Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kiteboard leashes (not suicide leashes)

Created by FlickySpinny > 9 months ago, 14 Nov 2008
FlickySpinny
WA, 657 posts
14 Nov 2008 4:00PM
Thumbs Up

OK, genuine question here...

Why don't kiteboarders use leashes on their boards?

I understand that the experienced kiters like to do big jumps and take their boards off mid-air, but is there a safety reason that the beginners aren't attached to their boards?

The reason I ask is that I was discussing this with a bunch of other windsurfers the other day, and there was lots of speculation but no facts. Both a mate and I occasionally rescue boards whilst out of St. K (obviously after checking there isn't a kite nearby!) and bring 'em into the beach to reunite them with their owners.

Not that I mind doing this at all (I've had gear brought back to me by kind-hearted souls - what goes around comes around) but kiteboards (floating around on their own) aren't exactly the most visible thing when out on the water and there is discussion about the damage it could inflict if you hit one whilst traveling flat out on a windsurfer.... the consensus is that it wouldn't be a lot of fun and could be very painful / expensive.

I've learnt to be careful if there's a kiter in the water doing the upwind-angle-swimmy-thing because it probably means there's a board somewhere around, but sometimes they just pop out of nowhere and the kiter in question is already on the beach.

Anyway, genuine question - I've had a search and can't find it on the forum - in order to end the speculation on the beach by the "poleys".

Cheers,

Ian

ade r
NSW, 102 posts
14 Nov 2008 6:06PM
Thumbs Up

who can post the goriest picture then.....

Waveholic
14 posts
14 Nov 2008 4:09PM
Thumbs Up

It took me 3 trips to the hospital and countless stitches in my melon to work that one out also.

Sorry what was the question?

FlickySpinny
WA, 657 posts
14 Nov 2008 4:11PM
Thumbs Up

Ha ha - I'm looking forward to this now. Thought there might be a safety reason, but I still don't quite understand... blow by blow account of what happens, anyone?

graceful
WA, 773 posts
14 Nov 2008 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

you crash,board digs into water wi0th alot of tension on your leash,pops out of the water and has no where to go but str8 at you!!!
not good at all

FlickySpinny
WA, 657 posts
14 Nov 2008 4:22PM
Thumbs Up

So does this happen right from the word go, or just if you're doing big tricks. Doesn't sound too pleasant. I'm guessing (based on the previous posts) that the no-leash thing is a fairly new development and that people used to use 'em...?

On the same basis (again, genuine question), does anyone use wakeboard-style bindings when starting out? Or are they too difficult to put on whilst flying a kite (can't imagine it would be terribly easy but at least the board would stay with you)...

Cheers for the responses - now I can put some rumours to rest.

graceful
WA, 773 posts
14 Nov 2008 4:27PM
Thumbs Up

you dont need to be doin big tricks,all it needs is to fall off board dig in and kite to power up,very easy to happen hence why most ppl dont use them,i never thought of our boards being dangerous floating in the water but hey,there you go..
yes ppl do use wakeboard stlye bindings but not reccommened for learners....

thanks for saving our boards

poor relative
WA, 9089 posts
14 Nov 2008 4:33PM
Thumbs Up

FlickySpinny
WA, 657 posts
14 Nov 2008 5:02PM
Thumbs Up

Ouch. Recent photo as well. Anyone else got a worse one?

Beginning to get the picture.

Yup, a lone board is a bit of a hazard to windsurfers. If you hit debris / the bottom / a kiteboard with your fin, the board stops but the sail and rider carry on into an enforced catapult (because the sailor is hooked into the harness lines). If you're unlucky it can be serious for equipment and the sailor. I don't know of anyone who's hit a kiteboard yet, but I had to ollie one last summer.

If you lose a board, particularly at St. K where everyone's so close together, don't hesitate to tell the windsurfers - you stand a better chance of getting it back (unless you're Sci, of course ) and you might save someone from an accident.

Cheers...

sebbu
WA, 154 posts
14 Nov 2008 5:28PM
Thumbs Up

What a nice poley FlickySpinny is. Where do we get more of them?

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
14 Nov 2008 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

poor relative said...

