Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Beautiful Barwon.

Created by DavidJohn > 9 months ago, 21 Apr 2009
DavidJohn
VIC, 17451 posts
22 Apr 2009 1:04AM
Thumbs Up

Today I drove down to Barwon Heads to check it out and took some pics for those who've never been there.. It's a beautiful place.

Once at Barwon Heads I stopped to check out some local shops.

Mmmm Lobster..and only $6.

I had to take a pic of this guy.

Time to grab a cold drink... It was getting pretty hot (for Autumn).

I then drive down to the local beach next to the Barwon river bridge.

This is looking right towards the Bluff.

I drove over the bridge to check out the beach on the other side.

I followed these two down the track to the beach.

Looking left towards Ocean Grove.

This is looking right towards the Bluff and check out those little waves out off the point... Nice.. (btw I got some of those later on).

I then drove down to Ocean Grove and parked at the main beach.. Geez what a nice place.

I drove past the O.G. SLSC.

I then checked out Murf's.. The local surf shop.

I was surprised when I looked inside to see Croc's.. Lots of Croc's.

I was like a kid in a candy store.. Check out this big Croc.

I almost bought them but they were a bit on the big side.

They also had big Ugg boots.

.. and big hats.

I love checking out surf shops when they have collectibles all over the place.

Back outside you can see just how close the surf it.. It's just a stone throw away.

Time to find a wave and get wet.. I drove up to the lookout at the top of the bluff.

I then checked out the waves on the south side where the real waves are.

Lookin' good.

Fussy me then decides to drive further south and check out 13th Beach.

Also looking good... This was the first car park.

Check out that Bommie breaking out the back.

That bommie was sooooo tempting.. The wind was picking up and you can see the spray flying off the wave as it breaks.. It was at least 15' imo.. (it a long way out).

I then drove down to the second car park.

I spotted this guy coming in and I asked him about his board.. Nice.. and interesting don't you think.. He was nice guy.

I decided to chicken out on paddling out to the bommie.. I wish I had someone else with me to paddle out there with... So I headed back to Barwon Heads.

I saw a nice camper with a SUP on top.

I couldn't spot to owner so I finally hit the water to paddle out to the little waves breaking off the end of the Bluff.

The waves were pretty inconsistent.. I waited around the red channel marker pole.

Time to put the camera away and catch a few waves.

I caught about a dozen waves and things got pretty choppy as the tide turned so I headed back towards the river.

Anyone else noticed how couples often dress the same.

This place is called the Barwon Grove.. I needed some fresh paint but what a nice place.

Mmmm.. Ice creams.

I then headed over to the bridge.

The water was beautiful.

Mmmmm.. Glassy water.

I looked over to the left and all of a sudden I see something in the water coming straight towards me like a rocket.. It was like a torpedo coming strait at me.

It goes straight under my board and whizzed around and then I see a fin.

It was a dolphin.

It whizzed round and round me.. Under and right along side of my board.

I then lost sight of it and then I feel my board getting pushed along in the water.. The dolphin was pushing me.. Not for a second or two but for ages.. I almost fell in taking these shots.

I just kept clicking away hoping to get a few good shots.. and not fall in.

It lasted for ages.. A few locals walking along the beach stopped to also take some pics.

What a great way to end a great day.

So... Next time you drive down to Torquay.. do a left turn and check out Barwon Heads and Ocean Grove.. What a beautiful place.

DJ

Marvin
WA, 725 posts
22 Apr 2009 12:16AM
Thumbs Up

What a super story. Loved it. Great flourish at the end!

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
22 Apr 2009 12:33AM
Thumbs Up

You so should have taken your skirt off DJ and paddled out to that bombie. It looked sick!
And that dolphin experince was one never to forget. I couldnt believe how friendly it was and how close you were getting to it.
I dont think I need to go to Barwon or Ocean Grove now because it felt like I just went hehehe.

Hey Phill... have you surfed that bombie before? That whole area looked deserted. No crowds there?

uk
198 posts
22 Apr 2009 3:38AM
Thumbs Up

DJ as ever you have managed to capture my imagination at the same time as making me GREEN with envy,what a great looking place with some great photos and how about that dolphin.Great stuff indeed BUT PARKING ACROSS A DISABLED BAY! tut tut tut.yours concerned UK.

Tux
VIC, 3829 posts
22 Apr 2009 8:43AM
Thumbs Up

Greenroom said...

