Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

A good sharts a dead shart.

Created by busterwa > 9 months ago, 3 Jun 2016
jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
8 Jun 2016 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

Razz im not sure what your trying to prove their.
The first video is about a product that no is talking about Shark bands..
The second story is from The herald sun, that could be part of your problem is you believe anything main stream media writes
The last one is story from a Tech website that talks about a fatality on some one who was wearing a Shark shield. Well in the below comment is a link to the coroners report but also this little snippet.
So the link you provided to prove that Shark Shields don't work, also provides the proof that your article is floored and wrong
Im not sure 100% how a shark shield works, but I'm guessing they need to be worn to be effective.

As for you first post talking about recent studies on them. You said they do deter a shark, that was what the study found, to be honest the study found they deterred the sharks approach 9 out of 10 times. Thats not bad odds. That was a peer reviewed report and testing.

Technology changes and gets better. your providing evidence from early products and using that against what the product is today. Im sure if i looked into seat belts i could find write ups from their early introduction that were negative.

Honestly though if you don't want to buy a electronic product thats fine. Its your life, but don't provide false negative evidence that may deter someone else from buying one. If you persist in doing so, its bad form

busterwa
3777 posts
8 Jun 2016 12:52PM
Thumbs Up

Heres my recent study.

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
8 Jun 2016 12:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
busterwa said..
Heres my recent study.

troll

Razzonater
2224 posts
8 Jun 2016 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbshack said..
Razz im not sure what your trying to prove their.
The first video is about a product that no is talking about Shark bands..
The second story is from The herald sun, that could be part of your problem is you believe anything main stream media writes
The last one is story from a Tech website that talks about a fatality on some one who was wearing a Shark shield. Well in the below comment is a link to the coroners report but also this little snippet.
So the link you provided to prove that Shark Shields don't work, also provides the proof that your article is floored and wrong
Im not sure 100% how a shark shield works, but I'm guessing they need to be worn to be effective.

As for you first post talking about recent studies on them. You said they do deter a shark, that was what the study found, to be honest the study found they deterred the sharks approach 9 out of 10 times. Thats not bad odds. That was a peer reviewed report and testing.

Technology changes and gets better. your providing evidence from early products and using that against what the product is today. Im sure if i looked into seat belts i could find write ups from their early introduction that were negative.

Honestly though if you don't want to buy a electronic product thats fine. Its your life, but don't provide false negative evidence that may deter someone else from buying one. If you persist in doing so, its bad form

JB there are numerous reports of shark shields being ineffective or actually attracting sharks to people, to say that I am providing poor judgement and dissuading people from buying a shark shield as being irresponsible..... To openly tell people that they stop sharks attacking all the time just lulls people into a false sense of security. Old mate gradient reckons he would happily jump in solo whilst wearing a shark shield to swim with great whites..... That sort of statement is not only irresponsible but states that their is no way a shark will attack you when your wearing one..

People on numerous occasions have been attacked whilst wearing shark shields
People on numerous occasions have been wearing shark shields turned around and their is a shark their sussing out what this strange electrical current is they can sense.
When a fish is thrashing around dying it gives off an electrical current which attracts sharks
When a cray rubs its feelers together it makes a noise and attracts sharks.
Sharks like to bite the anodes on props on boats and outboard props due to the anodes giving electrical charge.
When a shark shield is turned on it emits and electrical pulse which can attract sharks......

Show me one piece of footage or evidence where a shark shield has stopped a shark whilst charging or with blood in the water or where gradient jumps in whilst people are cage diving and swims over with his little shark shield towards a 5 metre fish and gives the shark a little pat on the head.

It is completely unrealistic, delusional and irresponsible to say shark shields are the silver bullet to shark attacks.

I have owned one albeit one of the first models at 800 dollars, whilst it was on and wearing it I was chased in by a friendly 4 metre tiger shark up north. I really wish I had taken the time to talk to him, Maybe he was just showing me his teeth as he needed them cleaned or he had a piece of starfish stuck between them.......

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
8 Jun 2016 2:01PM
Thumbs Up

^^Yawn

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
8 Jun 2016 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

Okay Razz, so you don't believe the science, i get that.

