Forums > Windsurfing   Western Australia

Cervantes 2010

Created by snides8 > 9 months ago, 21 Nov 2010
snides8
WA, 1730 posts
21 Nov 2010 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

cheers to Reg , Windsurfing Perth and crew for another top speed weekend at Cervantes.
some pics from the front line..
caution some pics depict windsurfing injuries!!

lao shi
SA, 1293 posts
21 Nov 2010 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

Nice pics Snides!
Hope you heal up soon Bender!

Mark _australia
WA, 22344 posts
21 Nov 2010 8:01PM
Thumbs Up

Get any wind on Sat?

I see Gero got 20kn so must have been OK at Cervantes?

I was going to attend on wave gear (biggest 100L FSW and 6.1m) and glad I didn't! Not the usual 30kn up there I'm guessing

Bender
WA, 2223 posts
21 Nov 2010 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

yep gotta say thanks to wsp, another fun event. was on the 8.4m so it wasnt really strong but it did fil in l late. had another blast today on the big gear. ttomorrow is looking ok for a wave sail with any luck

THe gash is pretty ugly but still looks better than snides!

snides8
WA, 1730 posts
21 Nov 2010 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

Mark _australia said...

Get any wind on Sat?

I see Gero got 20kn so must have been OK at Cervantes?

I was going to attend on wave gear (biggest 100L FSW and 6.1m) and glad I didn't! Not the usual 30kn up there I'm guessing

Here is a link to some results
Claude was on a 7.0 and was the fastest
i was on a 7.8 and was maxed out at times
gpsteamchallenge.com.au/sailor_session/show?date=2010-11-20&team=10

elmo
WA, 8723 posts
21 Nov 2010 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome day (again)

My post from the teams challenge(long winded as usual) about the day

The Cervantes (True Believers) Speed Challenge

Huge thanks to Reg and Windsurfing WA for another top event

The forecast was shyte, top wind speeds on BOM 10knots at it's gustiest, Windguru forecast a rockin 12 knots @ 1700hrs (good enough) so with a SUP (oh the humiliation) packed in the trailer I left home @ 6.45, got over the cut chucked a U turn an headed back home as I'd forgotten what would be a very important part of the kit for the day, my chair.

Left home again a 0700, 3 and a bit hours later I arrive at Cervantes, jeeze that new road cuts some considerable time of the trip, got down to the point just before 11 to find the carpark filling and the beach eroded right up to the carpark and a p00fteenth of wind, still it looked beautiful.

About 1/2 and hr later a strange sensation was felt, about a min later we realized it was breeze, so in a flurry of rigging we hit the beach, Tom R was the first out, followed by Evets both didn't seem to be getting much breeze, on the shore there was nothing, which wasn't to distressing as we were standing in that warm beautiful blue water although around Bender it was a bit yellow, after a while we realized that what little was there had disappeared so we put the gear back on the beach wandered back to my trailer opened the tail gate set up the chair and had a rest.

Evets came back to the shore, Stoked with his 4.? knots from his session feeling a bit cocky that he had us cold for the day (little did he know Bender could do 5+ in the car park on foot), the carpark kept filling and the Banter kept flowing Evets was still giving us Grief when Reg said if he had a GPS (Knowing he doesn't have one) he could beat that speed on a SUP, being a sadistic prick I offered him mine, Reg Toddled of grabbed his SUP and GPSSPEEDSUPing was born

Now at this stage I would like to report that Evets was able to uphold the honor of speed sailors everywhere, but no Reg opened up a huge can of whoopass by getting a low 5knots The challenge was on

Bender talked the talk, brought out his custom pink carbon SUP paddle, but couldn't walk the walk, Herr Snider and Lady Cheryl went out on their Bohemouth supersized SUP's (the smallest people have the biggest boards???) the smug little git then goes out and pulls a 6+, that little f'ken evil pixie RB SRM scum bag had whooped us again and you don't half reckon that the elder statesman didn't half let us know about it

We won't mention about how unco the hero of this story looked but if you want an example find a video of Dancing Elmo and imagine that standing and falling of (regularly) a board

After a while a hint of wind came in again so once again we sacrificed Evets who went out again this time with Bendyman, Hmm still not much apart from a chance to give Bender some grief so I paddled out him him and went to race him, bender was getting desperate as I hadn't fallen of and was actually going faster so he decides to play dirty and run into me, as he has bumped me, his boom had come into reach, it was then I remembered him saying that you can tip someone of their board if you grab the end of their boom[}:)] out at this very moment Bender remembers telling me this helpful bit of information, let me tell you it is extremely effective didn't even wobble on the SUP as i nicely deposited one Bender in the water, unfortunately Bender had an effective retaliation by grabbing my board and rolling it for me ker-pow and ker-splatt Muppet down. Evets had somehow managed to get 18knots on the dial and was quite happily letting us all know about it out knowing that us fat bastards weren't planing yet

Claude decided to have a go on a SUP ( I don't think he's done it before) and in typical Claude fashion decided to paddle 1km offshore out to the island

A couple more trial runs during the afternoon, the Reg a fantastic idea, time to sacrifice a Grommet, chucked young Will on the SLW with his 5.?m sail and sent him out, low and behold the breeze started picking up to a rocking 7knots, ok full grommet sacrifice put the 7.8m RS6 on the board, give the lad his due he got it going hooked in, footstraps and all even managed to uphaul it once (hard az this grom), the sacrifice worked the wind kicked up to 11, Evets and Snides (on benders kit) were both planing out there, Got my kit back of Will and headed out

It didn't take long for the rest of the crew to notice that the game was onl there was a huge flurry of activity on the beach with people all rigging quicker than they have ever rigged before, the game was on, the wind had come in about 3/4's of an hour before windguru had call it,

The ladies got the radar gun out and the comp began. The game was on with everyone hammering in towards the shore, through the chop and other sailors for the next 2 hours

Claude took out the overall honors for the day

Can't remember who came in second but then again who can (apart from the guy who came in second who told Claude just before he packed up that he had the best speed)

Cheryl got the most proved Lady

Miles got the most improved Male

Everyone had a top night and meal at the sportsmans club afterwards, including the guy who came second

Cheryl, there are certain jokes which are just better not being known

A huge thanks to Reg for the (true believers) Cervantes speed challenge another great day

Not bad for a day with no wind forecast

MissTral
WA, 11 posts
22 Nov 2010 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

A few photos of the action (once the wind started blowing)

and then the wind kept on blowing....

stringer
WA, 703 posts
23 Nov 2010 11:30AM
Thumbs Up

snides8 said...

i guess the skin didnt quite bend enough... might have to call you slasher instead...

did nurse radis break out the oxy welder to fix u up?

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Western Australia

"Cervantes 2010" started by snides8