Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

World Record Dive Attempt (1200ft) Ends in Death

Created by N1GEL > 9 months ago, 19 Aug 2015
pweedas
WA, 4642 posts
19 Aug 2015 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

I wonder why they don't have a small flotation bag which inflates automatically if a sensor doesn't detect movement for 15 seconds, or some predetermined time which is considered reasonable.
It wouldn't need to rocket you up fast. Just something to initiate a gradual ascent.
It would need a pressure of about 600 psi plus to be functional at 1200 feet.
That sort of pressure could be supplied by the air tank.

GalahOnTheBay
NSW, 4188 posts
19 Aug 2015 4:22PM
Thumbs Up

Sad story for all concerned.

More interesting reading relating to the incident can be found here: www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/doc-deep-dies-during-dive.512576/

greenleader
QLD, 5283 posts
19 Aug 2015 9:20PM
Thumbs Up

deep

jn1
2454 posts
19 Aug 2015 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

How do these dives work ?. Does the support divers go down first at various stages and wait for the main dive to ascend ? or does the main diver go down first and the support divers aid his return ?

myusernam
QLD, 6123 posts
20 Aug 2015 8:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pweedas said..
I wonder why they don't have a small flotation bag which inflates automatically if a sensor doesn't detect movement for 15 seconds, or some predetermined time which is considered reasonable. It wouldn't need to rocket you up fast. Just something to initiate a gradual ascent. It would need a pressure of about 600 psi plus to be functional at 1200 feet. That sort of pressure could be supplied by the air tank.

^^^
that would kill u

watch this - Austtralian story. about a guy who died trying to retrieve another dead diver in a cave.
I can't feel too sad about these guys. what they are doing is stupidly dangerous and for nothing other (at least the guy int e the OP topic) other than breaking a record. you can do it in a sub with much less danger if you have a passion for exploring the depths..
what got me about the asutralian story video above is how easily he died. He got slightly tangled in a bit of rope, and was breathing a bit heavy. Because of the extreme depths the act of just breathing slightly heavier killed him. He had shears but couldn't manage to even coordinate the cut of the line. I watched another video on the same dive and the guy said right at the start of the tangle and he begins to breathe a a bit heavier - he said from that point he was a dead man, and he could never survive, just from breathing a bit heavier. And he said that Dave would have known that too. It just seems so pointless.

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
20 Aug 2015 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

GalahOnTheBay said..
Sad story for all concerned.

More interesting reading relating to the incident can be found here: www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/doc-deep-dies-during-dive.512576/

My scuba diving knowledge (or lack there of) has long since left me but the forum/blog Galah posted gives a great rundown on the sheer lunacy of it all.

busterwa
3777 posts
20 Aug 2015 12:58PM
Thumbs Up

Sad story of a man pushing the limits ! pweedas You cant just go to the surface at that depth mate !
I personally don't think rectec divers have any reason to go that deep.

Support divers would of gone down in a bell?
So what happened He ran into trouble on the way down past 300` exceeded his saturation ?

Technology will make tanks redundant !

myusernam
QLD, 6123 posts
21 Aug 2015 6:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
busterwa said..
Sad story of a man pushing the limits ! pweedas You cant just go to the surface at that depth mate ! I personally don't think rectec divers have any reason to go that deep.
Support divers would of gone down in a bell? So what happened He ran into trouble on the way down past 300` exceeded his saturation ? Technology will make tanks redundant !

yeajh i did some reading. technology made tanks redundant years and years ago for those depths. you can go to those depths not a problem if you need to, and many people do with the right gear. but to try with scuba (tanks) and deco is kinda madness because you have to carry so much gas (and constantly vary the gas mix) and do it so fast that you get severe physiological complications that will most likely kill you. there's just no point. there are sat divers on that forum saying that he was always going to die, and for nothing because you can dive there no probs with other technologies. stupid example of human nature.

ThinkaBowtit
WA, 1134 posts
21 Aug 2015 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

I suspect that big suit ^^ wouldn't have fit through the narrow gap at the beginning of his fatal dive, he would have had to use tanks. Can't imagine diving with seven tanks being much fun. I don't see the point of it either, but each to their own. At least he managed to return the body of the diver that went before him...

myusernam
QLD, 6123 posts
21 Aug 2015 3:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ThinkaBowtit said...
I suspect that big suit ^^ wouldn't have fit through the narrow gap at the beginning of his fatal dive, he would have had to use tanks. Can't imagine diving with seven tanks being much fun. I don't see the point of it either, but each to their own. At least he managed to return the body of the diver that went before him...

No the most recent guy subject of the op died in the ocean.
They guy in the cave died trying to retrieve the other dead guy.
You don't need a suit like that. That's basically a sub for amatuers. They can do without that

busterwa
3777 posts
21 Aug 2015 3:48PM
Thumbs Up

The cave diving is pretty interesting by going deeper into the caves archaeologists are finding and carbon dating animal remains
Human remains and analyzing stalagmites stagagtites Beacuse they are virtually untouched

last half hours worth a flick thru !

ThinkaBowtit
WA, 1134 posts
23 Aug 2015 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
myusernam said..

ThinkaBowtit said...

No the most recent guy subject of the op died in the ocean.
They guy in the cave died trying to retrieve the other dead guy.
You don't need a suit like that. That's basically a sub for amatuers. They can do without that

My mistake, and I looked at both links.

OP dive guy was pushing his luck in making a leap from his last deep dive of 800ish to his next (and fatal) of 1200 ft. Too big a jump obviously. I still don't see the point of it. I never liked deco stops, never felt more like shark bait than when hanging about on the anchor rope. Imagine the hours you'd need to hang about when diving that deep.

Spitfire
WA, 396 posts
3 Sep 2015 2:34AM
Thumbs Up

My ears and sinus won't let me go past 3 meters.....385. Wow.

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"World Record Dive Attempt (1200ft) Ends in Death" started by N1GEL