Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

50,000 Jobs

Created by Macroscien > 9 months ago, 11 Feb 2014
Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
11 Feb 2014 4:23PM
Thumbs Up

If you were given 1 billion dollars to create 50,000 new jobs in Australia
what will be your preferential sector to bring that best results in return ?
- agriculture
- mining
- education -
- tourism
- industry
- IT
- military
- public services
- health care
- green energy
- ...you name it

or you may have even already specific business activity in mind already ?

Think about it as investment not one write off money.

ikw777
QLD, 2995 posts
11 Feb 2014 4:43PM
Thumbs Up

Car manufacture. I think there's a gap in the market.

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
11 Feb 2014 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

Pipeline from the Northern States to the southern states ....mass irrigation and create a world food bowl..... its going to be needed.

ThePhil
WA, 1315 posts
11 Feb 2014 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

Remove Rottnest and let some swell in, will be great for windsports tourism.

stamp
QLD, 2770 posts
11 Feb 2014 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

meth & cannabis production & distribution.
hash, cocaine, and mdma importation & distribution...

deejay8204
QLD, 557 posts
11 Feb 2014 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

Manufacturing for sure, Stop sending our hard earned money to the Chinese import market.

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
11 Feb 2014 3:25PM
Thumbs Up

I'd invent a phone app to prevent me being raped when I go single to lunch.

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
11 Feb 2014 3:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
harry potter said..

Pipeline from the Northern States to the southern states ....mass irrigation and create a world food bowl..... its going to be needed.

+ 1

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
11 Feb 2014 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

I'd set up a car manufacturing business with a frame with electrically driven wheels and an interchangeable plastic shell.

dmitri
VIC, 1040 posts
11 Feb 2014 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ThePhil said..

Remove Rottnest and let some swell in, will be great for windsports tourism.

yeah ! and remove that stretch of dirt in between pt nepean and rye.
melbourne beaches, points and reefs got so much potential for sick waves.

i've heard about this ideas before.

au_rick
WA, 752 posts
11 Feb 2014 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macroscien said..

If you were given 1 billion dollars to create 50,000 new jobs in Australia
what will be your preferential sector to bring that best results in return ?
- agriculture
- mining
- education -
- tourism
- industry
- IT
- military
- public services
- health care
- green energy
- ...you name it

or you may have even already specific business activity in mind already ?

Think about it as investment not one write off money.

Who's gonna work for $20,000 per year ?

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
11 Feb 2014 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

quiet day at the office Macro ?

Mark _australia
WA, 22412 posts
11 Feb 2014 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

Sell a whole bunch of Kiwi to English translation dictionaries

tazmania
WA, 83 posts
12 Feb 2014 7:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
harry potter said..

Wouldn't work.
I asked a hydrologist from ANU who actually designs water storage systems on the scale we're talking about, about that a couple of years ago. His answer was that it is pointless and there are better alternatives. His reasoning? As it only rains in the top end during the wet season, you'd need some big ass dams to hold water for the dry season that can be pumped.

The problem with that is that the top end has no good deep gorges/valleys for dam construction. There's lots of wide shallow things like the Ord river but for the storage people envisage you need deep narrow things. Narrow because you need to minimise evaporation off the surface. In the dry the Ord catchment loses more to evaporation each day than you can pump away. So imagine how fast it would go dry if you were doing both. So you need a valley very/very deep and narrow up there t minimise evaporation.

The dams in the snowy catchment are very deep and despite their size... like Lake Eucumbene the branches are relatively narrow. Think of the waragamba dam and you'll get the idea. That is ideal. The northern territory/north Queensland just doesn't have these features.

The geography/topography required to do this scheme just isn't there.

Mick81
2 posts
12 Feb 2014 7:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tazmania said..

Wouldn't work.

I asked a hydrologist from ANU who actually designs water storage systems on the scale we're talking about, about that a couple of years ago. His answer was that it is pointless and there are better alternatives. His reasoning? As it only rains in the top end during the wet season, you'd need some big ass dams to hold water for the dry season that can be pumped.

The problem with that is that the top end has no good deep gorges/valleys for dam construction. There's lots of wide shallow things like the Ord river but for the storage people envisage you need deep narrow things. Narrow because you need to minimise evaporation off the surface. In the dry the Ord catchment loses more to evaporation each day than you can pump away. So imagine how fast it would go dry if you were doing both. So you need a valley very/very deep and narrow up there t minimise evaporation.

The dams in the snowy catchment are very deep and despite their size... like Lake Eucumbene the branches are relatively narrow. Think of the waragamba dam and you'll get the idea. That is ideal. The northern territory/north Queensland just doesn't have these features.

The geography/topography required to do this scheme just isn't there.

It could work if you used the existing abandoned mines that are plentiful up here in the Pilbara.

At my current location, we pump out 1000L per second from our main pit. In the last year we pumped out billions of litres, can't remember exact figures.

Even if we direct pumped down to the wheat belt, surely the benefits would outweigh the initial infrastructure cost?

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
12 Feb 2014 11:42AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tazmania said..

harry potter said..

Wouldn't work.
I asked a hydrologist from ANU who actually designs water storage systems on the scale we're talking about, about that a couple of years ago. His answer was that it is pointless and there are better alternatives. His reasoning? As it only rains in the top end during the wet season, you'd need ome big ass dams to hold water for the dry season that can be pumped.

Isn't the wet season summer in the north, and winter in the south? Vice versa for dry season.

Should be easy - it's all downhill from the north.

da vecta
QLD, 2514 posts
12 Feb 2014 11:11AM
Thumbs Up

The FroYo Sector!

