Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

$250 fine for surfing after a shark alarm

Created by mitchupc > 9 months ago, 3 Sep 2016
kiterboy
2614 posts
13 Sep 2016 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

DARTH said..

kiterboy said..

jbshack said..

Subsonic said..

Taytay said...
No I'm not :) I frequent the site but honestly this is the first post that has provoked me to respond. I don't have to know or be a beach inspector to realise the same thing that volunteers and lifeguards go through probably happens to beach inspectors.
It's a simple matter of respecting the job they do at the beach, paid or unpaid. They're trying to help. Not everyone in a position of authority is trying take advantage of people. If you respect people regardless of who they are, generally you get a good response back :)

I can appreciate that the authoritarian figure had his safety in mind when tried to call him out of the surf, but for him to be issuing a fine for this is ludicrous, on so many levels.

It sounds to me like the council have invented a regulation to allow this. It wouldn't surprise me if this or another case got taken to court and the council was found to have overstepped their jurisdiction. Since when do they have 200m of ocean in their boundary?

This whole business of issuing fines for not obeying vocal orders should remain in the powers of police, no one else.

Id say that he got the fine for being a dick to the inspector.

Its worth noting that councils and governments don't won't beaches closed. They recently even changed the rules on when they will close a beach. Perviously if a shark was 1km away they would close the beach. Now the beach will only be closed if a shark over 3 mtr is with in 500 m. SO the warnings wouldn't have been for a shark a few kms away, yet probably very near by..People stay out in the water and get attacked, soon you will see the law stretched further to help protect the stupid people and you may find the beaches even more regulated

So now you're advocating giving fines to people for 'being a bit of a dick'??

Lucky it's not a real fine yet, you'd be sent broke.

And yeah, your condoning of people being allowed to misuse their 'authority' to fine someone cause they didn't like what they said to them, well that shows your true character.

BTW, just for your info "It's not the most polite way of speaking but those who walk the beat would be quiet immune to the words."
Source: www.news.com.au/national/its-ok-to-tell-police-officers-to-fck-off/news-story/97d606dd54c9dbdb5de4fe2e61bc5feb

Far out, you would go broke

No prizes for second, doggie. Lucky you're used to that.

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
13 Sep 2016 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

kiterboy said..

DARTH said..

kiterboy said..

jbshack said..

Subsonic said..

Taytay said...
No I'm not :) I frequent the site but honestly this is the first post that has provoked me to respond. I don't have to know or be a beach inspector to realise the same thing that volunteers and lifeguards go through probably happens to beach inspectors.
It's a simple matter of respecting the job they do at the beach, paid or unpaid. They're trying to help. Not everyone in a position of authority is trying take advantage of people. If you respect people regardless of who they are, generally you get a good response back :)

I can appreciate that the authoritarian figure had his safety in mind when tried to call him out of the surf, but for him to be issuing a fine for this is ludicrous, on so many levels.

It sounds to me like the council have invented a regulation to allow this. It wouldn't surprise me if this or another case got taken to court and the council was found to have overstepped their jurisdiction. Since when do they have 200m of ocean in their boundary?

This whole business of issuing fines for not obeying vocal orders should remain in the powers of police, no one else.

Id say that he got the fine for being a dick to the inspector.

Its worth noting that councils and governments don't won't beaches closed. They recently even changed the rules on when they will close a beach. Perviously if a shark was 1km away they would close the beach. Now the beach will only be closed if a shark over 3 mtr is with in 500 m. SO the warnings wouldn't have been for a shark a few kms away, yet probably very near by..People stay out in the water and get attacked, soon you will see the law stretched further to help protect the stupid people and you may find the beaches even more regulated

So now you're advocating giving fines to people for 'being a bit of a dick'??

Lucky it's not a real fine yet, you'd be sent broke.

And yeah, your condoning of people being allowed to misuse their 'authority' to fine someone cause they didn't like what they said to them, well that shows your true character.

BTW, just for your info "It's not the most polite way of speaking but those who walk the beat would be quiet immune to the words."
Source: www.news.com.au/national/its-ok-to-tell-police-officers-to-fck-off/news-story/97d606dd54c9dbdb5de4fe2e61bc5feb

Far out, you would go broke

No prizes for second, doggie. Lucky you're used to that.