You so should have taken your skirt off DJ and paddled out to that bombie. It looked sick!

The Bombie out the back of 13th is quite shifty...it looks like its breaking in exactly the same spot every time but unless you have a super straight swell it tends to throw lumps(sometimes very large lumps) up all over the place.....

AA
NSW, 2159 posts
22 Apr 2009 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

Hey DJ - Awesome work!

I almost took that turnoff on the way down to Torquay.
Now it feels like I did, and that I spent a few hours looking around.
Great pictorial- sweeps you up and takes you on the journey with you!

Must have been awesome having that Dolphin come up to you!

Mate you should become the Minister for Coastal Tourism and Seaside Ice creameries
your doing such a good job!

Keep 'em coming!

Andrew.A

Session
VIC, 445 posts
22 Apr 2009 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

Wow Dave ,

Great photo's and story of Barwon Heads .

The Dolphin's name is "Archie" ( a real local ) he's been hangin around the bridge for a while now .
Next time let's grab OG sup , Kristi and head out to the bommie or the waves along 13th are epic.

Rich

JohnDavid
VIC, 181 posts
22 Apr 2009 10:20AM
Thumbs Up

DJ, as always, I was enjoying your 'travelogue' pics and commentary, until I saw the dolphin shots...then it just got better! What a fantastic experience. This is one of your best!
Barwon Heads is a great place to paddle at high tide too, you can poaddle along the wall right next to the houses. People wave to you as they're having their brekky or lunch.
Now I'm keen to go back there. You should become the minister for tourism on the surf coast.

Bnaccas
VIC, 1722 posts
22 Apr 2009 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

Amazing DJ! I had a similar experience with a dolphin but not nearly as playful. I can't believe it was pushing you along. Soooo good! They are my favorite animal for sure.

That bombie is popular (beacon) for tow ins as it is close by and once it gets to 8'+ can get pretty steep and throw real good. I've only surfed it 3 times in some heavy waves and copped a beating a few times. But also got some great waves. It can be deceptive, it usually looks bigger than it really is from the beach until it hits about 6' then the opposite starts happening, 10' looks solid but not 10'. Weird!

I now know why this happens...

Revvin
VIC, 299 posts
22 Apr 2009 10:36AM
Thumbs Up

Sorry I wasnt able to catch up with you yesterday DJ, works a bit flat knacker at the moment, but when I can spend lunch break looking at where you were paddling there, lifes good.

Archies a classic, everytime you paddle on the river he will come up to you its awesome. Parks Vic and DSE have been fining people for following and chasing him cos theres been some #$%heads doing the wrong thing. As long as you go on your own way and he comes up to you its usually fine.

loco4olas
NSW, 1515 posts
22 Apr 2009 12:13PM
Thumbs Up

Mate that was great-I reckon the bombie should have been tackled too-easy for me to say sitting here at a PC-great minitravelogue-that dolphin, pushing your board! Epic!

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
22 Apr 2009 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

That is one cool dolphin encounter. If something like that happens, you almost never a camera handy - unless you are DJ!

DavidJohn
VIC, 17451 posts
22 Apr 2009 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

Greenroom said...

Yeah Greenie.. You're right...

I think I will regret not doing it for the rest of my life.. Even now I think about it all the time.. It looked fantastic.. and easy doable on a SUP.

Thanks for everyones nice comments.

DJ

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
22 Apr 2009 1:26PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah looks like a nice place DJ. Hey shortboard trends in quads are going to pin tails. Interesting board, going to shape a pintail for more powerful waves and see how it goes. Nice storey.

oliver
3952 posts
22 Apr 2009 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

Great story DJ, I don't think I've ever been there before. Looking forward to heading there in the weeks ahead.

I read that Archie might be spooked by the bridge and doesn't go under it. Is that theory correct?

Bnaccas
VIC, 1722 posts
22 Apr 2009 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

I'm still blown away by the dolphin shots. I'm so stoked for you. DJ you would have to be one of the luckiest people SUPing!

mybrosweeper
NSW, 1016 posts
22 Apr 2009 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

Farout DJ,
Thats amazing,something you will never forget.Awesome pictures mate and great to see another part of the world,thanks heaps,
Other Robbo

Green Tea
VIC, 112 posts
22 Apr 2009 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

Reminds of home.
Great story.
Next time you come down give us a heads up. We'll show you the secret spots (without the camera)!!

