Forums > Windsurfing   Western Australia

Windsurfing video from 1984 Swan River

Created by wally sailor > 9 months ago, 7 Jun 2013
wally sailor
WA, 68 posts
7 Jun 2013 12:48AM
Thumbs Up

The video is an old friend, Warren he was representing Canada at Windsurfer One Design World Title hosted by Nedlands Yacht Club in the Swan River.

Thought you might be interested in gear we used back then. The gear I learnt on was even more archaic in that the boom was made of wood and sloppy on the mast.

WindsurferOD
72 posts
7 Jun 2013 5:26AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome video wally. Great to see people having fun windsurfing, whatever boards they're on.
Sorry if we missed it, are you there too? Read about your new gear in the other post, hope it's even more fun than the wallys are.

Ride
WA, 236 posts
7 Jun 2013 9:08AM
Thumbs Up

Fantastic video thank-you

Bender
WA, 2224 posts
7 Jun 2013 9:58AM
Thumbs Up

Yep back when WA was windy

premo
WA, 293 posts
7 Jun 2013 10:14AM
Thumbs Up

Wow, impressive, i was learning to windsurf on gear like that in the late 90's in Poland:-)

felixdcat
WA, 3519 posts
7 Jun 2013 11:00AM
Thumbs Up

Those wre the days!

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
7 Jun 2013 12:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
felixdcat said..

Those wre the days!

+1

I was only thinking the other day the great social fun we had with these things, a few mates from work, wives and girlfriends, beer and bbq after and it was nearly always windy enough.

Thanks for sharing Wally

Maddog49
WA, 102 posts
7 Jun 2013 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

I also learnt to sail on a Wally with those huge floppy triangle sails, no battens and a boom you tied on.
A whole group of us from W.A.I.T (Curtin University) in 1983 use to head down to Melville Waters and sail across the river to UWA then continued to the Brewery across to Como and back to Melville Waters. We played around all morning and then when the seabreeze kicked in we changed to the smaller boards. I use to sail all day. Those were the days. Now I am a wind snob and don't even head down unless the breeze is over 15knots.
Now that I am nearing 50 (still think I am 21) I am thinking of breaking out the big boards and just cruise on the river. It was fun and peacefull, just what I need to recharge myself from the stresses of work.
Thank you Wally Sailor for reminding us of the simpler times.
There was also a Pentathon held on the river every year for a team of 5 with a 10km run, Windsurf from Melville to Point Walter, 20km Cycle,1500 swim and 5km paddle.
I did the windsurfing leg. Great days
The older I get the better I was.

wally sailor
WA, 68 posts
7 Jun 2013 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Maddog49 said..

I also learnt to sail on a Wally with those huge floppy triangle sails, no battens and a boom you tied on.
A whole group of us from W.A.I.T (Curtin University) in 1983 use to head down to Melville Waters and sail across the river to UWA then continued to the Brewery across to Como and back to Melville Waters. We played around all morning and then when the seabreeze kicked in we changed to the smaller boards. I use to sail all day. Those were the days. Now I am a wind snob and don't even head down unless the breeze is over 15knots.
Now that I am nearing 50 (still think I am 21) I am thinking of breaking out the big boards and just cruise on the river. It was fun and peacefull, just what I need to recharge myself from the stresses of work.
Thank you Wally Sailor for reminding us of the simpler times.
There was also a Pentathon held on the river every year for a team of 5 with a 10km run, Windsurf from Melville to Point Walter, 20km Cycle,1500 swim and 5km paddle.
I did the windsurfing leg. Great days
The older I get the better I was.

Hi Maddog
I am a couple of years behind you (only just).

My favorite event was the Bridge to Bridge. We would start the day at Nedlands Yacht Club, sail up to the start in Freo, do the race ending at the Catamaran hire place in Perth Water then sail home. That way we didn't have to worry about getting back to the car at the start!.

I sailed the Swan River Pentathlon a couple of times too. One year of the pentathlon I arrived late hoping my runner had not come in yet. I rigged next to my car several hundred metres away. My gear was a 7.0m and Bebop race board with custom carbon wrapped centreboard. I ran through the carpark with whole thing (bear in mind the board was 12 foot long) down to the start only to find my runner had not come in yet. The guy on the PA said one of the runners had been taken to hospital and there were only 2 of us left waiting. My runner was ok, but well and truly last (poor guy). I took off from the beach placed about 250th. I got lucky when the wind turned from east to south as i took off from the beach and to be fair most sailors in this event had no idea how to look for wind shifts. I overtook 199 places in my leg. Gave me a big head!

I also remember sailing all morning, competing in afternoon on my Windsurfer OD then sailing till dark on my Bombora New Toy. When I return to Pelican Point in approx Oct I hope to last 60 minutes haha and build up from there. We'll see.

Maddog49
WA, 102 posts
7 Jun 2013 10:26PM
Thumbs Up

Wally Sailor you must be my long lost brother I also sailed a Blue Bombora New toy with a black fin.
The first Pentathlon I broke my skeg and had to paddle all the way to Point walter The riders left before I got there. We came about 200th,
The following year I used a larger board Bic with a centre board and a 6.3m sail. We came in 14th and were very proud.
The bombora New toy was too small for me and I use to only sail it when it was over 25knots and it use to spin out. As a wave jumper I use to get some serious air. The landings usually involved me crashing upside down and drifting off the coast of Leyton Beach.
I then bought myself a Storm 10 and a Tiga 295 which I still sail today. Now that I have decided to get back into sailing again I have a Starboard 135l carve on order for next season. I plan to lose some weight get fitter over the next few months and maybe I will be able to last 60 minutes also.

wally sailor
WA, 68 posts
7 Jun 2013 10:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Maddog49 said..

Wally Sailor you must be my long lost brother I also sailed a Blue Bombora New toy with a black fin.
The first Pentathlon I broke my skeg and had to paddle all the way to Point walter The riders left before I got there. We came about 200th,
The following year I used a larger board Bic with a centre board and a 6.3m sail. We came in 14th and were very proud.
The bombora New toy was too small for me and I use to only sail it when it was over 25knots and it use to spin out. As a wave jumper I use to get some serious air. The landings usually involved me crashing upside down and drifting off the coast of Leyton Beach.
I then bought myself a Storm 10 and a Tiga 295 which I still sail today. Now that I have decided to get back into sailing again I have a Starboard 135l carve on order for next season. I plan to lose some weight get fitter over the next few months and maybe I will be able to last 60 minutes also.

Hahahaha we are long lost brothers. I also aim to lose weight. I have been more daring than you and have bought a freeride exocet 114L. I need to lose 10kg to make the board perfect. It has given me something to aim at LOL.

My new toy had a pink kanga skeg. Terrible fin, would spin out at the drop of a hat!

Maddog49
WA, 102 posts
8 Jun 2013 2:31PM
Thumbs Up

I thought about buying a smaller board, but weighing in at 105kg I thought it was too big of an effort to get back to my Prime of 86kg.
I thought lose 5-10 kg buy a bigger board that can be used in medium to heavy winds and maybe if I really get enthused I may lose some more and buy a 114L or less, buy several sails to cover a range of conditions 6.5m, 7.0m, 7.5m and I will be set for all conditions.
Sailing bridge to bridge sounds like a cool activity to do oneday in the future, maybe get a group together and give it a try.
I mainly sail these days at Melville waters.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Western Australia

"Windsurfing video from 1984 Swan River" started by wally sailor