Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

A good sharts a dead shart.

Created by busterwa > 9 months ago, 3 Jun 2016
Dawn Patrol
WA, 1991 posts
7 Jun 2016 11:46AM
Thumbs Up

I've never said it would.
Nothing will ever make us completely safe aside from wiping them out completely. What it would do is help reduce the risk. Deter the curious.

(There is also footage of charging ones being deterred by the devices. )

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
7 Jun 2016 1:51PM
Thumbs Up

Luckily we have booming mining industry,

so we don't need to worry about potential tourist reaction overseas.

They have much more options to choose, instead of coming to sharky heaven sanctuary.

Just keep in mind and recall the same graph /statistics regarding arriving tourist :

a) before
b) after first tourist is eaten while surfing Surfers Paradise on Gold Coast.

If by a chance happen close to the beach there will be plenty of YouTube and Facebook posts from mobile phones.

By analogy like our Tourist agency advice against travel to troubled Middle East, there will be similar warnings in Europe and Asia that in Australia the protected species on the beaches are sharks not a tourist.

Gradient
WA, 81 posts
7 Jun 2016 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MDSXR6T said..

Dawn Patrol said...
Those photos are crap. That isn't fishing for food. That's fishing for fun, to catch the biggest. Shows real big balls...It's in the same bag as trophy hunting. Real tough guys...
Still wonder how many of you pro kill guys have purchased a surfsafe or similar? Or you all too lazy to be proactive, just want the simple outdated solution?

You've got rocks in your head if you think a surf safe or anything else is going to stop a 15ft,1000kg shark in its tracks.. the proof is in the pudding and it's great that people are trialling new ideas but until they open that cage door and personally swim out, i won't believe they work on anything somewhat aggressive.

I still think let game boys catch them and release them with a live tracking tag. Game fishermen get to catch the most badass thing in the ocean, it swims off and fisheries can monitor them in real time. If there really is only 749 left then its unlikely they will all be swimming within 2 or 3km of the coast. Everyone wins

You're right, proof is in the pudding! Shark Shield has been around since the 90's and has been proven to work, no one has ever been bitten with one on. I've seen footage of a very intent GW doing a back flip when it reached a surf safe unit. I'd absolutely get in the water with a GW with a shark shield unit and would certainly use one in WA at this time of the year.

Tequila !
WA, 854 posts
7 Jun 2016 12:31PM
Thumbs Up

Already has happened near the beach (Cott at waist deep water) and also a tourist been on the menu the other day when the American got nibbled in Rottnest while diving.

There was the Wild encounters Tourist guide female diver who lost a limb during a tour a few years ago near Garden Island.
So many cases is hard to keep track.

That should be the next tourism slogan. Come to WA and a close encounter is on the menu...for our sharks.

Apart from the finning and other shaite in some photos, the others I don't see anything wrong. Its game fishing.
Same happens to Blue Marlins, Sail Fish, and a lot of other animals. If regulated and controlled the number of licenses and animals taken out, no big deal.

You could also put photos from the human victims eaten in half here by the sharks too so we can make our judgement what will have more empathy. I know who I will feel sorry most (sharks or people).

Dawn Patrol
WA, 1991 posts
7 Jun 2016 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

I guess opinions differ. I think game fishing/hunting for is pointless. Regardless of licence or number control. Just a pissing contest.

And that last paragraph is just pathetic and inappropriate.

Razzonater
2224 posts
7 Jun 2016 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gradient said..

MDSXR6T said..

Dawn Patrol said...
Those photos are crap. That isn't fishing for food. That's fishing for fun, to catch the biggest. Shows real big balls...It's in the same bag as trophy hunting. Real tough guys...
Still wonder how many of you pro kill guys have purchased a surfsafe or similar? Or you all too lazy to be proactive, just want the simple outdated solution?

You've got rocks in your head if you think a surf safe or anything else is going to stop a 15ft,1000kg shark in its tracks.. the proof is in the pudding and it's great that people are trialling new ideas but until they open that cage door and personally swim out, i won't believe they work on anything somewhat aggressive.