But can you tell me did you vaccinate your children Because theres is loads of websites and people, saying they are bad, hey even children have been permanently effected by negative affects from vaccinating, i have a good friend that had just that experience, but that doesn't mean it should be discounted..

As for what Gradient says, can you not see he has some real experience in this field Hopefully he doesn't mind me sharing, but he spent the time also to educate himself. We could learn a lot from people with genuine experience and knowledge, of and qualifications, instead of fear mongering

ThinkaBowtit
WA, 1134 posts
8 Jun 2016 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

^^ What's going on with the shark in that pic?

Razzonater
2224 posts
8 Jun 2016 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ThinkaBowtit said..

He is pretending to be dead whilst the one in the background moves in to do some chomping

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
8 Jun 2016 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ThinkaBowtit said..

Its swimming up to a bird, all be it slowly. The shark is not a great white, its a Guadalupe White. (From memory) In Hawaii. This is the site were you can go and cage dive with the sharks. It just so happen if you know their temperaments you can also swim lose with them, but its not for business. Sadly the weather for me was a bit rough and viability needs to be perfect.. Cool shot though..

ThinkaBowtit
WA, 1134 posts
8 Jun 2016 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

Oh, I thought it was singing. Or groaning..."Aaaagh, stop coming near me you stupid humans. I am a magnificent creature and if you keep getting in my space I shall have to eat you. And you taste like ****. I have a reputation to uphold. Aaaagh..."

ThinkaBowtit
WA, 1134 posts
8 Jun 2016 2:53PM
Thumbs Up

Is someone dangling the bird from a boat?

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
8 Jun 2016 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

Razzonater said..

ThinkaBowtit said..

He is pretending to be dead whilst the one in the background moves in to do some chomping

There was about two or three around 3 to 3.5 mtr in size..

If you understand sharks temperament you can learn a lot. For example if a Tiger shark swam in whilst we were in the water, if we didn't make eye contact it would have come closer. Once we made eye contact, being shy they would swim off and try another approach angle.

But i will say, Tiger sharks and many other smaller sharks are different animals, than a great white, but the people in know, the lady in the photo, these are the people who would should look to for some help and answers, instead of the internet and a made who once saw a shark..

As for shark shields, i bet their would be heaps that don't work, i see they have a bit or warranty issue but the science is still sound. Sorry Raz i don't know of any attacks that people just happened to be filming. But go to their web page the is over 6 pages of testimonials.

This one i always found interesting. A charging shark was stopped mid attack, so either it can work (Science says it does 90% of the time) or this guy is lying..

Saved from a White PointerWestern Angler (www.westernangler.com.au),
22nd Sept 2011
The following information is from a blog on Western Angler. Shark Shield has also been made aware of this event by several other sources who have spoken directly to Geoff & his wife.Geoff had just bought some new dive gear and wanted to test it out prior to the cray season. Both Geoff and his wife took their 7 mtr ally boat to Busselton (Western Australia) where they launched and headed to a calm patch of water in Meelup Bay. This was about 1 week after the body boarder got taken at Bunkers. This was also Geoff’s wife’s first boat dive.They had enjoyed some time on the bottom when they decided to ascend to the surface from around 12 mtrs down. They were near the boat and Geoff was several metres’ ahead of his wife heading towards the transom.Before getting on to the boat Geoff looked back at his wife and saw what he thought was a whale heading towards her. It instantly became apparent it was a massive white pointer as it came directly up to Geoff’s wife and stopped level with her, 3 metres away.Geoff’s wife had a very clear view of the front of the shark and described how she could see every little wrinkle cut and ripple in its huge face.After what must have seemed like an eternity the shark dropped to the bottom and at the same time Geoff made contact with his wife and he pulled her back to the transom.As he was helping her to the back of the boat the white who was now on the bottom and directly underneath them, went from cruise mode to all ahead engines, in a split second it finned hard and arched up coming directly at them both with no sign of stopping.At that point Geoff thought this was his last moments and was in disbelief thinking this is it, this how I’m going to die. As he watched the shark move in he realised that there was nothing left to do, at the last moment the great white hit the brakes and shook its head side to side like a person does as they walk into an unseen spider web.The white then veered off and pushed into the blue. Not believing his luck Geoff got his wife on the transom but could not get up himself because she was blocking the way.There was a certain amount of directness in his voice when he asked her to move into the boat. She was frozen and simply could not move. Geoff with a full kit of scuba gear pulled himself up over the transom and his wife and fell into the boat backwards. As he reached over to bring his wife in, the white cruised under the transom and hung around the boat for a few more moments.Geoff also explained he had a Shark Shield on and is in no doubt that at the moment of pause that is what saved his life.His wife did not have a shield and this may explain why the white sized her up and set up an attack from the bottom.
What the white didn’t bank on was the shield that now enveloped Geoff and his wife.Geoff didn’t make the footage public out of respect for the very recent sad event that took place a few days earlier. He did call the police and after they got into the boat they headed towards the shore and warned nearby paddlers and swimmers.(www.westernangler.com.au/forum/topic?id=2529&p=3)