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
12 Feb 2014 11:19AM
Thumbs Up

Water management -storage and distribution could provide indeed plenty of work and will benefit to the country as w whole IMO.
Possibly require a bit more then a single billion, but anyway every kilometer of the irrigation channel or pipe extending into dry territory
will create instant jobs in agriculture and return on money spent.

I guess irrigation channels could be good for windsurfing/ kite surfing along kilometers in straight way

Soon

Alice Springs will become the World Center of Speed Windsurfing. Not sure if there is enough wind on deserts and Greens will not populate channels with fresh water crocks.

gibberjoe
SA, 956 posts
12 Feb 2014 12:08PM
Thumbs Up

irrigation channels are crap from years gone by, the world knows that chanells are poor science for transporting fluids

it must be done with pipes. evaporation and comtamination have been tryed for years , everywhere above ground is out

underground is all the modern thing.

It would seem that the new world order directions that our governments follow blindly, means for us that no Australian

will work at a hands on job, they will recieve further education [ mind bending] that will allow all to function at a higher

level from our home computer.

Doctors, nurses, lawers, nannys, teachers, truck drivers, etc will be imported from the swill of humans looking for

somewhere better to practice their mumbojumbo in , will be given free range

Aussies will just surf and play footbrawll and do courier work to nearby countrys with important medicines in big bags

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
12 Feb 2014 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

Previously we had discussion already how nice will be to have all jobs by our computer at our air conditioned home thanks to Almighty NBN.
I am not so sure what actually this new 50,000 workers will do (?)
They could be outsourced at any time by even cheaper workers in Asia or Africa by their NBN version.
I am sure that our irrigation and agriculture could not be that easy outsourced as world arable land is shrinking, demand for food is growing and due to our flat geography we are already and could be even more competitive.
Maybe that even means that we still could afford automotive industry cranking out Toyota and Ford tractors this time.

GypsyDrifter
WA, 2371 posts
12 Feb 2014 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

Farming, food producing and distridution

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
13 Feb 2014 2:53AM
Thumbs Up

I'd invest in future technology like environmental friendly concepts that would put Australia on the list of leading manufacturers of technology in the world.

beastsurf
WA, 902 posts
13 Feb 2014 12:06AM
Thumbs Up

Technology in reversing the effects of climate change.

Clean energy research.

We might need it in the future.

Dezman
NSW, 818 posts
13 Feb 2014 4:57AM
Thumbs Up

Boat people!!!
I hear they are willing to pay to come to the free land down under, so how about this?
We build ugly but safe boats and pick them and their money up, take em to some island in the pacific saying this is home.
And Employ them to build more boats!

But seriously I would build schools here and teach those from less fortunate counties to help themselfs 'not building boats though!'
But doctors, farmers etc. then we could get visas and work over there and send money home, and if we were really lucky get a citizenship there.

Gizmo
SA, 2865 posts
13 Feb 2014 9:08AM
Thumbs Up

Major infrastructure are great nation building projects but these days who is going to fund it?..... A financially broke government or the private sector, if it's done privately they will want returns on their capital in a short term (otherwise they might as well put the money into a bank)eg. Tollways.
The Gov. on the other hand may consider the benefits to the population over 25-50 years but the politicians are so short sighted they can't / don't want to see more than their next term in office.

If you had money to invest, what about invest into education companies..... lots of people who want to be educated to get up in life, it eventually will mean you will need a degree to make burgers or collect garbage.

tazmania
WA, 83 posts
13 Feb 2014 6:48AM
Thumbs Up

Water Corps has even done a paper to explain the issues available here.

http://www.environment.gov.au/resource/moving-water-long-distances-grand-schemes-or-pipe-dreams

One of the main things is that whilst a lot of water falls in the top end it doesn't fall in catchment and so can't be collected and stored to allow it to be moved in the first place.

Canals are no good because of evaporation and leakage the canal would in effect be dry by the time it got to a southern city.

Pipes would make the cost of water 100 to 200 times more expensive than you pay now. Eg cost of maintenance of pipes and pumping stations in a desert. Gas
Is easier as it is lighter and doesn't need so many pumps.

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
13 Feb 2014 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

tazmania said..

Water Corps has even done a paper to explain the issues available here.

http://www.environment.gov.au/resource/moving-water-long-distances-grand-schemes-or-pipe-dreams

Really good article
but I am afraid written by Greens and sponsored by Big Industry building desalination plans.
All intention is prove that water schemes are not realistic in modern Australia and local de-sal is only solution.
Few citations that need attention :

a) Victorian plant cost more like 20 billion not 300 million rather
b) simple calculation the 5kw energy at current price cost already more then $1.20 . Where are maintenance cost , filters , membranes, labor etc.

- concern that blocking rivers could affect marine environment and now maybe oceans around the world will dry out (???)

-definitely concern that picture and landscape will be affected - when from desert flora and fauna central Australia could be converted into subtropical plantations and jungles

Now I would like to see another report written and published by CAN DO PEOPLE.
Department speaking for agriculture and industry not Greens ( all the positive proposal is using water saving dishwashers and washing machine - which is not even manufactured in our country but Asia again).

I just can not believe that in vast and dry Australia there is no a single water project that is worth proceeding, as article suggest.

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
13 Feb 2014 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macroscien said..

I guess irrigation channels could be good for windsurfing/ kite surfing along kilometers in straight way

goo.gl/maps/NJFSr

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"50,000 Jobs" started by Macroscien