I still think let game boys catch them and release them with a live tracking tag. Game fishermen get to catch the most badass thing in the ocean, it swims off and fisheries can monitor them in real time. If there really is only 749 left then its unlikely they will all be swimming within 2 or 3km of the coast. Everyone wins

You're right, proof is in the pudding! Shark Shield has been around since the 90's and has been proven to work, no one has ever been bitten with one on. I've seen footage of a very intent GW doing a back flip when it reached a surf safe unit. I'd absolutely get in the water with a GW with a shark shield unit and would certainly use one in WA at this time of the year.

Incorrect gradient their was an abalone diver taken wearing a shark shield, I have friends who were spearfishing off Kalbarri with shark shields who were chased to the boat by a large GW, both friends de-activated their shark shields as they believed that this is what attracted the GW to start with.....
In the case of the abalone diver it was found that the shark shield was not activated at the time of attack, I believe that it was deliberately turned off.

I too have purchased a shark shield and found it to be ineffective at keeping large sharks at bay, it did for a while provide some mental relief however in real life shark scenarios did not hold its own.

In prior comments it was noted my claims are unsubstantiated by yourself, apologies after spending 10 years commercial fishing and diving with GW sharks in the location of the area fished I didn't know a guy cruising the Caribbean for 2-3 years studying every other shark except great whites could amass such a large amount of information on a shark they had never encountered in real life.

The scientists both of which you referenced are paid to produce statistics suited to the people paying them, just to clarify please can you share with us who was paying them at time of the studies referenced............... Sorry for the lack of big words which have no real weight to the argument.,.

Don't choke on your Kale burger

king of the point
WA, 1836 posts
7 Jun 2016 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

Enough is enough CULL CULL CULL

..........you tell my mate who carried the leg up hanging on half a surf board........... its OK

You tell the family of the diver who was bitten in half ...................its ok

sick of you greenies ................hope your next

The fisheries are a bunch useless sods ...............you telling me they could not even investigate bite marks or do DNA or find wetsuit in its guts to work out if the shark dragged out was the one ..............come on , it should have been taken to the closest marina and had its guts split open

Then to try to catch the divers shark they pull the drum lines in over night .................useless sods

There happy taking our money for boat rego etc etc , fining us for 2 extra Tommie ruffs , but when it comes down to human life there no where to be seen ...........................useless

Sorry but if you enter WA waters swimming surfing paddle boarding diving windsurfing kiting ................your bait

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
7 Jun 2016 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Razzonater said..

Gradient said..

MDSXR6T said..

Dawn Patrol said...

Incorrect gradient their was an abalone diver taken wearing a shark shield, I have friends who were spearfishing off Kalbarri with shark shields who were chased to the boat by a large GW, both friends de-activated their shark shields as they believed that this is what attracted the GW to start with.....
In the case of the abalone diver it was found that the shark shield was not activated at the time of attack, I believe that it was deliberately turned off.

I too have purchased a shark shield and found it to be ineffective at keeping large sharks at bay, it did for a while provide some mental relief however in real life shark scenarios did not hold its own.

In prior comments it was noted my claims are unsubstantiated by yourself, apologies after spending 10 years commercial fishing and diving with GW sharks in the location of the area fished I didn't know a guy cruising the Caribbean for 2-3 years studying every other shark except great whites could amass such a large amount of information on a shark they had never encountered in real life.

The scientists both of which you referenced are paid to produce statistics suited to the people paying them, just to clarify please can you share with us who was paying them at time of the studies referenced............... Sorry for the lack of big words which have no real weight to the argument.,.

Don't choke on your Kale burger

You are the same as the guntards

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
7 Jun 2016 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
king of the point said..

..........you tell my mate who carried the leg up hanging on the end of a surf board its OK

You tell the family of the diver who was bitten in half ...................its ok

The fisheries are a bunch useless sods ...............you telling me they could not even investigate bite marks or do DNA or find wetsuit in its guts to work out if the shark dragged out was the one ..............come on , it should have been taken to the closest marina and had its guts split open

Then to try to catch the divers shark they pull the drum lines in over night .................useless sods

There happy taking our money for boat rego etc etc , fining us for 2 extra Tommie ruffs , but when it comes down to human life there no where to be seen ...........................useless

Sorry but if you enter WA waters swimming surfing paddle boarding diving windsurfing kiting ................your bait

No, your choice!

king of the point
WA, 1836 posts
7 Jun 2016 2:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DARTH said..

king of the point said..