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
8 Jun 2016 2:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ThinkaBowtit said..
Is someone dangling the bird from a boat?

Nope.

king of the point
WA, 1836 posts
8 Jun 2016 3:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DARTH said..

king of the point said..

DARTH said..

king of the point said..
Enough is enough CULL CULL CULL

..........you tell my mate who carried the leg up hanging on the end of a surf board its OK

You tell the family of the diver who was bitten in half ...................its ok

sick of you greenies ................hope your next

The fisheries are a bunch useless sods ...............you telling me they could not even investigate bite marks or do DNA or find wetsuit in its guts to work out if the shark dragged out was the one ..............come on , it should have been taken to the closest marina and had its guts split open

Then to try to catch the divers shark they pull the drum lines in over night .................useless sods

There happy taking our money for boat rego etc etc , fining us for 2 extra Tommie ruffs , but when it comes down to human life there no where to be seen ...........................useless

Sorry but if you enter WA waters swimming surfing paddle boarding diving windsurfing kiting ................your bait

No, your choice!

No peanut ....................The community has to understand this is about reducing risk that now is out of control ...................CULL CULL CULLLLLLLLLLLLLL

No redneck, reduce your own risk.

Yes I will / ILL tell the WORLD AND anyone and everyone who enters the WESTERN AUSTRALIAN waterS there is a REAL CHANCE OF BEING BITTEN IN HALF .............

ABOUT TIME THEY STARTED PUTTING UP HUGE BILLBOARD SIGNS / and at places where people have lost there lives / why not every coastal council OR as you enter WA SAY at the international airport

.................I got a good start for you

WESTERN AUSTRALIA / wait a while in the water and youll be in two (may be some limbs , like the smoke advertising)

or

Thanks for visiting WA you survived lets let the sharks thrive YOU done well to survive

that will reduce some risk

Die greenies die

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
8 Jun 2016 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
king of the point said..

DARTH said..

king of the point said..

DARTH said..

king of the point said..

..........you tell my mate who carried the leg up hanging on the end of a surf board its OK

You tell the family of the diver who was bitten in half ...................its ok

The fisheries are a bunch useless sods ...............you telling me they could not even investigate bite marks or do DNA or find wetsuit in its guts to work out if the shark dragged out was the one ..............come on , it should have been taken to the closest marina and had its guts split open

Then to try to catch the divers shark they pull the drum lines in over night .................useless sods

There happy taking our money for boat rego etc etc , fining us for 2 extra Tommie ruffs , but when it comes down to human life there no where to be seen ...........................useless

Sorry but if you enter WA waters swimming surfing paddle boarding diving windsurfing kiting ................your bait

No, your choice!

No peanut ....................The community has to understand this is about reducing risk that now is out of control ...................CULL CULL CULLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Yes I will / ILL tell the WORLD AND anyone and everyone who enters the WESTERN AUSTRALIAN waterS there is a REAL CHANCE OF BEING BITTEN IN HALF .............

