Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

sailing at 108 kph with a 1.8 sq metre sail.

Created by bryan > 9 months ago, 13 Oct 2014
bryan
WA, 121 posts
13 Oct 2014 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

new speed record for a blokart on Lake Lefroy on 27.09.1014. Winds 35 knots gusting 42 at times. More details in the Landsailing forum under Blokarts section.
[img
[/im

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
14 Oct 2014 12:38AM
Thumbs Up

That is scary business in/on a blokart. Congratulations.

I didn't know blokart had a 1.8 metre sail, or was it what they call a 2m sail?

Are you sure that was Lake LeFroy you did it and not Canada in a snow storm.

GalahOnTheBay
NSW, 4188 posts
14 Oct 2014 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

WOW!

What a great effort, and no doubt a huge set of brass balls to match...

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
14 Oct 2014 4:31PM
Thumbs Up

Great stuff but
I am not really we should call this driving not sailing rather (?)

Ian K
WA, 4049 posts
14 Oct 2014 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macroscien said..
Great stuff but

It's all part of the sailing continuum Macro.

At one end of the spectrum we're sailing in very deep water but here, at the other end of the spectrum, the sailing is done in a thin film of oil that is cleverly carried along with the device. AKA wheel bearings. There's a serious ground effect to be had in wheel bearings which gives a great advantage in reducing drag. Skiffle boards are the next step, but we haven't worked out how to get the lateral resistance essential to sailing in a few mm of water. Maybe one day multiple short finlets will be able to scavenge enough water to throw sideways to generate lateral resistance.

Shallow water speed sailing with bottom-raking delta fins is the next step and then, when water depth >> hull width, where ground effect finally disappears, you're at the traditional end of the sailing spectrum.

Macroscien
QLD, 6806 posts
14 Oct 2014 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ian K said..

Macroscien said..
Great stuff but

It's all part of the sailing continuum Macro.

At one end of the spectrum we're sailing in very deep water but here, at the other end of the spectrum, the sailing is done in a thin film of oil that is cleverly carried along with the device. AKA wheel bearings. There's a serious ground effect to be had in wheel bearings which gives a great advantage in reducing drag. Skiffle boards are the next step, but we haven't worked out how to get the lateral resistance essential to sailing in a few mm of water. Maybe one day multiple short finlets will be able to scavenge enough water to throw sideways to generate lateral resistance.

Shallow water speed sailing with bottom-raking delta fins is the next step and then, when water depth >> hull width, where ground effect finally disappears, you're at the traditional end of the sailing spectrum.

So how do you call sailing on the ice and snow? Skating ? Driving or again Sailing ?
You still could claim that skating still happen on thin layer of melted water ...

"....The rumored, but unconfirmed, top speed of an iceboat is over 130 knots (240 km/h; 150 mph). One reference to a timed run on Lake Geneva, Wisconsin reported an "E-Skeeter" as having reached 137 knots (254 km/h; 158 mph)....."

Are we surfing or sailing on wind boards and kites ?

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
15 Oct 2014 2:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

This is called semantics.

Gorgo
VIC, 4982 posts
15 Oct 2014 3:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macroscien said..

Yes.

Test pilot 1
WA, 1430 posts
15 Oct 2014 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

This is called semantics.

Whats seman got to do with it

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
15 Oct 2014 10:38PM
Thumbs Up

Seaman Staynes comes after Master Bates.

bryan
WA, 121 posts
17 Oct 2014 11:46PM
Thumbs Up

way off topic

cisco
QLD, 12337 posts
18 Oct 2014 2:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bryan said..
way off topic

Macrosicen started it with his semantics. Then TP1 asked about seman. One has to respond.