Was that really an injury from a leashed board?? Bl00dy nasty..

poor relative
WA, 9089 posts
14 Nov 2008 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

no its harry potter after a nasty boat related injury.
I just thought it kinda looked good.

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
14 Nov 2008 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

FlickySpinny said...

Ouch. Recent photo as well. Anyone else got a worse one?

Beginning to get the picture.

Yup, a lone board is a bit of a hazard to windsurfers. If you hit debris / the bottom / a kiteboard with your fin, the board stops but the sail and rider carry on into an enforced catapult (because the sailor is hooked into the harness lines). If you're unlucky it can be serious for equipment and the sailor. I don't know of anyone who's hit a kiteboard yet, but I had to ollie one last summer.

If you lose a board, particularly at St. K where everyone's so close together, don't hesitate to tell the windsurfers - you stand a better chance of getting it back (unless you're Sci, of course ) and you might save someone from an accident.

Cheers...

Flicky... the old leash vs non leash question is a massive can of worms. Online punches have been thrown over it!

The accepted best practice is to not use a leash, it has attributed to a number of serious cases of death, one quite recently as well in Hong Kong? Taiwan? and use your kite to drag yourself back upwind to your board. This can take a few tacks. My advice to a community minded poley such as yourself is, if you see a guy out in the water, not on his board, but using his kite to drag himself along, keep away from the area just upwind of him. The likely scenario is the kiter has stacked and is zig-zagging back upwind to get his board. If you do see his board, its always nice to tell the guy where it is. Sometimes its hard to see, especially if its heavy chop and the board is upside-down in the water.

Its nice to have a poley wanting to ask questions about the reasons why we do things (most of them not purposefully to annoy poleys either )

Danger Mouse
WA, 592 posts
14 Nov 2008 6:58PM
Thumbs Up

sebbu said...

Couldn't agree more.

D

graceful
WA, 773 posts
15 Nov 2008 1:02PM
Thumbs Up

D_Meredith79 said...

sebbu said...

Couldn't agree more.

D

second that

cabstar
VIC, 328 posts
15 Nov 2008 3:16PM
Thumbs Up

cabstar
VIC, 328 posts
15 Nov 2008 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

this is what happends when you wear a leash he was useing a surfboard on his twin tip

Waveholic
14 posts
15 Nov 2008 1:40PM
Thumbs Up

The funny thing is that how hard you try you can hardly ever land up wind of your board when crashing and if you do then you normally cop it in the shins.

Ohhh it hurts just thinking about it.................

gerard
QLD, 175 posts
15 Nov 2008 3:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FlickySpinny said...
Anyone else got a worse one?

This bad enough????

vader
NSW, 418 posts
15 Nov 2008 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

that guy is not ment to go. he was in a fishing boat sinking earlier this year and swam 10 hour back to shore .the others drowned.so the boys in yamba tell me.missed you up there grant but caught up with dan.

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
15 Nov 2008 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

ade r said...

who can post the goriest picture then.....

I'll see if I can find a photo of the local guy who nearly had his ear sliced off

here we go

moon waxing
WA, 307 posts
15 Nov 2008 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

cRAZY Canuk
NSW, 2528 posts
15 Nov 2008 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Um, Wow

And that's an under stament the guy missing half his calf, Wow

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
17 Nov 2008 11:46AM
Thumbs Up

moon waxing said...

Don't fret - this guy could be a rugby player Even with a head like a smashed crab dopey (and doped) fugly NRL/AFL players still end up with hotties..

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
17 Nov 2008 2:03PM
Thumbs Up

maybe you should stop driving your car too .I have seen some outrageous antics on the road and you can't really give other drivers that 'wide berth" scary stuff

FlickySpinny said...

OK, I've got the picture. Nasty....

Most poleys are pretty cool with kites, but at the same time very wary of kites, mainly because we don't understand them.

In all honestly, they scare the living sh1t out of me and I give you guys a wide berth both on the beach and on the water.

This is mainly because I've over the years (I'm only 29 but been windsurfing since I was 15, and I've seen the development of kiting along the way) I've seen a couple of guys lose control of kites and seen 'em impact into the beach and I just don't want to be anywhere near when that happens! I know it's a rare occurance, etc, etc (although I don't know what causes it) - I'd just rather be a long, long way away when a learner loses control thanks!