ABOUT TIME THEY STARTED PUTTING UP HUGE BILLBOARD SIGNS / and at places where people have lost there lives / why not every coastal council OR as you enter WA SAY at the international airport

WESTERN AUSTRALIA / wait a while in the water and youll be in two (may be some limbs , like the smoke advertising)

or

Thanks for visiting WA you survived lets let the sharks thrive YOU done well to survive

Die greenies die

Id support that promotion. Why not their is already two signs for people who drowned at my local..

The problem you have is the government, every decision he makes is based around business and tourism is high on his agenda, thats why he won't look for real answers and solutions that could help.

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
8 Jun 2016 3:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
king of the point said..

DARTH said..

king of the point said..

DARTH said..

king of the point said..

No, your choice!

or

Die greenies die

If left up to you the planet would die. You are a moron of the highest order

jn1
2454 posts
8 Jun 2016 3:59PM
Thumbs Up

Question for windsurfers/kiters/SUP'ers in WA: How often do you see GWs ?

This isn't a loaded question, I am just curious. In the 8 years I have been sailing, I have seen 1 shark sail under me. I think it was pretty small, I'm not sure what type. This was in metro Adelaide. The SA shark alert facebook page reports shark (all species) sighting on average once a day in summer, and one every month in winter. Most of the identified metro sharks are bronzies.

king of the point
WA, 1836 posts
8 Jun 2016 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DARTH said...
king of the point said..

DARTH said..

king of the point said..

DARTH said..

king of the point said..

No, your choice!

or

Die greenies die

If left up to you the planet would die. You are a moron of the highest order

Cull you and jdshack to extinction nefore id reduce a few around the metro area

Razzonater
2224 posts
8 Jun 2016 4:13PM
Thumbs Up

jbshack said...
Razzonater said..

ThinkaBowtit said..

There was about two or three around 3 to 3.5 mtr in size..

If you understand sharks temperament you can learn a lot. For example if a Tiger shark swam in whilst we were in the water, if we didn't make eye contact it would have come closer. Once we made eye contact, being shy they would swim off and try another approach angle.

But i will say, Tiger sharks and many other smaller sharks are different animals, than a great white, but the people in know, the lady in the photo, these are the people who would should look to for some help and answers, instead of the internet and a made who once saw a shark..

As for shark shields, i bet their would be heaps that don't work, i see they have a bit or warranty issue but the science is still sound. Sorry Raz i don't know of any attacks that people just happened to be filming. But go to their web page the is over 6 pages of testimonials.

This one i always found interesting. A charging shark was stopped mid attack, so either it can work (Science says it does 90% of the time) or this guy is lying..

Saved from a White PointerWestern Angler (www.westernangler.com.au),
22nd Sept 2011
The following information is from a blog on Western Angler. Shark Shield has also been made aware of this event by several other sources who have spoken directly to Geoff & his wife.Geoff had just bought some new dive gear and wanted to test it out prior to the cray season. Both Geoff and his wife took their 7 mtr ally boat to Busselton (Western Australia) where they launched and headed to a calm patch of water in Meelup Bay. This was about 1 week after the body boarder got taken at Bunkers. This was also Geoff’s wife’s first boat dive.They had enjoyed some time on the bottom when they decided to ascend to the surface from around 12 mtrs down. They were near the boat and Geoff was several metres’ ahead of his wife heading towards the transom.Before getting on to the boat Geoff looked back at his wife and saw what he thought was a whale heading towards her. It instantly became apparent it was a massive white pointer as it came directly up to Geoff’s wife and stopped level with her, 3 metres away.Geoff’s wife had a very clear view of the front of the shark and described how she could see every little wrinkle cut and ripple in its huge face.After what must have seemed like an eternity the shark dropped to the bottom and at the same time Geoff made contact with his wife and he pulled her back to the transom.As he was helping her to the back of the boat the white who was now on the bottom and directly underneath them, went from cruise mode to all ahead engines, in a split second it finned hard and arched up coming directly at them both with no sign of stopping.At that point Geoff thought this was his last moments and was in disbelief thinking this is it, this how I’m going to die. As he watched the shark move in he realised that there was nothing left to do, at the last moment the great white hit the brakes and shook its head side to side like a person does as they walk into an unseen spider web.The white then veered off and pushed into the blue. Not believing his luck Geoff got his wife on the transom but could not get up himself because she was blocking the way.There was a certain amount of directness in his voice when he asked her to move into the boat. She was frozen and simply could not move. Geoff with a full kit of scuba gear pulled himself up over the transom and his wife and fell into the boat backwards. As he reached over to bring his wife in, the white cruised under the transom and hung around the boat for a few more moments.Geoff also explained he had a Shark Shield on and is in no doubt that at the moment of pause that is what saved his life.His wife did not have a shield and this may explain why the white sized her up and set up an attack from the bottom.
What the white didn’t bank on was the shield that now enveloped Geoff and his wife.Geoff didn’t make the footage public out of respect for the very recent sad event that took place a few days earlier. He did call the police and after they got into the boat they headed towards the shore and warned nearby paddlers and swimmers.(www.westernangler.com.au/forum/topic?id=2529&p=3)