..........you tell my mate who carried the leg up hanging on the end of a surf board its OK

No, your choice!

No peanut ....................The community has to understand this is about reducing risk that now is out of control ...................CULL CULL CULLLLLLLLLLLLLL

king of the point
WA, 1836 posts
7 Jun 2016 2:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
king of the point said..

..........you tell my mate who carried the leg up hanging on the half a surf board its OK

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
7 Jun 2016 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
king of the point said..

DARTH said..

king of the point said..

No, your choice!

No peanut ....................The community has to understand this is about reducing risk that now is out of control ...................CULL CULL CULLLLLLLLLLLLLL

No redneck, reduce your own risk.

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
7 Jun 2016 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MDSXR6T said..

Dawn Patrol said...

I so wish stupid un educated stories like above posted on the internet, were made a chargeable offence

Maybe then you'd think twice about posting them

Dawn Patrol
WA, 1991 posts
7 Jun 2016 4:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Razzonater said...

The scientists both of which you referenced are paid to produce statistics suited to the people paying them, just to clarify please can you share with us who was paying them at time of the studies referenced............... Sorry for the lack of big words which have no real weight to the argument.

Wait what? How many of those guys wearing shark shields got attacked? Oh, the one that had it turned off...Lots of 'beliefs' there. There is zero evidence that shark shields bring in sharks from long range.
You're still here after encounters while wearing a shield. How is that an argument against them.
There is still noone that has been attacked while wearing an active shark shield. Your belief the diver turned his off is pure speculation.

I don't know if you know many people in research. I do. None of them doctor results or twist the truth to please who is funding them. Unexpected results usually spark more interest amongst their peers. I'm sure dodgy please people do exist, theyd be a minority.

japie
NSW, 6813 posts
7 Jun 2016 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbshack said..
MDSXR6T said..

Dawn Patrol said...

I so wish stupid un educated stories like above posted on the internet, were made a chargeable offence

Maybe then you'd think twice about posting them

On the contrary JB I reckon they actually help the cause of reason. Many rednecks on the other side of the argument can only ever help your side !

MDSXR6T
WA, 1019 posts
7 Jun 2016 4:41PM
Thumbs Up

Jb, don't be silly mate, you're talking about a hunting animal bigger than a car and doing 40kmh. It isn't being stopped by a bloody electronic device the size of a phone and they certainly can't just stop and do a ****ing backflip, even the momentum will hurt you.

I assume you have 1 or more of these devices so its great your now safe from the local mindarie wobbigong population but lets just hope that big whites have gone elsewhere.

Post the videos of people (not dummys of anything else) fending off an excited 4m+ shark with a surf safe / shark shield / waterproof mobile phone and i'll forever be a believer.

Edit: Would you honestly be fine with your kids leaving the safety of a shark cage to pat the cute sharkies wearing only a shark shield?

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
7 Jun 2016 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MDSXR6T said..
Jb, don't be silly mate, you're talking about a hunting animal bigger than a car and doing 40kmh. It isn't being stopped by a bloody electronic device the size of a phone and they certainly can't just stop and do a ****ing backflip, even the momentum will hurt you.

I assume you have 1 or more of these devices so its great your now safe from the local mindarie wobbigong population but lets just hope that big whites have gone elsewhere.

Post the videos of people (not dummys of anything else) fending off an excited 4m+ shark with a surf safe / shark shield / waterproof mobile phone and i'll forever be a believer.

How about providing something more than pudding to prove that you know better than some of the worlds leading shark biologists

I got to say, I'm so glad people like you are well in the minority.

Gazuki
WA, 1363 posts
7 Jun 2016 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbshack said...
MDSXR6T said..

How about providing something more than pudding to prove that you know better than some of the worlds leading shark biologists

That last graph is disproportionate, it filled by city hippys who dont even use the ocean.

Spare a though for the 1000's of use that have to earn our living in the ocean.??
How do think your coms cable got laid,. food comes from, transport maintained and the energy that run the country.