Poley's aren't generally a bunch of haters (in fact, especially down here in Melbourne, you'll have to work very hard to find a more laidback bunch I reckon), but there's a bit of a sense of rivalry.

This partly comes from the fact that you guys can play in less wind than we can, and when it's blowing 14 knots we're watching you having fun whilst we're sat on the beach getting sunburnt.

However, it mainly comes from a windsurfer's most hated conversation, not for any real on-the-water rivalry...

(You guys will have a laugh at this...)

[Punter]: "So... you're a windsurfer?"

[Windsurfer]: "Yup" (pleased someone's taking an interest)

[Punter]: "Have you ever tried kitesurfing?"

It's cool the first dozen times, but by the time you've had that EXACT conversation at least once a month for five years it's enough to drive anyone to murder

So that (for me at least) is the only real rivalry - kitesurfing is a lot more high-profile / cool, and most poleys are pretty accepting of kites (albeit mainly in a "I'm staying the fk away from that" kind of a way).

Anyway, back to the point (there is one) - I spent a long time as a snowboarder and hating skiers because they did things that I thought stupid or unpredictable... then a mate took me sking, and I began to understand their stupid and unpredictable movement down a hill (and also understanding why skiers don't like snowboarders)

So I'd rather understand everyone and be cool with the fact that people do things in different ways, in the hope that when I fk up on the water (and seeing as I dive, sail, surf, windsurf, wakeboard, etc, it surely is only a matter of time) someone will come and fish me out rather than laughing at me.

Laters...

sneakybutche
VIC, 73 posts
17 Nov 2008 2:15PM
Thumbs Up

From the look of those photos maybe they should be called "suicide leashes"

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
18 Nov 2008 1:55AM
Thumbs Up

FlickySpinny said...

Anyway, back to the point (there is one) - I spent a long time as a snowboarder and hating skiers because they did things that I thought stupid or unpredictable... then a mate took me sking, and I began to understand their stupid and unpredictable movement down a hill (and also understanding why skiers don't like snowboarders)

So I'd rather understand everyone and be cool with the fact that people do things in different ways, in the hope that when I fk up on the water (and seeing as I dive, sail, surf, windsurf, wakeboard, etc, it surely is only a matter of time) someone will come and fish me out rather than laughing at me.

Laters...

I couldn't agree more. I learnt to ski first but now snowboard, and the line you take down the mountain is very different. Skiers and snowboarders just don't mix on narrow low-slope cat-tracks.

I see the disagreements between poleys and kiters being of a similar vein. But Flicky, if you want to pass close to a kiter, the best side to be is on the up wind side, if anything goes wrong the kiter will always be carried away from you!

kitecrazzzy
WA, 2184 posts
18 Nov 2008 12:24AM
Thumbs Up

you can have one, all you have to do is attach it so that it will easily come off with more than say ~20kgs force. This can be done by using ~10 individual loops of string on your board somewhere. Hook into one and when it snaps use a different one. It's good for when your learning but once you are somewhat experienced you will rarely find use for one.
Try bindings and you wont be worrying about your board, more focus will go to wondering why your not going upwind.

phrase
WA, 228 posts
18 Nov 2008 11:37AM
Thumbs Up

When i first learned to kiteboard I practiced over and over body dragging until retrieving my board up wind was second nature. Problem is people get too excited to get up on the board before learning the basics first. And it doesn`t take long! Personaly I don`t think there`s any excuse to use a board leash. It`s like, you don`t see much, bigginers self launching and landing with the intstructors supervising them. (I guess they don`t want their kites scratched etc.) Then they go out on their own and get dragged half way accross the beach because they haven`t been shown enough, or properly.
Getting up on the board is the easy part, it will come eventually. Taking time to learn the basics, priceless.

kitebored
NSW, 561 posts
18 Nov 2008 1:38PM
Thumbs Up

Write your name and phone number on your board just in case also..

westhammer
WA, 505 posts
18 Nov 2008 11:44AM
Thumbs Up

Should make ths thread (R) rated!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kiteboard leashes (not suicide leashes)" started by FlickySpinny