Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

Snow 2019

Created by FormulaNova > 9 months ago, 28 May 2019
FormulaNova
WA, 14419 posts
28 May 2019 6:05AM
Thumbs Up

What a difference a week makes, although I think those in Sydney would understand why. Its cold!

Last week:

This week:

quikdrawMcgraw
1221 posts
28 May 2019 6:50AM
Thumbs Up

Never even seen the stuff

Tonz
511 posts
28 May 2019 6:55AM
Thumbs Up

machines can make any crap these days.

TonyAbbott
875 posts
28 May 2019 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Can not be snow, snow does not exist because we did not give politicians enough money to stop the climate from changing naturally or otherwise

FormulaNova
WA, 14419 posts
28 May 2019 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TonyAbbott said..
Can not be snow, snow does not exist because we did not give politicians enough money to stop the climate from changing naturally or otherwise

If you were in Sydney for the last month you would think that climate change had/has already hit us. It was weather more like spring than winter and its only this week that it has gone cold. An article was saying that we should have seen this weather a month ago.

Luckily for us snow skiiers, they can make snow when its cold enough, even if there is no natural precipitation. The last few days there have been natural snow falls, so its a good start, but the long range forecast was not meant to be that great. Hopefully snow making changes that.

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
28 May 2019 1:38PM
Thumbs Up

Mount Hotham overnight..

Fingers crossed it will be a great season..

quikdrawMcgraw
1221 posts
28 May 2019 2:13PM
Thumbs Up

^ pretty good machine

Manawa
132 posts
28 May 2019 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

Wow ton of snow in Australia, in Italy now is spring but is still snowing, crazy, can you put some pics about ski from Australia? You have good waves but also good ski slope?

Craig66
NSW, 2450 posts
28 May 2019 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Manawa said..
Wow ton of snow in Australia, in Italy now is spring but is still snowing, crazy, can you put some pics about ski from Australia? You have good waves but also good ski slope?

There you go Manawa

Tonz
511 posts
28 May 2019 5:45PM
Thumbs Up

want to get a great look at the quality of the snow but cant enlarge the pics

Manawa
132 posts
28 May 2019 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Craig66 said..

Manawa said..

There you go Manawa

I am coming , can I have whatsApp of these girls, I wold like teach them some ski tips for free very nice this Australian forum

dratts
NSW, 18 posts
29 May 2019 7:21AM
Thumbs Up

Those pictures should be titled now, for the snow covered one, and opening weekend for the one with out snow :)

Harrow
NSW, 4521 posts
29 May 2019 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

Another bumper snow season coming up. This global warming is great!

FormulaNova
WA, 14419 posts
29 May 2019 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Harrow said..
Another bumper snow season coming up. This global warming is great!

Yeah, don't spook it! The long range forecast was suggesting not such a good season based on climate whatever thingies. I guess they base this on previous years and the outcomes.

Perisher have announced they are opening early, on Friday. In a great season this could be just the start of it, in a bad season this could be the best of it as it dwindles off...

It is good to see though. I think last year we had nothing on opening day, but then a week later or something there was snow?

Manawa
132 posts
5 Jun 2019 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

Ton of snow in Australia, are you ready for ski carving? Go big guys or go home. Send some pics.

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
8 Aug 2019 1:17PM
Thumbs Up

Just got back from Mount Hotham after a week of skiing. Today they are having a great dump, (By Australian standards) ..

What i wanted to post was a huge thanks to Padi from the Wandi Pub. He picked us up from Albury and delivered us directly to our hotel. Stopped and picked up Pre ordered food at Woolies in Bright on the way. Grabbed us and returned us to the airport for our trip home.
A real local and travel time in the car of maybe 2 hours each way. Much better than a 6 hour bus trip..

If your flying in from out of state, this way i would strongly suggest. Their are a few people who do it, but Padi was organized through Hoys for us and highly recommend so just wanted to share and say thanks..

Harrow
NSW, 4521 posts
8 Aug 2019 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

Wondering whether to switch over to snowboarding this year? It looks awkward.

FormulaNova
WA, 14419 posts
8 Aug 2019 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Harrow said..

I think snowboarders actually have it easier than skiers. I spent a day last season practicing on a snowboard and having legs locked together seems easier than skiing. I guess the kiting experience I have now makes it easier as well.

slide
8 posts
9 Aug 2019 1:25AM
Thumbs Up

is there a kite landboarding section , if not can we have one plz, I have been doing this sport since 2003, it is kitesurfing on a hard beach , with a light weight mountain board , check out my avatar/picture

Main
QLD, 2327 posts
9 Aug 2019 4:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Harrow said..