Its call work place safety and risk management.

Lets learn from the past when we all enjoyed the ocean, carefree, when we used to keep the numbers down,..remember that

MDSXR6T
WA, 1019 posts
7 Jun 2016 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

No point arguing with bjshark.. he's so one eyed about saving every single white shark, their food and environment that he's forgotten he's making money by selling fishing boats

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
7 Jun 2016 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MDSXR6T said..
No point arguing with bjshark.. he's so one eyed about saving every single white shark, their food and environment that he's forgotten he's making money by selling fishing boats

What no pudding

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
7 Jun 2016 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

Another option
that may not solve the problem but somehow circumnavigate it could be :
Shark Insurance Compulsory Compensation.
Since government is not interested in resolving the problem or unable to do so,there is compensation paid for every serious shark accident to the victim or his family.

Say 20 mln dollars for limb lost.

30 for for life
5 for serious bite.

Then after few years of paying compensation government may rethink over option, like drums, that could be cheaper .

Tequila !
WA, 854 posts
7 Jun 2016 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

jbshack said..

And who says the MAJORITY is right all the time?
There is heaps of examples in history that a position supported by the democratic majority turned to a disaster later.

We are living the Shark regime days for sure. Time to retire the water boards and only skateboard from now on. Long life the sharkos Heil.

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
7 Jun 2016 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
novetti said..

jbshack said..

I even gave you a green for that, enjoy those pavements..

southace
SA, 4762 posts
7 Jun 2016 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

The sad fact most marine biologist get there degree after leaving Uni but have no bloody idea what's going on in the oceans . support Ban the berly on Facebook. it may help.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
7 Jun 2016 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MDSXR6T said...
cauncy said...
No not really, I was up shark bay, dhi last week kiting couple of weeks back,
Kited over plenty of sharks in varied length from reef to 10/12 ft, the recent footage of the 70 sharks having a feed in the passage wasn't that far away,
I accept I'm in their water, I'm not a shark hugger , but I certainly wouldn't want to see them killed for my pleasure, both my kids love the ocean and surf , but are aware of the risk,
Everyone complains about crowded waves, too many kiters, imagine a risk free ocean,
You carnt have it all

Yet you're happy to post photos of you proudly holding snapper, dhuies and crays but you don't want to kill a shark?

You saw loads of sharks up north (no whites though and lets face it most other sharks wont attack you) and thats great but you do realise a few weeks ago i killed 2 smaller sharks (for food) and it was fine and legal. Plenty of other people do and yet the balance is still there isnt it? Why is a white different?

Koalas were/are being culled over east because some populations are starving and are rife with chlyamidia. Most normal people see the science behind this. It's not a pleasant idea but its the best thing for their survival. If science, tagging programs and research backed this up with white sharks, why is it a problem?

At some point over the next 100 years humpback whale numbers may be out of control. What then? We'll sit at the dinner table eating fish, chicken and steak and be outraged at the Japanese taking a few dozen.

From there we can take it right to the top of the food chain, humans, but it gets a little confronting.

You have some answers right there
You catch sharks, why not prime eating fish?
The same reason fishos have boats capable of going long distances in search of a feed,
We've overfished which is an important food source for juvenile whites, big whites primary feed is seals, sealions, small whale, these are coastal inhabitants so naturally will attract the big whites , I had a few days with a shark researcher off dhi around 7 years back, he made reference to sharks being more placid in this region of plentiful food compared to heavily populated and overfished areas, I often fished with my dis guarded fish carcasses laying below me and witnessed large tigers not being that interested,
We had a few discussions , in his opinion he was certain that mistaken identity was the reason for attacks,after the initial attack a white rarely takes a human but never leaves a seal was one of his quotes, a few weeks ago at gracetown whilst watching my kids surf looked out at surfers looking very similar to a colony of seals,
The mindarie victim had fishos very close, a possibility of burley was a thought which naturally attracts ,
As for their numbers getting out of control rapidly I'd say that's a bit of an exaggeration ,
25 years or so for males to reach and 35 for a female to reach sexual maturity,
Why are koalas starving, lack of natural food is my bet, ( destruction of natural habitat for housing) there's a link there,
So if we knock them on the head what happens to seals and sealions numbers as they've now no predator to keep their numbers under natural control, then the big decrease in the sealions/ seals natural food and so it goes on along the chain
Yeh I love a fish,only for a feed though and never for the freezer, I'll put plenty back and wouldn't dream of fishing for certain species,
I'll still be kiting even if gw numbers grow
As will the majority of surfers and ocean lovers,
I kite as it has a feeling of risk, same as when I boxed or went mad on my bike, as with any sport you can narrow the risks