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
13 Sep 2016 2:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiterboy said..

thedrip said..

kiterboy said...

DARTH said...

kiterboy said..

DARTH said...
About two years ago maybe longer we were surfing down at Secret Harbour wasn't the best a bit side shore and lumpy but waves were ok.

Mate swore he saw a fin I didn't, 10mins later the SLS in the rib came up to us to warn us of a sighting and we should think about going in.

Heaps of people didn't, we did.

I'm not willing to risk getting injured or killed. No bravado here.

At the end of the day it's your choice if you want to get fined or not, no matter what the law is.

Ah, so you're saying that we can choose to be fined or not, regardless of the law?

Far out you have the comprehension of a 2yo haha

No, thats not what I'm saying fool. It's your choice to stay out or come in. Stay out, get fined. Come in, you don't.

See how that works you idiot

Hate to break it to ya, but that is EXACTLY what you said.

Your emoticon only responses add more to the conversation than when you try to sound clever.

I am an English teacher and if you ask me you either fail for not being capable of inferential and contextual reading, or you fail for being a smart arse and deliberately misreading.

Take your pick.

You missed the part where noone asked you, Mr English teacher.

You can't fail for both possible outcomes of an assessment, one has to be right.
I either fail the comprehension and pass on the deliberate misreading, or I pass on the comprehension and fail on the deliberate misreading.

Fail for you, Mr Teacher.

Its a forum, he dosnt need an invite. You do struggle with basic stuff dont you? Poor little man. Maybe your dad didn't hug you haha

kiterboy
2614 posts
13 Sep 2016 5:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DARTH said..

kiterboy said..

thedrip said..

kiterboy said...

DARTH said...

kiterboy said..

DARTH said...
About two years ago maybe longer we were surfing down at Secret Harbour wasn't the best a bit side shore and lumpy but waves were ok.

Mate swore he saw a fin I didn't, 10mins later the SLS in the rib came up to us to warn us of a sighting and we should think about going in.

At the end of the day it's your choice if you want to get fined or not, no matter what the law is.

Ah, so you're saying that we can choose to be fined or not, regardless of the law?

No, thats not what I'm saying fool. It's your choice to stay out or come in. Stay out, get fined. Come in, you don't.

Your emoticon only responses add more to the conversation than when you try to sound clever.

I am an English teacher and if you ask me you either fail for not being capable of inferential and contextual reading, or you fail for being a smart arse and deliberately misreading.

Take your pick.

You can't fail for both possible outcomes of an assessment, one has to be right.
I either fail the comprehension and pass on the deliberate misreading, or I pass on the comprehension and fail on the deliberate misreading.

Its a forum, he dosnt need an invite. You do struggle with basic stuff dont you? Poor little man. Maybe your dad didn't hug you haha

I didn't say he needed an invite, just that if I wanted to listen to an arsehole, I would have farted.

You on the other hand, please do keep trying.
I do find your attempts at being clever funny, they have a certain, intellectually disabled charm about them.

thedrip
WA, 2354 posts
13 Sep 2016 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiterboy said...
thedrip said..

kiterboy said...

DARTH said...

kiterboy said..

DARTH said...

Take your pick.

Lol. Well that just tells me you fail in basic comprehension skills.

kiterboy
2614 posts
13 Sep 2016 5:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DARTH said..

kiterboy said..

thedrip said..

kiterboy said...

DARTH said...

kiterboy said..

DARTH said...

Take your pick.

Lucky your mum doens't have a problem hugging me, post coitus.

thedrip
WA, 2354 posts
13 Sep 2016 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

Which word? Were they too big for you?

kiterboy
2614 posts
13 Sep 2016 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedrip said..
"parrp"

southace
SA, 4776 posts
13 Sep 2016 7:33PM
Thumbs Up

I took this pic on my lunch break last winter on the shark lover tour boat.......meanwhile on the other tour shark boat they where feeding them up with big chunks of tuna ready for there annual swim to the west and east coast. There's no real awnsers to the problems that you may encounter but I know in some places people pay big money to get in the water for this bucket list thrill......

kiterboy
2614 posts
13 Sep 2016 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

Here's another one for the bendover brigade: get the lube out fellas!

www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/government-mulls-online-shopping-lockouts-in-gst-crackdown/news-story/19e3cf3d3eb533dcc93293cfeac88db1

kiterboy
2614 posts
13 Sep 2016 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

May as well lube up in support of this one too, fellas.

www.adelaidenow.com.au/nocookies?a=A.flavipes

thedrip
WA, 2354 posts
13 Sep 2016 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiterboy said...
Grunt...grunt...parrrrrp.

thedrip
WA, 2354 posts
13 Sep 2016 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cobra said...