Next thing someone is going to say that this post should not be in the General Discussion section.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
19 Oct 2014 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macroscien said..
Great stuff but

yep they were sailing .
set off on a series of really tight tacks a few kms to windward then bravely broad reach down at 100kph + towards a 1m high bank of rocks,with large lumps of wet salt being hurled at your face . you cant see out of your goggles, or breath through your mouth, its also bumpy as the wind is pushing the wet surface salt into little ridges that are getting bigger due to evaporation. the little ridges are trapping water (brine0 behind them to make puddles.
your minlandyacht is 1.55m wide x1.7m long and 25kg and the balance between going forward and losing control is a forward and backward body motion of about 100mm or less,which you achieve by flexing your knees and fine tune by moving your head fore and aft. you are working a sheetrope with 1 hand and the steering with the other.
that causeway is still coming up and you have a turning circle of about 100m, and yes that white colour on your tyres is CANVAS that lives under the rubber . the 35knts isnt enough to maintain the 100 so you are out sailing hoping for that 40+ gust which will push you over.
I should mention that the salt they were sailing on was a new crust that formed over mud this year. the side load from the wheels can crack the crust and force a sheet to slide away(bad), also the wind can get UNDER the crust and in big winds the crust can flip over like big sheets of glass . ive been caught once in those conditions whilst on foot and all you can do is lay down low on the salt till the gust passes. you can also punch the front wheel through the crust which stops the yacht in its own length, and spits you out through the carbon boom/sail /pod.
of course the boys had no idea of all these little things which is why little ol me with my more aged bits was watching ,not sailing
kn oath its sailing
when you stand

bryan
WA, 121 posts
19 Oct 2014 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

Went out last Thursday with a group of 5 newbies for a session on the lake. They were inspired by the "catalyst " show on the ABC.

It was blowing like crazy, my unhitched trailer took off down the causeway again. Must remember to hook back up when every thing is out of the back of the ute.

Had the 2 seater which was the only way they were going to get a sail that day. Getting up to 50 kph and putting it in a slide was hugely amusing for all parties concerned. Salt going everywhere.

When they had their fill I set up the Fastest Blokart in the world for a run with a 2m sail and no side panels. Topped out at 89 kph with a double 360 deg spin.

Stayed upright, these blokarts are amazing machines, can't bust 'em, I flog them hard to the limit. Not sure what the limits are,I'm sure 110kph plus are possible

Skid
QLD, 1499 posts
20 Oct 2014 1:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
landyacht said..

Macroscien said..
Great stuff but

yep they were sailing .
set off on a series of really tight tacks a few kms to windward then bravely broad reach down at 100kph + towards a 1m high bank of rocks,with large lumps of wet salt being hurled at your face . you cant see out of your goggles, or breath through your mouth, its also bumpy as the wind is pushing the wet surface salt into little ridges that are getting bigger due to evaporation. the little ridges are trapping water (brine0 behind them to make puddles.
your minlandyacht is 1.55m wide x1.7m long and 25kg and the balance between going forward and losing control is a forward and backward body motion of about 100mm or less,which you achieve by flexing your knees and fine tune by moving your head fore and aft. you are working a sheetrope with 1 hand and the steering with the other.
that causeway is still coming up and you have a turning circle of about 100m, and yes that white colour on your tyres is CANVAS that lives under the rubber . the 35knts isnt enough to maintain the 100 so you are out sailing hoping for that 40+ gust which will push you over.
I should mention that the salt they were sailing on was a new crust that formed over mud this year. the side load from the wheels can crack the crust and force a sheet to slide away(bad), also the wind can get UNDER the crust and in big winds the crust can flip over like big sheets of glass . ive been caught once in those conditions whilst on foot and all you can do is lay down low on the salt till the gust passes. you can also punch the front wheel through the crust which stops the yacht in its own length, and spits you out through the carbon boom/sail /pod.
of course the boys had no idea of all these little things which is why little ol me with my more aged bits was watching ,not sailing
kn oath its sailing
when you stand

Sailing, driving, whatever you call it, it would be exciting and take some balls to do at that level.
Good to see folks having good clean fun and doing it with passion. Thanks for sharing...

sn
WA, 2775 posts
20 Oct 2014 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

I thought I was the ducks guts when I hit 80 clicks on Hepburn Avenue in my Lefroy Mini [before it was opened to the public]

100+ klicks on Lefroy in a Blokart......I'm surprised your nuts fit in the thing.

Top marks fellas.

stephen

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"sailing at 108 kph with a 1.8 sq metre sail." started by bryan