I did both - too many injuries snowboarding and you are always wet.... skiiing is way easier

Harrow
NSW, 4521 posts
9 Aug 2019 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Main said..
I did both - too many injuries snowboarding and you are always wet.... skiiing is way easier

I've been skiing for 40 years, well past the point of ever falling over, so which is easier is not the question for me. I know I'm not going to come close to my skiing ability with a snowboard, but just wondering if it's fun to try for a change, or is it eternally frustrating? Would be great if it does have the flowing feeling of riding a board on water, but I seem to see a lot of people just sliding down the hill sideways on the edge of the board just to get to the next flat spot so they can push themselves along with one foot. It's as if the concept of riding a snowboard doesn't match the reality. Is that an accurate take? I wonder if it would be better in deep snow, might be more like a wave then.

FormulaNova
WA, 14419 posts
9 Aug 2019 6:53AM
Thumbs Up

If you went snowboarding today, you wouldn't even need to push yourself on the flatspots.

Main
QLD, 2327 posts
9 Aug 2019 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Harrow said..

Main said..

I've been skiing for 40 years, well past the point of ever falling over, so which is easier is not the question for me. I know I'm not going to come close to my skiing ability with a snowboard, but just wondering if it's fun to try for a change, or is it eternally frustrating? Would be great if it does have the flowing feeling of riding a board on water, but I seem to see a lot of people just sliding down the hill sideways on the edge of the board just to get to the next flat spot so they can push themselves along with one foot. It's as if the concept of riding a snowboard doesn't match the reality. Is that an accurate take? I wonder if it would be better in deep snow, might be more like a wave then.

On piste its a pain especially when its a bit icy. Getting around the flats is hard work. Skiing on piste is easier from an enjoyment/hassle perspective.

In powder snowboarding is awesome but then again so is skiing if you have fat skis. Boarding powder on a green slope is near impossible.
You need to be a **** hot boarder to keep up with above average skiers around the mountain generally.

794 posts
9 Aug 2019 8:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Harrow said..

It doesn't look awkward if you are doing it right
The first day is the hardest (get wrist guards, use knee pads) but I was better after my first day boarding than I was after 6 days skiing.
You have plenty of ski experience but snowboarders use the mountain differently (I'm not talking beginners).
I have some older friends that are really good skiers that never switched - their loss!

Some cat tracks can be tricky if they are flat but keep your board flat and your speed.
Its incredible how many intermediate skiers use their poles when they don't need to and you have to call out that you coming up to pass them on the outside.

I find riding with skiers that yes I can bomb the fall line and keep up but not what I want to do,
We want to find gullies with softer snow and surf the banks get some air and carve edge to edge on the wider
A lot of our NZ fields have wicked gullies that are awesome
I am set up duck foot which helped my port tack wave riding.
The acid test was I could edge as good and reduce the heelside blowout.

If you get Flow step in bindings your not wasting time sitting on your arse (getting wet) doing your bindings up.
As you get off chair lift/T bar you kick your foot into back binding and flick the high back up and you are riding.

Love riding powder but spring slush is fun as well.
Give it a go but not your first day on Ice.

amirite
350 posts
9 Aug 2019 8:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
slide said..
is there a kite landboarding section , if not can we have one plz, I have been doing this sport since 2003, it is kitesurfing on a hard beach , with a light weight mountain board , check out my avatar/picture

tries to hijack thread
gets totally ignored

causehecan
WA, 668 posts
9 Aug 2019 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

I got his back.

Slide
The pussycats and tired old drunks who hate water almost as much as theyre dislike for soap tend to congregate on xk aka extreme kites theres a large number of us both here and theyre but to be honest theres alot more nonsense going on over here so we tend to stay here hope mentioning that doesnt bother lauzarus too much (he'll be back dont worry)

causehecan
WA, 668 posts
9 Aug 2019 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Harrow said..

Wondering whether to switch

It doesn't look awkward if you are doing it right
The first day is the hardest (get wrist guards, use knee pads) but I was better after my first day

If y.

Haaaayyooooooo

Chris_M
2129 posts
9 Aug 2019 2:33PM
Thumbs Up

Same deal over here. Was at Ruapehu 3 weeks ago, 28cm base. Waste of time, took the kids up for a few runs.
This week, 2.2m base, with nearly a metre dumping this weekend.

Lucky works sending me back this coming weekend

AUS1111
WA, 3617 posts
9 Aug 2019 3:29PM
Thumbs Up

Powder = board

Piste = skis

That's how it works in our family anyway. You don't end up carrying a lot if stuff around airports if you want it both ways though...

794 posts
9 Aug 2019 4:58PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Chris M,
I don't think the forum doesn't understand that Rueaphu is volcanic rock which requires at least 2m base to start to link up runs (3m better). Compared to South Island Fields that 50cm fully covers most fields.

Chris_M
2129 posts
9 Aug 2019 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
515 said..
Hi Chris M,
I don't think the forum doesn't understand that Rueaphu is volcanic rock which requires at least 2m base to start to link up runs (3m better). Compared to South Island Fields that 50cm fully covers most fields.

Dafuq you talking about

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"Snow 2019" started by FormulaNova