltwin 74 -5.0m

peto
NSW, 406 posts
11 Sep 2008 1:12AM
Thumbs Up

I would have thought twin fins were meant for the more cross off fast DTL radical wavesailing and not mushy sh!t waves. Has starboard (and the rest of the big companies) just made a 'twin fin' for the everyday user to copy the hype or are these boards genuine DTL ripping boards. Im sceptical of all the brands doing this twin fin stuff apart from Quatro... Do these companies really know what they are doing or just jumping on the bandwagon. Twin fins were tried years ago but never took off like now. Is it because Kauli started using them (which suits HIS style) and done well on the tour that everyone thinks they are the stuff?? There are so many good single fin waveboards out there that I think would suit Aussie conditions better than the twins. Only because I believe the twins to be suited for the more epic highend scale of wavesailing which we get less of in Aus...so whats the go are they the goods??

Diggers
WA, 42 posts
11 Sep 2008 4:35AM
Thumbs Up

Well, as the conditions we get here in Wellington are mostly cross-on, and the main shop owner is only stocking Twins this year, based on all the feedback from the local demos, you'd have to say they have something special to offer in cross-on, crappier conditions.

dan berry
WA, 2562 posts
11 Sep 2008 5:46AM
Thumbs Up

Ive been riding a Jp 68ltr twinny for the last 4 mnths, being the only board Ive had has meant I ve been using it in a very wide range of conditions, heres a couple of thing Ive found
1. They are no slower than any single fin waveboard ( Ive used it in flat water and sailed alongside guys on freeride boards with no obvious difference in speed).
2. They work well in bigger surf and at high speed on the wave, Used them in mast high windang. Plenty of drive and bite out of the bottom turn and unbeatable off the top.
3. They tend to glide onto the plane as opposed to pop on like a single fin, however, I used a 76 twin on the weekend and found this sensation to be less profound than on the smaller board.
4. Great fun in smaller surf due to the tighter turning arc.
5 They head upwind just like any other waveboard
Im still waiting to try it in cross on, so have no coment there ( kind of sailed onshore last week but it was hard to tell in 12kts bolt onshore)
My general opinion of the twinfins Ive been riding is Ilove them. I dont understand all the skepticism, essentially they are just like any other waveboard but looser, which in my book is a bonus. Im sure there a hell of alot of demos floating around at the moment, why not go down to your local shop and try one, and while your there have a look at the different approach all the brands have taken to the twins. In a nutshell anyone thats likes a loose waveboard should give a twin a try, why would you not??

peto
NSW, 406 posts
11 Sep 2008 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

So dan you rate them as a good eastcoast board? The reason Im asking questions is maybe I wanna get one one day but dont wanna pay $2000 for something I wont use. The way you speak about them sounds like they would be sweet. Especially for a place like Gerroa or up here at Birdie Beach with their tight turning ability. I know MA is keen to have a look at one so we might have a sniff around the shops and check em out. Do many blokes down your way ride them?

dan berry
WA, 2562 posts
11 Sep 2008 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

So far me and matt cliff are the only ones that I know of that have them, matt got his in maui and I got a pre production a few months back. We both love the twins. The rest of the shipments got in last week, so Im pretty sure be on the water real quick.
As far as an eastcoast board goes, I think they are great ( at least the ones Ive ridden are), Ide heavily recomend you try a few different brands though as the all seem to have a way different approach to incorporating the two fins into the design. I guess its kinda like single fin boards in a way, they dont all work the same and some are better than others for what your wanting to do. They are definately looser though.
Ide put money on it that MA will end up on one, he'll love the top turn.

Brien
NSW, 172 posts
11 Sep 2008 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

When will single fins be the next big thing? Or will twinnies stay around?

peto
NSW, 406 posts
11 Sep 2008 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

Here, Here Brien....hows work been? You still in Mkvlle.

qwerty
NSW, 807 posts
11 Sep 2008 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

I think a board with no fins is the next big thing.

peto
NSW, 406 posts
11 Sep 2008 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

Your an idiot qwerty...how would that even work??!

qwerty
NSW, 807 posts
11 Sep 2008 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

hey, all it will take is for Kauli to rip on it and everyone will buy one.

qwerty
NSW, 807 posts
11 Sep 2008 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

And be careful who you call an idiot. There will be a lot of guns pointed at you in a few weeks!

whyner
NSW, 762 posts
11 Sep 2008 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

qwerty's onto it.. check this out

CJW
NSW, 1718 posts
11 Sep 2008 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

I tried the no fin edition once after snapping a fin, hilarity did not ensue!

I'm going to work outside the square and say centreboards! We need centreboards....think of the upwind potential. Not sure the turning would be that crash hot though.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Wave sailing

"Twin fins" started by Greenroom