Six pages of testimonials from people who for the most part (75% had never seen a shark over years of diving prior to the wearing of a shark shield) had a shark interaction whilst the shark shield was on and being worn............ You don't think there is any chance that they attract sharks?????
This is a strange percentile of interaction for how many people own shark shields compared to those that don't........,.,,,

Tequila !
WA, 931 posts
8 Jun 2016 5:01PM
Thumbs Up

What? Sharks interacting and not swimming for they lives in close presence of these shields? And we are reading all the sharko huggers saying the gadget works?
Maybe people missed "eye contact" to scare the shark off. Like i saw the other day in one of these dating reality tv shows as soon as a guy (thinking he was a seal) shared eye contact with a whale it made him paddle those flippers and swim away lightening fast!

Poida
WA, 1916 posts
8 Jun 2016 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

another one for my list ?

should've made eye contact

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
8 Jun 2016 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

Razz its part of the law of physics that the power output of a shark shield can not be detected more than 15 m away. It has a working range of 7 m but can be sensed up to 15m .
A great white shark will detect your heart beat from 100 m. The senses that the electronic field are designed to work against, are used by sharks to find prey with in meters only..

dmitri
VIC, 1040 posts
8 Jun 2016 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

This sort of "shark expert" advices the media and the goverments on the shark policies

www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/shark-attack-dr-chris-neff-says-water-temperature-is-common-factor-in-was-fatal-shark-attacks-ng-ec2098ba61db2a7dd9d027a273791beb

The "shark expert" profile

au.linkedin.com/in/christopherlneff

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
8 Jun 2016 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ThinkaBowtit said..

they sleep standing up just like horses

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
8 Jun 2016 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

We should catch all big sharks alive.
Pack them on ships and release to Mediterranean See.
United Europe will pay us every money to scare immigrants from their shores.

jn1
2454 posts
8 Jun 2016 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macroscien said..

Why kill them ?. What I was eluding to in my question above (nobody has answered) is: if they are so common at southern WA shores, why not give sharks that come into the popular spots a shock with electricity with a low powered small harpoon ?. Shark experts: would this idea work as a deterrent ?. The problem I see with killing something, is the knowledge is lost.

Tequila !
WA, 931 posts
8 Jun 2016 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

This sort of "shark expert" advices the media and the goverments on the shark policies www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/shark-attack-dr-chris-neff-says-water-temperature-is-common-factor-in-was-fatal-shark-attacks-ng-ec2098ba61db2a7dd9d027a273791beb The "shark expert" profile au.linkedin.com/in/christopherlneff

Holy fark the guy is a PHD in Public Policy and blah blah.

Didn't read long enough to see anything about marine biologist and environment.

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
8 Jun 2016 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

novetti said..
This sort of "shark expert" advices the media and the goverments on the shark policies www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/shark-attack-dr-chris-neff-says-water-temperature-is-common-factor-in-was-fatal-shark-attacks-ng-ec2098ba61db2a7dd9d027a273791beb The "shark expert" profile au.linkedin.com/in/christopherlneff

Holy fark the guy is a PHD in Public Policy and blah blah.

Didn't read long enough to see anything about marine biologist and environment.

This guy is expert in " Don't ask, don't answer " policy.

Now you are safe.

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"A good sharts a dead shart." started by busterwa