Poida
WA, 1916 posts
7 Jun 2016 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

here's a summary of what Ive got from the seabreeze debate:

causes of shark attack
a) burley
b) water temp between 18-20deg C
c) cage divers
d) shark shield turned on
e) shark shield turned off
f) safer in the water than on the road driving
g) seal and whaling industry stopped
h) shark fishing stopped
i) guns banned
j) going into the ocean - belongs to the sharks
k) theres only 749 GWS's along the WA coast
l) over fishing
m) excess of salmon

keep up the debate. its good to hear all the opinions

I'm just going to keep up my ocean sports for now.
its safer than being a cyclist

busterwa
3777 posts
8 Jun 2016 10:28AM
Thumbs Up

Razzonater
2224 posts
8 Jun 2016 11:27AM
Thumbs Up

Shark Shield is the only electrical repellent on the market that's been independently shown to be effective at deterring sharks from biting. The electrical field is created by a two-metre cord that trails behind the user. For divers and swimmers, the device is wrapped around the ankle (Freedom 7, $749), while for surfers and kayaks there's a different model (Surf 7, $749) that requires installation directly onto a board.While Shark Shield can deter a shark from attacking, it won't do so every time. The most recent study of the device by scientists at the University of Western Australia (UWA) found it prevented great whites and tiger sharks from attacking most of the time, but it wasn't always effective. An earlier study by the South Australian Research and Development Institute also found the device was effective in deterring great whites, but noted it didn't "deter or repel this species in all situations, nor did it repel all individuals". And user reports back this up. A South Australian abalone diver told CHOICE he knew of two people who had been attacked while wearing a Shark Shield. But while Shark Shield has been shown to be effective at least some of the time, it turns out not all electrical repellents are created equally. UWA researchers found that electrical repellents compacted into an anklet were ineffective at repelling sharks.As Dr Charlie Huveneers, a shark expert at Flinders University explains, "the effectiveness of an electrical deterrent partly depends on the strength and frequency of the electrical pulse they emit and configuration of the electrodes".The trailing cord of the Shark Shield means the electrodes are spread far apart, but the electrodes are much closer together on anklet devices, offering less protection.

Razzonater
2224 posts
8 Jun 2016 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

Shark Shield is the only electrical repellent on the market that's been independently shown to be effective at deterring sharks from biting. The electrical field is created by a two-metre cord that trails behind the user. For divers and swimmers, the device is wrapped around the ankle (Freedom 7, $749), while for surfers and kayaks there's a different model (Surf 7, $749) that requires installation directly onto a board.While Shark Shield can deter a shark from attacking, it won't do so every time. The most recent study of the device by scientists at the University of Western Australia (UWA) found it prevented great whites and tiger sharks from attacking most of the time, but it wasn't always effective. An earlier study by the South Australian Research and Development Institute also found the device was effective in deterring great whites, but noted it didn't "deter or repel this species in all situations, nor did it repel all individuals". And user reports back this up. A South Australian abalone diver told CHOICE he knew of two people who had been attacked while wearing a Shark Shield. But while Shark Shield has been shown to be effective at least some of the time, it turns out not all electrical repellents are created equally. UWA researchers found that electrical repellents compacted into an anklet were ineffective at repelling sharks.As Dr Charlie Huveneers, a shark expert at Flinders University explains, "the effectiveness of an electrical deterrent partly depends on the strength and frequency of the electrical pulse they emit and configuration of the electrodes".The trailing cord of the Shark Shield means the electrodes are spread far apart, but the electrodes are much closer together on anklet devices, offering less protection.

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"A good sharts a dead shart." started by busterwa