So right, Cobra. Feel free to slap me if I post another response.

southace
SA, 4776 posts
13 Sep 2016 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedrip said..

kiterboy said...

You need to get back cutting sandwiches for them refugees kiteboy!

kiterboy
2614 posts
13 Sep 2016 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
southace said..

thedrip said..

kiterboy said...

I prefer cutting your lunch.

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
14 Sep 2016 7:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiterboy said..

southace said..

thedrip said..

kiterboy said...

I prefer cutting your lunch.

Trolls will troll......

JoeMc
WA, 97 posts
14 Sep 2016 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

Have not checked this thread for a few days but its gone downhill bigtime. The bendover brigade who support the handing our of fines for everything are now supporting being fined for being a bit of a dick.

I suppost we will have no need for Judges in the future when the beach inspectors can assess how much of a dick you are and give you a fine based on that.

Not wearing Hi-Vis clothing while riding your bike & "being a bit of a dick" = double fine

stehsegler
WA, 3472 posts
15 Sep 2016 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

Back to the question of the original poster. Did the officer state what law or council regulation the fine was based on?

If there is a law or regulation you broke I'd say you have zero chance of appealing... especially if it was towards the end of the inspectors month and he to make up his quota. If there was no particular law I'd say go to council and appeal the fine. If necessary go to court.

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
15 Sep 2016 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ I didn't know you could get a fine for breaking 'no particular law'???

Radmac
WA, 201 posts
16 Sep 2016 7:27AM
Thumbs Up

So mitchupc, what was the outcome?

Did you pay the fine?

It must be due by now.

Decided to surf at poo pipe from now on? Not that the situation would be any different.

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
16 Sep 2016 9:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris6791 said..
^^^ I didn't know you could get a fine for breaking 'no particular law'???

But it is a law. He was given clear/direct instruction by authority and he didn't obey it He then also refused to give his details to that inspector. Also a breach of law.. Technically if the guy wanted to be a real dick, he could have possibly given him two fines

It's the same as a police officer giving you a move on notice. Ignore it and you'll get fined or even arrested..Refuse to give the police your name and details, another breach of the law..

ThinkaBowtit
WA, 1134 posts
16 Sep 2016 2:57PM
Thumbs Up

mclovin
SA, 724 posts
16 Sep 2016 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

Bbbboring way of life you must have. Most fun things are illegal and shouldn't be.

Spotty
VIC, 1619 posts
17 Sep 2016 8:09AM
Thumbs Up

Maybe the council needs to take a different approach like cutting a Tyrannical Triangle out of your rail to show how dangerous sharks can be when your surfing . $250 Fine vs Chop Suey???

Vid of the surfer having his board taken and cut at below link....

www.facebook.com/CsrChinaSurfReport/photos/a.468218473190667.111078.463140173698497/920361467976363/?type=3
Chinese surfer arrested and had surfboard broken, today in Xichong, Shenzhen. Technically surfing is not illegal in China, but there is a lot of confusion about it. Swimmers, surfers, tourists just mix up in the water and really often problems happen. We hope the situation will be soon resolved. Video has been taken by a witness, we do not own the copyrights.

kiterboy
2614 posts
27 Sep 2016 1:09PM
Thumbs Up

Hey! Bendover Brigade!

Here's something for you all to think about tonight when you'rte lathering up your nipps.

Now you can go to Victoria, and get two months in jail for mooning someone!

www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-37426651

How awesome is that??!!
I for one am so glad we have these laws to protect us.

king of the point
WA, 1836 posts
29 Sep 2016 1:19AM
Thumbs Up

Hope that last wave was a barrel

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"$250 fine for surfing after a shark alarm" started by mitchupc