Div
from Ocean Grove

cranky
440 posts
22 Apr 2009 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

Good job DJ, I can strike that off my travel list after looking at all your photo's I feel like Iv'e been there.

poor relative
WA, 9089 posts
22 Apr 2009 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

Your tales and photos are just superb.
So much better than Youtube and perfectly captioned.
Thanks once again for the effort.

stoneaxe
136 posts
22 Apr 2009 11:10PM
Thumbs Up

DJ...I always look forward to your travels, pics, and the stories around them. This one was great. I know you say you regret not paddling out to that bommie but the way I see it, if you had you probably wouldn't have had a dolphin push you around. You'll get another chance to get on a big wave...the rest of us are only going to hope to be pushed by a dolphin someday.....and have pics to show it.

elbeau
WA, 986 posts
23 Apr 2009 1:20AM
Thumbs Up

Brilliant. I keep showing people. " Look at this,it pushes the board along" Love it. Thanks DJ

firstpoint
QLD, 613 posts
23 Apr 2009 5:24AM
Thumbs Up

yeah dj,i love going to og area,we do it when we can,brings back fond mems,great story.how good is murfs

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
23 Apr 2009 4:57AM
Thumbs Up

Cheers DJ, wow how nice it down your way! Thanks for the insight on the OG area and the picture of Murf's shop,which has been mentioned on this forum a number of times. Lookout OG, I can see the crowd coming your way! You lucky bugger OG

mac

champcrow
SA, 804 posts
23 Apr 2009 8:24AM
Thumbs Up

NICE ONE DJ

rodriguez
VIC, 883 posts
23 Apr 2009 10:32AM
Thumbs Up

Wow DJ,what a fantastic travel doc.The shot outside of the general store, they have the best big breakfast and hamburgers, oh and the sth melb dimmies. DJ you must have thought all your sundays had come at once when that dolphin turned up! Those little blokes just make something special out of every encounter.Rodriguez

REA07
NSW, 116 posts
23 Apr 2009 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

Hey great story DJ, and thanks for sharing! I'll definitely join you next time to check out that bombie, it looked like heaps of fun, and the dolphin story at the end OMG AMAZING!!!! Nice work taking the pics too!!

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
23 Apr 2009 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

Raises one eyebrow and says SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! DJ

The water around OG is full of great white sharks lots of them, at last count at least 500! Thats why the dolphin is scared to go past the bridge

There are never any waves at main beach or 13th and stories you hear about good surf down this way is promoted by traveling tourists to brag to thier mates.

Torquay is definitely the best place to go as there are more shops and better waves etc etc etc etc including Rip Wirl, Quickabong and lots of others!

I also hear that OG has just been quarantined due to an African Abola outbreak that only attacks those that travel here with boards or sups strapped to thier roof. Its a new strain I'm told!

The photos DJ took are from about 60 years ago at least, it doesnt look anything like that any more ask Div.

OG Sup minister for propaganda!

mollydooka
WA, 252 posts
23 Apr 2009 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

Don't stress OG Sup. DJ's travelogue was very enticing, but from someone who's never had a thicker wetsuit than 3/2, I think when mid-winter comes it could be a good time to visit the sis' & the crowds on the Gold Coast, & leave the steamer at home!!

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
23 Apr 2009 7:18PM
Thumbs Up

Hey MD,

The last post was very tongue in cheek. We welcome anyone and are running a Fun day in a few weeks. Your twice as welcome with a SUP on the roof.

Sorry my sense of humor is a bit like my surfing off beat and I was trying to wind DJ up.

All Good

By the way the Big Crocs and ugg boots belong to "The Bear" those in OG will know who I mean lol, He rides a yellow laird

Regards

Phill

mollydooka
WA, 252 posts
23 Apr 2009 5:34PM
Thumbs Up

No worries Phill. I should have added a couple of , 'cos I know you were only joshing, & I saw the invite to the 13 June paddle.
Would love to visit the "sup family" up & down the east side of Oz, & might even buy a thicker wetsuit one day & turn up on your doorstep . Don't think it's going to happen this year, but one more Powerball...
Luv your posts & photos/movies. Will get some of my own organised when I can persuade her to come down & film me with the video-camera I won last year!!
Mike

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Beautiful Barwon." started by DavidJohn